Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

7 hours ago, h20skibum said:

I am looking for a little info from our friends here, on tires.  On both of our SUVs, I have been running Michelin Latitude Tours, and they have given me good mileage, ride, and performance in the snow.  However, Michelin discontinued these and replaced them with Tour HPs, which do not appear to be as good.

So now I am researching new tires for our Highlander. I have looked at a couple from Goodyear that rate high.  I have been looking at Goodyear Assurance Comfortdrive and the Goodyear CC2.  Both appear to rate pretty high.  The only thing that concerns me is the CC2 has a directional tread, so rotations could only be front to back on the same side of the vehicle.

Anyone have any experience with either of these?  If so, how are they for ride quality, quietness, and performance in snow?  Or, has anyone used other tires that they would recommend.

I don't have experience with either of those tires.  I can tell you that I've got Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires on my Mercedes SUV and Micheline has Goodyear Eagle F1 tires on her Range Rover.  Both sets came with the car and we haven't had any problems with either.  Both provide a good ride and good performance.  I recently put new Pirelli's on my Mercedes after 34,000+ miles.  I had some limited experience in the snow with the Pirelli's in Cincinnati over the holidays and they performed fine.  I'd be a happy camper if I never had to drive in snow again.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, singinalot said:

We love it here! the weather has been incredible this past week and I spent an hour on Saturday by myself at the beach, reading a book, listening to the waves.

5 hours ago, singinalot said:

photo from my sit at the beach

46A96A88-46FA-4358-8DED-88ACDFADC836.thumb.jpeg.e6d885aa4b4f290778dbd982ac99f525.jpeg

Sounds and looks like heaven.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, h20skibum said:

I am looking for a little info from our friends here, on tires.  On both of our SUVs, I have been running Michelin Latitude Tours, and they have given me good mileage, ride, and performance in the snow.  However, Michelin discontinued these and replaced them with Tour HPs, which do not appear to be as good.

So now I am researching new tires for our Highlander. I have looked at a couple from Goodyear that rate high.  I have been looking at Goodyear Assurance Comfortdrive and the Goodyear CC2.  Both appear to rate pretty high.  The only thing that concerns me is the CC2 has a directional tread, so rotations could only be front to back on the same side of the vehicle.

Anyone have any experience with either of these?  If so, how are they for ride quality, quietness, and performance in snow?  Or, has anyone used other tires that they would recommend.

If you really want to fall deep into a rabbit hole, tear your hair out and over-analyze everything, head over to TireRack dot com & read some of the professional and user reviews. You'll learn more about tire technology, different rubber compounds and tread patterns that you'll ever care to know.

As I have the "twin" cousin of your Highlander, I replaced the Goodyear tires (don't remember which model) that it came with after only 29,000 miles. My mechanic recommended Cooper Discover SRX tires for a couple of reasons: price, made in USA by and American company and it's just as good as Continental, Michelin, etc. 

Now, I've owned others cars that had Continental & Michelin tires and I wouldn't say Cooper is "just as good", but for the price, it's pretty close to sway me. It does most things well. Quiet, comfortable, good rain/snow traction. The only real complaint is that despite the 65,000 tread life warranty, they are looking pretty worn at 45,000 miles and hopefully  I can get another 5K miles out of them before my next inspection.  Also, they make a lot more tire noise as they've worn down but I think that's true for most tires. Micheline is still the "gold standard" for me but it does come with a hefty price (generally speaking).

TireRack gives the Coopers a 8.4 out of 10 rating while the Goodyear Assurance ComfortDrive is 8.8 out of 10.  It gives a full breakdown of the ratings.

BTW, TireRack is still showing Micheline Latitude Tour HP (7.5 out of 10) as still available.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Lionesss said:

@singinalot

Beautiful picture.

I was only gone for a weekend and had many many pages to catch up on.

Football Playoffs..............................False hope.

Being married to a Dolphin die hard every year over and over we go through the excitement phase of what could be another Super Bowl win.....................................not.

By them making the playoffs we are now working our Sunday events around the game.

Well, honestly, it should be over with after this weekend.

Love my husband, 

Kinda like the Dolphins (Came with Marriage)

Gonna love Sunday after the game

Take care

Too those who have talented winning teams in the playoffs.........Best of luck, and hope your team wins.

Ready for Spring

Soon

The son of one of my childhood friends was the QB for the Dolphins from 2000-2004.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Speaking of football, Brian is beside himself over tonight's college football championship game. His alma mater TCU probably won't win, but it's pretty amazing that they made it to this point at all. I'll be cheering along even though I went to Baylor. 😄

My HS and the colleges I attended did not have football teams.

23 hours ago, Coralc said:

Thanks for asking. We're having great fun here. (Not) IT"S WET. Localized flooding, mudslides and trees down. We've been fine, and actually sat in the backyard with a neighbor for a couple of hours this afternoon. But the forecast looks like more miserable and dangerous. There has been local damage, but the house races haven't started yet. We are in the hills, and not close to creeks, so as long as we can keep power and the sump pump running, it should be okay. I only have small, well pruned trees in my yard. I am keeping an eye on a neighbor's uphill pine tree. 

Weather outlook.png

It's been absolutely waterlogged around here.  I've pulled my old portable dehumidifiers out of storage and have set them up around the house.  We've got flooding out at the back of the property well away fro the house.  There is no worry it could ever reach the house though, the back of the property is substantially lower.  

image.png.e04b2ef95095826ed969a6af4e844dac.png

I have been telling everyone I feel like I'm back living in Vancouver.  I have never seen this much rain since moving here.  We've got 10 more days of rain on the horizon...

1505330489_ScreenShot2023-01-09at5_42_02PM.thumb.png.aa3cf61d1912a2d1b4cf5766477804fa.png

They've opened the Millerton Lake resevoir yesterday and dumped 12,200 AF of water into the waterways that will flow strait out into the ocean.   All the homeless folks living in the dried up canal had to make for higher ground.

I can't wait for the summertime when they tell us we don't have enough water to irrigate farmland.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I don't have experience with either of those tires.  I can tell you that I've got Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires on my Mercedes SUV and Micheline has Goodyear Eagle F1 tires on her Range Rover.  Both sets came with the car and we haven't had any problems with either.  Both provide a good ride and good performance.  I recently put new Pirelli's on my Mercedes after 34,000+ miles.  I had some limited experience in the snow with the Pirelli's in Cincinnati over the holidays and they performed fine.  I'd be a happy camper if I never had to drive in snow again.

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

So would I. 😕

The only time I want to drive in snow is when I'm driving to the ski hill.  Otherwise, I'm done driving in the snow for the rest of my life!

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Good grief...watching tonight's Below Deck was giving me anxieties!🤨

That ending fight with guests nearby was over the top. We will see what Sandy does with that. 

I also think it odd that Sandy approved of that beach for a picnic. It is fortunate for the crew that she was involved with picking it. Now she can't blame them if the  guests complain about it. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Move south Doc 🙂

I can't believe how many people they have shown with their cars stranded in floodwater.....And they just drove right into it. 🙄 No one here knows how-to drive-in snow, or rain or floods. And you are correct, they will probably still complain about not enough water next summer. Or it will start again in 2024. 

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

That ending fight with guests nearby was over the top. We will see what Sandy does with that. 

I also think it odd that Sandy approved of that beach for a picnic. It is fortunate for the crew that she was involved with picking it. Now she can't blame them if the  guests complain about it. 

Curious to see how that does play out...🤔

• Like 1

So, we have been traveling 3 different trips inside a month, and Covid/Flu for a week…. During that time watched some below decks on Bravo, no context, just watching them as they appear during the times we are sitting in a bed watching tv…….  I thought they are currently watching a version of the show in the South Pacific which I have not seen.  I was thinking captain Sandy took over for the captain, I see mostly when I happen upon BD when he had a bad leg.  Is that the current show and not a show from the SP????  Anyway, the chef hates picnics, so why don’t they cater it let the locals wherever they go do it.  They would probably save money, and have a better experience.????

I know they paid for the cruise and expect the over the top experience.  Our country club does an annual Farm to Table event 3 nights in a row, that is extremely hard to get into.  2 nights before our reservation the chef said she couldn’t accomodate my wife’s Alpha Gal allergy?  I was like, just throw a piece of salmon on the grill, and she will be fine.  So, instead of them making $300 for dinner they ended up with at least two empty seats.  I found out when we went to Chapel Hill to watch a couple of basketball games that they fired the chef over Xmas.  She used to be the personal chef for INXS back in the day….  I hate to see her go, at her best she was really awesome, day to day she was lazy and terrible.  I can only imagine what it is like to find chefs to do a show like BD.  

I am way behind on this forum, as I haven’t posted for over a week.  Work is horrible right now.  I am getting really close to saying Eff it and getting on with retirement.  

JC

• Like 11

8 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Speaking of football, Brian is beside himself over tonight's college football championship game. His alma mater TCU probably won't win, but it's pretty amazing that they made it to this point at all. I'll be cheering along even though I went to Baylor. 😄

Is TCU playing tonight?😉

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Coralc said:

I can't believe how many people they have shown with their cars stranded in floodwater.....And they just drove right into it. 🙄 No one here knows how-to drive-in snow, or rain or floods. And you are correct, they will probably still complain about not enough water next summer. Or it will start again in 2024. 

We have the same issue with people driving through floodwaters- then the SES have to put their lives at risk to rescue them from their cars.  So many people ignore warnings and don’t use their common sense…

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 1/6/2023 at 6:11 PM, Ozark_Kid said:

I am really looking forward to growing these. With them growing on top of the soil,  it should add some nice color.  When you ate them raw did you eat them like coleslaw or mix them into a salad or just eat them like biting into an apple.

Like an apple. I’m sure they cooked them in different ways when we ate over there but I don’t remember. I stayed a week with them when mom was in the hospital so I’m sure I ate them cooked in other ways. Raw is my favorite.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1