Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

On 12/18/2020 at 1:00 PM, island lady said:

We grow Pineapples from babies.  First original one was from the grocery store, eat the body, chop off the head...stuff it in the dirt.  Brutal.  😉 Then when Pineapples are ripe, repeat the process.  Have six of them growing now...and today was another harvest day.  Mmmm...fresh Pineapple chunks for Bucky's rum drink, and I will use some for my Pineapple, BBQ chicken pizza this weekend.  🙂 

20201218_123707.jpg

20201218_123739.jpg

20201218_123750.jpg

20201218_123850.jpg

Like your tikis. We also have them in our bar room. Have you been to the Mai Kai in Fort Lauderdale?

https://www.maikai.com

We also grow pineapples in the front yard. We decided to incorporate them into the landscape. Here is one that I forgot we had put in the back yard. When I found it it was growing on its side. It didn't grow very big, but it still tasted good.

20200825_130645.jpg

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Domino D said:

It is really funny to see someone cook like that, and yet things always come out. 

Have you seen the new Publix holiday ad where the little girl is making danish Christmas morning with mom, then grows up and does it with her kid.

Their holiday ads are like mini Hallmark movies.

Can't find current one, but this is a collection from years past

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

I think the current one is very sweet and love the little girl.  The only part that drives me crazy is that there is not enough time to make the yeast dough that morning.  It shows them measuring out flour but that kind of dough has to rise several hours before shaping and letting rise again.  It bothers me when there are fake knitters in ads too.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Did you ever stay at the Presidio before they changed it into a park? We used to take the train up when we lived in Silicon Valley. It was a great location to stay at. 

No never did...oh so little time...only one life.  😞 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Like your tikis. We also have them in our bar room. Have you been to the Mai Kai in Fort Lauderdale?

https://www.maikai.com

Bucky makes them himself.  Those are only a few of what we have left.  When we lived in Merritt Island, we had a large fenced in side yard.  He was given several old telephone poles.  Cut them down to size, then started carving with small chain saw and even smaller saws.  Would find a design he liked,  pencil on a face and start cutting.  Then he used teak oil on them and painted them.  Gave many of them away to friends.  These are the ones he kept.  He is now reworking a few of them to change them.  

• Like 3

To all you Legume lovers that make them from dry...not sure this will help, but I make them probably once a week.  I love to experiment with different types.  (Including those black eyed peas I will make for New Years).  

I know having a crock pot dates me...but I love it and still use it all the time. 

My super easy....can't fail...way to cook them:

Clean the beans by rinsing in cold water, drain.  Add to pot on the stove with plenty of fresh water to more than cover them, bring to boil.  When they are floating.. .turn off heat...leave sit while you prep the crock pot.  I cut up lots of sweet onions, a half stick butter and toss into crock pot.  Optional:  Cut up bacon, celery, etc...for flavor...but never...never add salt or seasonings until they are soft.  Salt will keep them from softening up.  

I start them on high setting in the crockpot for an hour, then adjust to low and cook several more hours.  Check and stir adding more water just to keep covered if needed. Once soft, then add seasoning of choice.  I love to add paste pork base, which is all the salt I need for flavor. 

I have made these a day in advance sometimes, then used them to make my kick ass chili the next day.  Yumm..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Mike had to fly to Port-au-Prince yesterday. While they were loading the plane the fork lift driver hit the antenna and scrapped plane which is carbon fiber. $$$$$  Maybe they need to have recurrent training every year like the pilots do. 😁

I scratched my car the other day and was really mad at myself.  Stupid mistake.  Nothing compared to that fork lift driver.  Ouch.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Domino D said:

So let me tell you about pandemic life in Georgia.  In 2 days we have received 42 (no exaggeration) phone calls from voter action and political pacts.  I apologize to anyone who is truly vested in the outcome of the elections, but I am so sick of this and couldn't care less who wins anymore.  Best part, I voted by mail 2 days ago. 

Amelia Island gets all of the Jacksonville TV stations.  Since Jacksonville TV serves the southeast corner of GA, we get ALL of the political ads.  They do drive you crazy.  Just when you thought they were behind you.  Reminds me of this funny bit from Greg Warren:

(14) My Parents by Greg Warren - YouTube

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ATG said:

Many, many years ago (about 1970), I was lucky enough to have saved the money needed to take a school trip to Europe.  We spent 3 weeks there, ending up in London.  When we left to fly home we were on a 747.  They were new and not yet common.  The caterer had forgotten something and opened a door to sneak it in.  Unfortunately, the door was an escape with the big orange slide which inflated.  We waited 4 hours for a replacement slide.  Stuck in narrow economy seats.  Of course at 16 it was an adventure.  So, I agree, anything can happen to a plane.

For some reason, certain meaningless bits of information stick in my brain.  30+ years ago, we were visiting my roommate's friend, who was a flight attendant.  She told us that a device called a Girt Bar is attached to the bottom of plane exit doors.  If the door is opened with the Girt Bar in place, the slide will inflate.  They remove the Girt Bar before opening the door under normal conditions, and reattach it for take-off.  When they make an announcement for flight attendants to prepare for take-off and cross-check, one of the things they do is verify that the Girt Bar is properly in place.  

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Amelia Island gets all of the Jacksonville TV stations.  Since Jacksonville TV serves the southeast corner of GA, we get ALL of the political ads.  They do drive you crazy.  Just when you thought they were behind you.  Reminds me of this funny bit from Greg Warren:

(14) My Parents by Greg Warren - YouTube

Same sort of thing here.  North east corner of Georgia so we also get South Carolina’s political ads.  We’ve stopped watching live TV (except for college football) and tape everything so we can zip through the ads.  We’ve stopped answering the phone...rings all the time with robo calls from all over the place.  We’ve let our friends know to just leave a message.

• Like 1

New slang terms for us to overuse and hate soon. I'm embarrassed that I was only able to guess 4 out of 10 correctly. My youthful street cred is gonna take a hit.

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2020/12/us/new-year-words-slang-pandemic-trnd/index.html

Yes, it's a CNN site but it's not political, just a fun harmless quiz so it's safe to click on. We could all engage in some Gleefrshing no matter what Blursday it is. Can't wait to we go back to The Before Times.

BTW, those hints may or may not be correct.

• Like 2