Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

7 hours ago, easyqueasy said:

Do you have CCW permit(s) from any other state? There’s a lot of states that California doesn’t have reciprocity with including the two sandwiched between your state and BC. 

Yes I do,  AZ is good and that covers most of the US that I spend time in.  I'm out of luck in WA and OR. 

Edited by Tree_skier

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

Welcome, Dublin "dweller".... It is a very pleasant city, and we enjoyed our visit pre-cruise very much. The people were so friendly.

We went to Dublin a couple of times for New year's celebrations.

Pauline loved the shops in Grafton Street.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

Dinner for DD’s Birthday today.  Broiled Lobster Tail/Korean Barbecue Ribs/Garlic Crab Noodle/Lobster Bisque 

6F530052-0E5B-40C4-A8EC-4BA9AE7CE291.thumb.jpeg.a642cdf1ad7337c28d9a38bbfafb6fe8.jpegEEC04DA3-61E0-43E6-B1CF-C493C416A125.thumb.jpeg.b815291e142677b32644f8720dd43e0f.jpeg21DF6CCD-1C1F-458E-B07F-7F360714A4E4.thumb.jpeg.dbcf01be9949311e47f333c753ca3d70.jpeg

When was my invite. 😋. Hope your daughter had a great birthday. 

2 hours ago, island lady said:

I know the guy that has this rig!!   He and his wife used to come into Topsail Hill State Park every spring in the Florida Panhandle.  He had to be very, very careful with what site he chose.  Luckily that state park used to be an "A class" RV resort before it was given to the state.  A lot of big sites there.  

That’s amazing how small the world is. 

47 minutes ago, Fitnessworldexplorer said:

Thanks, fortunately it's a good city to be in during lockdown! 

Welcome to the group, and I too enjoyed Dublin when I was there. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Fitnessworldexplorer said:

Thanks, fortunately it's a good city to be in during lockdown! 

We stayed in the Brooks hotel which was close to the main shopping street both times we went to Dublin.

A lovely city and the Guinness was nice too.

• Like 3

Speaking of difficulties in canceling something for a deceased relative...my mother had a safe deposit box that I had authority to access.  She had terminal cancer and shortly before the end I emptied the safe deposit box.  After she died I went to the bank with a certified death certificate to close her account.  It was paid in advance for a year and there were 9 months left.  I thought I was being a Good Samaritan to let them know they could use the box and make more money renting it out to someone else.  They said they also needed a copy of her birth certificate!!  Hard to have a death certificate without accepting she was born.  And certainly no birth certificate had been needed to open the account.  I shrugged and left.

• Like 3

Well the great chef that I am (NOT!)....I didn't pay attention to my new little toaster oven, broiler, "turbo", air fryer, toaster settings last night.   I simply put it on the normal "bake" setting spot that was usual for the old one, to bake the half dozen cookies I put in there for Bucky's sweet tooth. 

Smelled something rather quickly and noticed smoke coming from the little counter top unit.  Yeah... anyone ever have "broiled cookies"?  😜 Bucky ate the "less black" ones...yuck...and he thought they were good.  🤢  🤭

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

On our way in an about an hour in the "land yacht" for a quick overnight at Jetty Park campground again in Port Canaveral.  Not the greatest of weather, but happy to score a site for a quick getaway at the beach.  

Doing grilled scallops and shrimp for dinner....and not broiled.  🥴

• Like 2

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Well the great chef that I am (NOT!)....I didn't pay attention to my new little toaster oven, broiler, "turbo", air fryer, toaster settings last night. 

I got Cuisinart one for Christmas.  I love it!  Takes up more space than toaster oven did but I'm using the air fryer a lot more than I thought I would.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Well the great chef that I am (NOT!)....I didn't pay attention to my new little toaster oven, broiler, "turbo", air fryer, toaster settings last night.   I simply put it on the normal "bake" setting spot that was usual for the old one, to bake the half dozen cookies I put in there for Bucky's sweet tooth. 

Smelled something rather quickly and noticed smoke coming from the little counter top unit.  Yeah... anyone ever have "broiled cookies"?  😜 Bucky ate the "less black" ones...yuck...and he thought they were good.  🤢  🤭

Excuse me, I beg to differ based on just the few food photos you've shared and describing other dishes you've made. 😉 

And as far as Bucky, my man. High five.  🖐️

• Like 2

On 3/20/2021 at 11:43 AM, island lady said:

I hear you on the "Gypsy heart".   

Bucky is reading to me everyday from his list I printed up over a year ago for him of where we should have been right now, if not for Covid shutdown. 

Today would have been "at sea" heading back to Sydney after touring the fiords of the south island of NZ.  Was originally scheduled to board Serenade out of Sydney on February 10th,  staying on all through to Vancouver until May 16th.  Sigh....he does like to torture me. 🥴

Bucky and I would probably get along great as I'm doing the same thing to my husband. Our cancelled cruises weren't as exciting as yours but I keep telling him what we should have been doing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

You are right I could make my home anywhere.  The simple and most important answer is my daughter and family lives in CA.  Like many, family is important to me and when I can I like to be with them.  Also, I like having my home near them.  I don't have to worry that, having been gone for 9 weeks like I will this trip, I will return to discover a homeless man living in my home. They also are able to do basic upkeep like keeping my lawn mowed and my mail picked up from the box.

I have other reasons also.  I would typically spend at least half a year in CA and I want a CCW permit.  In order to have a CCW permit in CA you must be a resident.  The Peoples Republic of California doesn't have a reciprocal agreement with other states.  Other states recognize CA's permit but CA doesn't recognize theirs.  In order to concealed carry I must be a resident.

While taxes are higher here, due to the nature of my employment, I am able to write off a significant enough portion of that income that I am not as impacted by it as other residents would be.  Also, my work is not governed by any sort of regulatory body so California's usual bureaucratic non-sense doesn't impact me at all.

From my home I can be in the Sierra Nevada mountains skiing in an hour and three quarters and I can be enjoying the ocean at Monterey in two hours. I have access to the San Francisco in a little over two hours and can be in Anaheim in four.

That being said, If I could convince my son-in-law, who is an RN, to take a job somewhere else I would move in a heartbeat.  That isn't likely so here I sit.  Living in Florida next to a cruise port would be pretty appealing to me.  Or a ten acres near a small town in Oklahoma where everybody knows everything about everybody. The only problem is I'd miss skiing and I'm scared of hurricanes and tornado's.  

I've lived in FL for most of my live so I'm used to hurricanes. We get notice and we can leave if we need to. Earthquakes terrify me. We moved to CA in 1989 and a few months later the Loma Prieta earthquake hit. As excited as I was to move to CA I was even more excited to move back to FL after experiencing that.

• Like 1

Kind of crappy weather for us this weekend, 50s and a little bit rainy.  We didn't have anything planned for today, until the washing machine broke yesterday.  Our longer term plan was to replace the washer and dryer that came with our new house, and put in a new stacked washer/dryer combo.  That would free up space for a cheap second refrigerator.  The long term plan just turned into an immediate plan.

There are cabinets mounted to the wall high above the washer/dryer and over the utility sink in the laundry room.  Unfortunately, they are mount about 1.5 inches too low for a stacked washer/dryer to fit.  Figured that I'd take the cabinets down temporarily so that we can have Lowes put the new stacked units in place.  We'd then have someone reinstall the cabinets later at the right height.  Whoever installed the cabinets originally stripped most of the screw heads.  Tried drilling them out but I only moved some basic tools with me to Florida and everything I need is in Ohio.

washingmachine.thumb.jpg.d391a4ecfcf1568dfeb8865cae2a7dd3.jpg

Sigh.  Why are things often so difficult?  New plan...get a stackable washer/dryer and put them both on the floor next to each other for now.  Worry about the cabinets, stacking the washer/dryer, and the new fridge later.  Off to Lowes we go.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Speaking of difficulties in canceling something for a deceased relative...my mother had a safe deposit box that I had authority to access.  She had terminal cancer and shortly before the end I emptied the safe deposit box.  After she died I went to the bank with a certified death certificate to close her account.  It was paid in advance for a year and there were 9 months left.  I thought I was being a Good Samaritan to let them know they could use the box and make more money renting it out to someone else.  They said they also needed a copy of her birth certificate!!  Hard to have a death certificate without accepting she was born.  And certainly no birth certificate had been needed to open the account.  I shrugged and left.

A month after my mom passed away from a heart attack, her cardiologist office sent her a bill addressed to her, mailed to her apt. that we were in process of cleaning out. This was the cardiologist who pronounced her death. When I called the office they said it was for the good service she received.   It was actually not a large bill at all, probably what Medicare didn't cover.  I asked how the office expected payment from a deceased person.  She was insistent that I pay it.  I gave her the cemetery name, plot # where my mom was buried and told her to dig for it.  I never heard from them again. It might have been wrong on my part but receiving that bill did not help my grief heal.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I know I have been sharing some incidentals that have been happening  with settling Uncle Jack's estate since he had no will.

My husband was the only surviving relative.

So we had to----

Get appointed power of attorney, my DH  was on some of the back accounts and on the house deed.

Like I said we had to get a medallion

Open up an estate account

Contact a lawyer to aide in transferring all items in probate  (ie. 5 cars one mobile home and one 4,000 square foot ranch to the DH name solely, property in Lehigh acres in Florida---I'll get to that, and stocks).

It is funny, that some of his credit cards had refunds on them for returned items or card perks.

We got those bank of america gift cards with the balance.

Discover card wrote a check to the estate.

The stocks were the easiest to transfer with just a notarized letter and death certificate.

His life insurance policy paid in a matter of 10 days.

The only busy work we have to do is contact a lawyer in Florida to transfer the deed on the lot to us.

Guess our probate cannot handle issues across state lines. 

But, somehow someone found out about Uncle Jacks death and an attorney in Fl. contacted us and for a mere $5000 dollars he would handle for us the transfer to my DH.

Then the next day another Lawyer in Fl contacted us and said they would handle all expenses and pay us $1000.00 and buy the lot, we would come out $1000.00

So the plot thickens, we are wondering if this piece of property is of some value.

It is a corner lot in a development that is close to a club house, golf course (we googled from above).

So  we are now planning a getaway to Lehigh acres this fall.

So, is anyone interested in going out to dinner with us?  

We will splurge for drinks and dessert?

Moral of the story, make sure you have a will.

Sea ya

• Like 5

The final piece in settling things for my Dad, who passed away Feb 2020 is filing his income taxes for 2020.  I’m an only child, my Mom passed away years ago & although my Dad remarried in 2012 they had a pre-nup so essentially nothing went to wife #2.  Dad did a good job of having all his accounts in his name & mine and had deeded his house to me in 2002.  So back to the taxes.  Being retired career military he received a monthly pension from the government that was auto deposited to his bank account.  The last deposit was made and then quickly pulled back out due his passing.  Now to the present, I never received a 1099 form for the one month of income last year (Jan 2020).  I call the DOD finance division and they tell me they can’t issue one because they never received a death certificate.  Funny they didn’t need a death certificate to pull back that February payment!  So I faxed it a month ago. Still waiting 🤔

• Like 3

Today was "shakedown day" for the remote control B-24 model DH has been building off and on for many years.  It has a 12 foot wingspan and is scratch built.  Today he moved it outside so he could start the gas engines.  He's pretty happy with it.  In this photo the plane doesn't have all the detail pieces installed, but he made some cool things for it, like operable bomb bay doors, gun turrets and retractable landing gear.  It will be an exciting day when he sends it up on its first flight.

20210321_132936.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, helen haywood said:

We returned from a short trip out of town to find our new oven conversing with us in French!  The power had glitched while we were away...but I’m surprised a Kitchen Aid would default to French!  Isn’t everything made in China?

We had a microwave that would turn on all by itself.  The screen would say “melt butter”.  It would go for about a minute and turn itself off.  I had to unplug it when not in use until we could replace it.  Since the plug was in the cabinet over it, being less tall, I had issues reaching it.  Needless to say, it got replaced quickly.