Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

16 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I'm sure they have some stories of bad storms and rough seas too!

Gone with the Wynns did one video on riding out cyclones and another on the entire day that it takes to replenish supplies.  The constant maintenance/repair of things that are constantly moving and being exposed to salt air means that you also need to be a jack of all trades.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

We're a little different than most folks, for us it isn't a vacation home it is a work home. That being said, dragging my wife all over hell's half acre, I do my best to make every stopping place a destination to remember. We have been blessed to have been able to visit and see so many unique and interesting places. My wife bought a small globe and had the words  "you have to enjoy the journey..."  inscribed on it.  It's a line from a Warren Miller film I loved entitled "Journey" and it is the motto we live our lives by.

I have a gypsy heart, so for me it is all great.  My wife knew what she was marrying when she said "I do" but neither her nor I knew just how nomadic our lives would eventually become. After a year away from our daughter and family we were only with them for 2 weeks and then off we left again. It'll be 2 months this trip.  I offered her the opportunity to stay back but she decided to come.  She knows there are days that I need her.  She's not only my wife, she's the best friend I could have ever dreamed I'd have.

I'm going to be working all day Saturday and Sunday so I tried to make it up to her yesterday afternoon.  We drove out to the desert about a half hour short of Palm Springs and just north of a town called Banning and went for a hike. It had some beautiful scenery.  I'm going to take Monday off too.  I don't know where we'll go or what we'll do but I'm going to "Enjoy the journey" 

IMG_0091.jpeg

IMG_0092.jpeg

When I was young Warren Miller came to my high school (we have a local ski area) to show his films.  Later when they were on TV I tried to see them when I could. Love his sense of humor.

Edited by mo&fran

5 minutes ago, singinalot said:

Had to get out of the house today so that the appraisal could finish up. I took Sam to this backroad trail I had come across a couple of weeks ago and it turns out it’s actually a 17 mile trail 🤣 that follows the old Atchison Topeka Railroad and runs down to the US Air Force Academy

https://www.traillink.com/trail/new-santa-fe-regional-trail/

I also tried the dronie feature on the Mavic Mini 2 for the first time 

IMG_3058.MOV 72.68 MB · 0 downloads

D6E67647-1F1F-473F-9993-2E35C2D4DF3F.jpeg

F2D924D4-9DDE-4037-9F77-75D1F31A12DF.jpeg

6D6E9682-A551-4C34-981D-C831B7F75189.jpeg

6C810625-EF1E-4497-9469-591AD0A4F43C.jpeg

4A69045F-CE91-4688-918E-FB2346EA236C.jpeg

F775E57D-63B9-45A7-B594-50069DC7DBA6.jpeg

CA0D21C4-12C6-4AA2-9406-D1EC990FDC03.jpeg

EA0397D7-63B4-4D06-A3EC-5DB49920C222.jpeg

7B86B64C-1213-44D8-887E-BCE0D00F4EB8.jpeg

Did you ever get back the appraisal on your home for sale? 

Sorry, I havent been keeping up.

Though I do resemble treeskier...except I always said I have wandering feet. I wanted to travel. 

2 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

@Tree_skierAre you familiar with the composition called The Station, by Robert Hastings? I think you’d enjoy it.

That was beautiful, thank you sharing that.  I loved this sentence and have copied it into my journal.  

"It isn’t the burdens of today that drive men mad. Rather, it is regret over yesterday or fear of tomorrow. Regret and fear are twin thieves who would rob us of today."

Words to live by.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mo&fran said:

When I was young Warren Miller came to my high school (we have a local ski area) to show his films.  Later when they were on TV I tried to see them when I could. Love his sense of humor.

I would have loved to meet him.  His ability to capture the essence of snow sliding culture is unmatched by any other documentarian.  Skiing has been my lifetime passion, Warren Miller has provided a lifetime of fuel.

Edited by Tree_skier

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Gypsy heart speaks to me also, but only to a certain extent.  I've been watching Gone with the Wynns on YouTube (Crystal's reco, I think??).  We had neighbors in Cincinnati who did something similar for a couple of years.  Sold everything and bought a 40 something foot catamaran in Turkey.  Sailed the Mediterranean, crossed the Atlantic, and sailed the Caribbean for 2 years with 3 kids under 11 and a dog.  It was an incredible experience for them, especially the kids (who were home schooled by their mother, a former teacher).  The romantic aspect of sailing the world is strong, but the day to day sacrifices are equally strong.  I like my creature comforts.

Bucky spent two years living on a small sailboat, cruising around the Carib.  Was to shake off the lingering effects of Vietnam.  Worked well to clean his mind and soul.  🙂 

Me, at about that same age with my first husband, traveled the country for a year and a half in our 1/2 ton pickup truck towing a 24 trailer, with our cat.  😉 Spent 6 months of it in Northern California where I worked in the banking business, and discovered my new love of wine appreciation.  🤗🍷

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, singinalot said:

Had to get out of the house today so that the appraisal could finish up. I took Sam to this backroad trail I had come across a couple of weeks ago and it turns out it’s actually a 17 mile trail 🤣 that follows the old Atchison Topeka Railroad and runs down to the US Air Force Academy

https://www.traillink.com/trail/new-santa-fe-regional-trail/

I also tried the dronie feature on the Mavic Mini 2 for the first time

I bought a drone a couple of years ago and just haven't learned how to use it.  It has sat in the box for the last year and a half. I need to get practicing.  All I did was zip around wildly and then crash.  I need spend the time learning.  The one I have is probably not very good. I got it at a Brookstone in OKC on sale for about $100.

4 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I would have loved to meet him.  His ability to capture the essence of snow sliding culture is unmatched by any other documentarian.  Skiing has been my lifetime passion, Warren Miller has provided a lifetime of fuel.

He was cutting edge of his craft. My dad was on the local ski patrol, and he had me skiing at a young age, which is how we attended the show at our small high school. I imagine the year was 1958-59.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tree_skier said:

Great place to fall in love with wine 🙂 

Indeed it was.  🥰   A couple of days ago, now that we are feeling more adventurous after getting our second vaccine shots a month ago, I booked a two week trip out to the Dry Creek Valley and Mendocino/Alexander Valley areas for one week each starting the end of next month. 

Then in November, just after we get back from Maine, we are headed out to Lake Chelan wine area in Eastern Washington state.  Been there many times as well.  A bit remote, but oh so pretty along the lake.  🙂 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Wow, that is heavy.  Was it a Toy Hauler?  Was that the UVW or your gross?

It was all work related, with all equipment in the farm name. Going from memory, our GVW was 20,000KG on our truck. By the time you had 8/9 mature cows, trailer, truck, and driver weight added it would be enough. 

The crazy thing; in Ontario if it was an outfit like yours (personal not work related) I wouldn’t need any extra licence weight fees being in my personal name. No annual inspections or anything. Just the way it is. 

Beautiful, sunny day in Pennsylvania today. Got out for a walk at the lake.  We are seeing more eagles now. 

Trying out the camera on the 12Pro that I just got set up this morning.  I need more practice. 

A23BECE8-17A4-49C7-94E8-C0F11A7E3627.thumb.jpeg.dd7180838c9b43889dbeaf764b668a8c.jpeg

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

It was all work related, with all equipment in the farm name. Going from memory, our GVW was 20,000KG on our truck. By the time you had 8/9 mature cows, trailer, truck, and driver weight added it would be enough. 

The crazy thing; in Ontario if it was an outfit like yours (personal not work related) I wouldn’t need any extra licence weight fees being in my personal name. No annual inspections or anything. Just the way it is. 

BC is the same.  My trailer is registered in KY, that is where my business incorporation is, and there is no special requirements.

I have never been pulled over hauling my trailer but if I ever am I'm sure the state trooper will have a pretty puzzled look on his face.  My trailer is registered in KY, my truck has BC registration and plates and my DL license is from California.  

Now that I no longer own any property in Canada I'm in the process of importing my vehicles into the US and will register them in CA.  I never bothered because it was just a hassle but now I have to.  I'll save on insurance so should have done it years ago.  

If the Trooper asked for any more info like a  telephone number he really would be scratching his head.  I have a Washington state phone number. LOL. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tree_skier said:

BC is the same.  My trailer is registered in KY, that is where my business incorporation is, and there is no special requirements.

I have never been pulled over hauling my trailer but if I ever am I'm sure the state trooper will have a pretty puzzled look on his face.  My trailer is registered in KY, my truck has BC registration and plates and my DL license is from California.  

Now that I no longer own any property in Canada I'm in the process of importing my vehicles into the US and will register them in CA.  I never bothered because it was just a hassle but now I have to.  I'll save on insurance so should have done it years ago.  

If the Trooper asked for any more info like a  telephone number he really would be scratching his head.  I have a Washington state phone number. LOL. 

Time to simplify, and it is coming by the sounds of it. 

We get a bit of that with our farm land in Alberta and the truck there. We are corporately registered in the Alberta to register our truck, even with an insurance slip for Ontario. Since we aren’t residents in AB we can’t have own it personally.  

Now that e-testing is done in Ontario, we can do some paperwork and register the truck here but leave it there all year.  We would just take the annual sticker out, when we need to put it on. It’s a 1993 with under 25,000kms. It’s barely seen snow. 

@Tree_skier this could be your new tow rig. Imagine your camper trailer behind this. The guy in this video is from Alberta and adapts transports into personal haulers.  He removed the rear axle, builds the bed, and it goes from there. You even have a car to drive off and winch back on for end destinations.  Smart car is the perfect fit. They have even made hydraulic lowering beds VS a winch. Check out this YouTube channel. 

For Americans they register them in a specific state to like you.  Just add the “Not for Hire Sticker” to the cab.  Nothing extra needed by the state registration either. Many of the owners just travel all year and have no real home. 

Edited by A&L_Ont

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Indeed it was.  🥰   A couple of days ago, now that we are feeling more adventurous after getting our second vaccine shots a month ago, I booked a two week trip out to the Dry Creek Valley and Mendocino/Alexander Valley areas for one week each starting the end of next month. 

Enjoy your trip!  I hope you have a fabulous time.  We honeymooned in Mendocino- at a place called Heritage House.  It's the place that the movie "Same Time Next Year" with Alan Alda and Ellen Burstyn was filmed.  There were cottages spread out over the property.  One of cottage is named "Same Time" and another one is named  "Next Year".  Many people request those cottages.  But the view of the ocean is magnificent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1