What’s your favorite restaurant on any cruise ship?

George C

18 minutes ago, sullaRaffaello said:

The Queens Grill on all the Cunard ships. To turn back time, the Versailles Restaurant (tourist class) on the SS France.

Never have experienced any Queens Grills.  I did have the opportunity to visit the Versailles Restaurant on the SS France as a visitor before she sailed one night.  I remember a beautiful double deck dining room.  Her First Class dining room was even more stunning. 

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

If they had offered some good Asian food

"Good" being the operative word. We've found a ton of especially Chinese restaurants that serve "Chinese-American" food. Nothing wild and crazy. So I'm betting cruise ships would be along that line. It's why we didn't dine in the "Asian fusion" place on Oceania. Ho-hum 🙂

43 minutes ago, George C said:

Lenny I know your not young but 1073? Everyone had suits until mid 1980’s on most lines. Also most lines prepared some dish’s table side.

Oops,a typo. I am close to you in age. I saw your post about working in downtown Manhattan in 1967 ,I believe .I worked in that area in 1968.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Never have experienced any Queens Grills.  I did have the opportunity to visit the Versailles Restaurant on the SS France as a visitor before she sailed one night.  I remember a beautiful double deck dining room.  Her First Class dining room was even more stunning. 

You remember correctly. Exquisite traditional French food that's not that easy to find in France anymore, just not the ultra-luxury items in The first class dining room, like Beluga Caviar. Unfortunately,  I made the decision to go tourist because first was $500 more. This was 1974 and I was 22 years old. Responsible decision at the time. But I ask myself now, would I miss that $500 in 2020? LOL  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rotherham_Cruiser said:

Don't know if it's still there but the BEST meal we've ever had at sea was at the SS United States on Celebrity Infinity

That was an excellent restaurant, as was its sister restaurant on Constellation - whatever it was called. Celebrity does specialty restaurants really well. 

On 4/9/2020 at 10:37 PM, lenquixote66 said:

We never eat in Specialty restaurants. I cannot understand why people have the need to spend additional money.We enjoy the MDR’s On Cruise ships .

Because some people prefer the ambiance of a smaller restaurant and don't mind paying for it.  I have never looked at the price of any meal on any cruise ship.  None of them are that much that it would matter to us.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ducklite said:

Remy on the Disney Dream.  If it were land based it would have two or quite possibly three Michelin Stars.

We agree - Remy on the Dream or the Fantasy!

Edited by DaKa2002
Correct spelling
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ducklite said:

Because some people prefer the ambiance of a smaller restaurant and don't mind paying for it.  I have never looked at the price of any meal on any cruise ship.  None of them are that much that it would matter to us.

That is why everyone has different opinions .😀

17 hours ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

That was an excellent restaurant, as was its sister restaurant on Constellation - whatever it was called. Celebrity does specialty restaurants really well. 

All those restaurants on Celebrity's M class ships are gone, replaced by Tuscan Grill.   The restaurants on the 4 M class ships are pretty much the same as Murano on the  five Celebrity Solstice class ships.   Many think Celebrity made a big mistake getting rid of them. 

• Like 1

Hands down, Red Ginger on Oceania Riviera. (I'm not counting the Dom Perignon Experience as it wasn't a 'specialty restaurant' per se.) Out of all of the specialty dining on Oceania, Red Ginger was the one I was least excited about. But after having their spicy duck and watermelon salad (and I don't even LIKE duck!), and the miso glazed sea bass, I swiftly changed my mind. I'm already looking forward to dining there again, and still crave that salad. 

On 4/9/2020 at 1:36 PM, lenquixote66 said:

Sorrento’s pizza on Anthem of the Seas.

On 4/9/2020 at 4:49 PM, clo said:

Do these all charge extra for the specialty ones?

On 4/9/2020 at 4:55 PM, leaveitallbehind said:

Yes.  As they are specialty restaurants, they are for a separate fee on these and most cruise lines.

Somewhat reminiscent of your thread some time ago regarding cruise lines that do not have all restaurants included in the fare, as with Oceania and other premium fare luxury cruise lines which do, as I recall.

@cloSorrento's (among others) are "specialty" restaurants that don't add a fee.  The higher end fare, which most think of for specialty restaurants, do generally come with a fee (especially on mainstream lines) while anything that isn't the buffet or the MDR could technically be considered a specialty restaurant.

My three favorites - from a limited sampling - are:

• Wine Maker's Table on Princess ($, more an event like Chef's Table than a restaurant)
  • Alfredo's on Princess (complimentary at least at lunch, sit down menu Italian)
  • Blue Iguana Cantina on Carnival (complimentary breakfast and lunch offerings, counter service, Mexican fare)

Honorable mention to the complimentary Asian place on NCL that I can't remember the name.  I'm sure it wasn't truly authentic Chinese but still better than what passes even on land - a nice option for something different.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

@cloSorrento's (among others) are "specialty" restaurants that don't add a fee.  The higher end fare, which most think of for specialty restaurants, do generally come with a fee (especially on mainstream lines) while anything that isn't the buffet or the MDR could technically be considered a specialty restaurant.

As you suggest, Sorrento's was probably not the best example by that poster.  Under the thread heading of specialty restaurants it would not qualify as it is, by definition, not one.  While it may be his favorite, it is by no means one of RCI's specialty restaurants as it is included in the base fare and does not require a separate fee to dine there.  The specialty restaurants are defined as such on RCI (and essentially all mass market lines) as requiring a separate fee. 

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

As you suggest, Sorrento's was probably not the best example by that poster.  Under the thread heading of specialty restaurants it would not qualify as it is, by definition, not one.  While it may be his favorite, it is by no means one of RCI's specialty restaurants as it is included in the base fare and does not require a separate fee to dine there.  The specialty restaurants are defined as such on RCI (and essentially all mass market lines) as requiring a separate fee. 

If you are referring to my post I was responding to favorite restaurant on a ship and not favorite specialty restaurant.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

If you are referring to my post I was responding to favorite restaurant on a ship and not favorite specialty restaurant.

I realize that and also stand corrected as I interpreted the thread to refer to specialty restaurants whereas in looking again the thread title only specifies "favorite restaurants".  

I apologize if it seemed as though I was correcting you as in fact I am the one in error.  BTW, I also like Sorrentos.

• Like 3

Just now, leaveitallbehind said:

I realize that and also stand corrected as I interpreted the thread to refer to specialty restaurants whereas in looking again the thread title only specifies "favorite restaurants".  

I apologize if it seemed as though I was correcting you as in fact I am the one in error.  BTW, I also like Sorrentos.

That is fine. I was going to give an analogy .I will do so anyway.

If someone were to ask me who my favorite basketball player is who played in Philadelphia one might expect me to say Chamberlain but I would pick a guy I went to HS with Billy Cunningham.😀

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

That is fine. I was going to give an analogy .I will do so anyway.

If someone were to ask me who my favorite basketball player is who played in Philadelphia one might expect me to say Chamberlain but I would pick a guy I went to HS with Billy Cunningham.😀

....a reference that I believe I recall from an older thread.  You have had several interesting encounters in your past, based in part if I remember correctly on your own playing days, that being from the Philly area I can relate to.

Thanks for the analogy...BC meant a lot to this town IMO.

My apologies as well to the OP for this sidetrack.  Back to the restaurants....

Edited by leaveitallbehind

At this time, my favorite restaurant is the Buffet.  Don't laugh or sniff your nose.  I am a huge salad freak.  I am able to make amazing salads at the Buffet to satisfy my craving.    

When I first started cruising, everyone said I had to do at least one specialty restaurant on the ships.  OK.   First one I tried was the so-called Cajun/Creole restaurant that was on the Caribbean Princess.  I was a fan of that type of cooking, getting my education from Patout's and a friend of mine from LA who made amazing food. .  It was not good at all and pretty darn bland.  Next one I tried was the Italian restaurant on NCL.  Bland and boring.  Everyone said "you gotta try the steak places."  Since I don't do red meat, I really didn't feel like paying the uncharge for a steak house where I'd either get the usual fish or chicken.   I really don't do desserts, so even that wouldn't be worth it.   I haven't done a specialty restaurant since then.  I just don't want to pay extra and get disappointed by more mediocre food - if I want that, I'll stay in the MDR.  

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 1

I like salads but I cannot do a salad a day.Pizza is something that I can do every day.

When I was growing up they did not have a pizza parlor on every corner like they do today in large cities.It was a luxury for me.When I am on a cruise that has Sorrento’s I am soooo happy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I like salads but I cannot do a salad a day.Pizza is something that I can do every day.

When I was growing up they did not have a pizza parlor on every corner like they do today in large cities.It was a luxury for me.When I am on a cruise that has Sorrento’s I am soooo happy.

But you did live in nyc , so you should know what good pizza is and as a Italian growing up in Brooklyn I will never think of Sorrentos as good,  our recent msc seaside cruise had excellent thin crust pizza. We always have pizza a few times on our annual nyc trip sometimes way after midnight. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, George C said:

But you did live in nyc , so you should know what good pizza is and as a Italian growing up in Brooklyn I will never think of Sorrentos as good,  our recent msc seaside cruise had excellent thin crust pizza. We always have pizza a few times on our annual nyc trip sometimes way after midnight. 

I lived in Brooklyn till 2003.When I was a kid living in Brooklyn I only remember one Italian restaurant in my neighborhood.My first slice of pizza was in Jamaica,Queens.It was only when I was in my teens that I had pizza on a regular basis.

6 hours ago, slidergirl said:

At this time, my favorite restaurant is the Buffet.  Don't laugh or sniff your nose.  I am a huge salad freak.  I am able to make amazing salads at the Buffet to satisfy my craving.    

On Oceania it's called "Terrace Cafe," but yeah a buffet and we loved it. We had a couple of off-putting issues in the MDR so we either did the specialties (no extra charge) or the buffet. Loved it.

tues lunch-Edited.jpg