Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

52 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

ANZAC Day was originally devised to honour the members of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZACs) who served in the Gallipoli Campaign in the First World War.

It is on the 25 April  and we have a Public Holiday each year as a National Day of Remembrance for all those who served our country, not just in WWI. There are dawn services, parades and other events around the country and overseas.

Remembrance Day, whilst of equal importance, is not a Public Holiday and I feel has a lower profile in terms of events that occur on the day.

2 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

I think Anzac Day is tied to the Gallipoli invasion date?  I know we celebrated it on a cruise from NZ 20 years ago with the Kiwis.

Thanks for the history info.  I've been a big follower over the years of Super Rugby and have observed some very impressive ANZAC day pre-game ceremonies.  Super Rugby season traditionally rolls over ANZAC day. I just assumed that that was it for you guys and Remembrance Day was a Canada/UK thing.  I was surprised and impressed by the picture you posted.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We won't be there.  😥They are doing their own thing with Justice of Peace at a courthouse in Philadelphia.   They decided it would be tough to have a bunch of family due to way the JOP handles things.   

Also, Chris didn't want Donna to be upset since her parents are divorced and her Father lives out of country and her Mother out of state.

I was told they have someone at the courthouse that can take a video as a keepsake.    A bunch of us will go out to dinner Thursday night then they will go out to dinner with friends Friday night.

Their choice, their special day so I'm just going with the flow and respecting their wishes to not have anything big for them.

We are all looking forward to cruising together again next March.🥰

That's kind of sad that you won't be there for the wedding. 🤔 But I guess, if they want to do their own thing. I thought doing stuff, and dress shopping with my mom was kind of fun. Bill and I paid for the ship/wedding/reception. And Bill's mom paid for a lovely honeymoon cruise. 

But I think you said you are paying for their cruise in March. So that will be nice.

Congratulations to the soon to be newlyweds. ☺️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just watched this drone video of the destruction done by hurricane Nicole.   So very sad😓

https://www.clickorlando.com/weather/hurricane/2022/11/11/watch-drone-video-shows-crumbled-florida-homes-devastated-by-nicole/

WOW!!! That is horrible to see. It is amazing how much some of the seawalls held up better than others. And there even appear to be a couple of new builds that are under construction. They might be revaluating their purchase, with all the homes that are going to have to be demolished. 

Thanks for posting the link, Deb. :classic_sad:

Edited by Coralc
  • Thanks 1

I just watched this drone video of the destruction done by hurricane Nicole.   So very sad😓

https://www.clickorlando.com/weather/hurricane/2022/11/11/watch-drone-video-shows-crumbled-florida-homes-devastated-by-nicole/

Trying to figure out what that yellow bull dozer(2:10 mark) was trying to do and even wondering how the heck it got down there?

Just a mess,  Total Destruction for some

Edited by Jimbo

4 hours ago, brillohead said:

Guess who these shots are for?

Costa Maya, Oasis of the Seas, 11/11/2023

a.thumb.jpg.5bb93c709b2ef666fc98d7eb90d6daf7.jpg

b.thumb.jpg.02134318274f380cc1c6c8e0be890439.jpg

c.thumb.jpg.084cb50f7e2e2e7d4c8cc2585fb8c892.jpg

d.thumb.jpg.a7aae01cfd1bda8fdd9cf646ea7428a1.jpg

e.thumb.jpg.36c632eec231294997baebc55a4bc0fe.jpg

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner! These look great!!

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

@Sea Doghave you watched the new season of White Lotus? 

I do not have HBO right now and wondering if this season is as good as the first season.

I’ve got it marked to watch. Hope to start it soon. I hope it will be as good as season 1.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Yes, that’s it.  I started it around 11 am today and have read almost half.  Granted, that’s ALL I did today 🙂

I don't know if there are any James Rollins fans, but "Kingdom of Bones" (ebook)  is on sale for $2.99 today. ☺️

Edited by Coralc

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Trying to figure out what that yellow bull dozer(2:10 mark) was trying to do and even wondering how the heck it got down there?

I saw that. I'm sure there is some beach access down one of the ramps. (The video shows a ramp at some point.) But I think it was probably too late to do anything. 

When we were on Antigua, we took a helicopter tour over to Montserrat, where the volcano had destroyed the island with ash debris. Pyroclastic flows.  One of the sites we flew over was full of half buried earth moving equipment. According to our pilot, a gentleman had tried to start a business with the ash mining. There was another eruption, and all of his (uninsured) equipment had to be abandoned. 

It was really interesting. 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We won't be there.  😥They are doing their own thing with Justice of Peace at a courthouse in Philadelphia.   They decided it would be tough to have a bunch of family due to way the JOP handles things.   

Also, Chris didn't want Donna to be upset since her parents are divorced and her Father lives out of country and her Mother out of state.

I was told they have someone at the courthouse that can take a video as a keepsake.    A bunch of us will go out to dinner Thursday night then they will go out to dinner with friends Friday night.

Their choice, their special day so I'm just going with the flow and respecting their wishes to not have anything big for them.

Dan and I were married in the courthouse in Honolulu. No family. We even had to pay for a witness 😇

• Like 9

Some photos from the last week here. 

Corn harvest finished at my place. 

8E5388A2-AAB4-4A18-8230-06F94E4C3929.thumb.jpeg.8eda5d4fbdf87746cb5010872d20110f.jpeg

A harvest moon I guess. 

90EE13CA-6144-42B2-A30E-DFD897A5F2C6.thumb.jpeg.f51e3471c1d960dd8787603eb8837930.jpeg

A wonderful sunrise. 

940C7B65-B7FB-4BED-8BC6-91032F5D7314.thumb.jpeg.1b9a541bb96c7735a893e79872303757.jpeg

And the exterior improvements are done at my moms. 

The old trelliss has been replaced. There is new exterior wood siding, as well as the facia and soffit has been clad in aluminum on the house and garage.  No exterior work needed for decades to come. I tried to get her to replace her wood garage doors for the fibreglass wood ones but she didn’t go for it. 

447D662A-1352-46EE-B1E3-E0F4B4DEF5DA.thumb.jpeg.b7e29324a7737e4a13d8c9e69d28bf6c.jpeg

• Like 17

Owen’s football season finished with a loss last week, so their season is over. Hockey is well into full swing. Three games this week, with three wins. Last night he had three assists and a goal.  They are currently second in their division.

School marks have been rolling in and midterm marks are due this week. Those have been solid, with marks between 78-95. 

• Like 14

Good morning from  this  cold snowy day in Oxford Ohio. Second snow for us this fall. First one was back home.  Very light. Doubt it will accumulate. 

Last night was a great visit with daughter and son in law. 

Today. Besides trying to stay warm, shopping and walking. 

Take care stay warm. 

• Like 9

11 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Congratulations in advance to Chris and Donna and to you & Eric also on your new daughter-in-law.  You’ll have a nice dinner Thursday and an even nicer celebration with them in March 🚢 !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Coralc said:

I saw that. I'm sure there is some beach access down one of the ramps. (The video shows a ramp at some point.) But I think it was probably too late to do anything. 

Not sure what his intention was or when the bulldozer actually got there, before the storm  or during the storm.  But di he have intentions of pushing the water back with the dozer or was he just going to keep pushing earth up toward his house as the waves came crashing into him from behind.

What ever he was trying to do it was a fruitless attempt. You can't control mother natural if the wall between you and the water isn't hurricane strength enforced which it looks like many walls weren't.

A very dangerous attempt if he was on that dozer during the storm.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I saw the bull dozer and wondered the same.   Maybe it had been working on a project prior to the storm and just ended up down there when everything collapsed into the sea.

7 hours ago, Coralc said:

When we were on Antigua, we took a helicopter tour over to Montserrat, where the volcano had destroyed the island with ash debris. Pyroclastic flows.  One of the sites we flew over was full of half buried earth moving equipment. According to our pilot, a gentleman had tried to start a business with the ash mining. There was another eruption, and all of his (uninsured) equipment had to be abandoned. 

It was really interesting. 

Years ago when we were on Serenade, Capt. Stig brought us up close for a view of Montserrat. I remember it being so quiet up on deck as people took in the utter destruction of the area.It was so moving that I can still remember the captain of that sailing after all these years.

• Like 8

54 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Not sure what his intention was or when the bulldozer actually got there, before the storm  or during the storm.  But di he have intentions of pushing the water back with the dozer or was he just going to keep pushing earth up toward his house as the waves came crashing into him from behind.

What ever he was trying to do it was a fruitless attempt. You can't control mother natural if the wall between you and the water isn't hurricane strength enforced which it looks like many walls weren't.

A very dangerous attempt if he was on that dozer during the storm.

What amazes me is the density of development that Florida has on its coasts. It is wonderful having the ocean on the other side of your back yard until that ocean decides that boundaries mean nothing to it. Then it is not so wonderful.

• Like 10

11 hours ago, Coralc said:

That's kind of sad that you won't be there for the wedding. 🤔 But I guess, if they want to do their own thing. I thought doing stuff, and dress shopping with my mom was kind of fun. Bill and I paid for the ship/wedding/reception. And Bill's mom paid for a lovely honeymoon cruise. 

But I think you said you are paying for their cruise in March. So that will be nice.

Congratulations to the soon to be newlyweds. ☺️

From the time of their engagement Christmas 2019.  They have been saying they wanted a small wedding.   When covid hit they started thinking about doing something outdoors at a park or on the beach in LBI.  

Then in 2021 they started looking at buying a house.  They made offers on a couple homes in 2021 and 2022 but were always outbid.   We had offered to gift them money to help with downpayment and closing costs so they would have a more attractive offer to a seller.  They gave up for now with mortgages rates in the 7s and very few homes for sale.

Donna is from a family that has struggled to keep their head above the water since she was little girl so she is very understanding of money and just didn't see the need to "waste" money on a couple hours for a wedding.   She now has a great job and is a great saver.   

We are looking at as if they are eloping.   

We treated for their cruise last March, their first one.  On that cruise I had suggested maybe get married on a cruise or on a island.   They liked that idea but Donna didn't think her family would be able to attend. 

We are treating as a wedding gift the cruise next March.   They are both really excited!!

Yes, it's a shame we won't be there to see their nuptials but we are okay with that and will enjoy a nice dinner with immediate family on Thursday.

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I took my temporary dog for a walk in -20 (Google tells me it’s -4 Fahrenheit). It was a pleasant walk, but one has to be dressed for it!

James returns next month to have Christmas with us, and pick up the dog. The cats will be relieved. Thor really likes Gus, and washes his ears. Gus, being a cat, is horrified.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

What amazes me is the density of development that Florida has on its coasts. It is wonderful having the ocean on the other side of your back yard until that ocean decides that boundaries mean nothing to it. Then it is not so wonderful.

Couldn't pay me to live there.

Even to rebuild now, can't imagine how much higher it will now be there to get homeowners insurance. It's going to go sky high for all those owners.

Many I assume will not rebuild, take the insurance money and move elsewhere for sure. There is no need for all the retired people to stay there.

Edited by Jimbo

3 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

Well. This is now happening. 

83621AFE-5B3A-4A31-ACF8-9B600F9B06C9.thumb.jpeg.b4ad0f07513ea5bdf4fa65e47f491a76.jpeg

BCF22F1D-2CB1-4324-A7BD-57BF666D50BE.thumb.jpeg.6fc1436578ce33a4b0f5f84f9cf1fd7c.jpeg

Roxy and Astrid posing for pictures. 

Yikes !!!   I'm still mowing grass in Virginia. No plow on my tractor yet...........Snow stay away !!

2" of rain yesterday, temperature was 75 degrees, North of us in Roanoke had 4" of rain. Beautiful day here today. Sunny and few clouds. Was in the Hot Tub this morning. 🙂

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 6