Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

This weekend we spent all our time at our local ball diamond. It was Owen’s year end tournament.  They were ranked 2nd in standings for the season, and after 5 games this weekend they lost in the finals to the top placed team.  

The division is 16U, but the team that won is made up of 15U AAA players.  They have to play up an age bracket.  They practice 3 times a week all year, play no other sports, and pay $5k each to play on that team on top of tournament fees, travel costs etc.  To give you an idea, they have 2 players for every position and some pitchers that only pitch. The rumour is they have a total of 10 that can pitch, from the field as well as the players that only pitch.  On a side note, they also have 3 full uniforms, and a group of coaches IMO do not sound like nice coaches. 

All of that said Owen’s team lost 8-4.  The opponent, prior to this game, only had 2 runs scored against them this weekend over 3 games. Not a bad performance for Owen’s team, a C centre team with 13 players available this weekend. One is recovering from a broken finger. A great challenge game before provincials coming up on Labor Day weekend. 

No medals this year, they gave away hats. A nice change. 

IMG_9410.thumb.jpeg.32ca2d2edd9d3dbb77dba59a1f146b17.jpeg

After get got home Owen flaked out. 

• Like 19

5 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

This weekend we spent all our time at our local ball diamond. It was Owen’s year end tournament.  They were ranked 2nd in standings for the season, and after 5 games this weekend they lost in the finals to the top placed team.  

The division is 16U, but the team that won is made up of 15U AAA players.  They have to play up an age bracket.  They practice 3 times a week all year, play no other sports, and pay $5k each to play on that team on top of tournament fees, travel costs etc.  To give you an idea, they have 2 players for every position and some pitchers that only pitch. The rumour is they have a total of 10 that can pitch, from the field as well as the players that only pitch.  On a side note, they also have 3 full uniforms, and a group of coaches IMO do not sound like nice coaches. 

All of that said Owen’s team lost 8-4.  The opponent, prior to this game, only had 2 runs scored against them this weekend over 3 games. Not a bad performance for Owen’s team, a C centre team with 13 players available this weekend. One is recovering from a broken finger. A great challenge game before provincials coming up on Labor Day weekend. 

That is so wrong on so many levels. My guess is that most of those kids will get burned out and never play high school baseball.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

The division is 16U, but the team that won is made up of 15U AAA players.  They have to play up an age bracket.  They practice 3 times a week all year, play no other sports, and pay $5k each to play on that team on top of tournament fees, travel costs etc.

Just my $.02....the specialization of sports for kids is horrible. 

Edited by Husky1987
ETA...Greg beat me to it!
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:
19 hours ago, Arzeena said:

I can't tell you how many patients have come into the office scared out of their minds, needlessly, because they had access to results, even before I've seen them, and had no idea how to properly interpret what they are seeing. Sometime I need some time to digest results and figure out how I want to present the information. 

Last week I had bloodwork done at a lab.  They sent me the results the next day.  There were 44 listed test results.  Some had green boxes next to them…some red.  An extremely brief explanation was listed by each.  I’m a healthy, intelligent senior.  I got a new physician when we moved and she had bloodwork done in February to get a picture of my health…last week’s tests were the six month followup.

I have no idea whether the results are dire, normal for my age or fixable.  And I’m not going to Google 44 different tests.  I’ll wait for my physician to explain it to me.  Certainly, if something is amiss I’ll do some research then myself.

But I understand other’s points of view.

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

23 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

That is so wrong on so many levels. My guess is that most of those kids will get burned out and never play high school baseball.

21 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

Just my $.02....the specialization of sports for kids is horrible. 

Doesn't apply to everyone though. Once in awhile a guy comes along that is special. This was an article written back in 2009.

I'm thinking this guy did the right thing. Don't you think?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/236037-truth-is-bryce-harpers-path-to-the-major-leagues-is-a-troubling-one

10 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Last week I had bloodwork done at a lab.  They sent me the results the next day.  There were 44 listed test results.  Some had green boxes next to them…some red.  An extremely brief explanation was listed by each.  I’m a healthy, intelligent senior.  I got a new physician when we moved and she had bloodwork done in February to get a picture of my health…last week’s tests were the six month followup.

I have no idea whether the results are dire, normal for my age or fixable.  And I’m not going to Google 44 different tests.  I’ll wait for my physician to explain it to me.  Certainly, if something is amiss I’ll do some research then myself.

But I understand other’s points of view.

Getting results before they are interpreted by someone can definitely lead to unnecessary concern.  My DH gets bloodwork done frequently and he sees the results fairly quickly through push notifications from his portal.  Many times it is before his physician can add a note to chart.  We try to wait before we consult Doctor Google. 🙂 

As far as other points of view, I totally respect how @Ocean Boy deals with all the medical discussion on this thread and does not try to "treat" all the ailments in this thread.  No one knows the complete medical history of anyone posting and it is dangerous to make recommendations without all the facts.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Doesn't apply to everyone though. Once in awhile a guy comes along that is special. This was an article written back in 2009.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/236037-truth-is-bryce-harpers-path-to-the-major-leagues-is-a-troubling-one

Just now, Sea Dog said:

He is probably in the 1%. Let kids just play and have fun. The special ones will rise anyway/

Yep, this.  Bryce Harper would have been an incredible baseball player even if he played basketball and soccer as well growing up.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I agree.  Like everything else we discuss here, things aren't black and white and there's no one size fits all answer.  Teams like the one that Owen played can be bad for the kids when it's the parent's idea rather than the kid's, which is probably too often the case.  It's also not good for the kid if they aren't mature enough to handle the "serious" approach taken by the coaching staff (which IS more in line with what they'll see at higher levels).  If the kid though has a true passion for a specific sport (like my daughter did with competitive dance) and it's their decision, I'd want to support it as a parent.  It's unfortunate that Owen's team had to face them in the finals, but it sounds like they did very well and should be proud of themselves.

Edit: I'm referring to 15 year olds.  I agree that something like this isn't good for younger kids.

Edited by bobmacliberty
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, brillohead said:

If you have to take them again in the future, PLEASE check with your pharmacist and physician about your options... most of the potassium pills I see prescribed are "extended release" pills, which should NOT be cut in half or chewed.  

I had a patient the other day who couldn't swallow the football-sized tablets, and I called our pharmacist who was able to switch it to capsules that I could open and sprinkle the powder onto spoonfuls of applesauce. It took twice as many capsules as it did tablets to achieve the same dose, and the patient was stuffed full of applesauce by the time we got through them all, but she was at least able to get it all down the hatch.

I have a swallowing disorder, and when I was pregnant with my son, my midwife was able to prescribe a prenatal vitamin that came in two smaller pills that I could take one at a time instead of a single horsepill that I would struggle with. 

Pharmacists are an incredible resource, but I find that many people see them just as "pill counters / dispensers" and don't realize how extensive their knowledge is about all things pharmacological.  

My potassium numbers got up to normal after taking those horse pills so I'm sure I didn't do anything negative.  Next time I have to take them (shudder) I'll be sure to ask.  I hope there's an alternative because there is no way I can swallow those pills whole.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

There definitely are talented athletes that you know are something at very young age.  My son went to a Parochial school that had a basketball program starting in sixth grade.  When he was in eighth grade, playing on the varsity team, they played a team with a sixth grader who was taller than all for his age and dominated the entire game.  He ended up at the same Prep School for HS as my son and was playing QB in football, basketball, and was an amazing pitcher.  By next year, he was not playing football so he wouldn't get injured and was being scouted for both basketball and baseball.  He went to Notre Dame, starting immediately after graduating, taking classes all summer so he would be ahead of the game.  Got drafted in 2014 in the MLB draft and 2015 in the NBA draft.  He played a little baseball but decided on basketball.  He is currently with the Milwaukee Bucks.  

There was another talented baseball player on the same HS team.  He grew up in baseball with a grandfather who is in the Hall of Fame.  He is now playing for the SF Giants.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, brillohead said:

We like "alert" a lot more than "lethargic" or "comatose"! 

I had a chuckle this week when switching from Emergency to Acute Care (inpatient).  The computer program is the same in both departments, but the screens we have for charting and the options available on those screens are different.  

We have checkboxes for things like anxious, cooperative, impulsive, restless, angry, etc.  On the inpatient side of things, "pleasant" is an option to select, but it wasn't even listed on the same screen for the emergency department -- I guess they don't expect anyone to be pleasant in the ER!  LOL

I once read a doctor's notes about an office visit and was happy to read that he used the word "pleasant" to in part describe me.

10 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We go at least once a year with the grands.  They love it! 

I used to drive by there everyday on my way to work.  Traffic in Dallas is ….I’m so glad my commute is done. I’d be stressed out every day before I even got to work.  I got hit by a dump truck once on my way in. He just came right over into my lane on a rainy dark morning.  The initial damage wasn’t too bad but it could never be fixed right and I had to trade the car in.  It was a computer issue that even the Toyota engineers couldn’t figure out and fix. New car got rear ended twice on the way home from work.  I was always just shook up, no injuries so very fortunate.  

I'm glad you're done with that commute too!

4 hours ago, sgmn said:

So after feeling a bit rough yesterday, I checked with a covid tests today and yeap, I'm positive 😷 feel tired and like I have a bad cold.

We went out with good friends on the boat on Saturday so I'm worried now I may of passed it onto them. 

Gary is OK at mo.

Sue, I am sorry to read this and hope your symptoms are mild.

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

Owen is a winner even if his team lost.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

There definitely are talented athletes that you know are something at very young age.  My son went to a Parochial school that had a basketball program starting in sixth grade.  When he was in eighth grade, playing on the varsity team, they played a team with a sixth grader who was taller than all for his age and dominated the entire game.  He ended up at the same Prep School for HS as my son and was playing QB in football, basketball, and was an amazing pitcher.  By next year, he was not playing football so he wouldn't get injured and was being scouted for both basketball and baseball.  He went to Notre Dame, starting immediately after graduating, taking classes all summer so he would be ahead of the game.  Got drafted in 2014 in the MLB draft and 2015 in the NBA draft.  He played a little baseball but decided on basketball.  He is currently with the Milwaukee Bucks.  

There was another talented baseball player on the same HS team.  He grew up in baseball with a grandfather who is in the Hall of Fame.  He is now playing for the SF Giants.

Cool!

4 hours ago, sgmn said:

So after feeling a bit rough yesterday, I checked with a covid tests today and yeap, I'm positive 😷 feel tired and like I have a bad cold.

We went out with good friends on the boat on Saturday so I'm worried now I may of passed it onto them. 

Gary is OK at mo.

Sorry to hear that.Hopefully you will recover soon.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CrzLvr2 said:

Wow!! What a beautiful shawl with such an intricate design! You are very talented!!  

+1  @Keksie  Absolutely gorgeous!

8 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning from the beach.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

Good wishes to you all for a lovely day.

IMG_20230821_075407.jpg

I wish you and Pauline a lovely day as well, Graham!!

4 hours ago, sgmn said:

Gary is OK at mo.

Feel better, Sue.   Have you had covid once before?  Jim and I each have had it once each.  I sure hope it stays that way!🤞  

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

OMG, they are sooo precious❣️. How young is Kenzie?

Kenzie is turning 3 next month.   

She still has that same reaction when a younger child comes around.   She runs to them and makes sure they are doing well.

Finnley's walking is so much better now.  Yesterday her cousins walked into the other room and she walked right behind.   Last month she was lucky to take 3 or 4 steps on her own.

• Like 10

51 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Is that San Francisco Giant player.... Mike Yastrzemski  ?

and the Buck player would be Pat Connaughton ? 

He has quite a Bio. A very good athlete.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Connaughton#High_school_career

Edited by Jimbo

5 hours ago, sgmn said:

Sounds fabulous. My gym has a club within a club for over '60s, called The Invincibles. They have additional low impact classes just for them and meet up for theatre trips and outings. They also organise holidays away. 

They are very lively bunch, full of fun.  Apparently once you hit 90 the gym is free !!

My wife and I belonged to a gym that was similiar .Many of the regulars were in their 90’s and in good health.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Wow, I have a lot of catching up to do.  I can’t believe how many pages there are from yesterday.

@Sea Dog Greg, sorry to read about your episode, but glad you got checked out.

I can’t believe how many here are on blood pressure meds, with talks about highs and lows.  I had to start a couple meds last spring, but had to go off one due to side effects.  I don’t have another appointment with my cardiologist until the end of October, so maybe I am being a little crazy in taking and recording blood pressure readings a couple times a day.  Yes, I have spreadsheets that have the time of day of the readings, along with pulse rate,  I can tell you what the highs and lows were for each month, as well as the averages.  I know the doctor will take one look at all the data, and will probably throw it away.

I guess I don’t know why bp fluctuates so much, so that will be one of my questions at my appointment. 

My BP tends to fluctuate .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Love the name The Invincibles.  If you can still go to the gym regularly at 90, I think you should be rewarded.

My dear friend Lois will be 92 this November.  She exercises in her pool, plays bocci, and drinks her wine at 4:00 daily.  She is my role model!😊

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

I once read a doctor's notes about an office visit and was happy to read that he used the word "pleasant" to in part describe me.

I usually get described as jokester. I like to keep a good vibe going. 

My SIL warned the PTs that I like to joke around. 

Example, at PT last week I tried this one.

Knock Knock

Whose there?

HIPAA

HIPAA who?

At this point I looked around then whispered......

Sorry..... I can't tell you. 

Edited by Ozark_Kid
  • Like 2
  • Haha 11