Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

And it is ok to not put your issue in the context of what is going on in the world. Talking about our cruises, and their issues, does not mean we are oblivious or unsensitive to the world around us.

Thank you for saying this.  I've seen too many cases where someone is berated online by someone who thinks that their problem isn't important given what's happening somewhere else in the world.  One of the many reasons why I've been thinking about dumping social media completely for a while.  I really do think it is doing damage in society, often driving us apart rather than bringing us together. This thread is obviously an exception!!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Thank you for your kind words, Judy. I too, as a "veteran" of some wars, deplore the situation, knowing what it entails....

My only remaining relative died in his sleep more than a month ago. He was 93, and the president of the Association of Romanian Jews Victims of the Holocaust. His whole family, along with my maternal grandparents and my aunt were deported to Transnistria. All survived, beside my grandfather.

Liviu was not allowed to emigrate to Israel since he was married to a non-Jewish woman... His mother and my grandmother were sisters, and the family was very close-knit. I was born during the food rationing in Romania, and luckily, since Liviu was a student of veterinary and sharing my room in my parents' house, he could bring me some milk from the villages near Bucharest, were he was doing his practice.

Also, my BFF from primary and HS, who is also non-Jewish and was recently widowed. That's all.

Sad, sad situation. Democracies are no match against dictatorship

Dani, condolences for the loss of your last remaining relative.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Fortunately, I guess, WW2 and I did not exist at the same time. 

I did exist, and here in Jacksonville Fl, I remember my mother had little cardboard ration tokens that she had to add to the money she paid the butcher. Then there was a paper booklet with coupons. She would tear a page out every time she bought one of us shoes. I think we were limited to one pair a year. 
Sugar, meat, silk for stockings, bubble gum, gasoline and tires were in short supply. Or nonexistent. 
For us children, it was worry for our fathers that kept us awake at night. We were far from any bombings, though U-boats sank merchant ships along our coast. One landed group of saboteurs on our beach. The plan was to poison water supplies in the southeast. 
Some of  them gave themselves up. Some were caught and imprisoned, and at least one executed. 
At the beach, our house had to have blackout shades, the beach was patrolled at night by the Coast Guard. No civilians allowed on the beach after dark, and automobile headlights had the top half painted black. 
A tanker, GulfAmerica, was torpedoed and sunk in broad daylight off Jacksonville Beach, with hundreds watching. 
I remember WWII pretty well!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

I did exist, and here in Jacksonville Fl, I remember my mother had little cardboard ration tokens that she had to add to the money she paid the butcher. Then there was a paper booklet with coupons. She would tear a page out every time she bought one of us shoes. I think we were limited to one pair a year. 
Sugar, meat, silk for stockings, bubble gum, gasoline and tires were in short supply. Or nonexistent. 
For us children, it was worry for our fathers that kept us awake at night. We were far from any bombings, though U-boats sank merchant ships along our coast. One landed group of saboteurs on our beach. The plan was to poison water supplies in the southeast. 
Some of  them gave themselves up. Some were caught and imprisoned, and at least one executed. 
At the beach, our house had to have blackout shades, the beach was patrolled at night by the Coast Guard. No civilians allowed on the beach after dark, and automobile headlights had the top half painted black. 
A tanker, GulfAmerica, was torpedoed and sunk in broad daylight off Jacksonville Beach, with hundreds watching. 

My parents had ration books to shop in the local grocery .

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Thank you for your kind words, Judy. I too, as a "veteran" of some wars, deplore the situation, knowing what it entails....

My only remaining relative died in his sleep more than a month ago. He was 93, and the president of the Association of Romanian Jews Victims of the Holocaust. His whole family, along with my maternal grandparents and my aunt were deported to Transnistria. All survived, beside my grandfather.

Liviu was not allowed to emigrate to Israel since he was married to a non-Jewish woman... His mother and my grandmother were sisters, and the family was very close-knit. I was born during the food rationing in Romania, and luckily, since Liviu was a student of veterinary and sharing my room in my parents' house, he could bring me some milk from the villages near Bucharest, were he was doing his practice.

Also, my BFF from primary and HS, who is also non-Jewish and was recently widowed. That's all.

Sad, sad situation. Democracies are no match against dictatorship

Sending you our condolences Dani for the loss of your relative last month and for your BFF who was recently widowed.

Graham.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

I hope my comment didn't come across as dismissive or insensitive.  I just meant that I did not experience the war. But I did grow up during a time when schools still taught about it and to this day every Dec 7 gives me a bit of a gut punch.

And I appreciate reading your story as much as I did Dani's.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

.  I don’t remember if my GoPro is waterproof.  I probably need to look into getting a new one.

Anything higher than Go Pro Hero 5 is waterproof. The 4 and 3 and earlier need an underwater housing.

36 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I hope my comment didn't come across as dismissive or insensitive.  I just meant that I did not experience the war. But I did grow up during a time when schools still taught about it and to this day every Dec 7 gives me a bit of a gut punch.

And I appreciate reading your story as much as I did Dani's.

I said I did exist because I know I’m the old lady in the group. 
I did not exist for the Spanish-American War, though. 
My daughter came home from school one day, came to me with a pencil and some paper, and asked what I remembered about it. When I told her I wasn’t born yet, she said “Oh yeah, you were born for WWI.”

As usual, I couldn’t think of a response till I was in bed that night. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

Thank you for saying this.  I've seen too many cases where someone is berated online by someone who thinks that their problem isn't important given what's happening somewhere else in the world.  One of the many reasons why I've been thinking about dumping social media completely for a while.  I really do think it is doing damage in society, often driving us apart rather than bringing us together. This thread is obviously an exception!!

I totally agree with you. I’ve never been one for social media, never been on Facebook, twitter, instagram or any other of those sites.  I would say that commenting on these boards is the closest I’ve gotten to social media.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Couldn’t agree more. Have you seen the docudrama “The Social Dilemma?” It made me rethink how much I want to use social media.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Sending you our condolences Dani for the loss of your relative last month and for your BFF who was recently widowed.

Graham.

Graham, I could not have said it any better. Dani, I’m sorry for your loss. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

WW2 in Europe -- Food rationing was in full "force" also in North East England (and all of the UK), as I'm sure the families of our British friends remember.

Thinking rationing went on till the mid 50s so it was definitely something my parents generation lived through. Mum was always very careful with money  even in later years when she was very comfortable.  She would buy the 'own brand' food rather than the more expensive brands 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I will love to get some fresh Prince Edward oysters while there.

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

One of our favorite places is Prince Edward Island.

PEI was the main reason we took the New England/Canada itinerary. And it didn't disappoint.

@Sunshine3601, Debbie, be aware that if you want to do a PEI private tour, very few companies were on offer, and the best ones (according to reviews in TripAdvisor) were already booked when I emailed them... In the end, we "settled" for the 4th "best" company, and they were stellar. I can highly recommend George Larter PEI Guide and Drive Service-Day Tours.

1 hour ago, jagsfan said:

I did exist, and here in Jacksonville Fl, I remember my mother had little cardboard ration tokens that she had to add to the money she paid the butcher. Then there was a paper booklet with coupons. 

I too remember those coupons in Romania, and the juggling my mom had to do for every purchase.... I was not aware, though, that USA had also experienced "ratios".

Learning new things every day 😁 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jagsfan said:

My daughter came home from school one day, came to me with a pencil and some paper, and asked what I remembered about it. When I told her I wasn’t born yet, she said “Oh yeah, you were born for WWI.”

As usual, I couldn’t think of a response till I was in bed that night. 

Did you tell her you missed that one, too? :classic_biggrin:

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Agreed.  I've seen people get chastised because they wondered if their Baltic cruise was going to be affected by the  Ukraine war. 

The world is a big place and people can worry about multiple things simultaneously from war to vacation plans to unpaid parking tickets to wearing a wrinkled shirt. 

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Really interesting to read your history. The lack of food is such a sharp contrast to how relatives were always putting plates full in front of me and telling me to eat.

Same. Both my parent were born during the depression & children during WW2 (mom in Germany) & both knew hunger all to well. So they always made sure there were huge plates of food in front of us ( and huge desserts) as they never wanted us kids to know hunger. 

And if we couldn't finish, we'd get the speech "Eat all your food, there are starving children in _____" (Fill in the blank with whatever country was in the news that year)  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

PEI was the main reason we took the New England/Canada itinerary. And it didn't disappoint.

@Sunshine3601, Debbie, be aware that if you want to do a PEI private tour, very few companies were on offer, and the best ones (according to reviews in TripAdvisor) were already booked when I emailed them... In the end, we "settled" for the 4th "best" company, and they were stellar. I can highly recommend George Larter PEI Guide and Drive Service-Day Tours. 

Thank you very much for the recommendation.  I will definitely look into them😍

21 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Same. Both my parent were born during the depression & children during WW2 (mom in Germany) & both knew hunger all to well. So they always made sure there were huge plates of food in front of us ( and huge desserts) as they never wanted us kids to know hunger. 

And if we couldn't finish, we'd get the speech "Eat all your food, there are starving children in _____" (Fill in the blank with whatever country was in the news that year)  

My father was born in 1895 and lived through the first pandemic ,both world wars and the depression.The only thing he spoke above was the horrors of the period of 1938 to 1945.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Anything higher than Go Pro Hero 5 is waterproof. The 4 and 3 and earlier need an underwater housing.

I believe it’s a 5 or 6.  My kids have been using it the last couple years.  My next cruise I am thinking I will leave my snorkeling gear and inflatable noodles at home.  I probably will not need a waterproof camera either.  Just can’t see myself hitting the beach in Alaska.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I believe it’s a 5 or 6.  My kids have been using it the last couple years.  My next cruise I am thinking I will leave my snorkeling gear and inflatable noodles at home.  I probably will not need a waterproof camera either.  Just can’t see myself hitting the beach in Alaska.

I was glad I had the waterproof camera in Alaska as we had rain at Mendenhall Glacier and Hubbard Glacier.  My DH put a plastic bag over his DSLR but I didn't have to worry about it.  He didn't take his big camera white water rafting in Alaska, but I could as it could get wet and was smaller.

Edited by reallyitsmema
spelling
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

I was glad I had the waterproof camera in Alaska as we had rain at Mendenhall Glacier and Hubbard Glacier.  My DH put a plastic bag over his DSLR but I didn't have to worry about it.  He didn't take his big camera white water rafting in Alaska, but I could as it could get wet and was smaller.

I have stopped taking my DSLR on cruises because it’s to much to carry around and mainly have been relying on my phone which is waterproof to a degree.  I am so wanting to get a 360 camera and the one that is tempting me is waterproof.  I am  just having a hard time pulling the trigger on it.  Maybe if Greg would say go for it!  😂 

So how was the white water rafting.  Is that something a 66 year old man that doesn’t like to get wet in cold weather should do?  Sounds fun if I was in warm weather.

• Like 1