Disney World & Universal Orlando Theme Parks Reopening Roadmap Includes 50% Capacity In First Phase

RICCruisers

28 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

On most rides and attractions, staying 6 feet apart really not possible.

If it means a way to open and operate, Disney will find a way to accomplish this.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

I’m not seeing the connection to Celebrity so maybe this should go on a different board or on Tripadvisor?

I can't begin to tell you how many times I have read posts on CC asking about pre/post cruise visits to Disney.  I seem to recall that you can even book an excursion on RCCL site to Disney.  Since Celebrity is scheduled to sail from Tampa there may be excursions to Disney.  Any positive thread with a little humor included works for me.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

I’m not seeing the connection to Celebrity so maybe this should go on a different board or on Tripadvisor?

Apologies for jumping in to the OP's post on Disney re-opening which I think is definitely a relevant topic here.  But Yes to your question.   Probably so in normal times it should go to a different part of CC or TA.  And apologies to the OP as some of us are trying to be a bit positive going off topic here and there and offer some silliness.  Should we go back to the medical form over 70 discussion?  Or maybe resurrect the Edge infinite veranda controversy?  Or footstools?  We got nuthen' betta ta do! 😁  Have the best day possible!

Edited by TeeRick
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, RichYak said:

How Disney handles the re-opening of theme parks provides insight into how cruise lines like Celebrity will need to as well. Operating at 50% capacity to start and employees wearing masks are examples of things one might expect to see with the first few months of sailings.

I'm not arguing it may be like that, but IMHO it doesn't matter very much how much they reduce the capacity.  It is still an enclosed environment where there is really no way to effectively social distance.  Most people use the elevators for example.  Can they really imagine an atmosphere where tables are 6' or more apart, as well as bar seats, and seats in the theater, and deck chairs?  Do they book people in every other cabin or prohibit you from going out on your balcony as you may be too close to your neighbor on theirs?  Do they close intimate venues like Michaels Club aka the Retreat Lounge?  All of these might help, but would not be enough.  And who in their right mind would want to go on a cruise like this??? 

18 hours ago, dandee2 said:

I don't see any oversea tourist going to Disney or having a cruise this year unless they are willing to stay home 14 days after returning from abroad.

No 14 day quarantine in the UK,yet.

13 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I'm not arguing it may be like that, but IMHO it doesn't matter very much how much they reduce the capacity.  It is still an enclosed environment where there is really no way to effectively social distance.  Most people use the elevators for example.  Can they really imagine an atmosphere where tables are 6' or more apart, as well as bar seats, and seats in the theater, and deck chairs?  Do they book people in every other cabin or prohibit you from going out on your balcony as you may be too close to your neighbor on theirs?  Do they close intimate venues like Michaels Club aka the Retreat Lounge?  All of these might help, but would not be enough.  And who in their right mind would want to go on a cruise like this??? 

Sounds like bliss😁

3 hours ago, DWhit said:

Imagine the horror of going on the Jungle Cruise, and not being allowed to dock due to virus concerns.   Two weeks of those corny jokes could do you in ☺️ !

2 weeks in its a small world😂

10 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I personally wouldn't go on a cruise like you describe. Unfortunately, It's my opinion that much of what you listed will, in fact, be implemented. Tables 6' apart. No bar seats at all. At least half the deck chairs will be put away in storage. Hot tubs drained and closed. Pools and theater capacity controlled. Ships will sail, but it won't be much fun. Again, this is all conjecture on my part. I wouldn't book another cruise until I read passenger reviews of the new "experience" once ships resume sailing.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I think this is largely what you will see when they restart.  Can't imagine a more undesirable way to travel.  And to add fuel to the fire, likely short cruises from Florida either to nowhere or to private island.

Thanks, I will enthusiastically stay home.  Even with a Shelter in Place order.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2020 at 7:40 PM, cruisestitch said:

How is this a Celebrity Cruise issue?🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

It's actually related to amusement/attraction/leisure activities and businesses all over Florida, including cruises.  The theme parks provide added incentive for visitors to come to Florida (home to several of X's most popular ports) and even to come to the U.S.  There are discussions in many travel, cruise and Disney-centric online forums that discuss how to plan a cruise+parks vacation or how to get to/from the ports to Disney World.  Traveling a great distance to go on a cruise is made even more attractive by being able to add a week on to the front and back and visit these popular attractions.  The theme parks may even be the primary destination, with the cruise being the add-on because "we'll just be a couple of hours from Miami/Ft. Lauderdale."   Heck, I live only about an hour from Disney World and our cancelled March vacation was supposed to be a week at the parks, followed by a drive down to Port Everglades to board our cruise.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Because of this, the actual time from a line may have a much longer wait then with the crowds-  I will pass!

You are absolutely correct. If they cut the attendance by 50% and then only allow riders in every other row it effectively cuts the ride capacity by another 50%.

The other issue is they are using their “capacity “ as the starting point. There are no more than about 25 days each year that Disney reaches capacity. Those tend to be the week between Christmas and New Years. Having experienced a day when they needed to close the Park, you don’t want to be there. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, llawrence said:

I just read in the “DisneyInsider” that the Disney higher ups are thinking DIsney will not open until January.....anyone else heard that.....

Haven't heard that but sounds realistic.  I assume that is both Disney land and Disney World in the USA.  Perhaps other countries will be different.

11 hours ago, llawrence said:

I just read in the “DisneyInsider” that the Disney higher ups are thinking DIsney will not open until January.....anyone else heard that.....

That has been mentioned once by that one article.

Having talked with someone who is in communication with people involved with Disney World has indicated by questions asked that there is a good possibility they may begin with Magic Kingdom only and only open to Florida Residents - at limited capacity. They might then gradually open to those in a driving radius of a set number of hours and gradually increase the number of parks open.

Disneyland is another animal all together as it doesn't have the space Disney World (which is not just Magic Kingdom but the entire complex of the Disney parks and resorts in the Orlando Area.)

I guess it's possible they mean "fully opened" with every park. ride, show, etc. running. But I am fairly sure we're going to see at least some of the Walt Disney World resort open to at least some people before January.

While the Celebrity board is relatively quiet now, once cruising starts again (or whatever happens) it will get busy again, and put me down as one who would like to have this board focus on Celebrity, not tourism in general, not tourism in Florida, but Celebrity.  

We are interested in many things, what kinds of luggage to buy, what island resorts have day passes, when will the Statue of Liberty re-open, how can I get tickets to Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen, what's a good hotel in San Diego near the port.  All of interest to cruisers, but not specific to Celebrity.  There are lots of other boards to discuss all of these things.  

Just my two cents.

On 4/29/2020 at 7:11 PM, Covepointcruiser said:

I can’t wait to visit Disney world at half capacity, that really would be magical.   We always stay in the Epcot area and most of the visitor are over 65, especially during the week.   Luckily there is not as much to draw the families in the International area.   We like to dine at several of the restaurants and enjoy the Food and Wine event and the Christmas festivities before 12/19.

Unfortunately we spend more for a nights accommodation in the Yacht Club than we have ever spent on a cruise, even in the RS.   The club level in the Yacht Club is worth the additional expense.

We like Epcot too.  We have gone for the flowers, the wine and food. Also have liked the musical groups at times there.  Also like the ability to get a beer/wine in various places in the world section.  This is not our year for Disney, but hope to go in late 2021 or early 2022.  

Mine look up accommodations on property too, base on your comment.  We typically stay off property via time share trading ability.

6 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

While the Celebrity board is relatively quiet now, once cruising starts again (or whatever happens) it will get busy again, and put me down as one who would like to have this board focus on Celebrity, not tourism in general, not tourism in Florida, but Celebrity.  

We are interested in many things, what kinds of luggage to buy, what island resorts have day passes, when will the Statue of Liberty re-open, how can I get tickets to Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen, what's a good hotel in San Diego near the port.  All of interest to cruisers, but not specific to Celebrity.  There are lots of other boards to discuss all of these things.  

Just my two cents.

Always great to have goals!  Hope you achieve them all this year in cruising!!!

I also like to plan as I get to 'pre' enjoy the cruise/trip via the planning.  

On 5/1/2020 at 6:06 AM, DWhit said:

Imagine the horror of going on the Jungle Cruise, and not being allowed to dock due to virus concerns.   Two weeks of those corny jokes could do you in ☺️ !

And the headhunters might hihack the Jungle Cruise boat!  OMG!  Don't want to have my noggin become a shrunken head! 🙂 🙂

I do think that the Disney comparisons are relevant after the Edenists set sail.  Many of the people that think that Eden is the bomb are also fans of Disney.

Now for the Infinite Veranda discussion 🙂  That was the best!  I never did get the footstool discussions.  If I want to I could bring my own footstool.  Not so much on bring my own balcony.

I post while trying to get the Pirates of the Caribbean theme song out of my head.  Cant imagine a 2 week quarantine on this cruise ship.  Argggghhhh.

Edited by NMTraveller