Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

I stopped in at the license office in our local community this morning. Would you know it, there was no line at all.

When I walked out of the office I could hear Christmas Carols.  I looked up at the street light decorations wondering if they added speakers, to which they didn’t. I darted across the street and the music got louder.  I then realized that it was coming from the church bell tower. I stopped to take it in, as well as another couple across the road. 

As I listened it made me think about the scene in Home Alone, when Kevin is speaking with the kind old gentleman in the church. You know, "the South Bend Shovel Slayer” who in 1958 murdered his entire family and half of the people on his block with a snow shovel.  

Ahhhhh, memories of Christmas past. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

My drone videos don’t appear to be allowed. Probably because they are too big. I have been recording in 4K which is probably over kill. I need to find a good editor that lets me change format to something not so much a memory hog. 

So, shooting in 4K is always a problem.  I do it with my surf videos and while you can make them somewhat smaller ie 1080P... shooting 4K is just a waste mostly.  The files always end up larger and you can’t really compress them and get them to load.  You can upload them (short cut videos to a server site) I use Smugmug, because I have for 15 years, and you can share the link but shooting in 4K causes large files.  Most web sites hate giant files,

jc

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, singinalot said:

I have 🙂 I like it!

So, while I like what they represent.  We have been drinking the same Viennese coffee for at least 30 years mostly.  I order about every 4 months from Meinl we visited there flagship store in Vienna in 2014 at the end of our first river cruise.  Our hotel was less than a block a way.  O my my... what a wonderful place to have a cup and some snacks.  During the Covid lockdown we have been blessed with a 20% discount. 😉

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Ugh, I’ve been looking for a coffee gift basket for my dad. I have no clue which one would be good. Any thoughts out there?

Making a coffee gift basket would be a lot of fun! There are multiple varieties you could purchase. I would stick with a couple of 1-2  lb. bags of whatever he likes, then add maybe another small bag or two of small roaster blends,  some chocolate and/or biscotti and a good sized mug. You can get clear bags for baskets and basket stuffing for the basket at Dollar Tree or Michael's and fancy bows. What a great gift! :classic_biggrin:

Oh wait. Is he local, or are you looking for something to ship? 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Ugh, I’ve been looking for a coffee gift basket for my dad. I have no clue which one would be good. Any thoughts out there?

I come from a long line of coffee lovers.  I'm going to Black Rifle a shot this year. 

You can try https://beanbox.com/coffee-gifts# they have all kinds of coffees

Or  https://weaverscoffee.com/ 

Then https://atlascoffeeclub.com has a coffee of the month club and other things.  Each month you get a different coffee from a different place in the world.  

Edited by Domino D
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, xpcdoojk said:

So, shooting in 4K is always a problem.  I do it with my surf videos and while you can make them somewhat smaller ie 1080P... shooting 4K is just a waste mostly.  The files always end up larger and you can’t really compress them and get them to load.  You can upload them (short cut videos to a server site) I use Smugmug, because I have for 15 years, and you can share the link but shooting in 4K causes large files.  Most web sites hate giant files,

jc

I’ll take you advice and change the default from 4K to something else. 

Thanks

41 minutes ago, Domino D said:

I come from a long line of coffee lovers.  I'm going to Black Rifle a shot this year. 

You can try https://beanbox.com/coffee-gifts# they have all kinds of coffees

Or  https://weaverscoffee.com/ 

Then https://atlascoffeeclub.com has a coffee of the month club and other things.  Each month you get a different coffee from a different place in the world.  

I drink KCups of whatever Alexa recommends

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Coralc said:

Making a coffee gift basket would be a lot of fun! There are multiple varieties you could purchase. I would stick with a couple of 1-2  lb. bags of whatever he likes, then add maybe another small bag or two of small roaster blends,  some chocolate and/or biscotti and a good sized mug. You can get clear bags for baskets and basket stuffing for the basket at Dollar Tree or Michael's and fancy bows. What a great gift! :classic_biggrin:

Oh wait. Is he local, or are you looking for something to ship? 

He’s in another state so I would need to ship. I like making baskets, but I don’t have the time right now. ☹️

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, singinalot said:

saturday post #5 

when we had driven into town we had passed a gas station and next to it a helicopter propped in the air on a pole. Turns out the gas station was the only place we could get food.

$10 later I had my “linner” of sandwich meat and yogurt covered pretzels. 

It turned out that the helicopter was the entrance to another cemetery...We drove into the entrance with our picnic lunch and low and behold, at the back of the lot was an epic overlook. Mt Pisgah was in clear sight..in fact the name of the cemetery we were at is Mt Pisgah Cemetery and I guess that’s because it looks directly at it. The mountain is 10,081ft.9DFD2E1C-C71D-4C00-9D3B-C6F9BC907FB5.thumb.jpeg.8d5ee07eafc4e8666c5c5d057cc9c733.jpeg

We ate our lunches and I got the drone out. I spent about 20 minutes trusting myself to keep sending it higher and further out. The views from here were spectacular. 

515E493C-EF71-42D1-AFC0-043C35770DF9.thumb.jpeg.56c844fc12996d42ba736488661e90fa.jpeg

B2087299-7243-40FC-975F-38E7D223506A.thumb.jpeg.6dd09ede8f9f7a5432f0990e204e51b8.jpeg

F9A0B1F4-2BEC-44F8-8353-32106A5A2161.thumb.jpeg.fc790b44f3777132c80f2e76d6c96fd8.jpeg

D8080E52-D608-4ED1-B635-F1EE19DF1E0B.thumb.jpeg.0f839482dec00142d0e78004532bd6ae.jpeg

There are a lot of aspen trees spread throughout this cemetery and the sunlight was hitting so beautifully. The wind started to pick up and it was a warm chilled air as I walked through some of the sites.

This acrylic headstone caught my eye and I learned online that many photograph it in the spring when the flowers around are in bloom.4E44C256-CA0E-4ECD-BF38-379ACBF33B63.thumb.jpeg.cca59c4396f10232740addc274bced5e.jpeg

As we exited the cemetery we drove past an enclosed burial site for unknown soldiers

https://tombstone-inscriptions.ppgs.ens-9.com/mtpisgah.htm

I just now read that the person in whom one of my favorite shows, Dr Quinn, is about is buried here!

2FDAFCA8-FA34-49EA-8BA4-1FADB8374F53.thumb.jpeg.6921ecbd97ffc69d5e3ea30ae9523ac1.jpeg

FD404249-7655-445D-B181-53012A39B9C0.thumb.jpeg.8cd3cec8075bad2e04faf55a9007e99e.jpeg96A8655C-8EF4-4831-A2DD-3DF3FF2D8E3C.thumb.jpeg.010b848c7e50bb3ce10aaad42c6c7e1b.jpegCBEAB4B1-9B45-4B4D-905E-7DF1C934BDBA.thumb.jpeg.92dc5f32695a295d99b67ee9297775a9.jpeg7AC6560F-C789-4D69-ABBF-7F8A8529AC08.thumb.jpeg.54c3b3727e082a995f296bfa8198c1eb.jpeg

I logged a few hours in a UH-1 (Huey). 

Great pictures 

M8

• Like 2

9 hours ago, singinalot said:

saturday post #5 

Mt Pisgah was in clear sight..in fact the name of the cemetery we were at is Mt Pisgah Cemetery and I guess that’s because it looks directly at it. The mountain is 10,081ft.

I spent about 20 minutes trusting myself to keep sending it higher and further out. The views from here were spectacular. 

This acrylic headstone caught my eye and I learned online that many photograph it in the spring when the flowers around are in bloom.

I just now read that the person in whom one of my favorite shows, Dr Quinn, is about is buried here!

Love the photos, especially since we are currently having to travel "virtually".  With so many of our favorite Youtuber's having travelled to Colorado, it is now high on my wife's post vaccine list.  Just a beautiful area. 

I have never seen a clear headstone before, interesting and odd.  I also never knew Dr. Quinn was a real person. 

Looks like you are getting more comfortable with the drone.  

10 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

I have never tried one. With all the pictures I just might have to. 

I was living in Carolina at the time McRib made its first appearance on the planet.  Loving BBQ, I had to order one.  It was disgusting, and I didn’t finish it.  I have never and I will never order another McRib no matter how many pictures John posts of it.  I hope it has improved since my first experience eating one in the early 80s.  I tend to suspect that nothing at McDonalds is better than it was 30 years ago.

jc

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Got hooked on a coffee roaster we found in Anchorage Alaska last August...of all things. 😎   Called "Black Cup".  They have their own coffee roasting and tasting cafe shop in Anchorage.  Many different varieties designed to keep the people awake during those long cold winters, and blends for the fisherman on the cold sea.  

Wonderful coffee!  I now order it online..enjoying that magic word..."Free shipping".  😉 

• Like 2

@Milwaukee Eight it is with a sad heart that I must tell you that despite all learned from your videos the past month, Milwaukee Santa has suffered an accident and is down and out.  

We had heavy winds on Sunday night, through today.  He was deflated for safety purposes yesterday.  Upon re-inflation he was unresponsive and could not regain shape.  He was listing badly to one side, as if trying to take a turn to sharp, or that one Concordia Cruise ship.

While I would like to say this was an act of God or just age, I must remind you the Godmother said "No inflatables this year."  So this being a message from the boss lady is not out of possibility.  He will be missed, and replaced with a Penguin in a Santa hat.  If the Penguin ends up in a similar fate, then we'll know more. 

MC Santa 2010 - 2020 

Ride on good buddy

image.png.26a296577bda1afce5cb4ce7bbd87b54.png  

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

I hope it has improved since my first experience eating one in the early 80s.  I tend to suspect that nothing at McDonalds is better than it was 30 years ago.

jc

I would tend to agree with that.  Consistency is a double edged sword.