How are things where YOU are? (in relation to the Corona Virus)

1 minute ago, lyndarra said:

I've noticed a few reports lately that asymptomatic carriers do not pass the infection until symptoms start appearing. It may be a 'get out of jail free card' if it's correct.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

"The World Health Organisation has tried to clear up confusing comments about how often people can spread the coronavirus when they do not have symptoms.

The organisation held a live Q&A on its social media pages to address questions about comments made by a WHO official that suggested asymptomatic people only rarely spread COVID-19.

The comments appeared to directly contradict guidance from public health organizations, including the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which have said about a third of coronavirus infections may be asymptomatic. The CDC also estimates that 40 per cent of coronavirus transmission is occurring before people feel sick, meaning they are presymptomatic." Source

18 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Covid 19 is no where near done just yet, especially as some countries have lifted restrictions far too early.

The Economy vs Lives and we all know what big business wants. 

All  business ,big and small  , want to get  going so they can generate those nasty things called profits .....

then they will be able to pay wages and taxes and not rely on Govt subsidies .

Stand by  for coming out of lockdown ,no more wage subsidies , and then watch for the fallout as the credit cycle they work on catches up .

14 hours ago, By The Bay said:
Sorry to burst your bubble.

"The World Health Organisation has tried to clear up confusing comments about how often people can spread the coronavirus when they do not have symptoms.

The organisation held a live Q&A on its social media pages to address questions about comments made by a WHO official that suggested asymptomatic people only rarely spread COVID-19.

The comments appeared to directly contradict guidance from public health organizations, including the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which have said about a third of coronavirus infections may be asymptomatic. The CDC also estimates that 40 per cent of coronavirus transmission is occurring before people feel sick, meaning they are presymptomatic." Source

There is still a lot of unknowns with this virus.

Recently from WHO.

"A top World Health Organization official clarified on Tuesday that scientists have not determined yet how frequently people with asymptomatic cases of Covid-19 pass the disease on to others, a day after suggesting that such spread is “very rare.”

The clarification comes after the WHO’s original comments incited strong pushback from outside public health experts, who suggested the agency had erred, or at least miscommunicated, when it said people who didn’t show symptoms were unlikely to spread the virus.

Maria Van Kerkhove, the WHO’s technical lead on the Covid-19 pandemic, made it very clear Tuesday that the actual rates of asymptomatic transmission aren’t yet known.

“The majority of transmission that we know about is that people who have symptoms transmit the virus to other people through infectious droplets,” Van Kerkhove said. “But there are a subset of people who don’t develop symptoms, and to truly understand how many people don’t have symptoms, we don’t actually have that answer yet.”

Van Kerkhove’s remarks on Tuesday came at a WHO question-and-answer session aimed at explaining what was known and unknown about how the virus spreads.

Some of the confusion boiled down to the details of what an asymptomatic infection actually is, and the different ways the term is used. While some cases of Covid-19 are fully asymptomatic, sometimes the word is also used to describe people who haven’t started showing symptoms yet, when they are presymptomatic. Research has shown that people become infectious before they

start feeling sick, during that presymptomatic period.

At one of the WHO’s thrice-weekly press briefings Monday, Van Kerkhove noted that when health officials review cases that are initially reported to be asymptomatic, “we find out that many have really mild disease.” There are some infected people who are “truly asymptomatic,” she said, but countries that are doing detailed contact tracing are “not finding secondary transmission onward” from those cases. “It’s very rare,” she said."

On 5/14/2020 at 6:16 PM, MicCanberra said:

I will pass on everyone's condolences.

At this stage, I doubt cruising again or returning here to post are in his near future but you never know.

Greetings my CC friends, I came back, but I did not 'Come Back New.   Been a rugged month or so after the passing of my wife on 10 May.  Still is tough, believe me. Anyway thank you all for your kind words and support on here, I have perused same.

See you on the boards, albeit it, softly, softly.   Stay safe it is a jungle out there.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Greetings my CC friends, I came back, but I did not 'Come Back New.   Been a rugged month or so after the passing of my wife on 10 May.  Still is tough, believe me. Anyway thank you all for your kind words and support on here, I have perused same.

See you on the boards, albeit it, softly, softly.   Stay safe it is a jungle out there.

Welcome Back!  You have been in our thoughts and good wishes. 

40 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Nice to see you back, my deepest condolences on the passing of your wife. I have thought of you often during your absence (as in I wonder what Les would say) Be well and I look forward to seeing you on the boards.

55 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Condolences on your loss, it is good to see you are coming back to the world, that is one of the hardest parts😟😞

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Welcome back, Les. I wish I could give you these {{{{{{hugs}}}}}} in person. Hopefully virtual {{{{{{hugs}}}}}} do the trick instead. We have missed you.

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

Thinking of you, if there is anything I can do (and most here will join in with us too) just let me know.

Australia is being a bit weird - they are talking about allowing people in stadiums but only 25% of capacity - but that could still be 10,000 people - but they are still restricting the rules for weddings and funerals.

Sorry to be a bit of a kill joy for those hoping to arrive in cruise ships to NZ in the near future. It has been reported today that the petrie dish known as the Ruby Princess had COVID 19 on board before it arrived in New Zealand and even more infected people on board when it pulled into Napier for a day visit. It has also been reported that because of this visit to Napier many New Zealanders also became infected with COVID 19 arising from contact with Ruby Princess passengers. Fortunately the report goes that the Ruby Princess by passed Tauranga and returned to Australia before many more were infected. It should be noted that 22 Ruby Princess passengers died and over 700 were infected with the virus.

There doesnt appear to be any great desire amongst New Zealanders to see an immediate return of cruise ships. I don't see the govt relaxing the ports exclusion any time soon especially with an election coming up in September. The Govt is concentrating putting together a Trans Tasman bubble with NZ and Australia as its first international post Covid agenda and because of the instability of state lock downs in Australia that doesn't appear to happen any time soon. Until cruise ships can guarantee that they are COVID 19 free and I wouldn't like to be the guy who signs that piece of paper I cant see them coming anytime soon. I think it is safe to bet that we wont be amongst the first to open our ports and indications that I see are that not too many if any other countries are keen for them to return

5 hours ago, NSWP said:

All the best. It's a rugged time. It's been one month short of two years since I lost my wife and I still struggle day to day with loss of 50 years of love and companionship.

I see that some people are choosing to roll out the cliche parade "the Petri dish" known as Ruby Princess and the ubiquitous "many" infected. Let's put some actual numbers on "Many" in this case there were 22 cases of Covid 19 in New Zealand attributed to Ruby Princess. I'm not dismissing the suffering of those affected but 22 is not that many. And let's not forget the if only part, if Ruby Princess had not bypassed Tauranga many more would have been infected. Well she was recalled and the good people of Tauranga didn't have to worry about her.

As I understand it the cruise season down under was winding down when the stop sail orders came down either from the cruise lines or Governments. I would suggest that you ask New Zealanders and Australians that make their living from the cruise industry when they would like to see cruise ships back. I'm thinking that the normal season opening in October will probably be the answer.

Recently some members of the City Council in Victoria BC Canada were beaking off about the bad cruise ships and how we should curtail them. Now those same councilors are finding out what it means to lose 125 million dollars from our local economy...oops careful what you wish for. It seems to me that with REASONABLE precautions the risks can be greatly reduced perhaps not eliminated. Keep in mind everything in life has a risk factor, in the grand scheme of things you have a better chance of being taken out by a drunk driver than Covid 19.

1 hour ago, Beanb41 said:

Sorry to be a bit of a kill joy for those hoping to arrive in cruise ships to NZ in the near future. It has been reported today that the petrie dish known as the Ruby Princess had COVID 19 on board before it arrived in New Zealand and even more infected people on board when it pulled into Napier for a day visit. It has also been reported that because of this visit to Napier many New Zealanders also became infected with COVID 19 arising from contact with Ruby Princess passengers. Fortunately the report goes that the Ruby Princess by passed Tauranga and returned to Australia before many more were infected. It should be noted that 22 Ruby Princess passengers died and over 700 were infected with the virus.

Well, duh! Of course the virus was on the ship before it arrived in NZ. It is a high probability that it was brought onboard by an embarking passenger who had just flown in from overseas for the cruise. The total number of cases onboard at the time she arrived back in Australia was too high for the virus to have been brought on the ship from one of the NZ ports, so that fact has been obvious right from the start to anyone who had followed the very similar Diamond Princess timeline. That is not new news.

However I was under the impression that only one person in Napier had contracted the virus from direct contact with a Ruby passenger and, as presumably proper contact tracing and isolation of contacts would have been carried out as soon as that person was diagnosed, I can't see how "many" NZers were also infected from Ruby. From the statistics I've seen it appears that the majority of cases in NZ came from people who had flown into the country - a fact that the media conveniently ignores every time.

Once the various ports start feeling the pinch from the loss of the cruise ship income then pressure will come on the NZ government to allow cruise ships back, although I would imagine there would be some restrictions ie ships only operating in the Trans Tasman bubble with no passengers from outside Australia and NZ. 

7 hours ago, NSWP said:

Good to see you back here on the threads. Do what you can here when you can and you stay safe as well.

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Australia is being a bit weird - they are talking about allowing people in stadiums but only 25% of capacity - but that could still be 10,000 people - but they are still restricting the rules for weddings and funerals.

As long as the 4m2 rule is being applied, venues inside or outside can operate.

16 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Interesting aside to the Covoid Lockdown ..the number of reported flu cases is well down .It will be interesting to see what happens as things get back to the usual .

"Is social distancing due to COVID-19 getting you down? Take heart: your hard work to flatten the curve is also having a positive effect on other flu-like illnesses." Source

image.png.3b9e890f1bdab2b85ee4a41c5e2d7c72.png

27 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Interesting aside to the Covoid Lockdown ..the number of reported flu cases is well down .It will be interesting to see what happens as things get back to the usual .

Whooping cough has gone through the floor as well. There are lessons to be learned from both these two reductions. I just hope they are headed. Currently we have a lot more Weller people as a result