Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

@xpcdoojkso sorry to hear how sick you were for Christmas.  Not Covid in our house, but pretty sick household.  Quietest Christmas and Christmas Eve.  Luckily, all are finally on the mend. 

I so wanted to hug my grandsons last night before we headed for Florida.  He put on his hoodie and a mask and we had the bestest hug ever!  Man, I love these kids!!!💕

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Luckynana said:

@xpcdoojkso sorry to hear how sick you were for Christmas.  Not Covid in our house, but pretty sick household.  Quietest Christmas and Christmas Eve.  Luckily, all are finally on the mend. 

I so wanted to hug my grandsons last night before we headed for Florida.  He put on his hoodie and a mask and we had the bestest hug ever!  Man, I love these kids!!!💕

I'm so sorry to hear your household was poorly Maryann.

I'm happy to hear you are all on the mend now.

Screenshot_20221224_110439.jpg

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Leonard had some catnip earlier today. I didn't film it but he acted much like @helen haywood girls.

Clearly you respect Leonard’s privacy more than I do my girls’!

I just love taking pictures of them.  I should have the camera in hand at all times.  The other day Minnie was up on her hind legs peering into a curio cabinet…it would have made a great curio on curio photo.

Edited by helen haywood
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

Maryann, you beat me to it.  That's exactly what I was just about to post!

+ 3 , Mark @h20skibum, @Luckynana

1 hour ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Gosh, I'm so sorry you were all sick - flu plus Covid at the same time must have been gnarly!!! Glad you got to enjoy your cruise before the crud kicked in, but sorry that it ruined Christmas. 😞 Hope you feel better soon.

+1 @xpcdoojk JC

37 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I'm so sorry to hear your household was poorly Maryann.  I'm happy to hear you are all on the mend now.

+1 Maryann, safe travels to Naples @Luckynana

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Good Luck, Bet you will remember this trip for a long time. Are you on the 3:30pm flight? have you started to board yet?

Thanks, made it home... I was on that 3:30 flight.  We pulled away from the gate just a little after 4pm

16 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

All these flight issues with Southwest are crazy.  We’ve never had an issue with them however I can’t help but think they’ve really damaged their reputation with this fiasco.  I hope they get things straightened out by then end of January. We’re flying them home (🤞) from Miami after our NCL cruise. 

I typically use Alaska when flying up and down the coast and try to use Delta for all east west flights.  I booked this flight only because I had credit to burn.  The original plan was for my sister, with her grandson who she raises, to come down here for Christmas.  We booked and paid for the tickets.  Unfortunately, she couldn't get herself organized enough to get a passport before it was too late.  Knowing my sister like I do, I had feared that this might happen so I booked tickets with SW because they have liberal cancel and exchange policies.  They allow you to cancel and to transfer the tix someone else's SW account. Hence, how I ended up with SW credit. 

I still have some credit left. I'm not sure if I'm just going to let it expire or if I'll use it towards a flight later in the year.  We'll see how things develop of the next while.

14 hours ago, HBE4 said:

As someone who it perpetually late to everything in life, I appreciate you stopping by, Haven't played "Closing Time" yet so it never to late to join. 

** sung to the tune of deck the halls **

Tis the season to be stressed out,

Fa-a-la-a-la-la-la-la

I'm exhausted, there is no doubt

Fa-a-la-a-la-la-la-la

No relaxing, gonna scream and shout

Fa-a-la-a-la-la-la-la

Full disclosure: I may be on my third Egg Nog & Kraken and "accidentally" reversed the portions on the last one. And it's only 8:00 pm NY time. Don't judge me. 😉😇🥃

Thanks, I needed a good laugh and that made me chuckle. I woke up this morning sick as a dog.  Sinus and chest congestion as bad as I ve had in a long while.  It was just a tiny little sniffle last night.  It exploded while I was sleeping.  I plan on being miserable for several days.  So much for NYE

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I've seen a couple of posts on Twitter from supposed employees of Southwest Airlines who anonymously posted info to help stranded passengers (and I think vent their own frustrations).  They claim that the problem is not so much weather related (although that was probably the trigger) but rather due to an antiquated crew management system that is used to schedule pilots and flight attendants on specific planes.  The system is based on where crew are supposed to be, rather than where they actually are.  It started losing track of who's where and eventually could no longer be used.  One pilot said that there are more than enough crew where he is (Denver IIRC), and the crew all want to fly so that they can also get home.  Even though they have planes and crews in the right place, they struggled to get things set so planes could actually take off.  

I'm not sure how true this is (social media after all), but the pilot said that they need to do a hard reset of the system.  It will take several days to get things unwound, and they should be back to full operational status in about a week.  Lost luggage however could take as much as a month to get returned to the rightful owner.

It was interesting, when we all lined up for the cattle call boarding, there was an extra line of SW employee's that lined up opposite of us.  They must have boarded over 30 pilots and flight attendants before letting us board the plane.  Clearly, three days later, they still have a bunch of employee's in the wrong location.

• Like 11

Oh, those problems with Southwest have been a stressor here.  Our daughter missed one of her treatment sessions this week, because of hospital scheduling problems over the holidays.  So they were booked on SW to fly home in time for her treatment the beginning of next week. With SW cancellations continuing, they found 4 seats on another airline for Sunday. 

I think this fiasco will hurt SW

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Coralc said:

Happy Holidays to you and your family, Harry! I am looking forward to Getty Center photos! 

Was there anything about P-22 at Griffith Park? 😀 I read today in the paper that there was an impromptu memorial with two Chihuahua statues in honor of his last meal. LOL. ☺️

No mention of P-22 when we were there.

Here's the background on the mountain lion for those who are not familiar with this famous LA resident:

https://www.nps.gov/articles/000/puma-profiles-p-022.htm#:~:text=P-022 was our most,is a very old cat!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Our visit to the Getty Museum in LA:

Wee knew rain was coming by afternoon so we spent the first part of the visit outdoors.

20221227_120305_resized.thumb.jpg.b8165e57a2556b58815ed2110eebd004.jpg

20221227_120818_resized.thumb.jpg.3bf918d6ba6dd46e477476e464011cfe.jpg

20221227_123551_resized.thumb.jpg.d966b9c5dea793a782bb85178a39e742.jpg

Catcus garden overlooking LA and the 405 Freeway

20221227_130129_resized.thumb.jpg.2ec53a4d41198a49dcd5a4effeebae70.jpg

20221227_125728_resized.thumb.jpg.459650a1da14ddfca03b6173112b2a6d.jpg

20221227_141402_resized.thumb.jpg.3cdee8fb73d136a53efcc07bf9ad5019.jpg

IMG-20221227-WA0042.thumb.jpg.0955e93328e208c8d07faca21a58f207.jpg

When the rain came, we went inside:

20221227_122101_resized.thumb.jpg.35bba9161c1a5a82dd8db6dcf2aa41e0.jpg

20221227_141928_resized.thumb.jpg.393b6f73e45f4a4723475ddc712f7e44.jpg

20221227_141746_resized.thumb.jpg.22d061003e03884ecdedc8ed14a6c24c.jpg

I like this one

20221227_142647_resized.thumb.jpg.c5232fb928de7d8e8580bbc61375187c.jpg

Van Gogh painting:

20221227_143154_resized.thumb.jpg.e5b64634bb40d2877e29ea9ab4fccd26.jpg

20221227_151209_resized.thumb.jpg.6bd68b19b111fa6115f36989179bfe5f.jpg

Museum consists of multiple buildings and they offer free rental umbrellas to move from building to building

20221227_163002_resized.thumb.jpg.631b7a7c1e226e3ea172e42491e35260.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Thanks, made it home... I was on that 3:30 flight.  We pulled away from the gate just a little after 4pm

I typically use Alaska when flying up and down the coast and try to use Delta for all east west flights.  I booked this flight only because I had credit to burn.  The original plan was for my sister, with her grandson who she raises, to come down here for Christmas.  We booked and paid for the tickets.  Unfortunately, she couldn't get herself organized enough to get a passport before it was too late.  Knowing my sister like I do, I had feared that this might happen so I booked tickets with SW because they have liberal cancel and exchange policies.  They allow you to cancel and to transfer the tix someone else's SW account. Hence, how I ended up with SW credit. 

I still have some credit left. I'm not sure if I'm just going to let it expire or if I'll use it towards a flight later in the year.  We'll see how things develop of the next while.

Thanks, I needed a good laugh and that made me chuckle. I woke up this morning sick as a dog.  Sinus and chest congestion as bad as I ve had in a long while.  It was just a tiny little sniffle last night.  It exploded while I was sleeping.  I plan on being miserable for several days.  So much for NYE

It was interesting, when we all lined up for the cattle call boarding, there was an extra line of SW employee's that lined up opposite of us.  They must have boarded over 30 pilots and flight attendants before letting us board the plane.  Clearly, three days later, they still have a bunch of employee's in the wrong location.

I'm beginning to dread our vacation to Disney in 3 weeks. First time flying since Covid. Seems everyone is getting sick again after traveling.

If this doesn't go well I fear my Wife will ground us for other upcoming planned vacations. 😞

We are flying from Roanoke/Blacksburg Airport, 1st time for us from there.  Flying for the first time on Allegiant Airlines too. 

We do have 2 direct flights though from smaller Airports, one from Roanoke(ROA) to Orlando Stanford (SFB), then flying home from St. Petersburg/Clearwater(PIE) to Roanoke(ROA) after visiting some relatives in Bradenton.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I saw a thread on Air Tags and thought with all that is going on with flying, this might be a good time to invest in some.  It would also help in finding the luggage in the hallway once on board the ship.  I think I remember @Sea Dog Greg using them.  Are they worth it?

The way it is now, best to pack everything you really need in a carryon............

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/27/2022 at 11:57 AM, BonTexasNY said:

I hope my Dallas area neighbors are enjoying our sunny weather. High of 50 today, high of 67 tomorrow.  I'm loving it.

Onward to Bath and Body Works for their semi-annual sale!

I tried last year but there were at least 50 people in line outside. 
They would let one person in as one came out. 
I quickly gave up!

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Glad to hear you finally made it home! So sorry that you're under the weather. Everyone is sick right now, it seems. 😞 Feel better soon!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I saw a thread on Air Tags and thought with all that is going on with flying, this might be a good time to invest in some.  It would also help in finding the luggage in the hallway once on board the ship.  I think I remember @Sea Dog Greg using them.  Are they worth it?

We use them with our luggage and highly recommend.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You can tell that the east coast people get up much earlier than those west coasters.  

I was up, and did a five mile walk with my daughter before 7am.  Then some pool time and beach time for sandcastle building 101 with our east coast grandkids. 

7675B0CA-262C-4E78-96BF-6670AAD021D9.thumb.jpeg.1ce5e39cba7b643394432ed2cc450716.jpeg

We had this built and were back to the house, just as our west coast grandson got up. 🤣🤣

• Like 11
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Flying for the first time on Allegiant Airlines too. 

Oh my, Allegiant is a bit of a deal.  They are definitely a budget budget airline.  I used to fly them all the time when we still owned a home and other property up in Canada.  They were the only airline that flew direct into Bellingham WA out of a few different locations in CA.  I could be at our house in Langley BC in 30 minutes from there which is much more convenient than flying to Seattle and driving up or connecting in Seattle and having to wait for the connection.  There seats were terribly uncomfortable and they charge for everything.  Bags, carry on, even soda if I remember right.  That being said, they always got me where I was going, so no complaints on that front.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

We used them also on our recent Alaska/Hawaii trip.  They worked very well.  They rely on being near someone with an iPhone so if there's no iPhone nearby, you won't see a real time location.  We tracked 4 suitcases on our trip and since there are iPhones almost everywhere, we mostly had a good idea of where they were.  We had one instance flying from Atlanta to Jacksonville where 3 suitcases showed that they had arrived in JAX, but one was still showing as being in ATL.  The time stamp for the bag in ATL was from a couple of hours earlier, so we were fairly certain that it would show up as being in JAX at some point.  It never did until it came out on the baggage claim belt.  In a situation like what's currently happening with SWA, you'd at least know what airport your bags are in.

• Like 3