Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

12 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

The plans that I've chosen have good medical and evac coverage.  That's my most important consideration in choosing a plan since that's where things can get really expensive.  If it was just to cover the cost of the trip itself, I'd probably roll the dice and self-insure.  I never thought about getting something for just medical and evacuation.  The last one-week plan that I had included $150K in medical (secondary) and $1M in emergency medical evac, plus all of the other typical trip interruption, luggage, etc. for $205 for 2 people.  

In the last couple of years, we started purchasing only the Medical and Evacuation coverage.  Our Chase Sapphire credit card offers good limits for cancellation, trip interruption, etc so we just go with that.  
We also use Insure My Trip. I find their website very user friendly, allowing me to easily the compare limits and prices of multiple insurance companies.  They’re actually located in RI and about 5 years ago, I was randomly selected from their customer base to participate in a focus group to provide input on the redesign of their website.  
As far as trip cancellation and interruption, my thought is if something serious enough happens to cause me to cancel or leave a trip early, the loss of the money is the last of my concerns. 
I do think it would be worthwhile for us to look into an Med/Evac policy since we typically travel multiple times per year now. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Texas does breakfast the right way.  Miss cruising out of Galveston.  

We never fly SW.  I always hated the no assigned seat part.  

The chair is a chaise lounge.  Perfect for knitting or reading with your feet up.

Next year sw is changing to assigned seating which customers have been asking for. 

Breakfast with a smile. And the front desk was friendly. I started to take a picture of the cinnamon rolls this lady is obviously doing and setting out, she was like let me uncover them, and jumped in the picture. Said sure bring one for the shuttle driver, heres some tin foil. You dont see this much imo at least I dont. And of course jalapenos to put in the warm tortillas I did skip. 

And I put some redi whip in my coffee with 3 squirts of caramel whatever that stuff is. My shuttle driver knows me from Galveston as I'm always bringing off extra champagne for her (she says oh boy mimosa time). I dont drink it, but dont have the suitcase space this time. She is picking me up at 945 am. Gold star to holiday inn express hobby airport. 

20241006_085058.jpg

20241006_090534.jpg

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 8

25 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Next year sw is changing to assigned seating which customers have been asking for. 

Breakfast with a smile. And the front desk was friendly. I started to take a picture of the cinnamon rolls this lady is obviously doing and setting out, she was like let me uncover them, and jumped in the picture. Said sure bring one for the shuttle driver, heres some tin foil. You dont see this much imo at least I dont. And of course jalapenos to put in the warm tortillas I did skip. 

And I put some redi whip in my coffee with 3 squirts of caramel whatever that stuff is. My shuttle driver knows me from Galveston as I'm always bringing off extra champagne for her (she says oh boy mimosa time). I dont drink it, but dont have the suitcase space this time. She is picking me up at 945 am. Gold star to holiday inn express hobby airport. 

20241006_085058.jpg

20241006_090534.jpg

Looks like the beginning of a great day for your sailing.😊

We usually book our trips through amex travel and use our platinum card which has some great coverages.

Then we purchase an annual medical policy through GEO Blue, 

I'll have to double check but I believe it is their Trekker plan.   This coverage is for those with pre-existing conditions and covers $500k for medical Evac.

I think we pay around $250/yr for Eric and around $175 for me.

It is one that Steve and his team highly recommend for those eligible, not available in every state.

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Someone I know, whose father travels a lot for both business annd pleasure always used Medjet. Thats only for medical evacuation I think and he has used them for years. 

Right. MedJet is only an add-on for emergency evac. They are not "insurance" as such. He must be having a travel insurance on top of that.
MedJet quoted around $65K to fly someone we know, from Las Vegas to Florida. He had fallen and fractured 3 lumbar vertibrae, had to be operated there or could have become paralysed since they also discovered some spine condition. And he did not purchase travel insurance. MJ said if he had travel insurance, then the travel insurance could have covered that cost or part of (depending on what plan he had).

40 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Right. MedJet is only an add-on for emergency evac. They are not "insurance" as such. He must be having a travel insurance on top of that.
MedJet quoted around $65K to fly someone we know, from Las Vegas to Florida. He had fallen and fractured 3 lumbar vertibrae, had to be operated there or could have become paralysed since they also discovered some spine condition. And he did not purchase travel insurance. MJ said if he had travel insurance, then the travel insurance could have covered that cost or part of (depending on what plan he had).

Ouch, I hope your friend is doing better😊

I just reviewed our Geo Blue policies and Eric's annual premium is $231 for Trekker Essential with $1 mil for medical, dental  etc and $500k for evac.  And $100 deductible. 

Also nice because should not require payment upfront to medical ctr as they have a large network provider since they also are popular with expats around the world.

I have Trekker choice for $159yr with $500k coverage and $200 deductible.   Guess we figured Eric always costs more for health issues being a transplant recipient.

It is suppose to work onboard medical of cruise ships too.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Thankful I don’t cruise for a month.

Last night while rushing down the sidewalk to get to the DGS football game and watch the band, I tripped over an uneven sidewalk and ended up in the ER all night.  I had a water bottle in my right hand that I couldn’t let go of quick enough and face planted the right side of my face. Unfortunately I bit entirely through my lip. My left hand took some of the fall and is super sore, hands have abrasions on both sides of them (how did that happen) and skinned my knees. I look like I got in a bar fight. The best news is they can’t see any facial fractures on Ct scan or X-rays and no broken teeth. Also there was a plastic surgeon in the hospital so I got the best repair possible. I won’t be able to chew for a week or so. Maybe I can lose a couple of pounds! 

I’ll heal and this is small compared to the suffering in North Carolina, just painful. 

If the uneven sidewalk is on city property or even on private property you may want to consider suing .  My friend stepped off a curb and her shoe got caught on the pavement and she fell forward and broke both her wrists and knocked her head on the concrete , as a result she suffered a stroke.  She isn’t a litigious person but learned others had fallen at the same spot and nothing had been done to correct the problem.

I , too ,fell rushing . I was going to the opera at the Los Angeles music center and fell in front of a lot of people. The only thing I suffered was embarrassment.

i hope you heal quickly. 

9 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I just reviewed our Geo Blue policies and Eric's annual premium is $231 for Trekker Essential with $1 mil for medical, dental  etc and $500k for evac.  And $100 deductible. 

Also nice because should not require payment upfront to medical ctr as they have a large network provider since they also are popular with expats around the world.

I have Trekker choice for $159yr with $500k coverage and $200 deductible.   Guess we figured Eric always costs more for health issues being a transplant recipient.

Does it have a limit on total claim value per policy for  cancellation and a length of trip limit? 

Edited by c-leg5

@firefly333 I understand about giving up control of your purse . The few times we’ve sat in the bulkhead seats I was told to put my purse in the overhead compartment.  I put my purse in the small of my back and leaned back on it.   It can’t be a large purse. 

Those chaise lounges were / are standard pieces of furniture in Sheratons or Westins . Very uncomfortable. 

• Like 1

We were at our favorite restaurant for drinks , dinner and music , bartender made Shelagh a pumpkin martini with a cinnamon stick , very tasty , I had my Johnny Walker Gold before dinner with a bottle of Caymus.

image.jpeg.d7a1a1283d666bb7342762ba94da69f5.jpeg

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

22 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Does it have a limit on total claim value per policy for  cancellation and a length of trip limit? 

I looked at the policy I see it is only medical (therefore no cancellation). It does have a trip limit, which is quite long for normal trips.

Edited by c-leg5

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

The email I got from SW said they would start selling seat assignments in the second half of 2025, for flights the first half of 2026.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

I looked at the policy I see it is only medical (therefore no cancellation). It does have a trip limit, which is quite long for normal trips.

Yes, medical only as that is where the big expense can add up real quick. 

We cruise on average 4 to 5 times a year so for us it is more cost efficient to buy the annual policy than per trip.

We use our Amex platinum card and book most of our hotels, airfare and car rentals through the amex travel website.  Can book cruises through there too.  The card comes with various travel insurance perks.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes, medical only as that is where the big expense can add up real quick. 

We cruise on average 4 to 5 times a year so for us it is more cost efficient to buy the annual policy than per trip.

We use our Amex platinum card and book most of our hotels, airfare and car rentals through the amex travel website.  Can book cruises through there too.  The card comes with various travel insurance perks.

I agree on annual card. I am on the lookout for a new travel CC. Have you made any claims through Amex?

Edited by c-leg5

21 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

I am on the lookout for a new travel CC. Have you made any claims through Amex?

Yes, a couple years ago we had to cancel a family trip (flights, hotel and car rental) when my Dad went into hospice.   

The airline and car rental place wanted a death certificate for reimbursement.    He hadn't passed away by that point.

Amex was very compassionate and asked if I could provide a letter from his doctor or hospice agency.  I got a letter and sent to them within 2 weeks I was fully reimbursed.   

Their team also sent my family a very nice personalized card.

Another time Eric had an issue with damaged luggage and clothes wet and torn from an issue on the tarmac.   He was given $1000 for the claim.  Both claims were handled efficiently and speedy.

I standby them and make sure we use Platty whenever we travel.

You also get free lounge access at most airports at either Centurion lounges or Priority Pass locations.   Free room upgrades at Hiltons.  Access to their executive lounges,  etc etc

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Thanks 1

A few pictures from our time in Michigan. We visited Traverse City, Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, Fishtown and took the ferry to Mackinac Island. Along the way we had great meals, visited wineries, enjoyed beautiful scenery, shopped a little and shared many laughs.  
It was a truly wonderful trip.  

IMG_2803.thumb.jpeg.d6cf30f6323c3aa9c3e29c6ac3a1c021.jpeg

Dunes along Lake Michigan

IMG_2460.thumb.jpeg.872d824dceeb663d999480791e45a55b.jpeg

Andy putting his feet in Lake Michigan

IMG_2467.thumb.jpeg.b4c981932ac9c5f10c0cc29ab8f160b5.jpeg

Wine flights and pumpkin smashes.

IMG_2473.thumb.jpeg.36f9c37a3c961676991867469f6e3a21.jpeg

Fishtown

IMG_2835.thumb.jpeg.80cf8164dd82f85b725bd37f6bb3aea7.jpeg

The Grand Hotel, Mackinac Island

IMG_2866.thumb.jpeg.d260f3d80217cd2f18d787cfa259a38e.jpeg

And a couple of lighthouses for @Ocean Boy

IMG_2487.thumb.jpeg.aa0a0633cf7b8c660a17c1aba4d83258.jpeg

IMG_2843.thumb.jpeg.b0f77b27dbaf0ab323224bfc765977d9.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

A few pictures from our time in Michigan. We visited Traverse City, Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, Fishtown and took the ferry to Mackinac Island. Along the way we had great meals, visited wineries, enjoyed beautiful scenery, shopped a little and shared many laughs.  
It was a truly wonderful trip.  

IMG_2803.thumb.jpeg.d6cf30f6323c3aa9c3e29c6ac3a1c021.jpeg

Dunes along Lake Michigan

IMG_2460.thumb.jpeg.872d824dceeb663d999480791e45a55b.jpeg

Andy putting his feet in Lake Michigan

IMG_2467.thumb.jpeg.b4c981932ac9c5f10c0cc29ab8f160b5.jpeg

Wine flights and pumpkin smashes.

IMG_2473.thumb.jpeg.36f9c37a3c961676991867469f6e3a21.jpeg

Fishtown

IMG_2835.thumb.jpeg.80cf8164dd82f85b725bd37f6bb3aea7.jpeg

The Grand Hotel, Mackinac Island

IMG_2866.thumb.jpeg.d260f3d80217cd2f18d787cfa259a38e.jpeg

And a couple of lighthouses for @Ocean Boy

IMG_2487.thumb.jpeg.aa0a0633cf7b8c660a17c1aba4d83258.jpeg

IMG_2843.thumb.jpeg.b0f77b27dbaf0ab323224bfc765977d9.jpeg

Beautiful pictures. Looks like a wonderful vacation. I had no idea Lake Michigan had such beautiful shorelines.

28 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

Beautiful pictures. Looks like a wonderful vacation. I had no idea Lake Michigan had such beautiful shorelines.

There are various t-shirts that say, "Unsalted, Shark-Free". 🤣

The Great Lakes are like going to the ocean.... only way colder!!!

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, NHProud said:

If the uneven sidewalk is on city property or even on private property you may want to consider suing .  My friend stepped off a curb and her shoe got caught on the pavement and she fell forward and broke both her wrists and knocked her head on the concrete , as a result she suffered a stroke.  She isn’t a litigious person but learned others had fallen at the same spot and nothing had been done to correct the problem.

I , too ,fell rushing . I was going to the opera at the Los Angeles music center and fell in front of a lot of people. The only thing I suffered was embarrassment.

i hope you heal quickly. 

I would usually be very embarrassed but this time I was hurt so bad I just sat there stunned.  Since we were walking into a large high school football game a policeman was right there, he called the rescue squad over from the field and I didn’t protest.  They responded with first aid so I could put pressure on it until I got to the hospital and then they washed the blood off the sidewalk. Lol. It was city. 

I look awful but the swelling is starting to go down a little. I missed the DGS band competition yesterday but they won!  It was with big schools in the Dallas area so I’ve very proud of our freshman who has worked so hard! 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

In the last couple of years, we started purchasing only the Medical and Evacuation coverage.  Our Chase Sapphire credit card offers good limits for cancellation, trip interruption, etc so we just go with that.  
We also use Insure My Trip. I find their website very user friendly, allowing me to easily the compare limits and prices of multiple insurance companies.  They’re actually located in RI and about 5 years ago, I was randomly selected from their customer base to participate in a focus group to provide input on the redesign of their website.  
As far as trip cancellation and interruption, my thought is if something serious enough happens to cause me to cancel or leave a trip early, the loss of the money is the last of my concerns. 
I do think it would be worthwhile for us to look into an Med/Evac policy since we typically travel multiple times per year now. 

@bobmacliberty @Momof3gurlz  have you ever used up the credit card you purchased your cruises with? Most of them state they cover travel issues.  

Lucy is monitoring her domain, much like Ocean Boy at the beach.  

I can confirm that she did not ride 0.1 of a mile, let alone 36 miles today. She did sleep for 3.6 hours in “her” chair though. 

IMG_7218.thumb.jpeg.294e2482e11657890d7ce94eaac60d2f.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, maggieq said:

@bobmacliberty @Momof3gurlz  have you ever used up the credit card you purchased your cruises with? Most of them state they cover travel issues.  

16 minutes ago, Ken at the beach said:

You really have to read the fine print.  Most have a lot of $ limitations as to how much they cover and other limitations as well

I use an Amex Gold card and never considered what insurance it might provide.  I just looked and it covers rental cars and lost luggage (if the full fare is charged to the card).  Not enough to replace separate travel insurance.

• Like 2