So exactly how much money do you have tied up right now with bookings?

mek

$3750 for 2 cabins on cxld Freedom 3/29 cruise

$750 deposit for 2 cabins on May 2021 Empress cruise  (I cxld end March)

$400 deposit for 3 cabins on Oct 2020 Oasis cruise  (i cxld a few days ago after deciding cruising with Royal is over for me )

I doubt any cruiseline is handling this situation perfectly but I can only judge based on how Royal is treating me regarding communication on these refunds. I told my TA once cruising resumes we can discuss non Royal options...time for me to try another line. 

Being a current Diamond member does not matter , I do not stay in bad relationships.  I will start from cruise 1 with another line and give them a chance to earn my business.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LINDAE3213 said:

$3750 for 2 cabins on cxld Freedom 3/29 cruise

$750 deposit for 2 cabins on May 2021 Empress cruise  (I cxld end March)

$400 deposit for 3 cabins on Oct 2020 Oasis cruise  (i cxld a few days ago after deciding cruising with Royal is over for me )

I doubt any cruiseline is handling this situation perfectly but I can only judge based on how Royal is treating me regarding communication on these refunds. I told my TA once cruising resumes we can discuss non Royal options...time for me to try another line. 

Being a current Diamond member does not matter , I do not stay in bad relationships.  I will start from cruise 1 with another line and give them a chance to earn my business.

The problem is I think you will have to look far and long for any other line that is doing a much better job right now with refunds.  Not defending Royal or any other line - it's just  currently the reality of the situation.  When it's all over - that will be the time for me to make a decision if I even want to cruise again and with whom. 

Edited by mek
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

It boggles my mind how many people book using NRD's.  Just book group space as far out as you can through a reputable TA that will have a refundable deposit.   That's  what I have on my late June and  August  cruises. As well as my two in 2021 and my one in 2022.

If you book any category higher than a Junior Suite you can't book a refundable deposit. So, for some, NRD is the only option. 

• Like 1

$3500.  $2400 for a cancelled cruise that I want a refund on and another $1000 in future deposits. And they are all NRD.  We will probably never use NRD again.

Plus $750 for airfare that can be used in the future but I can’t get a refund for.

I also have money tied up in 2 air Bnb’s for about $1000.  Yikes that’s over 5K. Wish I hadn’t added it up.

We are not wealthy but do like to plan ahead and travel.  Maybe that’s not such a great idea anymore.

• 7 night FCC (March cancelled)
  • 4 night August 2020 - non-refundable deposit but 'next cruise' messed up and we paid much more deposit than we should have (most likely will cancel so required deposit as FCC, rest should be refunded).  Also have excursion and drink package booked.
  • 7 night Dec 2020 - non-refundable deposit + two excursions booked
  • 7 night Mar 2021 - refundable deposit
  • 5 night Aug 2021 - refundable deposit
  • 7 night Mar 2022 - refundable deposit

All cruises are for our family of 4.  So overall it adds up.

Hoping cruises survive all of this...not just for our financial loss, but for overall cruising is the best vacation and nothing even comes close.

Edited by LuCruise

FCC - $3200 RCCL CDN <--- Used to book Dec cruise

MSC deposit (non reunfable) $98 CDN <-- August 2021

NCL CN certifcates (do these count) $500 USD  - expires in 2022

Edited by xcell

5 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

It boggles my mind how many people book using NRD's.  

Same! I kept a spreadsheet of every cruise I was considering taking over a 2 year period and the highest fee to get the refundable fare only cost $203 total for two people. All you have to do is check the box at the end of the reservation and pay $203. $203 for complete flexibility over your reservation in case you want to change anything or cancel. $203!!!!!! Why would anyone ever give up that kind of flexibility to save $203 bucks?

I always pay the higher price for flexibility, and frankly, would still pay it even if the fee was $1,000. I also buy cancel for any reason insurance, which cost me another $251, so for $454 I bought myself peace of mind that was worth every penny and I had zero stress going through this coronavirus uncertainty knowing I had a backup plan!

For a JS on a 12-day out of Amsterdam, plus the Chef's Table, Royal Lunch, and all of our excursions, slightly under $7k. And, we haven't even booked flights yet.

Edited by johnjen

19 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Same! I kept a spreadsheet of every cruise I was considering taking over a 2 year period and the highest fee to get the refundable fare only cost $203 total for two people. All you have to do is check the box at the end of the reservation and pay $203. $203 for complete flexibility over your reservation in case you want to change anything or cancel. $203!!!!!! Why would anyone ever give up that kind of flexibility to save $203 bucks?

I always pay the higher price for flexibility, and frankly, would still pay it even if the fee was $1,000. I also buy cancel for any reason insurance, which cost me another $251, so for $454 I bought myself peace of mind that was worth every penny and I had zero stress going through this coronavirus uncertainty knowing I had a backup plan!

While this may work for you it doesn't for anyone who books a cabin category above a Junior Suite where NRD is the only option. As you're well aware from your posts in other threads Cancel for Any Reason insurance is not available in every state. 

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I have a CL and a Grand suite booked for my next cruise on Oasis. A refundable deposit was not an option.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

While this may work for you it doesn't for anyone who books a cabin category above a Junior Suite where NRD is the only option. As you're well aware from your posts in other threads Cancel for Any Reason insurance is not available in every state. 

True, people who book Suites and people who live in New York are excluded.....I’m guessing that’s a low percentage of the people on here talking about losing their non refundable deposits and not being able to get their cruise fare back. 

There are 49 other states, and a whole lot more rooms on a cruise ship that aren’t suites. $203 bucks guys. You’re losing your money over $203 bucks. 

Edited by ARandomTraveler

7 minutes ago, cured said:

I have a CL and a Grand suite booked for my next cruise on Oasis. A refundable deposit was not an option.

Do you also live in New York? If so, you’re in quite the unlucky predicament. I understand Suites don’t have the option, however, it was your choice to book a suite, knowing it excluded you from the refundable deposit option. 

3 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Do you also live in New York? If so, you’re in quite the unlucky predicament. I understand Suites don’t have the option, however, it was your choice to book a suite, knowing it excluded you from the refundable deposit option. 

Fully aware of that. You were the one who said that you couldn't believe people would not book refundable deposits.  While I would love that option, it was not available. Never said it wasn't my choice, it was absolutely my choice.

And nope, not in NY

• Like 1

Ok, I'll join in.....

Cancelled 3/22 Anthem cruise - awaiting $1434 FCC and refund of taxes/port fees.

9 other cruises booked through 3/2022, 6 GS or above, 2 SS on Celebrity, 1 IV on Apex

~$8400 in NRD 

~1800 in cruise planner purchases.

My bigger concern is deciding whether to make final payments to preserve the possibility of a cash refund, especially for Harmony 8/2020.

mac_tlc

Just now, cured said:

Fully aware of that. You were the one who said that you couldn't believe people would not book refundable deposits.  While I would love that option, it was not available. Never said it wasn't my choice, it was absolutely my choice.

And nope, not in NY

But it was available, if you booked another room.

I see what you’re saying though, you’re just pointing out that because you wanted a suite, you didn’t have the option to pay extra to make the deposit refundable. And also that you were okay with that risk. 

10 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I have no problem with NRD's. Most sailing I've been interested in the difference is multiples of $200. If I am going to book it, I'm going. If I'm not sure, I'll pass on booking. If you book on board, you are only on the hook for $100pp.

One size does not fit all and I am fine with the minimal risk.

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc

1 minute ago, mac_tlc said:

Ok, I'll join in.....

Cancelled 3/22 Anthem cruise - awaiting $1434 FCC and refund of taxes/port fees.

9 other cruises booked through 3/2022, 6 GS or above, 2 SS on Celebrity, 1 IV on Apex

~$8400 in NRD 

~1800 in cruise planner purchases.

My bigger concern is deciding whether to make final payments to preserve the possibility of a cash refund, especially for Harmony 8/2020.

mac_tlc

I say no. Cut your losses, you’re throwing good money after bad in hopes of winning on a gamble. You were willing to lose the deposit when you booked non refundable, so take the loss and wipe your hands of it. 

If you pay final payment, and things don’t get cancelled as you hope, will you be upset that you’re stuck having to cancel it yourself and will only get an FCC instead of getting your cash back? If so, cut your losses now. That’s my advice, but I tend to take the safe route. 

3 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

I have no problem with NRD's. Most sailing I've been interested in the difference is multiples of $200. If I am going to book it, I'm going. If I'm not sure, I'll pass on booking. If you book on board, you are only on the hook for $100pp.

One size does not fit all and I am fine with the minimal risk.

mac_tlc

If you’re fine with minimal risk then why are you considering paying a final payment on a cruise just to maybe get that $200 back? That doesn’t sound like the actions of someone whose ok losing $200, or whatever your “minimal risk” was. 

2 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I say no. Cut your losses, you’re throwing good money after bad in hopes of winning on a gamble. You were willing to lose the deposit when you booked non refundable, so take the loss and wipe your hands of it. 

If you pay final payment, and things don’t get cancelled as you hope, will you be upset that you’re stuck having to cancel it yourself and will only get an FCC instead of getting your cash back? If so, cut your losses now. That’s my advice, but I tend to take the safe route. 

That is the conundrum. Under the CWC program, I would preserve an FCC for all of it, and everyone that would get one has a future cruise booked in 2021 that they could hopefully use it on.

Edited by mac_tlc

1 minute ago, ARandomTraveler said:

If you’re fine with minimal risk then why are you considering paying a final payment on a cruise just to maybe get that $200 back? That doesn’t sound like the actions of someone whose ok losing $200, or whatever your “minimal risk” was. 

Because the NRD on the Harmony cruise is for 8 people and totals $2000. 

• Like 1

Just now, mac_tlc said:

That is the conundrum. Under the CWC program, I would preserve an FCC for all of it, and everyone that would get one has a future cruise booked in 2021 that they could hopefully use it on.

“Hopefully” is the key word here. I say cancel now. Sucks to give money away when there’s a possibility you might get it back. But if it were me I’d rather just wipe my hands of it now. 

9 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

Because the NRD on the Harmony cruise is for 8 people and totals $2000. 

Ok so my point is and was, people like yourself are giving up their flexibility and cancellation options because they don’t want to consider the extra $101.50/person as part of the real price of the cruise. You’re taking the discount in exchange for a risk that it turns out, doesn’t sound like it was worth it. I don’t know, I’m just saying if it were me, I’d pay the extra cost for refundable, even if it made my cruise fare twice as high, AND/OR would have bought the cancel for any reason insurance to cover the non refundable part, OR, would have settled myself to be ok losing all the non refundable money. 

I don’t think you’re ok with it, because if you were, you wouldn’t be chasing that non refundable money by paying final payment on a cruise in hopes it gets cancelled so you can get your cash back. Right now, if you cancel your cruise, you still get an FCC for the deposit that you can use on the 2021 cruises. The ONLY reason you have for trying to gamble on the August 2020 on Harmony cruise, as you said yourself, is hoping to get your cash back if they cancel. Not worth it, but that’s just me. 

Just trying to help you think this through on the final payment thing.