Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

8 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

I wonder if, out of curiosity, you went back and looked closer to sailing date, if you could get an earlier time. 

If I remember correctly that happened to me once. I went back and checked the check in times available and one openned up earlier. I will continue to check.

1 minute ago, c-leg5 said:

It could be because sailings are full now they need more time to get passengers off and ship prepared than previously.

I would think that would be the case on a Oasis class ship but maybe not on Adventure. I also thought maybe they need more time to clean rooms? I just know in past sailings there was a 10:30-11am slot.

Tonight will be a special night. Lately we have gotten hooked on watching  Colin McRae of Below Deck Sailing Yacht and his YouTube channel Sailing Parlay Revival which follows his adventures of buying a hurricane damage sailboat, fixing it up and getting ready to sail around the world. His storytelling and attitude even going through hardships and setbacks on the boat are inspiration to everyone. While he does go into great detail of the technical side of sailing and fixing boats being somewhat non technical I found it to be very interesting. There are 238 videos ranging from 15-30 minutes. The scenery of the places he is at is incredible. Tonight we will watch the latest episode where he and his crew set sail across the pacific to the French Polynesian islands. If you are a Below Deck fan this channel and his videos is must see tv. I have real respect for this man and his compassion, positivity and can do determination. Check it out but start at the very beginning to really enjoy the story:

https://youtube.com/@ParlayRevival?si=7hl6r-Vodi64xqeC

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Just a quick shout out from beautiful Celebrity Edge.

I’ll keep up with all the past week posts when back.

We’re trying hard to enjoy the cruise, while keeping daily in touch with Olivia (my cousin who underwent a surgery to remove a cancerous tumor from her lung).

Sweet and sour.

Happy you and DH are on the cruise. Have fun.

21 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

It’s located at the B Ocean Resort so it could be the same place just under new owners. Here is their website:

https://www.boceanresort.com/dining/the-wreck-bar/

The B Ocean was the Yankee Clipper for the longest time. The head mermaid, Marina, is big in the tiki scene down here. Known her for about 20 years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Tonight will be a special night. Lately we have gotten hooked on watching  Colin McRae of Below Deck Sailing Yacht and his YouTube channel Sailing Parlay Revival which follows his adventures of buying a hurricane damage sailboat, fixing it up and getting ready to sail around the world. His storytelling and attitude even going through hardships and setbacks on the boat are inspiration to everyone. While he does go into great detail of the technical side of sailing and fixing boats being somewhat non technical I found it to be very interesting. There are 238 videos ranging from 15-30 minutes. The scenery of the places he is at is incredible. Tonight we will watch the latest episode where he and his crew set sail across the pacific to the French Polynesian islands. If you are a Below Deck fan this channel and his videos is must see tv. I have real respect for this man and his compassion, positivity and can do determination. Check it out but start at the very beginning to really enjoy the story:

https://youtube.com/@ParlayRevival?si=7hl6r-Vodi64xqeC

I have watched this channel, pretty much bing-watched  the first year , till the put the boat in dry dock to complete the restoration.  As an engineer I was impressed with his approach to the project  down to spread sheets detailingwhat we need to do, and like to do but cannot afford. 

They got to a point where they needed more money, and were going to stop working on the boat to go do work the get paid for doing.

At that point, the joind the Patreon program, which allows people to become patrons of the channel.

I then skipped forward to the segment where the boat took a lightening strike.

As he analyzed what needed to be replaced,  When Colin said he was going to put his Amazon order.  That set the tone where financially they had come.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Happy you and DH are on the cruise. Have fun.

The B Ocean was the Yankee Clipper for the longest time. The head mermaid, Marina, is big in the tiki scene down here. Known her for about 20 years.

I'm in search of a good tiki bar to go to since the Mai Kai restoration will not be done in time. At first I thought about the Wreck Bar but the prices are expensive for the show and it may be too gimmicky. Do have know of any other tiki bars? We would take a Uber down to Miami and go back to Esotico but it's about a 40 minute drive. Nice thing about staying at the Riverside Hotel seems like there are lots of nice restaurants and shops right there on Las Olas.

1 minute ago, mo&fran said:

I have watched this channel, pretty much bing-watched  the first year , till the put the boat in dry dock to complete the restoration.  As an engineer I was impressed with his approach to the project  down to spread sheets detailingwhat we need to do, and like to do but cannot afford. 

They got to a point where they needed more money, and were going to stop working on the boat to go do work the get paid for doing.

At that point, the joind the Patreon program, which allows people to become patrons of the channel.

I then skipped forward to the segment where the boat took a lightening strike.

As he analyzed what needed to be replaced,  When Colin said he was going to put his Amazon order.  That set the tone where financially they had come.

I think it is really neat that he grew such a loyal Patreon following. They obviously helped him pay the bills and I respect him for not asking for free handouts. He must be doing ok as he has a net worth of $970,000.

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

I'm in search of a good tiki bar to go to since the Mai Kai restoration will not be done in time. At first I thought about the Wreck Bar but the prices are expensive for the show and it may be too gimmicky. Do have know of any other tiki bars? We would take a Uber down to Miami and go back to Esotico but it's about a 40 minute drive. Nice thing about staying at the Riverside Hotel seems like there are lots of nice restaurants and shops right there on Las Olas.

I think it is really neat that he grew such a loyal Patreon following. They obviously helped him pay the bills and I respect him for not asking for free handouts. He must be doing ok as he has a net worth of $970,000.

In part, I imagine to the value they added to the initial $155000 the paid for the wreck.

• Like 2

Just now, mo&fran said:

In part, I imagine to the value they added to the initial $155000 the paid for the wreck.

I find it also extremely interesting in hearing just the cost of things owning a boat. Things like Fuel, Groceries, Fees to go in and out of countries. As much as I would love to have a boat it's not a very economical item to have. It's like that famous saying “The two happiest days in a sailor's life are the day he buys a boat and the day he sells it.” 😁

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I find it also extremely interesting in hearing just the cost of things owning a boat. Things like Fuel, Groceries, Fees to go in and out of countries. As much as I would love to have a boat it's not a very economical item to have. It's like that famous saying “The two happiest days in a sailor's life are the day he buys a boat and the day he sells it.” 😁

One of my ex poker buddies bought a 40 ft boat on a Texas lake he liked it so much he then bought a 60ft boat that could go. To Caribbean, he is currently building a new house on Texas coast and will sell the 40 ft . They seemed to love it . Unfortunately he rarely shows up to contribute to our poker game since they moved from Dallas .

• Like 1

Just now, George C said:

One of my ex poker buddies bought a 40 ft boat on a Texas lake he liked it so much he then bought a 60ft boat that could go. To Caribbean, he is currently building a new house on Texas coast and will sell the 40 ft . They seemed to love it . Unfortunately he rarely shows up to contribute to our poker game since they moved from Dallas .

I think you need to offer to play poker on his 60 footer for a weekend. 😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Just now, h20skibum said:

Did someone say blow up doll?  Saw this at check in at the Holiday Inn in Southampton.

IMG_6299.thumb.jpeg.2dbb8d6b07e86bb67f542f63ffaa5d76.jpeg

You think he has any lingerie in his luggage? 🫣 🤣

Just now, Sea Dog said:

Unfortunately, there really aren’t any in FLL. Esotico would be next, but we don’t like driving down there and looking for parking so we don’t go very often. With Uber it wouldn’t be so bad, but the $$$. I’d rather save the Uber money and go to the Wreck Bar.

Just now, Sea Dog said:

The saying is definitely true. A boat is just a hole in the water to pour money into. Same as an RV, just a hole in the road to also pour money into.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Tomorrow is Toby’s birthday.However,we are celebrating tonight in my house.The reason for having the party tonight is that my granddaughter in college can FaceTime tonight but not tomorrow.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Toby.  I hope she has a wonderful next couple of days with family and friends.   💐

5 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

@Jimbo I know you asked me some questions the other day, but I don’t remember what they were or where the post is. I’ve been under the weather lately so my brain is a little bit foggy.

Should be one of the highlights of your cruise sailing through the Prins Christian Sund this afternoon, I have seen  a few Youtube videos of cruise ships sailing through there. Really amazing.

Tomorrow if you get a chance when you are in QAQORTOQ could please check on how the weather is when you are there. We will be there on the 22nd of this month. Not sure to just bring layers or a real heavy coat? I'm pretty sure though to be put on deck late at night watching/looking for the Northern Lights the heavy coat might come in handy. 🙂

Also if you get a chance if you see or hear of anyone taking the excursion through Royal called "Qaqortoq Town Walk" Ask them if it was worth it or is it pretty much something we could do on our own.

• Like 2

When I was between wives , I got the bug to buy a boat, but I didn't have a place to store, nor a vehicle to tow it. Yhere was the option to use a storage facility that offered in/out service, but I didn't find that attractive.  Never got one, but it looked like it might be fun. 

Edited by mo&fran
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

@Jimbo I know you asked me some questions the other day, but I don’t remember what they were or where the post is. I’ve been under the weather lately so my brain is a little bit foggy.

I hope you feel better, Renee!  Not fun being on a ship while not feeling so well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I subscribe to him too. I love his videos where he surprises people by speaking their language. I would consider having this ear wax removal done. I have always had problems.

I love watching this guy's videos for some odd reason... he seems like a super sweet person who really cares about his customers, and his accent is lovely to listen to as well.  They use a variety of different tools, from "tweezers" to "scoops" to "vacuum tubes", and the before and after shots are really amazing.

I think I would really love doing this job, if this was a thing here in the USA (without having to go to medical school and specializing in ENT, etc.). Something very satisfying about it, kinda like draining pus from an abscess.  

• Like 1

I mentioned a while back we were going to rent a small apartment close to 5 of our grands, 2 daughters to spend more time with them.  We were able to get into the place yesterday for the first time.  It’s tiny.  It’s about the size of an owners suite with a bedroom that’s 10 x10. I told the DH we’re going to have pretend we’re cruising the weeks we are there except I’m the steward and chef. At least it won’t take much time to clean. This is temporary while we see if we want to move to the area permanently in a few years.

We drove back to Texas today and I miss the littles already so I think it was a good decision.  We don’t want to be in the way but I do love the hugs and kisses and they are growing so fast!  

• Like 16

8 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Tomorrow is Toby’s birthday.However,we are celebrating tonight in my house.The reason for having the party tonight is that my granddaughter in college can FaceTime tonight but not tomorrow.

Happy Birthday to Toby 💐Enjoy your party & chatting with your granddaughter via FaceTime.

37 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I mentioned a while back we were going to rent a small apartment close to 5 of our grands, 2 daughters to spend more time with them.  We were able to get into the place yesterday for the first time.  It’s tiny.  It’s about the size of an owners suite with a bedroom that’s 10 x10. I told the DH we’re going to have pretend we’re cruising the weeks we are there except I’m the steward and chef. At least it won’t take much time to clean. This is temporary while we see if we want to move to the area permanently in a few years.

We drove back to Texas today and I miss the littles already so I think it was a good decision.  We don’t want to be in the way but I do love the hugs and kisses and they are growing so fast!  

I think what you are doing is wonderful.

• Like 2