Holland America extends operational pause notice

Cruisepucks

Here's the email notice sent this morning by HAL. Scroll down for the terms of the FCC. 

Wash your hands!

Holland America Line | A Message from Orlando Ashford

Dear Valued Guest,

Due to continued global public health circumstances, Holland America Line has made the difficult decision to extend the suspension of global operations of its fleet for another 30 days, impacting sailings scheduled to depart through May 14, 2020.

We know that you were looking forward to your cruise, and we are very sorry to be bringing you this disappointing news. At the same time, we know that you support our strong commitment to the health and safety of our guests, our crew, and the communities that we visit. For more information, please visit our News page.

In light of this extension, we are offering two forms of compensation for you to choose from for your cancelled voyage:

Option #1 — We would love to welcome you on board a future Holland America Line cruise. As an incentive to plan another voyage, you can choose to defer a refund and instead receive a future cruise credit for 125% of the base cruise fare paid plus an onboard credit of US$250 per person, which can be applied toward any future cruise(s) that are booked through December 31, 2021. Non-cruise fare purchases from Holland America Line will be refunded to the method of payment used for the original purchase. The terms and conditions of the Future Cruise Credit appear below.

Option #2 — If you do not choose the 125% future cruise credit plus US$250 onboard credit per person, a 100% refund of all monies paid to Holland America Line will be reimbursed to the original form of payment. This includes Holland America Line’s FlightEase air, Cancellation Protection Plan, Holland America Line pre- or post-cruise hotel packages or transfers, prepaid shore excursions and amenities purchased through Holland America Line, and taxes, fees, and port expenses.

We suggest that you contact your trusted travel advisor to discuss these options. If you do not respond by June 1st, you will be deemed to have elected a 125% future cruise credit plus US$250 onboard credit per person as outlined in Option #1 above. Please note, you may choose to cancel the future cruise credit at any time and the value, less the 25% bonus amount and US$250 onboard credit per person, will be refunded.

Please note: The above programs are not applicable to guests booked on a charter sailing.

The internet portal for selecting the option you prefer is now active at
https://book2.hollandamerica.com/cp/.

If any portion of your travel was not booked through Holland America Line, other booking and cancellation conditions and policies may apply. Most airlines and other travel-related services such as hotels, transportation, and tours are allowing refunds or waiving change fees due to the COVID-19 pandemic; please work directly with those operators regarding their charges.

Please note that due to the unprecedented volume of bookings impacted by cancellations, processing your election of Option 1 or 2 may take up to 60 days as our team works through each booking.

Should you have any questions, please contact us at the appropriate office:

Seattle Office (USD/CAD currency):
Contact us at 1-800-577-1729 or 206-626-7385. We are available Monday – Friday, 6:00am – 5:00pm PST.

Rotterdam Office (EUR currency):
Contact us at 00800 1873 1873. We are available Monday – Friday, 9:00am – 6:00pm.
For Netherlands contact us at 0800 724 5425. We are available Monday – Friday, 9:00am – 6:00pm.

Southampton Office (GBP currency):
Contact us at 0344 338 8605. We are available Monday – Friday, 9:00am – 6:00pm.

Sydney Office (AUD currency):
Contact us at 1300 987 321. We are available Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 7:00pm.

Again, we extend our most sincere apologies for this cancellation. Please know that we share your disappointment and we truly appreciate your patience and understanding of these exceptional circumstances. We sincerely hope we have the opportunity to meet and exceed your expectations on board one of our ships in the near future.

Sincerely,
Orlando Ashford
Holland America Line

Future Cruise Credit (FCC) Terms & Conditions

The value of this credit may be applied to the cruise fare only of a new cruise or Land+Sea Journey reservation with Holland America Line, and it is combinable with any other applicable discount. While the credit is valid until December 31, 2021, please note that it needs only to be applied to the new booking by that time; the cruise does not need to depart within this timeframe. Although you may choose any stateroom category, this offer is dependent upon space availability and cannot be transferred, refunded, or used as a deposit. This credit may not be used for onboard expenses, pre- and post-cruise packages, shore excursions, taxes fees and port expenses, Cancellation Protection Plans, FlightEase, Hotel Service Charges, or other optional programs or services. We ask that you or your travel professional verify this offer with our Reservation Agent at the time your new reservation is placed. For your convenience, the credit is built in direct association with Mariner Numbers so it will automatically be credited toward the cruise fare of the next Holland America Line sailing booked.

This is a clarification regarding the Option 1 Future Cruise Credit (“FCC”). If a guest elects Option 1 and does not use his/her FCC and wants a refund thereafter of the original base cruise fare paid, between June 1, 2020 and December 31, 2021, the guest can request Holland America Line to exchange the FCC for a refund of their base cruise fare paid. Refund will be issued within approximately 60 days from request date. Requests accepted via email to guestrelations@hollandamerica.com. In no situation shall a guest be entitled to a refund greater than the base cruise fare paid. Guests selecting Option 1 and requesting a refund as set forth herein will not be entitled to any other compensation/credit. Guests selecting Option 2 shall not be entitled to any additional refund (other than the initial refund as set forth in Option 2) at any time. All FCC’s expire on December 31, 2021 and are subject to published terms, conditions, and restrictions.

To the extent a guest does not elect either Option 1 or Option 2 by June 1, 2020, guest will be deemed to have accepted Option 1 (which is a higher value than Option 2). Once Option 1 or 2 is elected (or deemed elected as set forth herein), it shall be deemed accepted, final, and binding.

Offer and its terms are subject to change.

6 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

There is a slight change to the terms from when our March cruise was cancelled.  If we did nothing a refund is to be issued.  Now if you do nothing it is assumed you want a credit.

In some business models that would be a "negative option".

I'm not being dramatic, just saying that anyone who wants a refund instead of FCC is going to have to work for it...

8 minutes ago, daisy-mae said:

In some business models that would be a "negative option".

I'm not being dramatic, just saying that anyone who wants a refund instead of FCC is going to have to work for it...

We opted for the FCC.  If our August cruise is cancelled we will go for refunds.

Does anybody know if the FCC is based on all parties sailing together again?  For example, Dear Dad and I both take the FCC, but one of us can't sail in the future, can the other party still use the full credit?  Or is it all per person? 

I also noticed the email terms did not mentioned deposits considered nonrefundable at the time of booking.  Would that be forfeited?

Arrgh! I was hoping they would follow RCIs lead by addressing cruises impacted by the Canadian port closures. I'm on the Noordam Alaska southbound on 5/17 which I'm sure will be cancelled since they just cancelled the 5/10 northbound. I'm just waiting for it to be official to free up some of my cash tied up in taxes, flights, etc. Guess I just

need to wait a little longer.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, john2003 said:

It appears they are also going to honour the commission for travel agents if paid in full. Maybe they had no choice but good to be confirmed.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Forums mobile app

I noted that as well and was surprised by their generosity.

IMHO those of you thinking you will be cruising before September are not in the real world.  Even if the lines are ready, I am not sure the ports will open back up. 

• Like 1

glad they've updated as my cruise was on May 9

now to decide FCC or refund. i don't have an issue with fcc except who knows how long these conditions will last and what if HAL is no longer around or around in it's current form where they will honour the fcc? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, gilboman said:

now to decide FCC or refund. i don't have an issue with fcc except who knows how long these conditions will last and what if HAL is no longer around or around in it's current form where they will honour the fcc? 

I have a ton of money tied up with them, but am inclined to take the FCC.  I will try to be optimistic about the future, which obviously is challenging right now.  We've enjoyed Holland America for years now and hope to continue to do so in the future.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, atexsix said:

Does anybody know if the FCC is based on all parties sailing together again?  For example, Dear Dad and I both take the FCC, but one of us can't sail in the future, can the other party still use the full credit?  Or is it all per person? 

I also noticed the email terms did not mentioned deposits considered nonrefundable at the time of booking.  Would that be forfeited?

I have the same question about FCC as well. I don’t know why Holland is not addressing Alaska cruises as we have one in June with a party of 13, one including my grandfather, 95 years old who may not  be able to take another cruise. That’s why we really want the refund but they are taking their sweet time and should be canceling the early Alaska cruises now.

If we have to cancel on our own and get FCC instead, does anyone know if it is one big lump FCC or is it tied to the individual person, even though they may not be able to take another cruise? What happens then? thanks

55 minutes ago, gilboman said:

We are going to take the cash.

We booked through a big box TA and booked air and excursions on our own so we want as much moo-lah back as we can get.  The excursions should not be a problem as they were through a partner of the big box TA (I would hope.)  Air will probably be in the form of a voucher or credit.  Who knows when we can use that again....

Hotels pre/post cruise already paid in full so it will depend on what their policies are.

We are just trying to get as much $ back as we can.......and then try for Alaska again later.

Cheers!

Ali McG

1 hour ago, gilboman said:

That was EXACTLY my reasoning when I sent the request this morning for a full refund for my May cruise rather than the FCC and OBC. 

NO ONE yet knows for a certainty (well, maybe Mickey Arison and the board are already mulling over their options) how this thing will ultimately shake out.  If HAL survives this I'll be ready to sail again...that is, after they develop a vaccine for this novel coronavirus...but the alternative must be considered.  Unpalatable as that alternative is.

We would also like a cash option, for a few reasons. Thanks to a "heads up" posted by a fellow Canadian last fall, we jumped on a special offer and were able to book a cruise to Alaska "at par", which effectively was a 33% saving. Unfortunately, any FCC we receive would be in a currently devalued currency and would likely require a substantial top-up for future bookings. Add to that the fact that we are both seniors and have some misgivings regarding more stringent requirements for travel as well as insurance once the dust settles.

As things stand, there has yet to be an announcement for June sailings, so we are in a holding pattern.

3 hours ago, atexsix said:

Am assuming and hoping that our non-refundable deposit will be credited back to our original form of payment...since HAL is cancelling our cruises.  If anyone knows....please post.   

Thanks...cruise.gal

3 hours ago, mkkao924 said:

Really disappointed that they conveniently avoid Alaska cruise before July 1st. Such a snail reaction considered Canada has announce port close for two weeks.

Avoid Alaska cruises?  I just deleted some off the future cruise listing.

Any sailing up until May 14th are gone and there were some Alaska cruises there.
I
One step at a time.  That’s all anyone can do right now 😔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I canceled my March 14th cruise on March 

10th. I was told I would see my refund in 7 to ten business days. I waited 10 business days no refund, so I called again.

i was told any day now you should see it. 
Today is March 30th no refund so called again. They put me on hold then came back and told me it would be 60 days.

why not tell me this on March 10th when I canceled instead of me checking bank statements and endless hold times waiting for a rep? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wakepatrol said:

I canceled my March 14th cruise on March 

10th. I was told I would see my refund in 7 to ten business days. I waited 10 business days no refund, so I called again.

i was told any day now you should see it. 
Today is March 30th no refund so called again. They put me on hold then came back and told me it would be 60 days.

why not tell me this on March 10th when I canceled instead of me checking bank statements and endless hold times waiting for a rep? 

Like everything about this crisis, it has grown beyond what anyone thought.  Whatever anyone tells you about refunds, it has turned into a giant nightmare. Anything shorter than 90 days will "exceed my expectations."

Carnival Corp is now trying to negotiate a 7 billion dollar cash infusion.  That will give you an idea of how much cash they are burning through.

4 hours ago, kennystwin said:

Arrgh! I was hoping they would follow RCIs lead by addressing cruises impacted by the Canadian port closures. I'm on the Noordam Alaska southbound on 5/17 which I'm sure will be cancelled since they just cancelled the 5/10 northbound. I'm just waiting for it to be official to free up some of my cash tied up in taxes, flights, etc. Guess I just

need to wait a little longer.

Same here.  We are on a 05/30 cruise departing from Montreal.  Supposed to be on the Zaandam no less...

Edited by NMTraveller

Hello

we are Canadian and booked on an AlaskaCruise Tour which starts May 14th but actual sailing date is May 17, trying now to get clarification as wording states ''sailings to May 14th'.  If anyone knows anything further I"d greatly appreciate hearing.

We had been waiting to cancel figuring as ports were closed until July and we are only allowed essential travel, the date would have been extended further.