How are things where YOU are? (in relation to the Corona Virus)

1 minute ago, Docker123 said:

Social responsibility at its finest:

More than 2200 Victorians have been busted for multiple virus breaches during lockdown – including one man who has copped the $1652 fine 24 times. 

A staggering 1531 people in the state have received the $1652 fee twice, while the worst rulebreaker is a 27-year-old from Hallam who clocked up his 24th offence on Thursday

Well I'm thinking Mr. 24 needs to be cooling his ego in Jail

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well I'm thinking Mr. 24 needs to be cooling his ego in Jail

That might be the only solution. Maybe, just maybe, he is prepared to rack up fines because he can't pay. Or maybe he thinks that it will all magically be waived when this emergency is finally over.

1 hour ago, Roger88 said:

I dont know whether you heard or  not but in Germany they had like the biggest protest this week since the pandemic which was aimed against all those protection measures. If you think about how big the wholes are in your mask the size of the virus.. you might reconsider these "precaution" measures.. 

Roger 888, perhaps I'm not having a good day but I don't really understand what the German protest, holes in our masks and these 'precaution' measures mean in your above post. 

Leigh

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Roger 888, perhaps I'm not having a good day but I don't really understand what the German protest, holes in our masks and these 'precaution' measures mean in your above post.

I've seen some of his other posts, he is a bit of a conspiracy theorist. Apparently John Hopkins University is part of a plot to control the world😳.

• Like 2

Just now, ilikeanswers said:

I've seen some of his other posts, he is a bit of a conspiracy theorist. Apparently John Hopkins University is part of a plot to control the world😳.

Thank you.

10 hours ago, Roger88 said:

I dont know whether you heard or  not but in Germany they had like the biggest protest this week since the pandemic which was aimed against all those protection measures. If you think about how big the wholes are in your mask the size of the virus.. you might reconsider these "precaution" measures.. 

I don't know whether you heard or not but in the US they've clocked up over 180,000 deaths up to last week due to this virus, without a cure, or preventative vaccination. If you think about how contagious this is, and the impacts on people and the economy from those deaths - let alone the long term health impact - you might reconsider the folly of dropping precautionary measures.

• Like 6

The stats report the number of deaths, but nowhere do we see stats on the number of people left with long-term health issues from the virus. It isn't like the normal flu that a small percentage of people die from, but the others recover without long term health problems.  

• Like 4

It makes you wonder... some people do not get it......

and as far as the wealthy melbournian take his boat for a run up to queensland..... what the.....

t interesting how some people are doing the right thing and others do whatever they want.

Us we are living in our own bubble.. so we can do things for my 94 year old mum living by herself..

Speaking to a relation living in rural victoria... life seam to be normal for them.... he had difficultly understanding we can only go 5km from home and only leave for food and medical....

and being stuck in our apartment.........

Time to start prepping dinner.... Don 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

It makes you wonder... some people do not get it......

and as far as the wealthy melbournian take his boat for a run up to queensland..... what the.....

t interesting how some people are doing the right thing and others do whatever they want.

Us we are living in our own bubble.. so we can do things for my 94 year old mum living by herself..

Speaking to a relation living in rural victoria... life seam to be normal for them.... he had difficultly understanding we can only go 5km from home and only leave for food and medical....

and being stuck in our apartment.........

Time to start prepping dinner.... Don 

Totally with you Don.  They just don't get it - or us down here in lockdown.  Other states can go almost about their normal duties.  Regional Victoria can too.  But us poor people in the Melbourne Metro area, we're prisoners in our own homes.  And we have been for the last 8 weeks. 

Try it Aussies in Qld, NSW, NT, Canberra, SA and WA.  Try staying home for 8 weeks - can't go anywhere further than 5Klm and oh, if you're caught outside your home without a mask ... fine ... $$$$$  One hour per day allowed for exercise!  Fun, fun and not so much fun.

It's not nice.  Just saying.  Keep safe!  Or suffer the consequences!

11 hours ago, LC1950 said:

Totally with you Don.  They just don't get it - or us down here in lockdown.  Other states can go almost about their normal duties.  Regional Victoria can too.  But us poor people in the Melbourne Metro area, we're prisoners in our own homes.  And we have been for the last 8 weeks. 

Try it Aussies in Qld, NSW, NT, Canberra, SA and WA.  Try staying home for 8 weeks - can't go anywhere further than 5Klm and oh, if you're caught outside your home without a mask ... fine ... $$$$$  One hour per day allowed for exercise!  Fun, fun and not so much fun.

It's not nice.  Just saying.  Keep safe!  Or suffer the consequences!

The alternative is worse. Just look at the world's leader in cases.

11 hours ago, LC1950 said:

Totally with you Don.  They just don't get it - or us down here in lockdown.  Other states can go almost about their normal duties.  Regional Victoria can too.  

Just to correct you on the above statement LC1950, regional Victoria are on Stage 3 restrictions, nearly the same as we Melbournians are on. The main difference is that they don't have a curfew and a few more businesses are able to open including hairdressers and their exercise is not as restricted as ours. Pubs, cafes and restaurants are not open except for takeaway, they can't have family and friends visit. They can only go out for the same 4 reasons we can, but don't have a 5 km limit. So no, for the majority, they can't go about their normal business.

Leigh

Ooops, my mistake Possum.  I find all the different 'stages' and their regulations a wee bit confusing sometimes.

I must apologise for my rant yesterday.  I wasn't having a good day, the weather wasn't pleasant and I guess this lockdown stuff was starting to get to me.  Speaking with friends and family on Facetime or the phone is fine, but it's not a patch on seeing them in "real life", is it?  Today will be better I'm sure.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

The stats report the number of deaths, but nowhere do we see stats on the number of people left with long-term health issues from the virus. It isn't like the normal flu that a small percentage of people die from, but the others recover without long term health problems.  

I don't think we'll ever have stat reports of the total number of people with long term health issues resulting from the virus.  Once the virus is over, they might have more time to research the wide ranging after affects.  The costs to the health budget are going to be big, I fear. 

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

I don't think we'll ever have stat reports of the total number of people with long term health issues resulting from the virus.  Once the virus is over, they might have more time to research the wide ranging after affects.  The costs to the health budget are going to be big, I fear. 

I agree with your comment. We will never know how many people have long-term effects from the virus.

I can't understand how a small number of people can claim COVID is a hoax. I don't know what they think these people are ill or dying from. And just imagine how much organisation it would take to have the large number of people who are interviewed telling a similar story about a terrible virus after recovering (partially or fully), or after losing a loved one.😁

I must be a total hermit, the only lockdown restriction that has cause me any pain was when I didn’t think I would be able to go to my baby’s wedding. 

Not going anywhere, not seeing anyone, well who cares? I guess if I couldn’t see Mrs G my not so nice side might show.

I think for some people it is not so much the restrictions that are burdensome but the loss of freedom to just do what you used to do. Instead of going for a drive to a friend to have a coffee or something, you can't, which irks, but you may have gone to moths prior without seeing them and didn't think anything of it. Sometimes it is the little things.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, LC1950 said:

Ooops, my mistake Possum.  I find all the different 'stages' and their regulations a wee bit confusing sometimes.

I must apologise for my rant yesterday.  I wasn't having a good day, the weather wasn't pleasant and I guess this lockdown stuff was starting to get to me.  Speaking with friends and family on Facetime or the phone is fine, but it's not a patch on seeing them in "real life", is it?  Today will be better I'm sure.

We understand, LC1950. 😘

Everyone needs to let off steam occasionally and this forum of online friends brought together through a common interest is a fairly safe place to vent.

Stay safe.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I think for some people it is not so much the restrictions that are burdensome but the loss of freedom to just do what you used to do. Instead of going for a drive to a friend to have a coffee or something, you can't, which irks, but you may have gone to moths prior without seeing them and didn't think anything of it. Sometimes it is the little things.

Yes, it is often the little things, like sitting at a cafe to have a coffee out of a proper cup not a cardboard takeaway one, that niggle the most. 

I long for the day when we don't have to worry about this virus, when all borders are open, and when cruise ships are seen regularly in our harbours. Hopefully that day won't be too far away.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

So many people just need to whinge. Yes, it has been anything but ordinary & we all would like it to be normal, but the over the top complaining is just ridiculous. You are correct as people are complaining that they can't do this & can't do that, but the reality is that the weren't going to be doing that anyway in many cases.

I said only yesterday that it is lucky for many of the whingers that they live now & not when life was really tough - Spanish Flu, Great Depression, WW2. They all would have surely just curled up in a ball & died.

We have adjusted to the current situation and are making the best of it. I worry about my 85 year-old Mum living in a retirement village & have cut back very much in visiting her, but she is accepting of the situation - she has lived a hard life & knows it's not so bad, in terms of what we can & cannot do right now, as many others are also doing.

We are just making the best of it, in a cautious way following the guidelines & restrictions, along with most luckily.

Stay safe all. 

I was brought up to be grateful.  You know the drill - All those poor children in China would love that leftover food on your plate!  I am glad I was poor, as I get so much child like joy and pleasure from small things.  As an only child, I learnt to read and entertain myself, which stands me in good stead, in these difficult times.

Like many seniors, being a vulnerable group, I've been in semi lockdown since March.  I know my daughters worry about me and I don't want to cause them any grief.  

Every day there are reminders of how much things have changed everywhere.  Today the US Tennis Open commenced.  I have a girlfriend in NY and have attended the US Tennis Open.  I miss tennis and Broadway theatre, with audiences, and wonder if I'll ever visit my girlfriend in NY again.

Today 70 new cases in Victoria - another happy dance!  I'm looking forward to Melbourne, Australia's sporting and theatre capital, being back to its vibrant self.  I feel for the people of Melbourne.  Hard to believe that the Australian Tennis Open will have no audiences in January and the theatres are still dark.  

Thinking of the people in WA with catastrophic fire conditions in Spring.  I think we are going to have a long hot summer.  

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

I can't understand how a small number of people can claim COVID is a hoax. I don't know what they think these people are ill or dying from. And just imagine how much organisation it would take to have the large number of people who are interviewed telling a similar story about a terrible virus after recovering (partially or fully), or after losing a loved one.

The most common conspiracy is that it is just the normal flu that the Deep State is pretending to be a pandemic to obviously take over the world🙄. Though in America like the fake school shootings you have the fake pandemic where everyone is actors and the dead are not really dead. It very callous when they protest in front of victims homes😡. They will do anything to hold on to their world view not matter how insanely convoluted the theory. 

• Like 1

I think that we all have come to a point of saturation and feeling put upon for lack of a better phrase. "Why am I trying so hard when those others aren't." 

We have the same thing here. I'm wondering if we are in the second wave now or if we have just prolonged the first wave with our precautions so far.

We are much more cautious now and are wearing masks more than before.

For those in Victoria who are locked down be safe. 

• Like 1