When did NCL stop giving out Godiva chocolates for Gold and above?

fstuff1

it used to be 6 or 8 piece Godiva chocolates in your room on embarkation day if you were Latitudes Gold and above.

then it was 4 piece.

then it stopped.

just curious if anyone remembers when it stopped?

Edited by fstuff1

I think it happened around late 2015 when FDR took control of NCL and created a long list of cutbacks.  If my memory is correct the chocolates stopped around the same time the fireworks stopped and a long list of other things.  I cruised the Getaway in Feb 2015 and we got the chocolates and fireworks.  FDR took over about 4 months later.

Just now, fstuff1 said:

it used to be 6 or 8 piece Godiva chocolates in your room on embarkation day if you were Latitudes Gold and above.

then it was 4 piece.

then it stopped.

just curious if anyone remembers when it stopped?

I am thinking it was about February 2016 with the change in the latitudes. 

Remember, FDR is NOT (And has never been) the Norwegian Cruise Line CEO. Harry Sommers (preceded by Andy Stuart) is the CEO of NCL. 

9 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Remember, FDR is NOT (And has never been) the Norwegian Cruise Line CEO. Harry Sommers (preceded by Andy Stuart) is the CEO of NCL. 

he never said ceo.

he said took over control of ncl.

in all people's minds, del rio is de facto in charge. everything else is semantics

Edited by fstuff1
  • Like 2

We took our first Holland America cruise in Dec. 2019 in a moderately priced ocean view cabin.  Every night there were chocolates on the bed, towel animals, free robes to use while on the ship, ice twice a day and lobster on gala night.  We are platinum on Norwegian and three months earlier on an NCL cruise in a comparable cabin we had none of these.  It will be interesting to see if these amenities disappear from other cruise lines too as cost saving measures due to lost revenue because of the virus.

7 hours ago, Peachypooh said:

We never got Godivas. It was Andes candies which stopped a few years ago.

You are mixing up your candy benefits.  All latitudes members used to get an Andes chocolate on their pillow every night.  That stopped 3-4 years ago.  Andes cost too many nickels and dimes.  Gold latitudes members and above used to get an 8 piece box of Godiva chocolates the first day in their cabin.  About 4 years ago that was reduced to a 4 piece box.  Shortly thereafter the Godiva box was completely eliminated.  I think it was right around 2016.

NCL saved lots of nickels and dimes with these eliminations.  For your convenience of course..........

• Like 1

On 4/1/2020 at 8:30 AM, BirdTravels said:

What is your obsession with this disinformation campaign?  We have gone over this several times and yet you persist.   In 2015 Frank Del Rio replaced Kevin Sheehan as CEO of NCL.  Everyone knows that . . . well almost everyone.  FDR is now the CEO of NCLH and is the boss of Harry Sommers.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, mianmike said:

What is your obsession with this disinformation campaign?  We have gone over this several times and yet you persist.   In 2015 Frank Del Rio replaced Kevin Sheehan as CEO of NCL.  Everyone knows that . . . well almost everyone.  FDR is now the CEO of NCLH and is the boss of Harry Sommers.  

Mike, according to his BIO FDR became CEO of NCLH in 2015.

https://www.ncl.com/about/norwegian-leadership

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Cruise_Line_Holdings

Edited by ColeThornton

2 hours ago, Love my butler said:

You are mixing up your candy benefits.  All latitudes members used to get an Andes chocolate on their pillow every night.  That stopped 3-4 years ago.  Andes cost too many nickels and dimes.  Gold latitudes members and above used to get an 8 piece box of Godiva chocolates the first day in their cabin.  About 4 years ago that was reduced to a 4 piece box.  Shortly thereafter the Godiva box was completely eliminated.  I think it was right around 2016.

NCL saved lots of nickels and dimes with these eliminations.  For your convenience of course..........

As I already mentioned,   the Godiva discontinued when the new Latitudes program started-   February  2017.   

It may be you didn't sail end of 2016 - 1-2017 ?

1 hour ago, ColeThornton said:

Mike, according to his BIO FDR became CEO of NCLH in 2015.

https://www.ncl.com/about/norwegian-leadership

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Cruise_Line_Holdings

Yes, he replaced Kevin Sheehan. 

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/del-rio-replaces-sheehan-as-norwegian-ceo.html

7 minutes ago, mianmike said:

I think there is confusion here.  NCL and NCLH are two different things with NCLH being the parent company, no?  As I'm reading it DelRio came in as the CEO of NCLH in 2015, not NCL.

Edited by ColeThornton

7 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

I think there is confusion here.  NCL and NCLH are two different things with NCLH being the parent company, no?  As I'm reading it DelRio came in as the CEO of NCLH, not NCL.

Yes, you are reading it somewhat correctly.  In 2013 NCL CEO Kevin Sheehan bought Oceania and Regent Seven Seas Cruises and brought them into the NCL fold and became NCLH.  Sheehan remained CEO of NCL and NCLH.  In Jan 2015 Del Rio took over as CEO of NCL and NCLH.  In May of 2015 Andy Stuart was promoted to President and COO of NCL.  In Sept. 2016 Del Rio named Stuart CEO of NCL.  Del Rio remains CEO of NCLH.   During all the Investor conference calls Del Rio makes it clear he is in charge of NCL.  That's why people reference Del Rio as the decision maker, because he is. The CEO's of NCL, Oceania and Regent Seven Seas all take their marching orders from FDR.   

13 minutes ago, mianmike said:

Yes, you are reading it somewhat correctly.  In 2013 NCL CEO Kevin Sheehan bought Oceania and Regent Seven Seas Cruises and brought them into the NCL fold and became NCLH.  Sheehan remained CEO of NCL and NCLH.  In Jan 2015 Del Rio took over as CEO of NCL and NCLH.  In May of 2015 Andy Stuart was promoted to President and COO of NCL.  In Sept. 2016 Del Rio named Stuart CEO of NCL.  Del Rio remains CEO of NCLH.   During all the Investor conference calls Del Rio makes it clear he is in charge of NCL.  That's why people reference Del Rio as the decision maker, because he is. The CEO's of NCL, Oceania and Regent Seven Seas all take their marching orders from FDR.   

Okay, this just turned into the skit from Abbott and Costello... "Who's on First"   LOL

I'm going to bed.

7 hours ago, mianmike said:

Kevin Sheehan didn't buy anything. At that time NCLH, the parent corporation of NCL, and although by that time a publicly traded corporation still controlled by Apollo Management was merged with Prestige Cruise Holdings, the parent of Oceania and Regent Seven Seas, a privately held corporation also controlled by Apollo Management. Apollo had previously started the process of taking PCH public but decided it made more sense to create a single entity rather than two separate companies. NCLH was the surviving company since it was already the one that was publicly traded. Originally Sheehan was the CEO of the merged organization but eventually he was terminated and FDR, who had been the CEO of PCH, became the CEO of NCLH. 

FYI, Apollo Management no longer controls NCLH, having successfully accomplished its purpose for taking NCLH and PCH public.

Edited by njhorseman

23 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

And then there were the chocolate singles on the pillow (turn down service)  - THEY ARE GONE !

And then the towel animals - THEY ARE GONE !

What is next ?

A chocolate service charge ?

And I remind you this is "For Your Convenience - why of course" !

You can still get towel animals. All you have to do is request them. This "no more towel animals" thing has gotten tired. or maybe I have just gotten tired...