Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 minute ago, HBE4 said:

He could be socially awkward or just have plain old bad bedside manners. Normally I would just dismiss that if I knew I was getting the best possible medical care.

But as you said, you can read people well & if you have even the slightest doubt, it's worth getting a 2nd and even a 3rd (tie-breaker) opinion.   You don't need to be BFF's with your doctor but you need to feel comfortable with him. In this case, it seems like you don't.

1 minute ago, chuckroast1 said:

Seadog, I don't post very frequently but I do have direct experience on this subject. I was diagnosed and treated in 2021 for what my Radiologist termed a "favorable intermediate" case of Prostate Cancer (I'm fine now). The diagnosis was from a biopsy, without anesthesia. It was, by far, the worst part of the overall experience. Everything afterwards, the Brachytherapy, the recovery and the side affects were a breeze by comparison. So, if a biopsy is medically necessary, I'd encourage you to get put under.

Thanks for your comments. Agreed I don't need to be best friends but want to have confidence in my doctor. Yes I have not heard any great stories about biopsies.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I had to have painful surgery last year on my wrist twice. First guy put me to sleep and attached the long bones in my forearm to my wrist and they didnt stay attached. Even the 2nd doctor said terrible job. 2nd doctor for sure didnt win any personality awards, rude, acted egotistic But he was rated high as a surgeon. Just going thru surgery twice and it hurt so bad I cant even say how much it hurt when the long bones were not properly attached and rubbing on each other.

You do NOT want to have bad surgery and have it done twice. It's worth a 2nd opinion. Better than bad surgery. Find a surgeon that is good. That you feel good about. The first surgery the 2nd doctor said well obviously he had a bad day. The hospital I went to wasnt a primary, a secondary he said and some times they have good days and sometimes bad. This was a bad day. If you ever want use of your right arm again it has to be redone.

I am sorry that happened to you. I've been lucky with my knee replacements the surgeon was very good.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I don't think I would want to do any biopsy without anesthesia. The whole thing sounds horrible.

That is a pretty accurate assessment.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

When my doctor was trying to have me do it in his office without anesthesia the nurse told me make sure you eat something before because many people pass out during it . My friend who did it said it was the most painful thing he ever experienced.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Of course, I’m a female…but what is the thinking about the biopsy without anesthesia?  Is it just to reduce the risks associated with anesthesia?  Is there some other reason?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Of course, I’m a female…but what is the thinking about the biopsy without anesthesia?  Is it just to reduce the risks associated with anesthesia?  Is there some other reason?

Other than anesthesia has its own risks I can't think of any good reason. I guess it allows it to be an office procedure instead of doing it in the hospital.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

16 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Other than anesthesia has its own risks I can't think of any good reason. I guess it allows it to be an office procedure instead of doing it in the hospital.

Perhaps for a "needle biospy" case to case.

Edited by Arzeena

@BonTexasNY

Oh Bonnie, I remember Jahn's on 86th (?) Street in Bensonhurst!  I used to spend my weekends in Bensonhurst with a work friend of mine who lived on Bay 19th.  I never had the kitchen sink ice cream bonanza, though!😉

Ah, to be young again!  (sometimes!)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

A couple of times when I would tell hime something he would smirk like what I was telling him wasn't true or he looked down on me. I am pretty good at reading people. Something about hime doesn't seem right. 

That's awful, Greg.  How dare he smirk at you! 

I almost left our new PA when we moved here 7 years ago.  I asked her if she thought I had a little impetigo just inside my nose, and she answered with a "So, now you are diagnosing yourself, Maryann?" 🤬 It just so happened that I had a dermatology appointment the next day, and sure enough, I did have impetigo. (Our daughter had impetigo as a baby, so I pretty much knew what that looked like) 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Luckynana said:

I almost left our new PA when we moved here 7 years ago.  I asked her if she thought I had a little impetigo just inside my nose, and she answered with a "So, now you are diagnosing yourself, Maryann?" 🤬 It just so happened that I had a dermatology appointment the next day, and sure enough, I did have impetigo. (Our daughter had impetigo as a baby, so I pretty much knew what that looked like) 

Right after i met Maureen , she said I should get a chest xray. When I told my PCP what she wanted, he asked where my wife got her medical training, I replied Summerville school of Nursing.  Yep, she was an RN. He did the xray.

• Like 16

1 minute ago, mo&fran said:

Right after i met Maureen , she said I should get a chest xray. When I told my PCP what she wanted, he asked where my wife got her medical training, I replied Summerville school of Nursing.  Yep, she was an RN. He did the xray.

Good for you, Francis!!!!  

How are you doing since your beautiful Maureen's passing?🙏❤️

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

He could be socially awkward or just have plain old bad bedside manners. Normally I would just dismiss that if I knew I was getting the best possible medical care.

I do believe that is the case of my PA.  I somehow feel that she may be somewhere on the "Spectrum".  (I have a grandson who is on the Spectrum and is very bright)  My daughters wanted me to find another doctor, but we were new here, and our PA was recommended by a friend's brother who sees her.  

• Like 4

And , talking about broken bones, after i retired I fell on my icy drive way and broke my wriest. Mo was on a girls cruise, so I drove to the ER and they patched me up. I knew I would probably need surgery to fix it, so I went to a surgeon that Mo  worked with a a lot. She did a lot of orthopedic cases.

At the time, you had to use the ship to shore phone, so I waited till I had seen the Dr, Once the surgery was scheduled, I called her to let her know. her first reaction was to tell me who to call. I told her I already had, and surgery was scheduled.  The surgery was done. He described it as a complex fracture. When I had recovered, I had complete range of motion. No pain. and now 15 years later the only sign is the scal on my wrist.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

My blast from the past is Jahn's kitchen sink ice cream extravaganza shared with the best of friends!

We throw everything at you with this gigantic sundae served in our own specially made sink! We take three sliced bananas, scoops of your choice of up to 8 flavors of ice creams, 8 servings of toppings, mounds and mounds of whipped cream, chopped toasted almonds and cherries.

28276804_2017073278515312_7466340077469127560_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p552x414&_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=_fcda2f8UvwQ7kNvgH2D8sM&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=00_AYADChAKvymGKbSKs8HZWPmlK5uQn_LFthQEqZ5VTbI3UA&oe=66967132

There is only one Jahn’s left in NY.Toby and I went to a Jahn’s In Brooklyn on June 27,1965 ,our first date.We did not order a Kitchen Sink but we each had Sundae’s and Apple pie.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Good for you, Francis!!!!  

How are you doing since your beautiful Maureen's passing?🙏❤️

Her children have been around a lot and arranging a service. Her son came from San Antonia , her daughter lives on the other coast of Fl and is here today. Service is scheduled for next Sunday. Her siblings have been contacted in Mass and I understand they are coming. I contacted cruise friends and they may come. She had worked at a local hospital, and her former boss has posted a notice at the hospital.  She will be buried at sea.

I might add that this was our second marriage, we did not have children of our own. These children are from her first marriage.

Edited by mo&fran
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 4

38 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

@BonTexasNY

Oh Bonnie, I remember Jahn's on 86th (?) Street in Bensonhurst!  I used to spend my weekends in Bensonhurst with a work friend of mine who lived on Bay 19th.  I never had the kitchen sink ice cream bonanza, though!😉

Jahn’s on 86 St. is the only Jahn’s that I ever went to.The only Jahn’s still around is in Queens.Re 86 St ,do you remember Lenny and John’s Pizzeria ? One of the owners was marred to one of my co-workers.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I wonder how many calories that represents?

Teens never heard of calories. 😉 The 2 times I had it, it was shared with a group of friends.

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

@BonTexasNY

The Jahn's I remember was on Church near Flatbush.  I didn't live in Bklyn but my sister lived in East Flatbush after she married.  My friend's brother lived near my sister and we spent many week-end days visiting them and stopping at Jahn's.

There was also a Jahn's in my Manhattan 'hood on Grand St.  That's where I had the kitchen sink, twice, with a bunch of friends.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

I don’t think some doctors can appreciate that we know our bodies. They tend to tell us rather than listen to us. A neurosurgeon Linda went to see about her back pain suggested she should take hot baths. Linda almost got up and stormed out of his exam room after a comment like that.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

My blast from the past is Jahn's kitchen sink ice cream extravaganza shared with the best of friends!

We throw everything at you with this gigantic sundae served in our own specially made sink! We take three sliced bananas, scoops of your choice of up to 8 flavors of ice creams, 8 servings of toppings, mounds and mounds of whipped cream, chopped toasted almonds and cherries.

28276804_2017073278515312_7466340077469127560_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p552x414&_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=_fcda2f8UvwQ7kNvgH2D8sM&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=00_AYADChAKvymGKbSKs8HZWPmlK5uQn_LFthQEqZ5VTbI3UA&oe=66967132

Now, that looks delicious.  All I can think though is how quickly it would melt out here.

A sundae with whipped cream and cherries on top - haven’t had that in decades either. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I don't think I would want to do any biopsy without anesthesia. The whole thing sounds horrible.

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I had a liver biopsy without anesthesia when I was in my early 20's.  I remember thinking I knew what it must've felt like to get shot.

Then again, that was no comparison to the cystoscopy I had in my teens when they figured out (during a week long hospital visit due to a football injury) that I only had one kidney.  I wouldn't wish that procedure on my worst enemy.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I hope those that celebrate had a great Father’s Day. We took a couple cars to the local Porsche dealership for coffee and cars this morning. We spent the afternoon relaxing and watching the Jays game, and we are leaving shortly for Owen’s ball game at 8:30. 

A nice little haul for Father’s Day.  Batteries are charging for the Go Pro and a slice of pie might be missing. 😀

IMG_5764.thumb.jpeg.d7d6ac429c2364282cd2d574c8bf6dae.jpeg

• Like 12

44 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

I had a liver biopsy without anesthesia when I was in my early 20's.  I remember thinking I knew what it must've felt like to get shot.

Then again, that was no comparison to the cystoscopy I had in my teens when they figured out (during a week long hospital visit due to a football injury) that I only had one kidney.  I wouldn't wish that procedure on my worst enemy.

Well, "that procedure" is the first step in having a prostate biopsy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I am sorry that happened to you. I've been lucky with my knee replacements the surgeon was very good.

How is your knee doing? Still having a lot of pain?

• Like 1