100 more days

9 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Just heard on the news that thousands of cruise employees are still quarantined on the ships from all lines.  I wouldn't think that cruising will start until early next year.  Who knows. 

Saw that. ABC reported a class action suit filed by crew to get off ship. 

16 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Now that Florida has massive layoffs (cruising and theme parks) maybe they will get the message. Florida is a month behind NY so it will take time to sink in. People here were still hopeful that the Sailings from Cape Liberty were going to happen in May. I still can't get a roll of paper towels or a can of Lysol so I don't know how they think cruising will open up overnight.

Again you go there...why do you insist on dissing Florida so much?   Florida is #3 for population in the U.S....behind California and Texas...though we are #8 for Covid-19 cases.  New York is a huge #1 for Covid-19 cases.  

So could you please get off the Florida versus NY thing?  We are all in this together...no matter what state we are in...we all need to get through this together as the United States of America.  

• Like 3

It seems that many people from the hardest hit areas of the country believe that everyone else is, or will soon be, in a similar situation as them.  Just not true.  Looks to me like population density in major urban and surrounding areas is the biggest driver.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

It seems that many people from the hardest hit areas of the country believe that everyone else is, or will soon be, in a similar situation as them.  Just not true.  Looks to me like population density in major urban and surrounding areas is the biggest driver.

Well, that and how the Governor of each state handles the situation.  HUGE "driver".

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

In California there are 69 cases per 100,000 people.

In Florida there are 109 cases per 100,000 people.

In South Dakota there are 135 cases per 100,000 people.

There are different ways to define "hardest hit."

• Like 2

The first two cases of COVID19 here that were admitted to local hospitals, had ties to NYC. One was from NYC bailing out to get away from COVID19 but instead likely passed it on to many. The other had just returned from a recent business trip to NYC. One continues in ICU today. On my motorcycle excursions, I see a lot of out of state tags (NY/NJ/CT/PA). We don’t normally see these after Easter.

1 minute ago, Pratique said:

In California there are 69 cases per 100,000 people.

In Florida there are 109 cases per 100,000 people.

In South Dakota there are 135 cases per 100,000 people.

There are different ways to define "hardest hit."

Not to mention that South Dakota isn't expected to maneuver 100,000 people per week through their airports and cities to board cruise ships.

It's not really Florida bashing, it's just the reality of the situation; Florida won't be ready or able anytime soon.

• Like 2

I'm defining hardest hit as absolute numbers.  I'm thinking of this at a city level, not a state level.  Of course, major cities are part of their state's numbers.  Here are the states with more than 20K cases:

image.png.cf3a870593aabe7774ffcab39f69cc8e.png

I would assume (I haven't tried to verify this) that New York is mostly NYC, new Jersey is mostly NYC, Massachusetts is mostly Boston, Michigan is mostly Detroit, Pennsylvania is mostly Philly, California is mostly LA/SF, Illinois is mostly Chicago, Florida is mostly Miami, Louisiana is mostly New Orleans.  I include the surrounding metro areas when I list each city.  If you were to remove the results of these cities, the rest of these states would look a lot better. 

How well social distancing works in major metro areas, often driven by how Governors react as pcur noted, is definitely a big factor.  Much harder to maintain social distancing in a more crowded space than a less crowded space.  There are other major US cities that are not on my list above.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

How well social distancing works in major metro areas, often driven by how Governors react as pcur noted, is definitely a big factor.  Much harder to maintain social distancing in a more crowded space than a less crowded space.  There are other major US cities that are not on my list above.

There is little doubt that density plays a factor and that urban areas have greater absolute numbers, but the per capita numbers are relevant for comparison because every state and city has a different size and population. In any event, it's almost impossible to travel without passing through a densely populated area, potentially picking up the virus and spreading it from there. That's why people are concerned that places that have not been hit hard yet will be unless the restrictions remain in place. And even in places like Sioux Falls, the absolute numbers are in a sense devastating. It shut down one of the largest employers.

21 hours ago, Jobeth66 said:

Same with Alaska - Alaska is requiring a 14-day self-quarantine.  I have a cruise tour booked in June that currently would require me to arrive in Alaska around June 8th for a June 22nd start.  Not feasible.

But cruising won't start in PR before it starts in FL, it's still a US port.  If one of the non-US Caribbean islands wants to allow cruises to leave from their ports, that would be on them - but I just don't see it happening.

Can you share a source for the 14-day self-quarantine? 

2 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Can you share a source for the 14-day self-quarantine? 

https://www.alaskapublic.org/2020/03/23/dunleavy-administration-mandates-two-week-quarantine-for-people-flying-into-alaska/

Other states are doing the same, including Florida and Hawai'i, though some are only requiring self-quarantine for residents of certain states.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/which-states-now-require-domestic-travelers-to-self-quarantine/ar-BB12c8QW

14 minutes ago, Jobeth66 said:

https://www.alaskapublic.org/2020/03/23/dunleavy-administration-mandates-two-week-quarantine-for-people-flying-into-alaska/

Other states are doing the same, including Florida and Hawai'i, though some are only requiring self-quarantine for residents of certain states.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/which-states-now-require-domestic-travelers-to-self-quarantine/ar-BB12c8QW

Texas is requiring self quarantine for people arriving  from California; Louisiana; Washington; Atlanta, Ga.; Chicago, Ill.; Detroit, Mich.; Miami, Fl, and the Tri-State area

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

As well as how early they went into lock down.  The west coast moved fairly quickly (largely driven by the early deaths in Washington), as a result numbers are much better than they could have been, even in areas like SF and LA.

19 minutes ago, Jobeth66 said:

Hawaii is even requiring quarantine for people traveling between the islands, not just those flying in from outside the state.

5 hours ago, island lady said:

Again you go there...why do you insist on dissing Florida so much?   Florida is #3 for population in the U.S....behind California and Texas...though we are #8 for Covid-19 cases.  New York is a huge #1 for Covid-19 cases.  

So could you please get off the Florida versus NY thing?  We are all in this together...no matter what state we are in...we all need to get through this together as the United States of America.  

I wouldn't take it as Florida dissing or Florida vs NY. As you can see on this forum, many people are wondering if they'll be able to cruise in June. As Florida is the cruise capital of the world and still working it's way up the dreaded curve - at least I think it is, the models change daily - its fair to point out that the state is not ready for the influx of tourist any time soon.

Although I would have to say that earlier images of Florida State Police checking license plates at the border while allowing people to party on the beaches certainly gave the impression that some state officials might not be taking the situation serious enough.

In the meanwhile, looks like Orlando is gearing up to reopen. Hope they don't pick a date that's "too soon" (whatever that means).

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/04/16/heres-who-will-guide-orange-county-in-reopening-their-businesses/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

On my motorcycle excursions, I see a lot of out of state tags (NY/NJ/CT/PA)

I always thought half the population in Florida was from those 4 states.  The other half is from Cuba. And the third half were born in the state.

My math might be off a bit. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/9/2020 at 10:14 PM, piano said:

So does this mean no cruising for 100 days from the March order date?  So we are looking at June for the earliest sail?

the way I read it was an additional 100 days starting April 15 which would put 1st sailings in July.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I always thought half the population in Florida was from those 4 states.  The other half is from Cuba. And the third half were born in the state.

My math might be off a bit. 😉

I was born here.

Residents of the four states above can’t get rid of those plates fast enough if they move here because of the high taxes in their home state. 

We haven’t had a large immigration of Cubans in some time. South Florida has a little bit of everyone. Orlando has a larger than average Puerto Rico base after the Hurricane. 

In my opinion. 

• Like 2

Unfortunately these are now the divided states of America. We "should" have had a federal stay at home order covering all 50 states. No state is safe or "out of the woods". This virus reaches every inch of the globe. Look at these large meat processors in "rural" states. So long as people continue to live their lives as if nothing is going on, this virus will prevail. Its utterly naive to think otherwise. Science is based on research, facts and reality. Seeing people protesting in any state is lunacy. It's very unfortunate how misinformed some are in our country.

• Like 2