How are things where YOU are? (in relation to the Corona Virus)

33 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Poor NZ did everything right with the early lockdown to get no virus cases.  Then selfish people broke the rules.  Now I see a family from Melbourne have broken the rules also.  

Which family from Melbourne? what did they do?

Leigh

On 6/17/2020 at 11:51 AM, OzKiwiJJ said:

I agree with the above. I can't see Australia or NZ opening their borders to unrestricted arrivals from countries that are still battling the virus and, so far there are no signs of the US having any control over the outbreaks at all.

If cruising does commence here in the next few months it will probably be restricted to Australians and NZers only.

I agree. We have a NZ cruise booked for late November and I will be very surprised if it goes ahead. I don't believe their is any chance at all of tourists from other parts of the world (other than NZ) being allowed into Australia in January. As someone else said, "January 2022 maybe".

4 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Family of six given special permission to attend a funeral didn't come back to designated hotel.

Oh no, haven’t heard that. When did it happen?

11 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Oh no, haven’t heard that. When did it happen?

18/6.  Quarantine runaways attend Mongrel Mob Funeral.  NZ Herald.

Family of six fled after NZ Virus exemption 

news.com.au 

Edited by MMDown Under
  • Like 1

On 6/17/2020 at 11:34 PM, Beanb41 said:

A state of emergency has not been declared. What is happening is that professional military personnel who know how to follow orders have taken over from incompetent public servants who by their neglect have put our country at risk of a 2nd wave of Covid 19. What is even more tragic that Saint Ashley the Patron Saint of Covid 19 is still in his job as is the equally incompetent Minister of Health. When the brown stuff hit the fan yesterday  where was Cinderella to answer questions from the media hiding on Facebook.  Dont think after the happenings of yesterday you are going to see our borders open anytime soon. We are now at least 14 days away from seeing if these two inconsiderate women have infected anyone else after their kids and cuddle with friends having got lost driving from Auckland to Wellington.

It’s been made a bit clearer today . The military Defence Chief , who has been appointed has been  there all the time in an advisory role . He is now taking  over in a supervisory position .

37 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

It’s been made a bit clearer today . The military Defence Chief , who has been appointed has been  there all the time in an advisory role . He is now taking  over in a supervisory position .

Not just a supervisory job but in total control. I am picking that over coming days the military will move into all the isolation establishments and MOH very much sidelined. I am also picking that they will be dressed in civvies to avoid the look of a pseudo coup. 

Talk back is still red hot about this debacle. The country is livid and as time goes on more and more stuff ups by the MOH are becoming apparent. This incident has put back opening of the borders to heaven knows when

42 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

I thought NZ was using the defence facilities for quarantine facilities.

7 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I thought NZ was using the defence facilities for quarantine facilities.

A Navy training establishment was used for one intake of returnees. It was vacant in between intakes of new trainees. The trainees had been housed there during the closedown as a huge bubble whilst their training continued unaffected.  There are now around 4000 in compulsory isolation in different stages, too many for the Military to accommodate. Each person in isolation is costing the taxpayer around $1500 per week. It is now overdue that this cost is passed back to the individual as part of the cost of coming home as all returnees are volunteers to return to return home or otherwise. 

I would expect the NZ Defence Force people doing the guarding at the quarantine places will be given powers to detain etc.  That is why in Sydney NSW Police did the guarding at quarantine hotels, supported by the Australian Defence Force men and women.  Quite simple for the Commissioner of Police to appoint Special Constables.

Edited by NSWP

4 minutes ago, Beanb41 said:

I dont think it's an issue of detaining people perse just a matter of ensuring that the current rules are enforced. 

But if someone wants to 'escape' their 5 star quarantine hotel, than you have to have people with powers to detain them.  If you know what I mean.  NZ Govt just would need to introduce some legislation in Windy Wellington.

22 minutes ago, NSWP said:

But if someone wants to 'escape' their 5 star quarantine hotel, than you have to have people with powers to detain them.  If you know what I mean.  NZ Govt just would need to introduce some legislation in Windy Wellington.

but  some don’t want to escape , in one reported but unconfirmed case , a homeless man joined the line of people getting off the bus from the airport and entered the lockdown hotel with them .He scored 1 weeks accom with 3 meals a day before they twigged  that he wasn’t part of the group . 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

but  some don’t want to escape , in one reported but unconfirmed case , a homeless man joined the line of people getting off the bus from the airport and entered the lockdown hotel with them .He scored 1 weeks accom with 3 meals a day before they twigged  that he wasn’t part of the group . 🤔

Good on him.

• Haha 1

Another sign of the downturn , what was a busy travel office in our local village shopping centre now stands empty , and is devoid of any signage , except for a big To Lease sign.

The Captain has left the building .✈️🛳✈️🛳😳

16 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Off topic David, but I pass on my condolences re the NZ Police Officer murdered this morning. RIP.

Thanks Les.

It was a routine traffic stop  Another officer was shot in the same incident, and he is still in hospital. A member of the public was hit and injured by a vehicle and is also in hospital. The offenders fled and are still at large .As I post all police in Auckland are armed .

• Like 1