Cruise Canceled; Credit Card Payment Due

lvz2cruz

55 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

LOL-- That's funny -- too bad we never met.  Yet!

A-- Are there sweaters that cost more than $ 50.00 ?? LOL, well I have to take you shopping to some of my favourite stores!

B-- Does " Impulse " mean the same thing as " Need "--- other than a new set of golf clubs ???  Example-- When the salesman tells you your handicap will go from 17 to 3 in " no time ".  He's correct in " No Time " will your handicap come down from 17 to 3. Well, sometimes it is need! LOL as in I think I need a sweater and that one looks great...

100 % correct . It's easy to tell " who's who " and their understanding of general business practices.  Or lack thereof...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pinboy said:

Perhaps I am missing something--

I don't think there is anything to dispute  -- Cruise was booked, paid for by credit card, and later cancelled.

As far as the credit card company is concerned it is a legitimate charge.

As on any credit card the balance is due in full by '' Payment Date '' or monthly interest charges will be incurred.

The fact the you have to wait for a refund from Celebrity has nothing to do with the credit card company.

I would disagree with this.   

I had 3 cruises cancelled by the shut down and advised I would be getting refunds for my Port and Taxes, Prepaid Gratuities and a couple upgrades.  I also had one cruise with two rooms that I asked for a cash refund.  I filed a dispute stating that it has been cancelled and celebrity  promised a refund.   Chase gave me a temporary credit and told me I would not have to pay anything until it is resolved.     It has been 40 days now and while I have received 3 FCC's but not a penny of the $8,000 I would have had to pay if I did not file a dispute.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/6/2020 at 9:37 AM, PTC DAWG said:

When did Celebrity announce the cancellations?  Trying to remember the actual date, because I asked for my refund about 2 days later with the online form..I guess I should have taken better notes...obviously no refund....was for 3-29 Edge sailing...

Celebrity announced the cancellation at about 8PM EDT on March 13.     I know for sure as I got the notification just as I was arriving at 10:00 PM for my cruise on 3/14. 

6 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I would disagree with this.   

I had 3 cruises cancelled by the shut down and advised I would be getting refunds for my Port and Taxes, Prepaid Gratuities and a couple upgrades.  I also had one cruise with two rooms that I asked for a cash refund.  I filed a dispute stating that it has been cancelled and celebrity  promised a refund.   Chase gave me a temporary credit and told me I would not have to pay anything until it is resolved.  In my case the amounts due.    It has been 40 days now and while I have received 3 FCC's but not a penny of the $8,000 I would have had to pay if I did not file a dispute.

Same here. Within a two week period I both booked (and paid) for a cruise and it was cancelled by Celebrity. Now that the payment due date is almost here, I’ve disputed the charge on my credit card. I can’t see paying for it when both purchase and cancellation came within the same billing period. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BEAV said:

Same here. Within a two week period I both booked (and paid) for a cruise and it was cancelled by Celebrity. Now that the payment due date is almost here, I’ve disputed the charge on my credit card. I can’t see paying for it when both purchase and cancellation came within the same billing period. 

The funny thing for me is that I must have paid for some of my disputed charges in the previous month  as I now have a Negative Balance (I should say temporary).    I check daily.  

8 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

The funny thing for me is that I must have paid for some of my disputed charges in the previous month  as I now have a Negative Balance (I should say temporary).    I check daily.  

I’d have a negative balance, too, if I hadn’t hoarded 3 truckloads of TP and disinfectant during the same billing period. 😱

• Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 9:26 AM, lvz2cruz said:

OP here.

I called BOA and told them situation.  They put a dispute on account and said not to pay.

I'm grateful for those in similar situation who posted their experience.   The ones posting opinions as fact not so much.

thank you for this, I have what i more than likely the same credit card (Celebrity Visa)  & while it's almost paid off, I could certainly use the almost 6K that Celebrity has not yet refunded us...  they cancelled us on 24th March, &  while they almost immediately refunded us the shore X charge, we haven't seen a dime of anything else...  it's been over a month & I'm beyond annoyed. 

On 3/30/2020 at 10:56 AM, cruisingator2 said:

I just spoke to a Celebrity rep. He placed me on hold and spoke to someone in revenue. The expectation is now 30 days from the date a refund was requested. Personally I would not hold my breath for that timeframe either. Right after we canceled we did receive refunds for shore excursions and specialty dining within a few days. I still think that this is more about holding funds as long as possible. I know that they’re busy but it’s not hard for the cruise line to process refunds. 

30 days?  It's been over 30 days for my refund to be sent back to my card.  Now they're saying it could be up to 60 days.  Argh!  Princess has sent out their refunds awhile ago for the same cruise date and cancel date.  Celebrity is holding onto the money as long as they can.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario
  • Like 1

On 4/25/2020 at 12:50 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Chase gave me a temporary credit and told me I would not have to pay anything until it is resolved.     

Perhaps it depends on the bank you deal with whether they will authorize a temporary credit. 

Assuming you are a long time customer in " good standing " , and under today's circumstances , they are extending a courtesy .

At the bank I deal with in Canada ( TD ) I'm advised that what I said above is correct  ( pay the total amount due and wait for a credit ). 

LOL--- They did not advise whether to drink Lysol or not .

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Perhaps it depends on the bank you deal with whether they will authorize a temporary credit. 

Assuming you are a long time customer in " good standing " , and under today's circumstances , they are extending a courtesy .

At the bank I deal with in Canada ( TD ) I'm advised that what I said above is correct  ( pay the total amount due and wait for a credit ). 

Only if you are a U.S. Citizen.... LOL

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pinboy said:

At the bank I deal with in Canada ( TD ) I'm advised that what I said above is correct

I am also with TD (in Ontario) and had a huge amount on my last billing statement.  I called and they suspended interest charges so I just paid all charges minus any refunds due which I have now received. It was from a March break cruise that was cancelled. Yes, you do have to be in good standing with your bank for them to do this. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Pinboy said:

Sorry to hear.  Wonder if it might also be based on individual country regulations.   I've previously done the same (different circumstances) with American Express and Master Card.  

The reason they didn't advise drinking Lysol is because it is sold out due to people hoarding.   LOL.  Did you happen to see the SNL skit on Dr. Anthony Fauci?   It's priceless.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/25/2020 at 12:41 PM, DrivesLikeMario said:

30 days?  It's been over 30 days for my refund to be sent back to my card.  Now they're saying it could be up to 60 days.  Argh!  Princess has sent out their refunds awhile ago for the same cruise date and cancel date.  Celebrity is holding onto the money as long as they can.

Trust me, sadly you are not alone.  Still waiting for payment for a refund I asked for in mid-March.  I do not believe it is just a matter of them being overwhelmed (although I'm sure they are as well).  They want to hold onto our money as long as they can.  I get very, very frustrated when I see the occasional (admittedly rare) FB posting or comment on these boards that people with cruises cancelled after ours getting payment back.  There does not seem to be rhyme or reason for their priorities

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Only if you are a U.S. Citizen.... LOL

LOL-- I have lots of friends and family that are citizens of the US and A--- All nice people , but , not very smart !!!

None said they would drink Lysol because they heard it's toooooo salty. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

Sorry to hear.  Wonder if it might also be based on individual country regulations.   I've previously done the same (different circumstances) with American Express and Master Card.  

The reason they didn't advise drinking Lysol is because it is sold out due to people hoarding.   LOL.  Did you happen to see the SNL skit on Dr. Anthony Fauci?   It's priceless.

It was great and Dr. Fauci got the person he wanted to play him, too!

bon voyage

We didn't cancel our cruise, but asked for what we had payed back leaving the deposit.. We are planning on paying our statement balance even if the refund is already credited to make things simpler and not have to worry about getting any fees on our next statement for carrying a non existent balance. Once it is there, we will have a month or three without a credit card bill as we use up the credit.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

We didn't cancel our cruise, but asked for what we had payed back leaving the deposit.. We are planning on paying our statement balance even if the refund is already credited to make things simpler and not have to worry about getting any fees on our next statement for carrying a non existent balance. Once it is there, we will have a month or three without a credit card bill as we use up the credit.

You can always ask your bank to transfer your credit to your bank account. They're pretty good about doing that.  Why let them have your money?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

LOL.  Did you happen to see the SNL skit on Dr. Anthony Fauci?   It's priceless.

Yes, I saw it -- Great  !!!

LOL-- How come Dr Fauci is not on  MY tv anymore ?????

OOPS, Is that a political comment and not permitted on CC ?

Boy, CC is lots of fun as long as one doesn't come on like " Gang Busters "  LOL  

5 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Yes, I saw it -- Great  !!!

LOL-- How come Dr Fauci is not on  MY tv anymore ?????

OOPS, Is that a political comment and not permitted on CC ?

Boy, CC is lots of fun as long as one doesn't come on like " Gang Busters "  LOL  

He did a great job. At first glance I thought he was a young Dr. Fauci.

51 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Trust me, sadly you are not alone.  Still waiting for payment for a refund I asked for in mid-March.  I do not believe it is just a matter of them being overwhelmed (although I'm sure they are as well).  They want to hold onto our money as long as they can.  I get very, very frustrated when I see the occasional (admittedly rare) FB posting or comment on these boards that people with cruises cancelled after ours getting payment back.  There does not seem to be rhyme or reason for their priorities

Exactly!  It seems they're refunding money in absolutely no methodical way.  Drives me crazy.  I'd love to be doing the refund work from home.  It would be gratifying!   Many people are holding off on booking new cruises until they get the money back, so I wish Celebrity would get their act in gear and get the refunds done.

53 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

You can always ask your bank to transfer your credit to your bank account. They're pretty good about doing that.  Why let them have your money?

We could, but since it would just go into our checking account there really isn't much point, little to no interest. Not having to pay the credit card will be a nice change for once too. I never get hung up on who holds the $, since we are just talking cruise payment $. If this were in the hundreds of thousands, I would care:)

• Thanks 1

On 4/14/2020 at 9:41 AM, Big_G said:

Our experience went like this:

• Received cancel email March 13th for our March 22nd Edge and chose the refund.
  • Received credits for our Southwest flights that need to be used by October.
  • Received a 2nd set of luggage tags for the cruise on March 21st.
  • Never received any emails from Celebrity but read on CC others were told 30 days for the refund.
  • Waited 31 days (today) and called Celebrity customer service (1-800-280-3423) at 8:00 am Eastern Time because customer service doesn't open until then. We were told the payment was processed April 7th but they had no transaction numbers. They said it was two transactions, deposit and remaining payment.
  • Call Bank of America (Royal Caribbean Visa) and they had no record but said call back because it could take 5 to 7 business days to post. Will call them again on Friday if it doesn't appear before then.
  • Bank of America told us when the credit posts DO NOT use the website to transfer it to our bank account as there will be a transaction fee. They recommended we call them and they will transfer it with no fee.

I'll let you know if the refund appears.

On 4/25/2020 at 9:06 AM, Big_G said:

Another 10 days later and a couple of phone calls and the refunds have started trickling in. Only another $6K to go.

Received our final refund from Celebrity today. It was 48 days total from date of cancelled email. Not one email notification for any of the refunds.

On 4/27/2020 at 2:43 PM, cgolf1 said:

We could, but since it would just go into our checking account there really isn't much point, little to no interest. Not having to pay the credit card will be a nice change for once too. I never get hung up on who holds the $, since we are just talking cruise payment $. If this were in the hundreds of thousands, I would care:)

Most cards will  automatically send out a check if you have a credit NEGATIVE balace for too long..not sure of the time frame.  We lived  out  ours for awhile but then requested the check.

I received our refund and then contacted the bank to get the money transferred from my credit card back to my current account. I discovered it is not as easy as just saying ‘ I got a £XXX refund from Celebrity, so please can you transfer this to my current account’. They could set a transfer up for the amount the credit card was in credit. Needless to say , this was less than my refund due to purchases on the credit card ( I don’t have a separate card for holidays, which I have heard some people do). They then set up a transfer for the remaining amount, and then had to ‘refund’ the amount I would have been charged if I had just used my credit card for a cash advance. I have yet to see if this all works out OK. It was not as easy as I thought from reading the comments here. Perhaps it is my bank or UK banks?

I am still due another refund and will have to go through this process again 🤷‍♀️.

I also discovered that the majority of contact telephone numbers no longer work. It set me wondering how many companies Business Continuity Planning has been found to be inadequate! Virtually most since no-one anticipated such an event to be conceivable.