Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

RIP the great Willie Mays , growing up in New York City we had two of the great centerfielders of all time Mickey Mantle and the Say Hey Kid Willie Mays . I was always a Mickey fan but Mays was definitely one of the greatest of all time. 

• Like 13

16 minutes ago, George C said:

RIP the great Willie Mays , growing up in New York City we had two of the great centerfielders of all time Mickey Mantle and the Say Hey Kid Willie Mays . I was always a Mickey fan but Mays was definitely one of the greatest of all time. 

So sad.  Definitely on my list of top 5 baseball players of all time.

• Like 2

Congratulations Jane! @firefly333

Not just your moving company Jane. It seems to be a common scam. This was just posted on our local Nextdoor: 

Moving scam! Coastal Moving Services had good reviews in the first places we checked, only to find after the fact that a lot of people have had the same experience as us... They give you a moving estimate based on an itemized list of what you are moving and take a non-refundable deposit. A week before your move, they call to confirm with pictures all the items you are moving. We sent a picture of everything with measurements. They told us it was more than expecting and it almost doubled our price. We were really angry but we didn't want to lose our deposit or not be able to find another company in time. The representative told us it was better to overestimate than have last minute really expensive charges from having underestimated.

They moved my date from Saturday to Sunday, which I was okay with because I don't have to be out of the house until the end of the month. Today, they showed up late and immediately told me we had way more than expected and that, for the price, they would only be able to take the beds and maybe a couch. They tried to raise me another $1500 to take it all. I gave them just a little bit more to take whatever I absolutely could not move on my own and I will rent a truck to take the rest myself. We had already done that for all of our boxes and could have taken this stuff they left behind at the same time since our truck was not full. Guess what? Their customer service department is closed on Sundays. Coincidence? I think not! The guy also tried to get me to quickly sign through the receipt after they picked up our stuff. I read it anyway and part of it was waiving all liability if they damage our stuff. I didn't sign that part. So they lowballed us to think we were getting a fair price, then took our deposit and raised it to a high price, then last minute price gouged us absurdly.

I guess they're based out of Florida and just contract with local movers in other areas. DO NOT EVER EVEN CONSIDER THEIR SERVICES! They come up on the top movers list and God knows how they got on it. I hope their bad karma catches up with them. You can only do this to so many people for so long before you do it to people much crazier than us with a lot less to lose. Whenever that eventually happens (🤞), I hope they don't expect any sympathy from society. Upon further reading, there are a lot of other people who have posted experiences exactly like ours with this company and some complaints with the Better Business Bureau. I'm sure only a small fraction of people they've screwed have bothered to write about it.

Unfortunately, my parents booked with the same company since they're leaving their apartment. They already gave a deposit and set a move date. These guys already tried to move them to a Sunday but they refused. They're considering cutting their losses and going with someone else than continuing with them and paying double or triple what they're expecting, and they have to be out that specific day. You can make plenty of steady money running a legitimate and honest business.

Greedy is a horrible, ugly thing that breaks down the kind of trust society depends upon.

I know it is just a giant wall o" text. But it is not my wall o' text. I will try to add paragraphs. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I also agree 150 the ambience is more upscale than say chops or Giovanni. A little more fancy and dressy feeling. 

We like those High backed chairs in 150 Central park.

Congratulations on your new home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coralc said:

Congratulations Jane! @firefly333

Not just your moving company Jane. It seems to be a common scam. This was just posted on our local Nextdoor: 

Moving scam! Coastal Moving Services had good reviews in the first places we checked, only to find after the fact that a lot of people have had the same experience as us... They give you a moving estimate based on an itemized list of what you are moving and take a non-refundable deposit. A week before your move, they call to confirm with pictures all the items you are moving. We sent a picture of everything with measurements. They told us it was more than expecting and it almost doubled our price. We were really angry but we didn't want to lose our deposit or not be able to find another company in time. The representative told us it was better to overestimate than have last minute really expensive charges from having underestimated.

They moved my date from Saturday to Sunday, which I was okay with because I don't have to be out of the house until the end of the month. Today, they showed up late and immediately told me we had way more than expected and that, for the price, they would only be able to take the beds and maybe a couch. They tried to raise me another $1500 to take it all. I gave them just a little bit more to take whatever I absolutely could not move on my own and I will rent a truck to take the rest myself. We had already done that for all of our boxes and could have taken this stuff they left behind at the same time since our truck was not full. Guess what? Their customer service department is closed on Sundays. Coincidence? I think not! The guy also tried to get me to quickly sign through the receipt after they picked up our stuff. I read it anyway and part of it was waiving all liability if they damage our stuff. I didn't sign that part. So they lowballed us to think we were getting a fair price, then took our deposit and raised it to a high price, then last minute price gouged us absurdly.

I guess they're based out of Florida and just contract with local movers in other areas. DO NOT EVER EVEN CONSIDER THEIR SERVICES! They come up on the top movers list and God knows how they got on it. I hope their bad karma catches up with them. You can only do this to so many people for so long before you do it to people much crazier than us with a lot less to lose. Whenever that eventually happens (🤞), I hope they don't expect any sympathy from society. Upon further reading, there are a lot of other people who have posted experiences exactly like ours with this company and some complaints with the Better Business Bureau. I'm sure only a small fraction of people they've screwed have bothered to write about it.

Unfortunately, my parents booked with the same company since they're leaving their apartment. They already gave a deposit and set a move date. These guys already tried to move them to a Sunday but they refused. They're considering cutting their losses and going with someone else than continuing with them and paying double or triple what they're expecting, and they have to be out that specific day. You can make plenty of steady money running a legitimate and honest business.

Greedy is a horrible, ugly thing that breaks down the kind of trust society depends upon.

I know it is just a giant wall o" text. But it is not my wall o' text. I will try to add paragraphs. 

Oddly enough when I just typed in safe ship the top of the page came up coastal moving who you mentioned. Hmmm.

And we went over the inventory twice before they came for pick up but then when they got there packed everything but my bedroom furniture. I'd have left my living room stuff behind rather than my bedroom furniture, but needed another $1500 if I wanted my bed and dresser. I was going to replace my old sofa and arm chair anyway. The lady today said she researched it and I wasnt charged for the box that only had 4 cords. I said how can that be but they didnt have enough room for my vacuum and pole lamp? So they taped them together and put them on the truck.

No wonder the vacuum handle arrived in little broken pieces of plastic I cant put back together. Vacuum done for and its not like I need a 6 ft step ladder but it's just plain missing. I could get by with a shorter one. It's my broken antiques I've kept and treasured for the last 50 years I got from some decorators moving to europe. The black lacquer table was over 300 years old when i bought it. I dont know the age of the round mahogany table but its antique and a scratch right in the middle of my mahogany bed headboard. If it wasnt right in the middle and so obvious. A gouge in the foot of marble topped napoleon table. That's the one I see this one guy trying to set the marble on the top alone.,the one piece marked marble extremely fragile napoleon table.

And my 2nd triple dresser left setting on its end, 1 of 2 heavy pieces I moved. I'll have to hire 2 guys to set it on its side and unwrap it. A xmas tree the top is bent trash now. Who wants a xmas tree with the top broken hanging down. The way the wrapped my pictures I worried. A oil painting obviously on canvas they taped some reproductions that were in heavy glass from, about 5 pictures taped to the bigger oil painting. I guess I assumed pictures would be packed separately in boxes. These guys I bought it from had a spot light on the blue vase of the painting and said she was a famous texas artist who only painted roses. I have some other valuable paintings smaller I took in my car this oil is quite large. Maybe she is no longer famous but I was aghast they just taped some heavier pictures with glass, quite heavier to it to move my pictures. 

You can see safe ship is listed as the top rated even right now on google. And delivery date kept being pushed out, well if you dont hear from us by june 6 get a hold of us again. A week later it's the 12 business days dont start being counted until from the date I picked from delivery, not the pick up date. And saying it had been disclosed to me the 3500 was a brokerage fee. It was attached 3 days later to a email it was a non refundable brokerage fee, on the phone it was called a deposit. Elevator no extra fee, extra fee though when delivery guy came. Clearly they are liars. My heart is broken over the legs broken off my antiques.,delivery guy said my fault I should have paid to have them crated. I've moved before and never had stuff moved just taped up with cardboard. So other than the bbb any other recourse to warn others? Try to submit a review?

See listed as the top rated and out of florida, same story as what you wrote. List of 10 and safe ship listed as #1 top rated by google. The list goes all the way down the page. Safe ship listed as #1 rated. I thought if I paid for the best it would be worth it. 

https://www.consumervoice.org/top-moving-services?s=safe-ship-moving&kw=safe ship moving&cpn=11870948095&adgroup=144067312479&loc_physical=9011838&loc_interest=&matchtype=e&network=g&device=t&creative=643067984308&placement=&target=&adpos=&gad_source=1

Here is another conflicting on google. So I guess I'm stupid. One place says they are a moving company, the other says they are a moving broker.

20240619_021549159.jpeg

20240619_031315254.jpeg

20240619_031348976.jpeg

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 2

I went to the bbb site and left a review as a 1, cant leave lower. Under complaints this guy says he was ready to take his life after this company scammed him. Their reply was about friends and family to support him and seeking professional help ... this is after using these folks to move. I admit I was deeply saddened to see antiques I'd treasured for 50 years and newer stuff broken, just felt in shock. All this stuff about them disclosing they are a brokerage not a moving company is bs. It was a attachment to a email days later. Read this .. I see I'm not the only one sad about being ripped off and stuff ruined and damaged though I wouldn't take my life.

20240619_035203024.jpeg

• Like 2

Freeze1.thumb.jpeg.9bb73836d35f1e5046c39522159c208b.jpeg

Honored and humbled that my original Tiki cocktail got chosen to be judged for Spikes Breezeway Cocktail Hour using Spikes own rum with collaboration with Ed Hamilton Rums.

Freeze2.thumb.jpeg.37ef8b0924fe78e1a07a77965828fa83.jpeg

I knew I wouldn't win the round but happy I got to participate. I competed with others who are very experienced mixologists so I learned a lot. In the end I should have used 1 dash of Angostura Bitters instead of two.

Freeze3.thumb.jpeg.4d64dbc12e11e1f0aa37ac675405349b.jpeg

Here is my recipe for the "Sea Dog Breeze."
* 2 oz Spike's Breezeway Rum Blend
* 1 oz pineapple juice
* 1 oz orange juice
* 1/2 oz lime juice
* 1/2 oz blue curaçao liqueur
* 1/2 oz Orgeat syrup
* 1 dashes Angostura bitters 
* Pineapple wedge and maraschino cherry (for garnish)
Shake with pebble ice and pour into Mai Tai glass

Cheers!

Here is an edited version of just my cocktail as the whole show is almost an hour and a half. A couple of pretty funny moments when I get accused of trying to bribe Matt with a super chat even though I wasn’t just trying to say thanks for including me and then when Matt first tastes my cocktail his sip goes down the wrong pipe. Scared me at first.

If interested here is the whole thing

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Freeze1.thumb.jpeg.9bb73836d35f1e5046c39522159c208b.jpeg

Honored and humbled that my original Tiki cocktail got chosen to be judged for Spikes Breezeway Cocktail Hour using Spikes own rum with collaboration with Ed Hamilton Rums.

Freeze2.thumb.jpeg.37ef8b0924fe78e1a07a77965828fa83.jpeg

I knew I wouldn't win the round but happy I got to participate. I competed with others who are very experienced mixologists so I learned a lot. In the end I should have used 1 dash of Angostura Bitters instead of two.

Freeze3.thumb.jpeg.4d64dbc12e11e1f0aa37ac675405349b.jpeg

Here is my recipe for the "Sea Dog Breeze."
* 2 oz Spike's Breezeway Rum Blend
* 1 oz pineapple juice
* 1 oz orange juice
* 1/2 oz lime juice
* 1/2 oz blue curaçao liqueur
* 1/2 oz Orgeat syrup
* 1 dashes Angostura bitters 
* Pineapple wedge and maraschino cherry (for garnish)
Shake with pebble ice and pour into Mai Tai glass

Cheers!

Here is an edited version of just my cocktail as the whole show is almost an hour and a half. A couple of pretty funny moments when I get accused of trying to bribe Matt with a super chat even though I wasn’t just trying to say thanks for including me and then when Matt first tastes my cocktail his sip goes down the wrong pipe. Scared me at first.

If interested here is the whole thing

Congrats Greg!  I was screaming at my monitor, "YOU FORGOT THE ORGEAT!!!".   I was ready to demand a recount.  Fortunately, he caught that mistake in time.  While it would have been great to have your recipe in the bottle, it would have been incredibly cool to have that trophy sitting on your bar. 

Unfortunately, I won't be giving this drink a try.  Not a fan at all of Blue Curacao.

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Unfortunately, I won't be giving this drink a try.  Not a fan at all of Blue Curacao.

A lot of people aren’t either. I only chose it because it’s used in a Blue Hawaiian. I also wanted the color to look like the ocean. I was kinda close but it was more of a blue green color. 😂

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

A lot of people are taking advantage of the newly created Holliday.

20240619_113847.thumb.jpg.201747471d183809743e2b183c62a357.jpg

My son appreciates it, kind of, it's his birthday today.  He alternates between saying everyone is celebrating with him and that's my day not everybody's.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Is it because you don't like the coconut taste or is there something else about it you don't like? I think it makes drinks taste too sweet.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Is it because you don't like the coconut taste or is there something else about it you don't like? I think it makes drinks taste too sweet.

I have found that Blue Curacao has a sweet orange peel flavor, with subtle bitter finish. The flavor is similar to Triple Sec, with a touch more bitterness

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

It's a combination of taste and appearance.  It's also too sweet for me, and it unfortunately makes me think of Windex.  😵‍💫

• Like 1
  • Haha 14

10 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Oddly enough when I just typed in safe ship the top of the page came up coastal moving who you mentioned. Hmmm.

And we went over the inventory twice before they came for pick up but then when they got there packed everything but my bedroom furniture. I'd have left my living room stuff behind rather than my bedroom furniture, but needed another $1500 if I wanted my bed and dresser. I was going to replace my old sofa and arm chair anyway. The lady today said she researched it and I wasnt charged for the box that only had 4 cords. I said how can that be but they didnt have enough room for my vacuum and pole lamp? So they taped them together and put them on the truck.

No wonder the vacuum handle arrived in little broken pieces of plastic I cant put back together. Vacuum done for and its not like I need a 6 ft step ladder but it's just plain missing. I could get by with a shorter one. It's my broken antiques I've kept and treasured for the last 50 years I got from some decorators moving to europe. The black lacquer table was over 300 years old when i bought it. I dont know the age of the round mahogany table but its antique and a scratch right in the middle of my mahogany bed headboard. If it wasnt right in the middle and so obvious. A gouge in the foot of marble topped napoleon table. That's the one I see this one guy trying to set the marble on the top alone.,the one piece marked marble extremely fragile napoleon table.

And my 2nd triple dresser left setting on its end, 1 of 2 heavy pieces I moved. I'll have to hire 2 guys to set it on its side and unwrap it. A xmas tree the top is bent trash now. Who wants a xmas tree with the top broken hanging down. The way the wrapped my pictures I worried. A oil painting obviously on canvas they taped some reproductions that were in heavy glass from, about 5 pictures taped to the bigger oil painting. I guess I assumed pictures would be packed separately in boxes. These guys I bought it from had a spot light on the blue vase of the painting and said she was a famous texas artist who only painted roses. I have some other valuable paintings smaller I took in my car this oil is quite large. Maybe she is no longer famous but I was aghast they just taped some heavier pictures with glass, quite heavier to it to move my pictures. 

You can see safe ship is listed as the top rated even right now on google. And delivery date kept being pushed out, well if you dont hear from us by june 6 get a hold of us again. A week later it's the 12 business days dont start being counted until from the date I picked from delivery, not the pick up date. And saying it had been disclosed to me the 3500 was a brokerage fee. It was attached 3 days later to a email it was a non refundable brokerage fee, on the phone it was called a deposit. Elevator no extra fee, extra fee though when delivery guy came. Clearly they are liars. My heart is broken over the legs broken off my antiques.,delivery guy said my fault I should have paid to have them crated. I've moved before and never had stuff moved just taped up with cardboard. So other than the bbb any other recourse to warn others? Try to submit a review?

See listed as the top rated and out of florida, same story as what you wrote. List of 10 and safe ship listed as #1 top rated by google. The list goes all the way down the page. Safe ship listed as #1 rated. I thought if I paid for the best it would be worth it. 

https://www.consumervoice.org/top-moving-services?s=safe-ship-moving&kw=safe ship moving&cpn=11870948095&adgroup=144067312479&loc_physical=9011838&loc_interest=&matchtype=e&network=g&device=t&creative=643067984308&placement=&target=&adpos=&gad_source=1

Here is another conflicting on google. So I guess I'm stupid. One place says they are a moving company, the other says they are a moving broker.

20240619_021549159.jpeg

20240619_031315254.jpeg

20240619_031348976.jpeg

If you look at the pictures you posted, those are not google reviews, they are reviews posted on "consumervoice", not to be confused with two others by very similar names.  If you google "safe ship moving services reviews", you will see the terrible review numbers on BBB, yelp and reddit.  It is unfortunate that there are paid reviews making this company look good but you have moved on, which is the best thing for you to do at this point!  I am glad you got some money from them and that your house in Texas has passed.  Moving on to bridge, water aerobics and booking cruises is the best thing you can do for yourself.  Purple noodle was a great choice and the thin ones are best for wrapping around you to do the exercises.  The thicker ones do not bend enough.  Lands End makes really nice water sneakers if you find that bouncing on the pool bottom is causing issues with your feet.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

If you look at the pictures you posted, those are not google reviews, they are reviews posted on "consumervoice", not to be confused with two others by very similar names.  If you google "safe ship moving services reviews", you will see the terrible review numbers on BBB, yelp and reddit.  It is unfortunate that there are paid reviews making this company look good but you have moved on, which is the best thing for you to do at this point!  I am glad you got some money from them and that your house in Texas has passed.  Moving on to bridge, water aerobics and booking cruises is the best thing you can do for yourself.  Purple noodle was a great choice and the thin ones are best for wrapping around you to do the exercises.  The thicker ones do not bend enough.  Lands End makes really nice water sneakers if you find that bouncing on the pool bottom is causing issues with your feet.  

The Consumer Voice web "reviews" are a good warning to everyone here.  If you search online for best XXX, where XXX can be just about anything, you'll almost certainly find several web sites that are designed to look like independent review sites.  As @reallyitsmema said, these are NOT independent sites, even if they have names that sound independent, or official, or consumer friendly.  They typically have reviews that are paid for by companies wanting their products or services to look better than they often are.  Be sure that you only look at web sites from trusted sources. 

If you're not sure who to trust, ask here...someone who is familiar with the product or service area that you're searching can hopefully point you in a trustworthy direction.  I've mentioned Reddit here before.  Reddit is also a good source to ask questions but like many other online places, you'll need to evaluate the responses with a grain of salt.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Well I got a late start this morning, ran to the store, grabbed sushi for brunch as I didnt want to go to bridge hungry. It is party bridge. Not what immused to. They play for money. Top couple gets $5, 2nd gets $4, bottom $3 I think. The rest is donsted to the veterans. Also I saw there is a friendly poker game here for small money I think friday nights. Never played for money prizes lol. But I'm in no danger of winning today.

My new partner Claire is 95 years old. She doesnt care if she wins, so it's all good. We didnt do wonderful but she doesnt care. We are playing together again tomorrow as partners. My last partner had alzheimer or one of those getting progressively worse until I finally quit and covid hit about then. She is a improvement over my last partner who kept forgetting previous bids. 

There are also games at the senior center in rockledge for $4 pp, $3 if I pay to join their senior center. I gave someone my name and phone number if someones sick and calls inland a partner needed. .. now to read all the posts here today and catch up. And I should do another box of unpacking. Need to make myself keep at it. Didnt make it to chair yoga this morning, bridge won for my time. I love to play. 

• Like 10

3 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

I'll keep sneakers in mind though I wasnt worried about my feet. The place I went to on the beach filled with msc cruisers. 2 bldgs. The one with better prices says buy before fall. The bldg is being torn down this fall, those sales prices are only for this summer then the bldg torn down. I just saw that kind of pool noodle in different colors. No thicker ones but I thought I remembered them being thicker. I've thrown many away.

I passed every swimming course they used to offer including jr and senior life saving. Jjst wish I could pass the look better in a bathing suit one. Just not sitting around at home has to help I hope. More activity in my life. The guy running the bridge game is stscking chairs and folding card tables. One lady helped him. I can help tomorrow more I said. Hes in a wheelchair with one leg cut off at the knee and others cant stsck up their own chairs? I can help. I dont mind a few extra minutes to help afterward. I dont get in the pool on cruises because how I look, I'm embarrassed. Time to work on that.. trying. It's not how much I eat, its lack of activity. I actually love to swim. Just embarrassing how I look.

It's not going to happen overnight. Sitting playing cards wouldnt do it though. But at least I'm walking a lot more. It's so gorgeous here. Sidewalks are smooth not all broken like where I moved from where I was afraid of tripping. Cant walk even around the block there after dark, always worried because easy to trip. It's a  lie around the lake that goes behind the vets bldg. Even a mile I have to work up to. The walkways are nice and smooth. 

I walked to the elevators to get a little more of the veterans museum in the picture. My cousin says its a mile to walk around the lake that goes behind the museum. 63 acres. This is from my feont entrance... the street you see in the 2nd picture turns out to be the back way to the merritt island publix. Sun is out and it's a beautiful day. Tomorrow I'll walk over. It's not the beach but good fishing and walking. I hope birding. Told my cousin come visit. She knows to treat it as her home do whatever she wants. Shes a great guest.

20240619_170923.jpg

20240619_170942.jpg

• Like 13