Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

47 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

His appetite is roaring. 4 eggs, bacon and toast today for breakfast.

Lisa and I still tested negative this morning.

Good to hear. I’m hoping you and Lisa stay negative.

1 hour ago, molly361 said:
1 hour ago, molly361 said:

Heading out shortly for the Indy and to see my friend @Ourusualbeach  

Have a great cruise!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Leaving now as well.

20220221_084846.jpg

Bon Voyage Ken! Have a great time.

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Cropping is your friend 😇

Screenshot_20220221-091611_Chrome.thumb.jpg.59621fe68380727a53b766713ae937ab.jpg

Enjoy the launch/landing

Also holding the phone horizontal would have cropped it naturally.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Maybe if living inland in Florida but living on either coast next to a beach, hurricanes can wipe you out.

Inland there are tornados.  Everywhere there are fires and floods that can wipe you out.  I am sure you love your state, I know I love mine and now that I am here it will be until I die of old age.

• Like 10

38 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Maybe if living inland in Florida but living on either coast next to a beach, hurricanes can wipe you out.

Hurricanes can also wipe out places further up the east coast (see Hugo and Charleston) or around the Gulf (see Katrina and New Orleans).  Earthquakes or fires can wipe you out in California.  Tornadoes can wipe you out in many places in the Midwest.  You probably won't get wiped out, but heavy snow storms in many places can take out power for days.  Pick your poison.

I was working near Los Angeles in the mid-90s during a time when there were bad fires.  It was strange driving up the Pacific Coast Highway from LA and seeing fires in the hills coming down to the coast.  A woman was sorting through her belongings in the ashes of her burned down house while being interviewed by the local news.  She said that there were natural disaster risks in many places and that she'd rather live in "paradise" and risk having to rebuild her house every decade or so.  To each their own.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

I guess if you live in a tent or a mobile home.

Personally, we lived through 3 hurricanes in the first 6 years of beach living. Mandatory evacuations are really just a suggestion 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

We may be known for hurricanes, but the chances seem to be they hit somewhere else instead, so we take them off the drawing board. 

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Hurricanes can also wipe out places further up the east coast (see Hugo and Charleston) or around the Gulf (see Katrina and New Orleans).  Earthquakes or fires can wipe you out in California.  Tornadoes can wipe you out in many places in the Midwest.  You probably won't get wiped out, but heavy snow storms in many places can take out power for days.  Pick your poison.

I was working near Los Angeles in the mid-90s during a time when there were bad fires.  It was strange driving up the Pacific Coast Highway from LA and seeing fires in the hills coming down to the coast.  A woman was sorting through her belongings in the ashes of her burned down house while being interviewed by the local news.  She said that there were natural disaster risks in many places and that she'd rather live in "paradise" and risk having to rebuild her house every decade or so.  To each their own.  

We live in the “notch”. I don’t want to attract the “fickle finger of fate”, but we’re indented  enough that hurricanes would have to make a left turn to find us. They tend to go straight up toward Georgia if they’re going north. 
You picked a good area to move to. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Leaving now as well.

20220221_084846.jpg

Is one of those suitcases empty to hold all of your daughters current (Ron Jon) & future vacation purchases? 😉

EDIT: sorry, I thought I was still on the Bella thread. 

Edited by HBE4
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

We may be known for hurricanes, but the chances seem to be they hit somewhere else instead, so we take them off the drawing board. 

I'm actually amazed by how few hurricane seem to directly hit Florida.  Watching the Weather Channel, they make it seem like a every other week occurrence Aug - Oct.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

The sweeping action causes the ice to melt a little bit, which makes it slipperier.  When the ice is slippery, there's less friction so less for the bottom of the stone to "grab" allowing it to curve.  With less friction, the spinning stone just travels straight.  It makes more sense to my once when explained that way.

Ah, okay. That does make sense. Thanks for the explanation.

33 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I guess if you live in a tent or a mobile home.

Personally, we lived through 3 hurricanes in the first 6 years of beach living. Mandatory evacuations are really just a suggestion 😉

We left our house during a hurricane because of a mandatory evacuation but when we returned we realized that the majority of our neighbors did not leave.The next time there was a mandatory evacuation we did not leave.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

We live in the “notch”. I don’t want to attract the “fickle finger of fate”, but we’re indented  enough that hurricanes would have to make a left turn to find us. They tend to go straight up toward Georgia if they’re going north. 
You picked a good area to move to. 

That was actually one of the (several) reasons that we chose this area.  Amelia Island hasn't had a direct hit in more than 50 years, I believe largely because of the "notch".  There has been some wind and wave damage from storms passing by but nothing too serious.  Our friends in PVB summarized it well for us.  First, you can see a hurricane coming from a long way away...not like a tornado or earthquake.  Lots of time to plan/prepare.  Second, category 1/2/3 means stock up on food and liquor but otherwise don't worry too much (hurricane party!), category 4 means prepare to evacuate, category 5 means run like hell.  Third, if the worst case happens and assuming you took all valuables with you when evacuating, you use insurance money to rebuild.

• Like 8