Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

50 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Went to Buccees the other day 🙂 

I love these places.  Wish we had them at home.

IMG_2328.jpeg

SAME!

I don't know why the place makes me so ridiculously happy... I think maybe it's because it's just so obnoxiously over the top?  It's like going to Disney -- you can't help but be happy (although, I haven't been to Disney in over 50 years... I have a feeling at my age, I'd be a Grumpy Old Person there having to deal with all the idiot people).  

I generally hate people... everyone is so self-centered these days.  But the crowds and slow-moving people don't annoy me at Buc-ee's like they do other places -- no clue why?

I've made it a tradition to always get a pic with the Buc-ee statue at the main door now:

IMG_20240913_135108859_HDR.thumb.jpg.1b3d660117a29501e1be9c3561765f04.jpg

• Like 20

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I've never been to, or heard of, the place either other than reading about it here from time to time.

I think this is where I first learned about it, too.... and my curiosity was piqued about what it was that made the place such a "religious experience" for people.  Having experienced it for the first time in January 2022 on my way from Houston to Galveston for a cruise, I'm now a complete convert.  It's almost like joining a cult!  LOL

They are slowly making their way northward... maybe some day they'll be up your way (and mine!).  In just 12 months they've gone from a 9-hour drive to a 6-hour drive for me.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, brillohead said:

SAME!

I don't know why the place makes me so ridiculously happy... I think maybe it's because it's just so obnoxiously over the top?  It's like going to Disney -- you can't help but be happy (although, I haven't been to Disney in over 50 years... I have a feeling at my age, I'd be a Grumpy Old Person there having to deal with all the idiot people).  

I generally hate people... everyone is so self-centered these days.  But the crowds and slow-moving people don't annoy me at Buc-ee's like they do other places -- no clue why?

I've made it a tradition to always get a pic with the Buc-ee statue at the main door now:

IMG_20240913_135108859_HDR.thumb.jpg.1b3d660117a29501e1be9c3561765f04.jpg

The Buc-ee statues are made in Bastrop Texas at the Art Foundry.  Twice a year they give tours and we got to see one in progress.  They also have a night pour which is fun.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Thanks!

Our ports are St. Maarten, St. Thomas, and CocoCay.  

CocoCay, we have covered since we were there with them on the last day.  They enjoyed having the ships pools and water slides to themselves in the morning, then going ashore for some beach time, lunch, and time at splash away. 

My daughter wants the kids to experience some of the native culture.   She is also concerned with doing non ship sponsored excursions.  She was even afraid of being left behind, even at CocoCay!

Most of the things in St. Thomas and St. Maarten are beach related.  The kids love to snorkel and Kayak, so we were looking primarily at those, then taking them to a couple places in town before going back to the ship.  

I think there was one catamaran snorkel excursion in St. Maarten that didn’t have a restriction, but if it is the one we took one time, the snorkeling wasn’t great.  

I don't know how well this suggestion will work for you Mark, given the size and ages of your group, but I'll toss it out anyway.  Assuming that you're at Crown Bay (this not a good option from Havensight), take the Water Island ferry and spend the day on Honeymoon Beach at Dinghy's.  It's about a 10-minute walk between the cruise ship and the ferry, and then Dinghy's has (or at least used to have) a shuttle for the 2-minute drive between the ferry landing on Water Island and Honeymoon Beach.  Dinghy's has (or at least had) free lounge chairs and umbrellas if you buy food and drink from them.  They also had some water toys for rent.  There was OK snorkeling by the rocks on the left as you're facing the water.  We went there in 2018 before a couple of hurricanes did some serious damage and I'm not sure of the current state.  There used to be another bar on the other end of the beach but it looks like that may be gone.

A couple of reasons why this may not be a good choice for you (you might want to research further)...

1. The Honeymoon Beach area was sort of a party area.  Lots of boats would anchor there for the day and some party excursion boats would stop by for a couple of hours.  I think I remember kids being there when we were there so this shouldn't be too much of an issue.  

2. It's not an excursion and you're reliant on the Water Island Ferry to get there, and more importantly, to get back.  It looks like the ferry goes to Water Island once an hour at the top of the hour, and goes back to Crown Bay once an hour at 15 minutes after the top of the hour.  The ferry boat could take a limited number of passengers which if I remember correctly, was only about 20 people.  When we were going back to Crown Bay, there were more people waiting than could fit on the ferry.  Those who didn't make it on the boat were told that another boat would be sent to get them and would take about 15 minutes to get there.  Tip...get off the beach shuttle quickly when going back so that you can be in the front of the line waiting to get on the ferry.  Those who took their time getting organized when getting off the shuttle were those who had to wait for a second ferry.

We got off the cruise ship ASAP and got one of the first ferries to Water Island, so we had our choice of lounge chairs.  We also left Water Island a couple of hours before sail away so that we had plenty of time.  Still, that could be stressful for your daughter.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, brillohead said:

My brain cannot handle the fact that Kenzie is FOUR years old.  Somehow that same brain is barely okay with Finnley being two years old, but the concept of Kenzie growing up is just so foreign.  

Maybe it's because cute pics of her got us through the trauma of the COVID shutdown???  

Anyway, happy birthday to BOTH girls!!!  Was thinking of you and Sharon today -- I'm back in Alabama for the annual family reunion this weekend!

Thanks!

Tell the family we said hi.  

• Like 1

Throwing my BUC-EE’S pictures in here, too.  This was when we were on the way to Houston from Galveston after our Dec. 10 Harmony cruise.  The whole place made me smile.  Never heard of BUC-EE’S but learned about it from CC and I knew I had to visit it if I ever was in Texas.    It’s an amazing place.  I wish they would make their way westward.

IMG_6744.thumb.jpeg.8ddf0e5dc0876f5c28848a1ac2a0e166.jpeg

IMG_6745.thumb.jpeg.aa54c80855f7738a4660be3f4bd813d2.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Another attempt to bring kittens to the vet , again Loki was able to avoid capture, so we are currently 1 out of 4 with him . Siam was more willing , he gained over 2 pounds since last visit he is at 7.7 pounds almost double his weight in the two months we have had him . Notice toy is still there.
( we have driven passed Buccees many times without stopping)

image.thumb.jpeg.fbf0a9cfdf305c82e251a5f89f1fe873.jpeg

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Went to Buccees the other day 🙂 

I love these places.  Wish we had them at home.

IMG_2328.jpeg

I like their ads on the highway..."Potty like a Rock Star"...😆😁 and their rest rooms are really nice, clean and all that. The store is also very nice. We don't have many where we are in Florida, and the closest one is somewhere on I95 near or above Jacksonville (I think) which is about 3 hrs north of us. We have been to the one in S. Carolina on our drive down. And to the one in north FL for a very quick break.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

I like their ads on the highway..."Potty like a Rock Star"...😆😁 and their rest rooms are really nice, clean and all that. The store is also very nice. We don't have many where we are in Florida, and the closest one is somewhere on I95 near or above Jacksonville (I think) which is about 3 hrs north of us. We have been to the one in S. Carolina on our drive down. And to the one in north FL for a very quick break.

There are 2 along I-95, both south of Jacksonville.  One near St. Augustine and one near Daytona Beach.  The Daytona location may only be 1.5 hours away from you. 😁

• Thanks 1

We had our first buc ees experience last month in Alabama.  It’s a lot to take in!  On the way home from FL we stopped to get gas at the same location and had to get the heck out asap.  Apparently we somehow “perfectly”  (not so much!) timed our stop with a pop-up Keith Urban concert at that Buc-ee’s.  What a traffic nightmare!!  It was like a bee hive of cars.  Really messed up my ETA home.  

IMG_3493.thumb.jpeg.28cb1bfaec7d82d50d89160887da82f2.jpeg

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

There are 2 along I-95, both south of Jacksonville.  One near St. Augustine and one near Daytona Beach.  The Daytona location may only be 1.5 hours away from you. 😁

I  thought there was in Daytona, I see in the local news they are working on putting another north of us on I95,

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Keksie said:

I am probably looking for a unicorn but are there any cruises that go to Iceland without involving a transatlantic?

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/baltic/icelands-natural-beauty/index.html?startLocation=reykjavik&endLocation=reykjavik&year=2025#noscroll

• Thanks 1

On 9/13/2024 at 12:44 PM, dani negreanu said:

I finally got to meet "in person" my newest step cat - Toffee.

image.thumb.jpeg.633580e742011ba612ea53be50211901.jpeg

And renew my acquaintance with my all-time favorite, Lychee, with the silkiest fur.

image.thumb.jpeg.9325f17b7e618ac85b4199adb3258c13.jpeg

Meantime, DH met the neighborhood cat, who deigned to pose gracefully for him 😉

image.thumb.jpeg.bfd0604e395c378b07bbdca4b6094f77.jpeg

And on a happier note, fingers crossed we'll fly tomorrow afternoon to Athens, to join my cousin and her DH. Hopefully, this time we'll cruise together, since last year she had to cancel at the last minute.

With all the chaos going on, we decided to push forward our flight from Sunday to Saturday, to have a "buffer" of one day before our cruise starts on Monday.

So looking forward to "disconnect" from the daily "news" and finally meet the cousins, whom I didn't see from the beginning of Covid.

I can't cruise right now due to my husband's health, but it gives me joy to know you will be on a cruise ship soon!🩷🩷

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/13/2024 at 9:49 AM, grapau27 said:

Thank you Debbie.

Our Sarah is in Rhodes Greece on holiday.

How lovely for Sarah!!!

Your desserts are quite different and look amazing, Graham!  Hi to Pauline!

Sorry it's so cold where you live now,  It's been in the 50's and 60's early morning here, but creeps up to the 70's and 80's by mid-morning.

On 9/13/2024 at 10:09 AM, BonTexasNY said:

Glorious weather here in Dallas area.  Low 90s, sunshine, 50% humidity.  Lunch with "the girls".  3 of my best TX friends, ending lunch at an outdoor Starbuck's,  (in the shade) maybe a little shopping at Sam Moon, an accessory paradise.  THIS is the weather I love.  And no, low 90s is not too hot for me.  My wish is that @dani negreanu our Dani, could have a carefree day like this with no worries except what size latte she'll have.

Glorious weather here, also, Bonnie!  How wonderful that you've gotten together with the girls for lunch!

What a great wish for @dani negreanu.  I too wish this so much for Dani.❤️

On 9/13/2024 at 8:54 AM, Arzeena said:

Patti,
I am so happy to hear that you drove....that means great progress. Keep well. Good luck with the sales and wish yo a happy and stressless "moving in and settling down".

@CoralcSo good to hear from you, Patti!  Happy that you can now get around with a cane, and that you have moved to your Mom's.  Best of luck selling your house!  Have fun at your $5.00 sale.  I would love to browse your Mom's things.....like I don't have enough stuff here, already!🤔

On 9/13/2024 at 9:39 AM, Arzeena said:

Dani I am happy to see you posting.

Me also!! @dani negreanu🌹

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 9/13/2024 at 1:44 PM, dani negreanu said:

I finally got to meet "in person" my newest step cat - Toffee.

image.thumb.jpeg.633580e742011ba612ea53be50211901.jpeg

And renew my acquaintance with my all-time favorite, Lychee, with the silkiest fur.

image.thumb.jpeg.9325f17b7e618ac85b4199adb3258c13.jpeg

Meantime, DH met the neighborhood cat, who deigned to pose gracefully for him 😉

image.thumb.jpeg.bfd0604e395c378b07bbdca4b6094f77.jpeg

And on a happier note, fingers crossed we'll fly tomorrow afternoon to Athens, to join my cousin and her DH. Hopefully, this time we'll cruise together, since last year she had to cancel at the last minute.

With all the chaos going on, we decided to push forward our flight from Sunday to Saturday, to have a "buffer" of one day before our cruise starts on Monday.

So looking forward to "disconnect" from the daily "news" and finally meet the cousins, whom I didn't see from the beginning of Covid.

I'm a day late for your wonderful news, Dani, since you've already flown to Athens today!  I am so very happy for you and Aaron, and for your cousins you haven't seen for such an awfully long time!  I'm sure you'll have an awesome time now that you are all together.  Bon Voyage, my friend!🛳️

The kittens are all beautiful!  Thank you for sharing the pictures of the kittens.....you look great, Dani!!🥰 I hope your decompression has begun!!

On 9/13/2024 at 11:51 AM, grapau27 said:

Thank you Sue.

We book every night speciality dining online 15 days prior to cruising and receive 20% discount off on board price and pick the dining times we want.

The speciality restaurant dining every night makes our cruise special as the food and service is excellent.

Your dinners do look pretty awesome, Graham!  The desserts, especially!

On 9/13/2024 at 12:11 PM, helen haywood said:

@bobmacliberty No kidding on the biblical rain!!  I needed to pick up a prescription yesterday…drove over to Walgreens on the island…power out along Sadler and Walgreens was closed with no idea of a reopening time.  Sigh.  Needed that prescription so we had to drive 40 minutes to north Jax to another Walgreens.  Via flooded roads and idiots that didn’t even slow down for the many ponds we had to plow through.

I hope the weather has gotten better for you and Bob @bobmacliberty, Marian.  I'm guessing you are getting the storm remains from New Orleans?  My girlfriend in Naples said she woke up to loud thunder and pouring rain this morning, and then the sun came out...too late for her Tennis game!

On 9/13/2024 at 3:41 PM, Keksie said:

Fun day and not even too cold for a Florida gal.

20240913_141411.thumb.jpg.2eddcfd5d2382586ec999d72ca73e741.jpg

20240913_141539.thumb.jpg.67103be9cfd1f82bfa43dbcfb5836096.jpg

You look well prepared for your trip, Karen.  Love the picture!  How great to see an iceberg up close and personal!!

On 9/13/2024 at 3:42 PM, ollienbertsmum said:

Gosh, as a soon-to-be granny the length of time not seeing Grandparents in the flesh is very sad.  BUT FaceTime really does help.  When my 32 yr and 33 yr daughters were small contact was via video to my parents and then twice yearly trips there or back (between uk and Gibraltar).  It has been lovely to see that they have had a strong bond despite the distance.  

Sadly my father passed away last month.  Both girls managed to get to visit and made calls while he was in hospital.  

They both spoke of their memories at his funeral and eldest played the Ave Maria on her flute.  

So why have I reflected on this to you all ….  Lots of us are torn apart by geography, but if you do make the effort, regular calls and regular postcards or whatever way you choose to connect, it is worth that effort.  

I hope that my soon to be born grandchild will stay in Gibraltar, but it will have roots here, in northern Spain, UK, Italy and Canada- so who knows what the future may bring.  I might need to re read this post sometime in the future. 

So sorry to hear of you Dad's passing last month.  Your grandchild will bring you great comfort.  Congratulations on your soon-to-be grand baby.  Grandchildren are the Best!!!!!   Much happiness awaits you!  

Good to hear from you.  It's been a while.  Welcome back!

@h20skibum How great for your grandson to soon welcome his maternal grandparents.  He is a very lucky youngster, to have spent his Summer with you and Susan, and to soon spend a good amount of time with his other grandparents!❤️

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3