100 more days

53 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I wouldn't take it as Florida dissing or Florida vs NY. As you can see on this forum, many people are wondering if they'll be able to cruise in June. As Florida is the cruise capital of the world and still working it's way up the dreaded curve - at least I think it is, the models change daily - its fair to point out that the state is not ready for the influx of tourist any time soon.

Although I would have to say that earlier images of Florida State Police checking license plates at the border while allowing people to party on the beaches certainly gave the impression that some state officials might not be taking the situation serious enough.

In the meanwhile, looks like Orlando is gearing up to reopen. Hope they don't pick a date that's "too soon" (whatever that means).

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/04/16/heres-who-will-guide-orange-county-in-reopening-their-businesses/

The poster I quoted has several times in other threads indeed dissed the way our state is run.  This horrible virus is in every one of our 50 states.  Florida is not perfect, ....can you tell me which one is?  As of this date...it is also not the state with the most Corona virus cases either.  

My point was that we are all in this together...and should be helping each other...not tearing each other apart in the blame game.  

And thanks for the link...but I live here, and have been for 30 years...not news to me.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I'm defining hardest hit as absolute numbers.  I'm thinking of this at a city level, not a state level.  Of course, major cities are part of their state's numbers.  Here are the states with more than 20K cases:

image.png.cf3a870593aabe7774ffcab39f69cc8e.png

I would assume (I haven't tried to verify this) that New York is mostly NYC, new Jersey is mostly NYC, Massachusetts is mostly Boston, Michigan is mostly Detroit, Pennsylvania is mostly Philly, California is mostly LA/SF, Illinois is mostly Chicago, Florida is mostly Miami, Louisiana is mostly New Orleans.  I include the surrounding metro areas when I list each city.  If you were to remove the results of these cities, the rest of these states would look a lot better. 

How well social distancing works in major metro areas, often driven by how Governors react as pcur noted, is definitely a big factor.  Much harder to maintain social distancing in a more crowded space than a less crowded space.  There are other major US cities that are not on my list above.

Yes, this one the sites I been watching last month. Florida's numbers in Pop is about half the National average, ranking 20th State in numbers 1 per million. Still planning on taking my Fall Cruises out FLL. But was to Fly into Michigan next week staying there threw Aug, going wait awhile...

Edited by ONECRUISER

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I would assume (I haven't tried to verify this) that New York is mostly NYC, new Jersey is mostly NYC,

94% of the cases in New York State are in NYC and the immediate surround suburbs (Long Island, Westchester, Rockland and several other counties within commuting distance.

I would think that NJ numbers are also heavily influenced by NYC to the north and Philly to the south.

26 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

94% of the cases in New York State are in NYC and the immediate surround suburbs (Long Island, Westchester, Rockland and several other counties within commuting distance.

I would think that NJ numbers are also heavily influenced by NYC to the north and Philly to the south.

In NJ, the further north towards NYC you are the worse it is.  Here is the NJ website I follow each day of the cases separated by county.  It will give anyone interested, a look at where the most cases in NJ are.

https://covid19.nj.gov/#live-updates

I am in Central NJ, but it has hit home as I personally know people with the virus, including my primary care doctor in the ICU, and my lawn guy (you can imagine what my lawn looks like without mowing). I also had an uncle, in his 90's and in an assisted living facility, pass away that tested positive.

48 minutes ago, soremekun said:

Hmmm.  I have a paid-in-full cruise on Oasis for July 25.  Flights are also paid.  We'll see if it happens.  If the ship is sailing, I'll be on it.

I have 4 rooms on Symphony the same day!! Like you, if she sails I’ll be there, if not I’ll take my refund. Already had another couple traveling with us cancel 2 rooms just this week for the refund prior to final payment 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluesea321 said:

Any one that thinks the CDC is not serious about cruise ships may want to read this article in Business Week; particularly the comments by Cindy Friedman, the epidemiologist who leads the CDC’s cruise ship task force.

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2020-carnival-cruise-coronavirus/?srnd=businessweek-v2

I was watching Bloomberg this morning when they referenced this article on their website.

Yes, an article as damning as the CDC order itself.

8 hours ago, island lady said:

Again you go there...why do you insist on dissing Florida so much?   Florida is #3 for population in the U.S....behind California and Texas...though we are #8 for Covid-19 cases.  New York is a huge #1 for Covid-19 cases.  

So could you please get off the Florida versus NY thing?  We are all in this together...no matter what state we are in...we all need to get through this together as the United States of America.  

I was referring that the mass layoffs in Florida would be a sign for the rest of the the cruising population that cruising won't start up anytime soon since Florida is a major cruise embarkation state. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I was referring that the mass layoffs in Florida would be a sign for the rest of the the cruising population that cruising won't start up anytime soon since Florida is a major cruise embarkation state. 

Harley-Davidson laid off a large amount of their employees. I guess it was expected since they more or less shut down middle of March. 

2 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

I was watching Bloomberg this morning when they referenced this article on their website.

Yes, an article as damning as the CDC order itself.

Indeed an interesting article:  https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2020-carnival-cruise-coronavirus/?srnd=businessweek-v2

I'd say looking at the trends we are more than 100days from doing those fun things like cruising, I only hope we have some slow ramp up by than.  Look at China they had three months on us and they are only just starting!

Newcases.JPG

• Like 1

8 hours ago, island lady said:

The poster I quoted has several times in other threads indeed dissed the way our state is run.  This horrible virus is in every one of our 50 states.  Florida is not perfect, ....can you tell me which one is?  As of this date...it is also not the state with the most Corona virus cases either.  

My point was that we are all in this together...and should be helping each other...not tearing each other apart in the blame game.  

And thanks for the link...but I live here, and have been for 30 years...not news to me.  

Well said Pat.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SherriZ366 said:

Well said Pat.

Fla., well Jacksonville anyway is opening beaches today, so they are taking the first steps. Time will tell that's for sure.

Hopefully it works out and that 1 step forward doesn't lead to 3 steps back. Everything is a crap shoot.

• Like 1

Of course the places that are the least densely populated appear to have more cases, but all states have deliveries, transportation and interstate travel- no state is truly immune- unless perhaps you live in the forest off the grid and grow your own food, etc.  We all should stay home as much as possible.  The virus will hit those more rural states also with a fury.

On 4/15/2020 at 4:12 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

I see so many comments from people saying something similar to cruising will be back sooner than you think.

As many people think there won't be any cruises for a year or longer, I think it will be back sooner than they think.

On 4/15/2020 at 4:12 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

It’s like they don’t know what is going on in the world today. 

I know. Curves are flattening, frightening number of cases and deaths are constantly being revised downward, countries that were in dire circumstances 2 weeks ago are gradually reopening their economies, rapid testing is being expanded, the stock market is up 30% from it's March low.

It's not all rainbow and unicorns however. My state just extended stay-at-home orders until mid-May and require facial coverings when out in public. There is still a long way to go and things can go backwards in a hurry. But I do believe things are getting better and its not the end of the world like some here like to believe.

On 4/16/2020 at 12:48 PM, island lady said:

That same posters you quoted that is slamming Florida will possibly migrate to Florida from New York when they retire. 😉

• Like 2

I guess I missed the Florida-slamming posts. Maybe deleted?

I do see plenty of posts from people that seem to be on edge or extra sensitive. Possible withdrawal symptoms  from missing the nightly happy hour in the DL?🤣🤣🤣

Edited by HBE4

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I guess I missed the Florida-slamming posts. Maybe deleted?

I do see plenty of posts from people that seem to be on edge or extra sensitive. Possible withdrawal symptoms  from missing the nightly happy hour in the DL?🤣🤣🤣

Well, it is kind of a pain in the a$$ having to make my own drinks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/12/2020 at 10:56 AM, lizzie_m said:

Just found out there may be hope on the airfare.  I checked to see if our flights were still on and lo and behold our flight from here to Amsterdam has been cancelled.  Flight back from Amsterdam is still showing.  Airline never notified me of the cancellation.  According to the 4/3 notification from the DOT we can get a refund (in the form of original payment) NOT a voucher since the airline cancelled the flight.  We'll see what hoops I have to go through to get a refund.

Followup.  Called Delta refund phone number on Wed. afternoon.  Lovely lady named Victoria processed by refund in less that 10 min. & immediately emailed confirmation of the refund.  She said, however, that it may take up to 2 billing cycles for my credit card to post the refund.  Lo and behold, my credit card posted the refund later that same afternoon.

Hopefully, when Royal cancels the cruise getting my refund will be just as easy.

19 hours ago, HBE4 said:

But at least you are guaranteed a seat by the window.

Sometimes like the quiet, just re booked a Flight, nobody allowed in the row in front of me, behind me and I'm exit row window. With restrictions no drinks or snacks served either. Should be an interesting Flight

2 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Sometimes like the quiet, just re booked a Flight, nobody allowed in the row in front of me, behind me and I'm exit row window. With restrictions no drinks or snacks served either. Should be an interesting Flight

Just got an email from Delta that they are eliminating middle seat bookings....oh Boo..Hooo!!  How disappointing...just adore those middle seats!  😜

• Like 1