Anyone over 70 still booking cruises?

49 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I figured they have fake service animals I’m sure someone can make up a fake Doctor. I hope they can afford the malpractice insurance. 

In my opinion 

Somehow I don’t think Dr. Pepper carries medmal.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, blueridgemama said:

So if this requirement is still in effect for our cruise and our Dr does not feel comfortable signing the letter will our cruise be cancelled? (We are both over 70, healthy with no serious medical conditions) If cancelled for that reason would we get a refund?

Roysl has stated that those over 70 who cannot sail for medical reasons will be allowed to transfer their FCC to someone else.  To me that implies no refunds. 

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I figured they have fake service animals I’m sure someone can make up a fake Doctor. I hope they can afford the malpractice insurance. 

In my opinion 

Malpractice would come in if you sue your dr. Rci wants the letter as a defense against your action against them. Prob already covered in the cruise contract.

14 minutes ago, Houndfish said:

Malpractice would come in if you sue your dr. Rci wants the letter as a defense against your action against them. Prob already covered in the cruise contract.

It was all really just tongue and cheek as some were wanting to sign their own forms. A few on here could do that (not me) but I have connections. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PattiHere said:

....Just wondering if any other over 70 year old people are still booking a cruise......

We are done cruising.  Way too much impending hassle. 

We have no interest in booking cruises, but may book a cruise just to use our FCC before end of 2021.

IMHO, Royal will need much time to return to former self.... after flu passes.

Even then, it may take months to re-assemble crews, and entertainment casts, etc.

Basically, the cruise experience will not be as 'care-free and fun as before'.... for a long time.

Never say never!

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your replies.   I want to continue cruising, just wasn't sure if I was the only one wanting to still book cruises, and since I am over 70 the letter had me concerned.

I want to go on living until I die, I am not going to sit around and worry about what may happen, life is too short.  Just hope this letter is no longer an issue, only thing that would prevent me from getting on a ship if my doctor decided not to sign it since she does not agree with the wording.   

So looking forward to being back on a ship, my happy place.  Life is always changing, I have been here for over 70 years, and life is very different from the way it was in the fifties, nothing stays the same, we just change with it.   Cruising is different than my first cruise, but I still love being on the open sea.   

• Like 3

I find it interesting that people will not cruise until a vaccine for COVID-19 is available. Having been a physician for 30+ years there have been many virus issues and they will continue. I agree everyone should be cautious but cruising is inherently risky regarding infectious diseases due to the close quarters and unsanitary practices of our fellow cruisers. Think Norovirus which has no vaccine and seasonal flu viruses which get missed by the CDC vaccine choices every year. I have even heard that COVID-19 may be mutating quickly which will make a vaccine difficult.

Chris

32 minutes ago, PattiHere said:

Thank you everyone for your replies.   I want to continue cruising, just wasn't sure if I was the only one wanting to still book cruises, and since I am over 70 the letter had me concerned.

I want to go on living until I die, I am not going to sit around and worry about what may happen, life is too short.  Just hope this letter is no longer an issue, only thing that would prevent me from getting on a ship if my doctor decided not to sign it since she does not agree with the wording.   

So looking forward to being back on a ship, my happy place.  Life is always changing, I have been here for over 70 years, and life is very different from the way it was in the fifties, nothing stays the same, we just change with it.   Cruising is different than my first cruise, but I still love being on the open sea.   

My mom is 86 and the same similar attitude. She wants to still go out. I believe she feels she has had a good life and she is not worried about getting COVID19. If it is her time, it’s her time, she’s ready, especially since we lost Dad in 2016. However, having said this, her attitude is very self centered and selfish. My SO is a Doctor and rounds 3 hospitals each day and at times is consulted for COVID19 patients. My son is an ICU Nurse at Miami Jackson with a specialty in Respiratory Care (Ventilators) and breathing treatment. It’s selfish for her to not consider those that must treat her if she gets COVID19. I told her this. We told her this.  

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, work2cruis said:

I find it interesting that people will not cruise until a vaccine for COVID-19 is available. Having been a physician for 30+ years there have been many virus issues and they will continue. I agree everyone should be cautious but cruising is inherently risky regarding infectious diseases due to the close quarters and unsanitary practices of our fellow cruisers. Think Norovirus which has no vaccine and seasonal flu viruses which get missed by the CDC vaccine choices every year. I have even heard that COVID-19 may be mutating quickly which will make a vaccine difficult.

Chris

Even when a vaccine is available. How many will take it? Every year the flu vaccine is available for free and how many do not get it even though you see signs everywhere. Get your flu shot. More people die from the common flu than anything else. The common flu makes this virus look tiny in comparison.

This article should put some light on the subject.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/02/01/coronavirus-flu-deadlier-more-widespread-than-wuhan-china-virus/4632508002/

I used our FCCs for February in Harmony. I’ll be 84 and DH 87. He walks 3 miles every morning and shorter walks every afternoon.
I don’t, but I do play Bunco and Mexican Train, which is enough exercise for me.
I want to cruise as long as we can.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 1

I am not 70, but I think it’s terrible they set that criteria since anyone of any age can be sick, this virus clearly isn’t discriminating by age as originally assumed, and it is discriminatory against a group of people without truly good cause. And people over 70 are quite capable of making their own decisions for their lives and they have thwt right. 

I don’t know if those over 70 are irritated by all of this, but I am irritated on your behalf (everyone should be, if not as a result of empathy then with the recognition that most of us will be in your position one day).

Edited by AlohaLivin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Even when a vaccine is available. How many will take it? Every year the flu vaccine is available for free and how many do not get it even though you see signs everywhere. Get your flu shot. More people die from the common flu than anything else. The common flu makes this virus look tiny in comparison.

This article should put some light on the subject.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/02/01/coronavirus-flu-deadlier-more-widespread-than-wuhan-china-virus/4632508002/

Ok - read the article.  So then why was it necessary to lock everything down???

NJ 

My doctor is a cruiser and he said he would NOT sign a cruise line form indicating a health assessment for anyone over 70 to go on a cruise.

It was also his opinion that very few doctors would sign such a form.

I feel everyone should contact their doctor .... then you would know what to do if this form is a requirement.

Heres the thing:  In life, there are NO guarantees.  A person has his annual check up with his doctor, who says, you are in great shape!!!  The man, on the way home, has a massive heart attack and dies...….how about this:  How about having the cruise lines give US a paper saying that we will NOT contact any disease while on their ship, due to sanitation issues????  Get my drift?  THERE ARE NOT GUARANTEES IN LIFE!!!  just death and taxes!!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, AlohaLivin said:

I am not 70, but I think it’s terrible they set that criteria since anyone of any age can be sick, this virus clearly isn’t discriminating by age as originally assumed, and it is discriminatory against a group of people without truly good cause. And people over 70 are quite capable of making their own decisions for their lives and they have thwt right. 

I don’t know if those over 70 are irritated by all of this, but I am irritated on your behalf (everyone should be, if not as a result of empathy then with the recognition that most of us will be in your position one day).

Irritated isn't the word I would use right now.  We have a yearly doctors appointment coming up in 2 months and we shall see what he says.  Doubtful he will sign, not because we aren't healthy, but you cannot predict what the future holds.  I am going to ask him if he would write his own note saying as of that visit we are physically able and healthy to take a cruise but he cannot predict how sick anyone will be if they get the virus. Maybe I will call RC and ask if that would be sufficient. lol :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 12:56 PM, destiny217 said:

We are both in our 70's.  Our May cruise on Oasis was cancelled.  Requested our refund on March 27 (still not received~~ they said 30-days, so they still have time).  Would have done the FCC if it were not for the medical letter.  Our doctor said no way for signing that.  Before this we travelled all the time.  We think we are healthy enough.  When could you ever use the FCC?

Sadly, just cancelled our September cruise out of NYC since final payment is almost due.  The NY/NJ area is just too risky.  They said 90-days for refund.  Sure hope the cruise industry survives this.  There are so many new ships on the books. 🤞

We love cruising and hopefully will be able to cruise again.

Stay Healthy!

Same here...we have a August cruise booked out of Bayonne.   Going to cancel.

Thought about taking FRCC and book in 2021, but we will be 70 then.

So cruising is over for us....we are Diamond +, and now that we have more leisure time we were looking at taking more cruises per year.

• Like 2