100 more days

24 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I am not arguing your points. I just don't see ever getting the level of reassurance  of a disease free environment the person I quoted is looking for.

I absolutely agree that's why I instated my own no balcony no cruise rule.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, rtazz17 said:

Vaccine will never ever ever be released unless its 100% safe to public. That is a guarantee. Thats why it will be at minimum a year and prolly 2-3.....  the economy will open.... it will just be ready to put hot spots out as they arise..... we have lived with viruses in the past and still had an economy. This will be no different. Once people realize they are not going to die if they actually get covid things will settle. You really have to dive into the numbers to actually see how much of a chance you really have of dieing from this. Its so miniscual its a non issue. Dont get in your car if you have a fear of covid because you will die in your car before dieing from covid. Its all perspective. No chance in the world 335,000,000 people will be tested before economy opens. 1000s will die from poverty,suicides and many other things  if thats the case.

I agree with some of your points, however, there are major differences between Covid19 and prior viruses otherwise the whole world would not be shut down.  Take SARS for example. The SARS epidemic in 2003 reported 8098 cases with 774 deaths with the vast majority of cases in 5 countries or regions: China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore and Toronto, Canada.  By interrupting human-to-human transmission SARS was effectively eradicated. 

Covid19 is Worldwide and in just a few months time, since the beginning of the outbreak, the worldwide death toll is more than 107,000 and 1.7 million confirmed cases. The danger is that if go about our regular business Pre-Covid, the nature of this virus being that it spreads like wildfire, we are likely to tax the entire health care system of the entire world.  Already those that need medical care for things other than Covid are being denied care.  Yes, people will die of many other things because there won't be room in hospitals to treat them if we just sit back and ignore this pandemic.  

Edited by livingonthebeach
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

CLIA (Cruise Line International Association) response to the latest CDC order 

CLIA response

Since the CLIA is an advocacy group for the cruise industry, it's incumbent upon them to defend the cruise industry.  I don't particularly agree with the CLIA's stance that the cruise industry is being singled out.  The whole "nonessential" world is closed for business. 

I'm from Florida and believe me the no-sail order affects all Floridians.  We are feeling the brunt of the pain of lost revenues to not only the cruise industry, but all industries that cater to the cruise industry i.e. airports, airlines, hotels, food services, restaurants, shops etc. etc. However, if the CDC says it's not safe to cruise at this time due to certain conditions on ships that need to be mitigated, then the cruise lines should take heed. 

The last thing we need and they need is another Diamond Princess fiasco.  There is a UBS report posted in another thread that mentions Carnival has about 12 months of liquidity to survive 0 revenue, Royal has about 10 and NCL about 7.  They might need to tap into their reserves for at least 3 more months and still be able to come out of this relatively unscathed. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

CLIA (Cruise Line International Association) response to the latest CDC order 

CLIA response

The CLIA is walking a tightrope. They need to push back and stand up for the industry. But if they piss off the powers that be they could be shut down a loooong time. Gonna be interesting to see this play out. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

The CLIA is walking a tightrope. They need to push back and stand up for the industry. But if they piss off the powers that be they could be shut down a loooong time. Gonna be interesting to see this play out. 

I don’t think it really helped the Cruise Lines with their reply. It’s like, we have no fault, we are good, blame someone else and take it out on them. 

In my opinion 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Hi Claudio:  We were with you on the 2018 British Isles cruise.  Have just found this post from you and thought I would say hello.  Hope you are well and safe.  RCI canceled our Grandeur OTS  cruise for 3/27/20 from Baltimore.  Still no refund from RCI.  We have a Carnival Sunrise cruise 5/27/20 from NYC and waiting for it to be canceled so we can get a refund.  Then we have a Celebrity cruise from Venice in Oct. 2020.  We are not too worried about this one because we only had to put down a $25 deposit each.  We did air with Celebrity and no penalty for us if we cancel before the payment date.  We really enjoyed our British Isles excursions with you.  Take Care, Carol & Roy

On 4/9/2020 at 9:44 PM, reallyitsmema said:

Yes, I posted the CDC link earlier.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/index.html?fbclid=IwAR34iirrBIz7_fiuCS6xlR72CYG7r-2CAcjM6tpOv3ebMeUw1tFXwLQxxnw

I read it as 100 days from the original date though, not 100 additional days.

I read something tonight that said 100 days from April 15th...I will try & find link but I believe it was from the CDC??? That would mean soonest they could cruise would be in July. They also have to meet a bunch of other requirements.

2 minutes ago, drafterdw said:

I read something tonight that said 100 days from April 15th...I will try & find link but I believe it was from the CDC??? That would mean soonest they could cruise would be in July. They also have to meet a bunch of other requirements.

Yes, take a look at the link and scroll down to the April 15 document.

https://www.federalregister.gov/agencies/centers-for-disease-control-and-prevention

On 4/12/2020 at 7:30 PM, bluesea321 said:

Yes, take a look at the link and scroll down to the April 15 document.

https://www.federalregister.gov/agencies/centers-for-disease-control-and-prevention

Yes,  for anyone that hasn’t read the document, the bottom line is that cruise lines are NOT sailing barring some miracle until a vaccine is available and has been disseminated to the majority of the population.

The requirements the CDC have laid out to allow the cruise ships to cruise again are incredibly stringent and would be nearly impossible to obtain short of the entire cruising industry pooling ALL of their resources to create a fleet of hospital and quarantine ships that could be sent out on a moments notice on top of upping the medical facilities and equipment to hospital staffing levels.  There are many more requirements, but the bottom line is unless Covid just randomly disappears, cruising is DONE for now.  😞

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rimmit said:

Yes,  for anyone that hasn’t read the document, the bottom line is that cruise lines are NOT sailing barring some miracle until a vaccine is available and has been disseminated to the majority of the population.

The requirements the CDC have laid out to allow the cruise ships to cruise again are incredibly stringent and would be nearly impossible to obtain short of the entire cruising industry pooling ALL of their resources to create a fleet of hospital and quarantine ships that could be sent out on a moments notice on top of upping the medical facilities and equipment to hospital staffing levels.  There are many more requirements, but the bottom line is unless Covid just randomly disappears, cruising is DONE for now.  😞

Read through the document, and was pretty wowed at what the CDC thought regarding the solutions the cruise lines would be required to do.  The CDC is really playing hardball with all of this. The CDC's position seems to be: "It's your responsibility cruise lines!.  OK, cruise lines, ball is in your court!

I do wonder if this is something the CDC has long considered regarding cruise ships.  This situation just makes it the perfect opportunity to bring some muscle to the table. Also have considered that since the cruise lines do make it a point to register their ships in other countries to avoid tax and labor practices, then this is a way to kind of play a bit of "gotcha".

Edited by denamo

Interesting article regarding the 100-day order situation from a maritime attorney's perspective:

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2020/04/articles/disease/cruise-industrys-arrogant-and-defiant-response-to-cdcs-100-day-extension-of-no-sail-order/

Edited by livingonthebeach
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I really like the line in there about how there is natural social distancing on cruise ships. Has anyone from CLIA actually been on a ship? Comments like that make them look like idiots.

And never got in line at the WJ buffet on embarkation day.  😮 😮 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, rimmit said:

In order for them to pull this off the cost would have to be passed on to the passenger in the form of some kind of medicare fee for lack of a better term.

20 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

In order for them to pull this off the cost would have to be passed on to the passenger in the form of some kind of medicare fee for lack of a better term.

Agreed.

The entire cruising industry would have to band together,  each donate at least 3 ships if not more Based on the size of their fleet (one for quarantine, one hospital, one for residential) and these ships would have to be on standby and ready to deploy in the event of an outbreak at a moments notice.  This fleet would need to be stationed on both coasts and if Asia, Europe, Oceania also decided to follow the CDC they would need to have some quarantine fleets there as well. 

The cruiselines would basically need to be an autonomous nation with its own healthcare rules, etc.  Only relying on nations for refueling and resupply including medical equipment.

The logistical operation of this is massive and not one that can be done quickly.  By the time they implement this it is likely a vaccine will be here by then.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Interesting article regarding the 100-day order situation from a maritime attorney's perspective:

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2020/04/articles/disease/cruise-industrys-arrogant-and-defiant-response-to-cdcs-100-day-extension-of-no-sail-order/

That nasty lawyer better hope the cruise industry doesn't go away -- he makes his living from suing the cruise lines.  I've read his  website over the years and he has a real beef with the cruise industry although suing the companies has made him a rich man.  .  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SherriZ366 said:

That nasty lawyer better hope the cruise industry doesn't go away -- he makes his living from suing the cruise lines.  I've read his  website over the years and he has a real beef with the cruise industry although suing the companies has made him a rich man.  .  

I've asked for years on here; point to something he was wrong about.  He deserves credit for crew advocacy as well. 

Not a single CC member has ever shown anything that Jim Walker has published has been false and/or that he has not been working on behalf of the cruising public. Why wouldn't you want a watchdog over the industry you enjoy looking to protect you? 

• Like 4