Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

45 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

@DaniDanielle   Marietta,    I hope all goes well with your tests today.      

It saddens me to type this but we will be disembarking on Thursday morning and heading home.    We had another video conference call that lasted over 1 hour with an IT guy onboard and the Head of our IT Dept. who took over our laptop remotely and installed 2 different VPN's and neither of them would work with the firewalls (or whatever all the computer jargo they threw around) that Royal server has set up for their VPN.       

As Eric would not relax and enjoy if he is not able to do any of his sales work (me the underwriter is just fine with the limited access I have) but he doesn't want to lose any customers especially since he had 6 new referrals come in the past couple of days from previous clients.    

So we just left IT guy spoke with guest services and they will give us full refund in cash (credit card) not a FCC.    

They also said their corporate IT person in Royal's Miami office will communicate with us and our IT people and provide a list of VPN's that are acceptable with their server and our IT people will determine if we can use them for future cruises.    If it was just a 7 day cruise we could probably muddle through but since it is another 11 nights, Eric would be too stressed and drive me bonkers too!

I hope we meet on another future cruise and I wish you and Charlie a fabulous sailing.   I am sure you will enjoy as much as we have.     

Today is party sunny with temps in high 60's but very windy.    

I seriously worry about the folks that plan on working or remote learning on the World Cruise. Serenade has inadequate WiFi, especially since it's an included perk for entire ship. Hopefully they will do some upgrades before we depart

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

@DaniDanielle   Marietta,    I hope all goes well with your tests today.      

It saddens me to type this but we will be disembarking on Thursday morning and heading home.    We had another video conference call that lasted over 1 hour with an IT guy onboard and the Head of our IT Dept. who took over our laptop remotely and installed 2 different VPN's and neither of them would work with the firewalls (or whatever all the computer jargo they threw around) that Royal server has set up for their VPN.       

As Eric would not relax and enjoy if he is not able to do any of his sales work (me the underwriter is just fine with the limited access I have) but he doesn't want to lose any customers especially since he had 6 new referrals come in the past couple of days from previous clients.    

So we just left IT guy spoke with guest services and they will give us full refund in cash (credit card) not a FCC.    

They also said their corporate IT person in Royal's Miami office will communicate with us and our IT people and provide a list of VPN's that are acceptable with their server and our IT people will determine if we can use them for future cruises.    If it was just a 7 day cruise we could probably muddle through but since it is another 11 nights, Eric would be too stressed and drive me bonkers too!

I hope we meet on another future cruise and I wish you and Charlie a fabulous sailing.   I am sure you will enjoy as much as we have.     

Today is party sunny with temps in high 60's but very windy.    

Sorry to read this news. 

3 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Thanks for the recommendation of The Tourist.  2 episodes left to watch and really enjoying it.

Glad you're enjoying it. I really like the character of the probationary police officer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jagsfan said:

What is the white building? At first glance, I thought it was a folly, but it looks too substantial. 

It is a folly. It's called Temple Island and I think it can be hired out for parties and weddings. 

George Harrison had a house somewhere in the hill in the background.  When my husband was a flying instructor he use to point it out to students when up flying.

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 4

@Sunshine3601I'm so sorry the IT people could not come up with a solution but I am glad to hear that you will receive a full refund. 

@DaniDanielle What a relief! 

5 hours ago, Arzeena said:

Where are you going?

I wish you a safe and wonderful journey.

We are doing Nassau, St. Marteen and Tortola.  No guarantees.  We probably won't get off the ship in Nassau due to the short time but this is our first time on the Edge so I am sure I will find something to do.  I think I am leaning toward Cane Bay in Tortola as you suggested. Due to the late arrival (12:30) which area would you suggest going to?  I get the impression this beach might be like Orient based on the popularity.  Is there a particular bar/restaurant you would recommend? TIA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sheal said:

@Sunshine3601I'm so sorry the IT people could not come up with a solution but I am glad to hear that you will receive a full refund. 

@DaniDanielle What a relief! 

We are doing Nassau, St. Marteen and Tortola.  No guarantees.  We probably won't get off the ship in Nassau due to the short time but this is our first time on the Edge so I am sure I will find something to do.  I think I am leaning toward Cane Bay in Tortola as you suggested. Due to the late arrival (12:30) which area would you suggest going to?  I get the impression this beach might be like Orient based on the popularity.  Is there a particular bar/restaurant you would recommend? TIA

I wish you were getting in to Tortola earlier to take an excursion to Jost Van Dyke and White Bay and go to the Soggy Dollar Bar. That beach looks amazing.

• Like 1

@Sea Dog  Normally I don't really care about the ports but I will admit I was really looking forward to going back to Tortola.  I actually booked this sailing for that port but after all of the disappointments with travel this year I am just going to have to put that aside.  I just hope the weather is good that week!

@dani negreanuI hope your grandson is feeling recovering from his surgery! 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, singinalot said:

Thanks to whomever recommended the new cruise ship show on Prime. We’re watching it now and dreaming of cruising again 

I'm going to have to look up this cruise show!  Thank you, I didn't know that one existed!

15 hours ago, Keksie said:

Kubota is home and recovering.  There was a little concern during surgery but afterwards he has been doing really well.  A lot of staples which will come out in 3 weeks.  

Wonderful news that Kubota is recovering and doing really well!

5 hours ago, sgmn said:

Pretty cold here and still another two months of winter to go . In normal years we would have a break somewhere warm to look forward to in the winter. 

We had a lovely walk yesterday along the Thames path towards Henley-on-Thames 

20220116_154210.thumb.jpg.67c2ed72397a4491f76450adcade660e.jpg

20220116_155002.thumb.jpg.204821ae70b34acf606abf623944427c.jpg

Beautiful pictures!  I dream of some day walking along the Thames, once we can fly without masks for so many hours onboard a plane!

5 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

@dani negreanui hope your grandson’s buttons surgery went smoothly and he is recovering well.

+3.  Or is it +4??  I sure hope your little grandson is totally up and around.🥰

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I know that is exactly how I feel.     😢

I am trying to tell myself maybe it was meant to be and better we get off than push our luck and stay on for another 11 nights.     I have always believed "things happen for a reason".        

So happy we are at least having a wonder 11 night cruise 🙂 and will enjoy the next 2 days to the fullest.     We will go see the Beatles celebration tonight.

I'm so sorry, Debbie.  I am glad that your are making the best of it, and happy about the wonderful 11 days you are having onboard, as well as on the Islands.😘

1 hour ago, DaniDanielle said:

Oh Debbie, so, so sorry.  We both tested NEGATIVE!

Congratulations Marietta and Charlie!  Now you can finish packing, and prepare to enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Just to let everyone know, the federal website that is supposed to go live to get free test kits is up now!  My state rep just posted it was live.  My order is in as well as my Mom's. 🙂 

I just ordered ours as well!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaniDanielle said:

Oh Debbie, so, so sorry.  We both tested NEGATIVE!

Congratulations!  I am sure you and Charlie will have a wonderful cruise.  I am leaving the ship is good condition for you🍹💕

Maybe someday this summer we can all meet for dinner and drinks in LBI,

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

So sorry you had to cut your cruise short. Company firewalls and pesky VPN's can make it difficult to wok remotely. We had all kinds of problems when Covid forced us to work remotely. Drove the IT people crazy.

Tonight is lobster night and we decided we will get enough lobster to last us 2 cruises😄

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

Just to let everyone know, the federal website that is supposed to go live to get free test kits is up now!  My state rep just posted it was live.  My order is in as well as my Mom's. 🙂 

Thanks for the heads up.  I just ordered quickly before they either run out or the website crashes!

• Like 4
  • Haha 3