Anyone cancelling cruises for late 2020 out of uncertainty?

12 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

Many people have canceled their cruises already. But I am 100% sure that it will turn upside down right when the crisis will be over. The demand will be so high, that everything will be booked a year ahead. If you really want to go on a cruise, I would suggest buying these cruises for 2021 now. Trust me, later, everything will be overbooked..and the prices will be sky high

Possibly.  Or you’ll see a shake-up to the entire industry that will take years to recover. Frankly, I think that this whole thing will scare off the new cruisers and casual cruisers for quite a while.  I’m talking about people who aren’t on this message board.  The HAL ship headed to Fort Lauderdale is going to put cruises back in the spotlight again, and not in a good way.  The stigma of cruise ships being Petri dishes is going to be a tough one for the entire industry to shake.  Until the virus has been eradicated, older clientele will likely avoid.  The last thing anyone wants from their vacation is to get 1) stuck onboard in a 160 sq. ft. room or 2) sick.  Add in the lost-income factor that will eliminate vacations from many household budgets for the foreseeable future, and you’ve got a perfect storm. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, phabric said:

I have 4 cruises for the next 2 years with other cruise lines none with RC so a FCC would not be useful at this time.

That is what is nice about the choice.  Full refund...or if you can reinvest...125% towards another cruise with them.  I am still undecided if I want a simple full refund and be done with it...or deal with the complications of applying the credit.   Since I currently have 28 cruises booked with RCI...I will find a home for the credit if I go that route.  😉 

We have one booked for mid September that I booked last September. More than likely, will be pushing it out a year because it’s for my kids fall break. I have a surprise trip booked for December, maybe that one will happen?  I’m waiting to decide right before final payment. I don’t want my $ wrapped up in a FCC, because with my kids sports schedule I don’t know how much availability we will have in the upcoming years. 

On 3/28/2020 at 3:29 PM, taglovestocruise said:

They will not be able to take part in the stimulus bill.  Really.  Good bet they all all reorganize with a chapter 7 or 11 bankruptcy.  Wipe out all their debt, stay afloat and business as usual.  Let the big banks take the hit and then the big banks will put it all on the fed. When it comes time to start rehiring employees the bean counters will be first on the list. 

As someone who was working for  a company who was going through Chapter 11 before covid-19 closed us down, I hope that this doesn't happen.  Those FCC's will be worthless. The first thing we had to do was to stop selling store gift cards. Any outstanding gift cards or store credits were void 30 days from the first day of liquidation.  Now we are all fired a decision of the bank. There is talk of asking us to come back when we can open again and work as consultants for the liquidation company.  They do not want any of us bitter associates back. If we come back they better have security because I won't be stopping shoplifters or screening for counterfeit bills. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Sellwingri, what makes you think an October sailing out of Rome is a 90 percent go?  Italy has the 2nd most cases and Spain is increasing rapidly.

Do you think the epidemic will be over by then?

The original poster said she was 90% certain that the cruise will be canceled so I said the opposite.  I do truly believe we will sail.  And yes, we’ll be sailing on Explorer.

21 hours ago, JohnnyThinwallet said:

Booked for mid-September. Hate to say it, but a lot really depends on whether we contract CV between now and then. If we get it & recovered from it and thus have the immunity built up, we’ll go for sure.  If not, then I don’t see that happening.

This is also how I look at it... best wishes for your nurse practitioner wife and family to not get it. Hoping folk who get will have immunity for a while and that the antibody tests will be developed soon.

21 hours ago, island lady said:

That is what is nice about the choice.  Full refund...or if you can reinvest...125% towards another cruise with them.  I am still undecided if I want a simple full refund and be done with it...or deal with the complications of applying the credit.   Since I currently have 28 cruises booked with RCI...I will find a home for the credit if I go that route.  😉 

That's a LOT of cruises!!! I  was already wanting to cut way back on cruises beyond 2020 -  before I ever heard of COVID-19!  I had initially been willing to wait to see whether our September, October, and November cruises sail. Since yesterday, I am more likely to cancel our October cruise before the final payment is due - as that's the only one with a refundable deposit.

We are not going to take our August cruise out of Rome.  We have a non-refundable deposit so I'm assuming we should just take a wait and see approach for the next month until the final payment is due. Has anyone gotten their deposit refunded on cruises after July 31?

1 hour ago, NancyIL said:

That's a LOT of cruises!!! I  was already wanting to cut way back on cruises beyond 2020 -  before I ever heard of COVID-19!  I had initially been willing to wait to see whether our September, October, and November cruises sail. Since yesterday, I am more likely to cancel our October cruise before the final payment is due - as that's the only one with a refundable deposit.

We lost our last fur baby almost a year ago.  Until then...I limited travel to a week at a time...I hated to leave her much, even with a good cat sitter...miss her bunches. 

We are retired and now that we are "pet less"...the DH wanted to do some longer and more exotic cruises before we would think about getting another one.    Thus we got busy booking cruises all the way into 2022...

So..the world shuts us all inside at home.  Sigh...just can't win.  

• Like 1

We’re booked in December, right around “wave 2 Covid” predictions. If the ship sails, we’ll be on it. If not, we’ll take the 125% if it’s offered. If prices go up maybe we’ll come out even. If prices go down maybe we’ll hop on a longer or 25% more expensive itinerary!

I think cruising might resume later this year, but whether international ports are visited is incredibly unlikely. In other words if you embark in the US you will probably stay in the US.

Here in New Zealand the government has made it very clear that they do not expect to reopen borders this year and that it could be as long as 18 months,  that's the expected timeline for a covid-19 vaccine being ready and so for the foreseeable future international travel is done and dusted. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tepukecruisers said:

I think cruising might resume later this year, but whether international ports are visited is incredibly unlikely. In other words if you embark in the US you will probably stay in the US.

Here in New Zealand the government has made it very clear that they do not expect to reopen borders this year and that it could be as long as 18 months,  that's the expected timeline for a covid-19 vaccine being ready and so for the foreseeable future international travel is done and dusted. 

The PSVA won't allow that.

1 hour ago, tepukecruisers said:

Just &*&^% Swell.  I had 10 cruises booked and New Zealand would be the 10th.  I hade not heard all of 2020 so I am hoping you are Wrong.

Who would have thought some dead animals in C Market would make me lose 10 cruise possibly.  But I am sensitive to folks who are losing their lives too.  Just the world is upside down all due to one country and the way they handled it.  so sad.  

• Like 1

I'm not sure how the FCC is issued. We have a cruise booked Dec. 19 on Indy but it's only about 1/2 paid off. If they cancel the cruise, do we just get what we have paid out or will there be extra? Thank you. 

Just playing the waiting game here.  We are booked on Oasis mid June.  I would rather they cancel so we don't have to deal with FCC. It's a family trip with 3 kids ages 16-19. Royal won't let them sail on their own, but will issue FCC in their name(makes no sense to me).

On 3/29/2020 at 2:37 PM, notladjr said:

We have a December 6, 2020 cruise on Harmony. Not cancelling yet but concerned because they do not anticipate having a vaccine for Covid 19 until at least several months after that. My wife and I are in the "vulnerable" catagory. I am over 60 and a diabetic being treated for high blood pressure. She is just old. 

What causes me pause is now they are talking about the virus probably coming in "waves" with it being suppressed during the summer months but having a second wave during what is typically the flue season this coming winter. My December cruise might be right in the middle ofa second wave.

However I am not making any knee jerk decisions and have plenty of time to see what happens. Not so much for our planned 40th anniversary ground trip to England this August.

My wife and I are on the same sailing. In our 40s in decent health, but this thing is taking down healthy people. We look forward to cruising every year, that's our big memorable thing we work hard and spend the whole year looking forward to, but we are just going to see what happens until we near final payment. Not going to risk it over one trip.

• Like 1

• We have a cruise booked for end of August 2020, we have to fly into NY/NJ airport.  Seriously thinking of switching to a cruise out of Port Canaveral end of August since we live in FL and wouldn't have to fly.
  • Like 1