Zaandam and Rotterdam Situation (merged topics starting March 22, 2020)

bouhunter

20 minutes ago, DFD1 said:

As I understand it, the Broward County Commission must vote to approve the plan submitted. Until they do that not much more is likely to happen except the on-land preparations taking place to accept the passengers.

That is my understanding as well from a post by Commissioner Udine.

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2020/04/02/fort-lauderdale-coronavirus-holland-americas-zaandam-rotterdam-off-coast-of-south-florida-still-no-docking-plan/

9 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

The Commission asked questions; Carnival rep did not have answers at the time on Tuesday and had to go back and work on a plan.  There was no grandstanding involved.  Please keep in mind the commissioners were asking questions about HAL preparedness and taking into account public safety; they are doing a thankless job and won't make everyone happy but at least reporting facts straight would be respectful of their efforts. 

I am quite certain that the urgency involved in this decision has kept the County Commission from voting on any of this.  It would have to be done at a public meeting, with proper notification of subject matter.  I believe all they could do was to ask questions during the "informative session".  Call it a workshop, if you will.

https://broward.granicus.com/player/clip/4144?view_id=15 

7 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

There may be discussion and questions, as part of the "Unified Command",  But doubtful that they are voting on this.  

Remember:  Florida Sunshine Laws prevail

Edited by sansterre

2 minutes ago, zonacruiser25 said:

So they can be infectious and not know it and need to self quarantine at home.  Meanwhile, they mingle with port and airport workers and flight crews (essential (expendable) workers are exposed.  Then those workers go home to families and expose them.  Self isolation at home does not prevent this.  

Anyone incoming and outgoing at an airport or cruise port is an unknown quantity. Sure the port workers could be be protected, but only by shutting down the ports and airports and with it their livelihoods. Risk is inherent with these jobs. The seas around Florida are still full of cruises coming and going from the Bahamas, etc. Why have these not been shut down?

The Zaandam and Rotterdam cruisers who are feeling OK (and have been quarantined for nearly two weeks) are less of an unknown quantity, having been in close proximity to COVID-19 - but they will be under closer control and supervision than pax arriving on a flight from NYC.

Let's get these folks home and protect Florida's reputation and economic base for whatever future the cruise industry holds.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, sansterre said:

There may be discussion and questions, as part of the "Unified Command",  But doubtful that they are voting on this.  

Remember:  Florida Sunshine Laws prevail

What are "Florida Sunshine Laws"?  Just interested....

Yea! for Unified Command!  I work in wildland firefighting and Unified Command makes things happen.  Cuts the grandstanding and the posturing.  No one person can hold up the progress, they all get their say but then the mission moves forward taking into account all factors and balancing risks TO GET THE MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.  

Blessings to all involved, those aboard are "our family", passengers, staff and crew, all!  

Maureen

• Like 6

Question: how much is FEMA an influence here to help get the ships in for humanitarian reasons?

Seems Florida utilizes help from FEMA quite a bit during hurricanes so......

Just asking. It does seem very political.

Hope this happens soon and all parties are good with the plan.

1 minute ago, BellKat said:

Just had communication with our friend who was on Zaandam & is now on Rotterdam. He says there has been no official notice to them that they are docking today.

Thank you for sharing this update, hoping and praying the passengers and crew get an official "yes" soon.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, bob brown said:

Thank you.  So any vote would have to be public.  I checked Sansterre's link but that was to the March 31st meeting.  Any news of when the Commissioners will be meeting today?  I seem to remember that on the 31st, they said they would meet again today.

Edited by Vict0riann

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:
12 hours ago, TinkBellaMom said:

am kind of confused as to why the ship would come to FLL.  If it was a SA cruise, does it have a large amount of people from that area where it would make sense to at least stay there until they are allowed to dock?  And why not make sure you were going to be allowed to disembark before making the trip to FLL?

I believe this cruise originated in FLL with multiple stops/segments along the way?

It really doesn't matter where/when this cruise originated.  People need help.  

There aren’t. Single largest group by nationality are US at 306, Canadians, ay 265, UK at 228, AU/NZ at 120 the remainder of all nationalities are less than just the number of US citizens. 

The ship left Ft Lauderdale I think in Feb. Disembarked some  and took on new passengers March 7 in Buenos Aires. Next scheduled itinerary passenger change for those not doing the around the horn full SA cruise was to be Santiago Chile March 23. Holland along with other cruise lines shut down and started trying to get passengers home before reaching Santiago but Chile refused to let the passengers disembark and fly home from either the port before San Antonio or San Antonio so the ship headed straight for its final destination of Ft Lauderdale where it had been due to dock April 7. Asking ports it had been scheduled to stop at along the way to allow them to dock so passengers could get home sooner. Nobody let them dock and it took a lot of pressure to get Panama to let them through the canal. Which was transited in record breaking time. 

When these folks left whether from Ft Lauderdale or to board in Buenos Aires in early March there were no travel advisories for their itinerary only fro Asia and even then not all Asian countries. So let’s quit applying hindsight and get people home. 

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, cdwise said:

There aren’t. Single largest group by nationality are US at 306, Canadians, ay 265, UK at 228, AU/NZ at 120 the remainder of all nationalities are less than just the number of US citizens. 

The ship left Ft Lauderdale I think in Feb. Disembarked some  and took on new passengers March 7 in Buenos Aires. Next scheduled itinerary passenger change for those not doing the around the horn full SA cruise was to be Santiago Chile March 23. Holland along with other cruise lines shut down and started trying to get passengers home before reaching Santiago but Chile refused to let the passengers disembark and fly home from either the port before San Antonio or San Antonio so the ship headed straight for its final destination of Ft Lauderdale where it had been due to dock April 7. Asking ports it had been scheduled to stop at along the way to allow them to dock so passengers could get home sooner. Nobody let them dock and it took a lot of pressure to get Panama to let them through the canal. Which was transited in record breaking time. 

When these folks left whether from Ft Lauderdale or to board in Buenos Aires in early March there were no travel advisories for their itinerary only fro Asia and even then not all Asian countries. So let’s quit applying hindsight and get people home. 

Good precis.  Thanks.

• Like 2

The Port Everglades web cam shows the American flag waving in the breeze. What a site that will be for the Passengers. I knew we would get it done. It is in our blood. Bring it home.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

What are "Florida Sunshine Laws"?  Just interested....

http://myfloridalegal.com/webfiles.nsf/WF/MNOS-B9QQ79/$file/SunshineManual.pdf

Unless a meeting was publicly advertised two weeks prior and with an agenda item of 

"Port Everglades disembarkation rules" or something similar,  no vote can be taken.

However, there can be a workshop, where information is imparted and questions and concerned addressed.

The Sunshine Law increases transparency for city and county governments and encourages public participation.  The Sunshine Laws also prevent any discussion of issues between commissioners;  all discussion on a subject is public/in the sunshine!

Surprisingly, they do not apply to State meetings or State legislators.

I am sure that the reason for the delay in docking is that not all the details of the debarkation have been worked out. Also from what I understand the attorneys representing each entity had to sign off on the written agreement.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BellKat said:

Just had communication with our friend who was on Zaandam & is now on Rotterdam. He says there has been no official notice to them that they are docking today.

Please let them know that our thoughts and/or prayers are with them for their safe return home.

• Like 2