Zaandam and Rotterdam Situation (merged topics starting March 22, 2020)

bouhunter

So glad some humanitarian thinking came through. Wishing ALL the people, no matter where they are from

all the best...…..treatments/planes/quarantines, etc...…...

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, ShipWalker said:

Are there any websites to listen in on to ship to shore  movements such as the ones for air traffic controllers and train dispatchers?

Click on VHF on the top of the PE webcam for comms. They are finishing bringin that tanker in with audio between the tugs and pilot

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

I'm impressed with your eyesight!  I can't see beyond the buildings.

They are on the horizon on the Fort Lauderdale SE webcam (there are two on that site).  Quite clearly.

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ShipWalker said:

Are there any websites to listen in on to ship to shore  movements such as the ones for air traffic controllers and train dispatchers?

On the Fort Lauderdale webcam, there is a button for "VHF" monitoring...

edit:  Ya gotta be quick or by the time you answer, Copper has already done it...😄

Edited by bob brown
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Which webcam is that?

Fort Lauderdale one.  Top left hand corner you can click on the SE camera.

One ship disappeared, now back again.  On the tweets, they are labeled, which is which.

Zaandam is on the left of the screen, Rottie right.

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Thanks for posting this. So, if this is accurate, a big whopping ten people will be swamping the local hospitals?????? 

It drives me crazy that cruise ships are assumed to be totally infected while planes are still arriving in FLL. The other day, I opened the webcam and the only thing I saw moving was a plane on its final approach.

I hope the quarantine-bus system will work to get "healthy" passengers on their way.

You are welcome.  The concern as I understand it is that the so called "healthy" passengers, i.e., asymptomatic, may actually be carriers of COVID also.  According to Dr. Fauci about 25% of infected people are asymptomatic so if he is correct dispersing people to fly "home" will create further problems at their destinations.  I hope the "healthy" are asked to quarantine at home.

Edited by bluesea321
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Fort Lauderdale one.  Top left hand corner you can click on the SE camera.

One ship disappeared, now back again.  On the tweets, they are labeled, which is which.

Good eye Ann! Ft. Lauderdale cam, extreme left side of the screen/middle of the pic on the horizon

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 1

I read that healthy passengers will be bused to airports for flights home.  Hopefully this will be a controlled event with significant testing.  We all want everyone to get home and be safe.  I am praying that all is being done to keep the port workers, bus drivers, airport personnel and flight crews remain safe.  This is critical to prevent further spread of the virus! 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Thanks for posting this. So, if this is accurate, a big whopping ten people will be swamping the local hospitals?????? 

It drives me crazy that cruise ships are assumed to be totally infected while planes are still arriving in FLL. The other day, I opened the webcam and the only thing I saw moving was a plane on its final approach.

I hope the quarantine-bus system will work to get "healthy" passengers on their way.

I agree.  And there has been a plan by HAL - it was presented for about two hours by a representative from Carnival at the Broward County Commission meeting on Tuesday.  But grandstanding and details have delayed docking needlessly.  I hope there are not any more deaths on board while we wait to make sure Florida is not impacted by healthy cruises returning home and "less than ten people" in need of medical assistance.

I will post a link to that meeting (again).

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, janetz said:

Just on the news

Ill passengers to be transferred the hospital

This is the right thing to do.

Yes, yesterday it was reported that there were 10 that needed hospitalization and that Hal had secured a hospital to take them. 

• Like 1

Just now, bluesea321 said:

You are welcome.  The concern as I understand it is that the so called "healthy" pax, i.e., asymptomatic, may actually be carriers of COVID also.  According to Dr. Fauci about 25% of infected people are asymptomatic so if he is correct dispersing people to fly "home" will create further problems at their destinations.  I hope the "healthy" are asked to quarantine at home.

People are still flying and being asked to isolate after they get home. Cruise passengers can do the same. And wherever they're going, the virus is already there.  

The biggest problem with spreading the virus is the people who do not comply with requests/orders to isolate. People are still having social gatherings despite the social distancing guidelines. NJ police have broken up several parties and closed non-essential businesses. NYC had to close all playgrounds because people were still gathering to play basketball, etc. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Why not?

A lot of the ships start in Florida  & head  to other Countries

They have many Americans/Canadians/Brits/Australians  onboard

just because  embarkation was in SA does not mean they are all from SA

The continuation of the Zaandam cruise from Buenos Aires to San Antonio, Chile was a cruise from San Antonio to Ft. Lauderdale, scheduled to arrive in FLL on April 7.  The Rotterdam was originally on a Panama Canal cruise headed to Ft. Lauderdale, scheduled to arrive 3/27, which ended in Puerto Vallarta instead. 

I took those back to back cruises on the Zaandam last year and there were people from 34 countries on board, very few from South America.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

They are on the horizon on the Fort Lauderdale SE webcam (there are two on that site).  Quite clearly.

I see where  it says "we have two cameras" but where to click?  I clicked on that message and nothing happened.

18 minutes ago, Lois R said:

So glad some humanitarian thinking came through. Wishing ALL the people, no matter where they are from

all the best...…..treatments/planes/quarantines, etc...…...

Ditto, sending prayers to everyone on all ends, god bless you all !!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fanpower said:

Zaandam and Rotterdam are due east of the port entrance around the spot the pilot boarded the last ship.

Actually a bit too far to the east 😉 Nothing is going to happen now until Broward County acts and changes "conditional approval" to approval

• Like 1