Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

25 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

If I had too pick, this would be my selection.  Hauls 4 cars as well. 

BE76A0F8-F144-4516-B2B8-25AF92926611.thumb.jpeg.fbabbcc109a14883c8413ce4796c061a.jpeg

There was one very similar to that at Mosport a couple years back for the Canadian Karting Championships.  It was for two 11 year olds and their team of support staff.  They were there for a couple weeks and took part in the club races the week before.  They had an air conditioned tent that extended out from the large trailer on the back that was as wide as the trailer is long. Sweet way to travel the Karting circuit for the kids.  Parents flew in for the race.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Ocean Boy said:

Andrew has a vast assortment of machinery that would be fun to play with.

Some of his equipment would scare the bejeeze out of me.  My brother owned a trucking company, and many of my cousins are farmers.  I admire their skills, and toys, but they are definitely not for me.  Now, in one of my brother’s warehouses, there are over 25 vintage Corvettes that are just sitting there, as my nephew and SIL are kind of stuck figuring out what to do with them.  That is the downside of being a baby boomer.  What to do with all of our preciously acquired treasure?  Not that it is a horrible tragedy and definitely a first world problem, but still.... they say you can’t take it with you, and they might be right.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Some of his equipment would scare the bejeeze out of me.  My brother owned a trucking company, and many of my cousins are farmers.  I admire their skills, and toys, but they are definitely not for me.  Now, in one of my brother’s warehouses, there are over 25 vintage Corvettes that are just sitting there, as my nephew and SIL are kind of stuck figuring out what to do with them.  That is the downside of being a baby boomer.  What to do with all of our preciously acquired treasure?  Not that it is a horrible tragedy and definitely a first world problem, but still.... they say you can’t take it with you, and they might be right.

As you may remember, I tried pretty hard to get adopted into your family. I could help with figuring out solutions to many of these issues.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ownedbypets said:

Thanks! Your remodel is beautiful too! I wish we were able to do it ourselves.We learned through the years of watching our friends do their own remodels that they have the option to change things as they go. Very jealous of someone that can do it themselves.

Ahh...but it's easier to do smaller bathrooms by yourself.  Yours was a large job I wouldn't want to take on!  Indeed yours came out beautiful...even if it was contracted out.  🙂

One of the biggest reasons we try to do most remodel projects ourselves is Bucky the perfectionist.  OMG...he picks everything apart when someone else does the work.  And sadly he is right on most of it, as they say "You just can't get good help these days".  And I think it has gotten worse with so many people remodeling, versus traveling.  So many reasons materials are being held up, and taking so long to get to us.  

But you are right, we do have more options when we do it ourselves.  Plus a great sense of accomplishment...but mostly...so I don't have to hear Bucky complain!!  Uggh! 😳

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I've looked at airstreams and like the quality.  To me though, while the build quality is nice, you lose so much floor space when you compare them to a typical full timer type 5th wheels.  Not that you have to live full time in one but any extended period of time I think would get a little claustrophobic in any of the airstreams I have seen.  If I planned spending time in extreme weather I'd consider it otherwise I think you are overpaying for what you get.   I'd do over what we have done.  Ours is a 43 foot Heartland Big Country 5th wheel.  We've got just under 500 sq ft of living space and you honestly don't feel like you are camping.  You need a big truck but I like big trucks. 🙂 

The only reason we did not opt for a 5th wheel or trailer...was that truck.  Especially with a 5th wheel.  When we park our A class motor home for weeks or sometimes months at a time...our "toad" (as they call a towed vehicle in RV slang)...is Bucky's little rag top Jeep with the kayak racks on it. 

We take the windows out and have a fun little vehicle to pop around in.  If we had a monster truck...that is what we would have to use for all little trips to grocery store, taking the kayaks, going up to a B&B side trip, exploring the country side..etc.  Would rather have the fun little Jeep.   

But...that is all a matter of personal taste.  😉 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

If I had too pick, this would be my selection.  Hauls 4 cars as well. 

BE76A0F8-F144-4516-B2B8-25AF92926611.thumb.jpeg.fbabbcc109a14883c8413ce4796c061a.jpeg

LOL...so much for state and national park sites!  😉  

Big boy toy!!  😄   We have seen many of those...and indeed, like this one, you have to really plan your trip well.  Thing does not fit in just any gas station.  😮 

• Like 1

Speaking of drones, we just got back from a few days in a condo on the beach at Amelia.  The first day we’re having a drink on the balcony...and I suddenly see a drone at eye level a few feet off our balcony.  I look around but don’t see any likely operators.  As we weren’t doing anything video worthy I just smiled and waved.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Speaking of drones, we just got back from a few days in a condo on the beach at Amelia.  The first day we’re having a drink on the balcony...and I suddenly see a drone at eye level a few feet off our balcony.  I look around but don’t see any likely operators.  As we weren’t doing anything video worthy I just smiled and waved.

Had that happen to us on a ship's visit to San Juan.  (port visit, not embark).   Was standing in the cabin talking to the DH, when I saw this drone hovering just outside our balcony (totally illegal to be that close to a cruise ship).  

We walked out to the balcony grabbing our pair of binoculars.  Operator must have freaked, and quickly pulled the drone in, where we could see the young man on the roof of a parking garage.  He was very anxious to grab the drone and toss it in the trunk of his car, making a fast getaway.  Guess we scared him pretty good.  😉 

Idiot peeping Tom.  😠

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

Don’t get me wrong a big 5th wheel is the bomb for comfort and reasonable ability to get around when you get where you are going, but to visit our National Parks the one I am looking at is about as big as you can go and be able to park it in a lot of the camper spots that were built before WWII.  We have done a lot of tent camping over the years and while the airstream would not be nearly as homey as your rig, I think it will work for us.  I am a baby boomer and over paying is our thing.  IE we book suites, we drive nice trucks, we drive expensive cars, we drink expensive wine, we don’t drink New Amsterdam Vodka (actually we do a lot but we complain afterwards), we eat prime meat, and we build big houses and stuff them full of stuff.  

I have pulled my brother’s 5th wheel, I have driven a class A, and towed a smaller sized trailer.  The only one I can see doing without a ton of stress is the small trailer.  

I am going to emulate a millennial in my retirement and try to survive with the minimal amount of stuff.

I will probably sell it in a year! 😉

A national park might be a challenge to get my fiver into.  An airstream would be very nice in that circumstance.  The ones I've looked at will probably survive the apocalypse.  A few cases of beef jerky and a water filtration system and you'll be ready for doomsday.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, island lady said:

The only reason we did not opt for a 5th wheel or trailer...was that truck.  Especially with a 5th wheel.  When we park our A class motor home for weeks or sometimes months at a time...our "toad" (as they call a towed vehicle in RV slang)...is Bucky's little rag top Jeep with the kayak racks on it. 

We take the windows out and have a fun little vehicle to pop around in.  If we had a monster truck...that is what we would have to use for all little trips to grocery store, taking the kayaks, going up to a B&B side trip, exploring the country side..etc.  Would rather have the fun little Jeep.   

But...that is all a matter of personal taste.  😉 

Having a toad is nice.  We overcome that problem by having my wife follow in her car.  We don't do that if we are heading east any distance but in any of the western states it is a nice convenience.  I can park the truck and DW doesn't have drive a dually to Walmart to pick up cream.  

She used to have a little Subaru Forester that she loved but during our sojourn back in Canada we finally sold that.  I found a gorgeous 2018 BMW 540d but DW wanted good fuel economy.  I tried to explain that if you kept your foot out of it the diesel BMW would meet that criteria. We bought a new Ford Fusion Hybrid.  California gas prices and all... 😞 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Having a toad is nice.  We overcome that problem by having my wife follow in her car.  We don't do that if we are heading east any distance but in any of the western states it is a nice convenience.  I can park the truck and DW doesn't have drive a dually to Walmart to pick up cream.  

She used to have a little Subaru Forester that she loved but during our sojourn back in Canada we finally sold that.  I found a gorgeous 2018 BMW 540d but DW wanted good fuel economy.  I tried to explain that if you kept your foot out of it the diesel BMW would meet that criteria. We bought a new Ford Fusion Hybrid.  California gas prices and all... 😞 

Yikes.  The 5th wheel, the big dually truck, and the car as well?  You must have to really take time to pick and choose your camp site.  😮 

1 minute ago, island lady said:

Yikes.  The 5th wheel, the big dually truck, and the car as well?  You must have to really take time to pick and choose your camp site.  😮 

Most places have additional parking for a second vehicle.  They'll charge a couple dollars for it but it usually isn't too much.

55 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

A national park might be a challenge to get my fiver into.  An airstream would be very nice in that circumstance.  The ones I've looked at will probably survive the apocalypse.  A few cases of beef jerky and a water filtration system and you'll be ready for doomsday.

I am not tough enough to be a good survivalist.  

I want to use my Gladiator for the TV which has a 7000# tow rating which limits me to a 23foot TT max.  If I go with a 23 footer, about as small as I think will work for us high maintenance boomers... I am going to have to limit what we put in the truck.  I am already planning on taking the back seats out when the time comes, my understanding is that saves 100 pounds.  The TT I am looking at has a 430# hitch weight which means the slightly less than 1200 payload limit on my truck is down to about 700# which would include me and the wife, which is a bit over 300#.  So, 400# left over for stuff in the truck.  Going to need a couple of 2000 generators to fire up the AC when it is hot, and a couple of small propane tanks for that, so down to about 300 pounds for other stuff in the truck.  I should buy a honking big truck, but that would make me sad.

jc

45 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I’m getting Ribs ready to try SousVide. I’m documenting pictures for later. 

This is something @xpcdoojk mentioned and said were good. 

Still you are overlooking the important part of my post to you.  Let me know when you get around to your driveway!😝

5 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

Of course, when I cruise, I will be asking to park my trailer in your driveway.  

I know you can’t wait to feed me some of the Green Egg Sous Vide offerings.  On the upside my wife is very friendly and charming. 😉

jc

Try to read that first sentence.  Or you could just be like John, and offer to pick me up when I arrived in PC, only to back out saying he was busy remodeling.  🤣

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

I don’t know how you drive that!  I’m sure it’s fabulous inside though.

It's nice.  Sometimes I think my cat likes it better than the house.  It's kind of weird... he seems more content. Inside it has all the comforts of home. I like having a washer and dryer.  Laundromats are for suckers.  

I don't recommend driving it if you have no trailer towing experience.  Even with some experience you want to be careful until you get used to the off-track.  It feels even longer when you are looking at it through your side view mirror.  This is our forth one.  The first as a 28 footer with a single slide. The second was a 35 footer with 3 slides and after that we were 38 foot with 4 slides.  This one is 43 feet and has 4 slides.  I told my wife while we were shopping for it that I was determined that we get a little lighter.  We ended up 1000#'s  heavier.  LOL I never seem to win any argument.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1