Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

7 hours ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

635748055338301830-GettyImages-459666468.jpg.360e5dcbc520a3c1244773d75b1b9a09.jpg

Ten years ago, 2011, my son's high school marching band got invited to march in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.  My son was the Drum Major for the band.  We as a family all went as it was the first time we'd been to New York.  There were a lot of planned tours for the students and their families.  It was quite an itinerary.  We visited Ellis Island for Statue of Liberty, Battery Park, Wall Street, Time Square, Metropolitan Museum of Art, the 9/11 Memorial site where they just finished the construction where the Twin Towers were.  It was very emotional visiting there.  One night, the Wind Ensemble performed a concert at Carnegie Hall.  We all went to a Broadway Show.  We saw How To Succeed in  Business Without Really Trying with Daniel Radcliff.  Others saw Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark.  On Thanksgiving night, we enjoyed our Farewell Thanksgiving Dinner while cruising the Hudson River and New York Harbor. There was music and dancing.  Kids, chaperones, parents and families all had a great time.

The night before the parade, we went to the area where they blow up all the balloon.  To see them down on the ground and close up, they were huge.  The subway was packed with people going there and that whole area was so packed.  But it was fun to see how they prepare for the parade.

The band had to be up all night that night for practice, etc.  They got no sleep.  We got up at 3:00a.m. to get our spot on the parade route.  It was freezing cold.  You went numb standing there all night.  

Some of the food places we visited:  Carnegie Deli, Katz Deli, Juniors, Hard Rock Cafe, Ellen's Stardust Diner, The Halal Guys (Oh, the best!)

This was truly a trip of a lifetime that we will never forget.

We used to do Carnegie deli every year on our nyc trips unfortunately it closed a few years ago, our hotel is only one block from Ellen’s stardust diner which is loads of fun , waiters and waitresses are out of work broadway singers and they constantly sing songs all day and night . 

• Like 4

I doing pretty good preparing.    I set the table and draped an extra table cloth on top as this is the first thanksgiving with Eva and Sparky and they doing their job as curious cats.    They never get up on the tables but today they are checking everything out and I am sure no one wants cat hair on their plate.    This weekend will be one year since I adopted them at local shelter.     So thankful to have these little love bugs.

I have on the Macy's Day parade - so great to see the parades back again!    Beautiful weather for the parade helps too!

Eric put out the remainder of the outdoor decorations - blow ups of Santa, Grinch and Bob the Minion, wreaths, lighted bows, etc. and will have our boys help set up when they get here soon.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone.    So thankful for everything and everyone especially my wonderful friends on this thread.     😍

Sending extra prayers for Mimi @jagsfan

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Rather than follow the masses to the many attraction theme parks here near Orlando, we drove up to Clermont to the largest winery/vineyard in Florida yesterday.   Yes, Florida has a winery!  😮  Actually every state in the union has one...even Hawaii.  😉 

Wine is "eh" but many like it, especially being sweeter from native Muscadine grapes.  My sister loved it, and both bro in law and my sister enjoyed the tour of the winery, vineyards, bottling operation, and the the group tasting at the end.  

Naturally Bucky can't help messing with my sister.....which she loves.  😄  

20211124_122757.jpg

20211124_123049.jpg

20211124_120617.jpg

20211124_120736.jpg

Edited by island lady
  • Like 11

I am thankful for so  much in life, and added so many memories to the list.

As I prepared the Thanksgiving Feast, I reflect on all the great events that God has given me the chance to experience.

You see, in my younger days, way younger days I felt I was deprived so many opportunities when my dad lost his Mill job and my parents were to proud to ask for help. My dads odd jobs paid the bills and put food on the table, but not much was left for anything else.

Every year I got a new pair of shoes for school and went to a school that mandated uniforms, and mine lasted the four High School years.  On dress down day I wore old jeans before the rip look was in fashion. And every one at school knew I was the girl that got free lunches.

And in essence your reading about the girl that was shy, backward, and the class joke.

I was gifted with a full scholarship, room and board, and meals to nursing school, part of it was for grades and the other was due to need.

At this point at the early age of 20, I was humbled and learned that I was not entitled to anything due to life's circumstances.  I had to be kind, be proactive and do the best I could.

Get off my broom, and be grateful for the gifts bestowed upon me.

I knew this was my one chance of success, and made the most of it.

I made the most of it and continued my education as far as I could back then and became a very proud Nurse Anesthetist for 30 years.

You do not know what it was like to live life with little of anything .And the free cheese actually was not that bad.

It is for this reason, when I see someone in need, I offer my assistance.

Monetary, or just plain goods.

There are so many people in true need, and I do the best to help.

So I never begged on a street corner.

I always had clothes on my back.

And I learned humility.

Today I volunteer and of course donate as we can to our county's Mission for all the holidays, so all can have a family dinner.

I am not patting myself on the back................contrary, I am just saying How thankful I am for learning to be a better person in life.

To all 

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

AND 

THANKS FOR LETTING ME SHARE.

• Like 23

8 hours ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

635748055338301830-GettyImages-459666468.jpg.360e5dcbc520a3c1244773d75b1b9a09.jpg

Ten years ago, 2011, my son's high school marching band got invited to march in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.  My son was the Drum Major for the band.  We as a family all went as it was the first time we'd been to New York.  There were a lot of planned tours for the students and their families.  It was quite an itinerary.  We visited Ellis Island for Statue of Liberty, Battery Park, Wall Street, Time Square, Metropolitan Museum of Art, the 9/11 Memorial site where they just finished the construction where the Twin Towers were.  It was very emotional visiting there.  One night, the Wind Ensemble performed a concert at Carnegie Hall.  We all went to a Broadway Show.  We saw How To Succeed in  Business Without Really Trying with Daniel Radcliff.  Others saw Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark.  On Thanksgiving night, we enjoyed our Farewell Thanksgiving Dinner while cruising the Hudson River and New York Harbor. There was music and dancing.  Kids, chaperones, parents and families all had a great time.

The night before the parade, we went to the area where they blow up all the balloon.  To see them down on the ground and close up, they were huge.  The subway was packed with people going there and that whole area was so packed.  But it was fun to see how they prepare for the parade.

The band had to be up all night that night for practice, etc.  They got no sleep.  We got up at 3:00a.m. to get our spot on the parade route.  It was freezing cold.  You went numb standing there all night.  

Some of the food places we visited:  Carnegie Deli, Katz Deli, Juniors, Hard Rock Cafe, Ellen's Stardust Diner, The Halal Guys (Oh, the best!)

This was truly a trip of a lifetime that we will never forget.

I do not like your post.  I LOVE it!!!  What a fantastic trip.  Reading about all the wonderful places you visited brings back the best memories ☺️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

As I prepared the Thanksgiving Feast, I reflect on all the great events that God has given me the chance to experience.

You see, in my younger days, way younger days I felt I was deprived so many opportunities when my dad lost his Mill job and my parents were to proud to ask for help. My dads odd jobs paid the bills and put food on the table, but not much was left for anything else.

Every year I got a new pair of shoes for school and went to a school that mandated uniforms, and mine lasted the four High School years.  On dress down day I wore old jeans before the rip look was in fashion. And every one at school knew I was the girl that got free lunches.

And in essence your reading about the girl that was shy, backward, and the class joke.

I was gifted with a full scholarship, room and board, and meals to nursing school, part of it was for grades and the other was due to need.

At this point at the early age of 20, I was humbled and learned that I was not entitled to anything due to life's circumstances.  I had to be kind, be proactive and do the best I could.

I made the most of it and continued my education as far as I could back then and became a very proud Nurse Anesthetist for 30 years.

You do not know what it was like to live life with little of anything .And the free cheese actually was not that bad.

And I learned humility.

Today I volunteer and of course donate as we can to our county's Mission for all the holidays, so all can have a family dinner.

I am not patting myself on the back................contrary, I am just saying How thankful I am for learning to be a better person in life.

To all 

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

AND 

Very well said. Thank you Sue. Happy Thanksgiving!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Keksie said:

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving everyone and safe travels to anyone traveling.  

An interesting story:

A few weeks ago I got an email that my Chewy order had been delivered.  No package to be found.  The next morning I called Chewy and they have the best customer service.  They replaced the order.  A few hours later FedEx showed up and delivered the package.  I called Chewy back and offered to pay for the replacement package which could not be stopped.  Flash forward to Friday.  I get an email that my Chewy package had been delivered.  No package.  I waited until Monday noon to call them.  My husband started a claim with FedEx.  We were home all day Friday and my husband was working in his office with a view of our very long driveway so we knew that no one had come  up the drive all day.  Tuesday here comes FedEx with our package.  It was the manager for our area.  On Friday the driver had marked all the packages as delivered, parked the truck and walked away.  When the truck didn't come back Friday evening they tried calling him but he wouldn't answer.  They finally called the police who called him and he answered and told them where he left the truck. I called Chewy to let them know what happened and that the mystery of our packages had been solved.  I was worried that they had been delivered to the wrong house but there are only 7 houses on our mile long road and the 4 closest ones would have called us to tell us they had our package.

I was uncontrollably crying when I called Chewy to cancel my dogs meds and I was barely able to get words out that he had died. The rep was wonderful and a few days later we received a gorgeous floral arrangement and sympathy card.

• Like 15

1 minute ago, ownedbypets said:

I was uncontrollably crying when I called Chewy to cancel my dogs meds and I was barely able to get words out that he had died. The rep was wonderful and a few days later we received a gorgeous floral arrangement and sympathy card.

I knew they had good customer service but that is outstanding.  

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, ownedbypets said:

I am sorry for your loss. It's so heartbreaking. We have taken all of Maggie's meds, treats and unopened science diet dog food to the shelter to be donated. It's hard to do it but the right thing to do. We are keeping her doggie bed, doggie stairs and assorted toys hopefully for a new puppy when the time is right.

• Like 11

51 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

And I learned humility.

To all 

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

AND 

Beautifully said❤️

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ownedbypets said:

I cried like a baby when we had to put down our wonderful cat joebob about 15 years ago.

• Like 5

Happy Thanksgiving 🦃🧙‍♀️

I spent a little time getting caught up on here from the last couple of days.  I have a little break in the Thanksgiving preparation.  The turkey is in the roaster, topped with bacon of course. 

9207446A-812B-4041-8556-BE91DA0B2680.thumb.jpeg.890aa33a797fec18651781adff6e1b0a.jpeg

We were expecting 14, but now we are down to 9.   I guess that means we will have lots of leftovers now.  It also means we don’t have to set up an extra table.  We can seat 12 at the one table, but have to set up more when it goes above that number. 

The grandkids love these pilgrim chocolate suckers, but so does everyone else, so they all get one. 

E5F237DA-F990-4BE5-A98A-F47EFA71593F.thumb.jpeg.110b463512781f5f990c6cced413c0d6.jpeg

D304868A-D068-4765-B75F-37557EE2E2DC.thumb.jpeg.6c3c9975c1d0b24e7d052f08c4330ca1.jpeg

We had a nice sunrise yesterday, but it usually gets blocked by the many trees we have around us. 

7230469E-E620-4F06-8792-54AC04DF5A89.thumb.jpeg.cea412ae8404b6c4567ce622e5fdb2ba.jpeg

We all do have a lot to be thankful for.  One of the first things we did this week was to stop at the school and provide a donation to their Angel Tree program.  It was sad that at least 95% of the elementary age kids listed they wanted clothes and not toys.  I know we have heard many heartbreaking stories about some of those kids who are less fortunate in her class.  

Happy Thanksgiving again, and give thanks to your blessings. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

Oh, Sue, you write so beautiful.

I went through a bit of what you've experienced, that's why your post had me in tears. I try not to remember those days, but.... you brought them back....

At least for me this period lasted only a few years -- we immigrated to Israel with only 70 kilos (154 pounds) of clothes. No money, for my parents -- only a wedding ring as jewelry. That's what the Communist regime in Romania allowed those who chose to "betray the motherland"....

So my parents had to start from scratch, including buying a broom, and all the other necessities for a basic household, money for those provided by the Jewish Agency, as a mere start.

My dad couldn't find work at the beginning, no language.

BUT for me, the most humiliating was this -- HS requested uniformed blue, and in the clothes I had was only a brown jacket. The supervisor was checking everyone at HS's entrance, and, since I didn't have it in blue, he sent me home, before all the other pupils.... I refused to go back. Luckily, one of the parents who by chance witnessed the "episode", alerted the local social services, and I was issued a voucher for a blue jacket....

Another time, the most popular girl in our class threw a big party at her house, and I was so grateful that she included me, the newcomer.... until I discovered that one of my only "go out" shoes was lost among our belongings, and I had to tell her: "sorry, I've got no shoes"...

Edited by dani negreanu
autocorrect on automat.... spelling
  • Like 13

7 minutes ago, George C said:

I cried like a baby when we had to put down our wonderful cat joebob about 15 years ago.

That shows that you are a wonderful person and loved Joebob deeply.

6 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Happy Thanksgiving 🦃🧙‍♀️

The turkey is in the roaster, topped with bacon of course. 

9207446A-812B-4041-8556-BE91DA0B2680.thumb.jpeg.890aa33a797fec18651781adff6e1b0a.jpeg

Everything is better with bacon.

https://media.giphy.com/media/9OUckbQ3EreNy/giphy.gif

Happy thanksgiving Mark!

6 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

🦃Gobble Gobble to all

I will be gobbling this afternoon. All the best wished to you Marietta and everyone on this thread.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lionesss said:

And I learned humility.

To all 

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

AND 

Thank you for sharing Sue.

I'm so pleased that you have done well after a struggling childhood and show such a caring nature for those not so fortunate.

Happy deserved Thanksgiving.

Graham.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Rather than follow the masses to the many attraction theme parks here near Orlando, we drove up to Clermont to the largest winery/vineyard in Florida yesterday.   Yes, Florida has a winery!  😮  Actually every state in the union has one...even Hawaii.  😉 

Wine is "eh" but many like it, especially being sweeter from native Muscadine grapes.  My sister loved it, and both bro in law and my sister enjoyed the tour of the winery, vineyards, bottling operation, and the the group tasting at the end.  

Naturally Bucky can't help messing with my sister.....which she loves.  😄  

20211124_122757.jpg

20211124_123049.jpg

20211124_120617.jpg

20211124_120736.jpg

What’s wrong with this picture?  Your sister is wearing sandals but Bucky is wearing closed toe shoes!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Oh, Sue, you write so beautiful.

I went through a bit of what you've experienced, that's why your post had me in tears. I try not to remember those days, but.... you brought them back....

At least for me this period lasted only a few years -- we immigrated to Israel with only 70 kilos (154 pounds) of clothes. No money, for my parents -- only a wedding ring as jewelry. That's what the Communist regime in Romania allowed those who chose to "betray the motherland"....

So my parents had to start from scratch, including buying a broom, and all the other necessities for a basic household, money for those provided by the Jewish Agency, as a mere start.

My dad couldn't find work at the beginning, no language.

BUT for me, the most humiliating was this -- HS requested uniformed blue, and in the clothes I had was only a brown jacket. The supervisor was checking everyone at HS's entrance, and, since I didn't have it in blue, he sent me home, before all the other pupils.... I refused to go back. Luckily, one of the parents who by chance witnessed the "episode", alerted the local social services, and I was issued a voucher for a blue jacket....

Another time, the most popular girl in our class threw a big party at her house, and I was so grateful that she included me, the newcomer.... until I discovered that one of my only "go out" shoes was lost among our belongings, and I had to tell her: "sorry, I've got no shoes"...

I'm really pleased you have done well for yourself and family Dani after leaving Romania at a very young age.

Graham.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1