100 more days

Does anyone know if the 100 day order issued by the CDC came out after the stock market closed on Thursday?  If so, wonder how the cruise stocks will open on Monday morning.  My guess is way South...

The order did come out after markets closed, I expect by design. I also expect cruise stocks to drop on Monday.

9 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

The order did come out after markets closed, I expect by design. I also expect cruise stocks to drop on Monday.

Thanks for this.  I was thinking about buying some more but am leery at this point.  If it goes back down to 19.25 think I might dive in. 

58 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

There is no rhyme or reason in the stock markets. They announced the CDC nonsail order on Friday Mar 13th, the cruise stocks went up on Monday.  

The only thing reason I could figure is most investors already built that assumption into the price and closed out their shorts at the time.

Edited by rimmit
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

I get it but it doesn't hurt to remove the page that states cruises will resume on May 12 when they know that is not going to happen. That information only misleads people.  They should replace it with something like "we will be announcing our restart date when it is known" or something of the sort.  Leaving May 12th up there gives people false hopes and could mess up travel plans and cause people much aggravation and potentially lose money. 

Cruises May 12 and beyond are still available to book on the RCI website. 

1 minute ago, rimmit said:

There is no rhyme or reason in the stock markets. They announced the CDC nonsail order on Friday Mar 13th, the cruise stocks went up on Monday.  

The longer the uncertainty continues, the more they borrow, the longer they go with no positive revenue...seems to be causing Rallys. I expect a miserable earnings report for Q1 and a subsequent 25% jump the next day 😂😂😂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Cruises May 12 and beyond are still available to book on the RCI website. 

I wonder if you can really go through the whole process and make final payment though.  If that's the case, that's very deceitful IMHO. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

I wonder if you can really go through the whole process and make final payment though.  If that's the case, that's very deceitful IMHO. 

You can, indeed. I have a May 16 cruise I booked early last week

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

It just seems like often times the "solution" to an issue ends up being an over the top over reaction.

Just wanted to add: "not thought through, knee-jerk over the top reaction" that seems like a good idea in the heat of the moment but once the smoke clears, not so much. 

I predict that next year at this time, we'll be looking back laughing at all the ridiculous predictions being made now.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I predict that next year at this time, we'll be looking back laughing at all the ridiculous predictions being made now.

106,469 deaths worldwide and you think you'll be laughing? I do hope this was your attempt at humor.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Edited by flyguyjake

1.7 Million people have become infected. There is NO sign of this being contained anytime soon. I'm certainly not laughing and I'm extremely grateful that our states Governors have taken such drastic measures to help slow the spread of infection. Nearly 2K deaths daily in the US at this moment is a number that was totally unfathomable just months ago.

8 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

3 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

106,469 deaths worldwide and you think you'll be laughing? I do hope this was your attempt at humor.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Perhaps I needed to make myself a little more clear: we'll be looking back laughing at all the ridiculous predictions affecting the cruise lines being made now. For example, eliminating buffets, cruise lines going bankrupt, not allowing 70+ old people on ships, eliminating C&A, no cruising for the next 18 months, etc.

Not sure how you got the impression I was laughing at people dying.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

That was before the 100 day order was issued last Thursday though.  Wonder if you can still do it now?  

Good point...wondering as well.

We did book new cruises to replace ones that were cancelled.

We won't be booking anymore. 

Buffets -- We sailed on Oasis after a big Norovirus outbreak brought the ship back to port a day early.  For the first 4 days of the cruise, Windjammer Buffets and hors d'oeurves were served by an attendant in the Diamond Lounge.  We didn't go to the MDR  for breakfast or lunch during that period so I could not tell you how those buffets were handled.  

4 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

The CDC holds an entirely different opinion when it comes to the spread of Covid19 that the CLIA so vehemently denies.  Below is a list of infected ships and that's not counting the ships overseas with no US stops such as the Diamond Princess quarantined off of Yokohama last month. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/cruise-ship/what-cdc-is-doing.html

Screen Shot 2020-04-11 at 10.04.51 AM.png

You conveniently cut off the bottom bit of that page...

Only the ships with an asterisk next to it are ships that actively had cases onboard. 

The other ships on the list who had people on them who reported symptoms within 14 days of returing from them, so nobody can say for sure if they are/were "infected ships" or not...

20200411_201253.jpg

I cant say this for sure but I wouldn't have been at all surprised to see the Adventure of the Seas on that list. We sailed on her on Feb 15-23. Two in our party got really sick with what we thought was a nasty head cold. Our son in law battled it only for a couple of days but shortly afterwards our son got it and suffered for almost 2 weeks. Fever, congested, chest tightness, hard to breathe. Of course we weren't fully aware in February but looking back on it now I wonder.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GarlicBread said:

You conveniently cut off the bottom bit of that page...

Only the ships with an asterisk next to it are ships that actively had cases onboard. 

The other ships on the list who had people on them who reported symptoms within 14 days of returing from them, so nobody can say for sure if they are/were "infected ships" or not...

That was all that fit on my screen - I didn't "conveniently" cut off the bottom -- I also posted the direct link so anyone that cared could go and view the entire page.  That's still a lot of infections and that's not even counting the ships that didn't have any US stops such as the Diamond Princess.  

Edited by livingonthebeach
  • Like 1

I personally also think there will be a number of changes.

Remember that COVID-19 affects you on a ship whether you get it or not.  Someone comes down with COVID-19, and you are going to be quarantined along with the whole ship.  Even if you never get it, expect immediate end of your wonderful cruise, followed by quarantine.  Ouch!

I often stayed away from Windjammer as it was, after seeing what children and some adults do at the food stations.  I would applaud having servers fill your plate, rather than self-serve.  I don't want to touch a serving spoon when the prior passenger may-or-may-not have washed their hands or wiped their nose.

What about social distancing?  Lounges and theatres are packed; if someone is sick, and is asymptomatic, there is no way for you to know until they come down with it half-way through the cruise.

I personally will probably stay away unless they have good testing of passengers prior to boarding.  I don't mean taking a temperature; like I said, people can be asymptomatic.  I mean something like a cheek swab that turns red if you have COVID-19 or another virus.  A real way to test, to prove that everyone getting on the cruise are free from the virus.

• Like 2