What will you do differently when we are able to cruise again?

On 5/2/2020 at 5:01 AM, Merion_Mom said:

Royal Caribbean has applied for a TRADEMARK, not a patent.  It is not a design they are creating, merely a name.

It's just a regular mask of some sort, something that already exists, for which they want an exclusive name.

So you don't need to speculate about what they have "made".  They haven't "made" anything.

The key word being regular...as in...it will be a regular thing to use a mask...won't come as a surprise to some folks here...

On 5/1/2020 at 5:24 PM, NHProud said:

Trying to stay positive however wearing a mask fogs my glasses and that is not very practical.  RCI will have to issue instructions on how to drink their beverages with a mask on . How about the smokers ?  Perhaps a mask with a front zipper ? 

We  can only hope for a quick vaccine.

There are several remedies online to address the fogging of glasses...easy peasy.  

Royal already has named their planned mask "Seakmark".

Smoking?  Could be banned for good.

Plenty of changes likely - many of which will actually be good ones, some will include new protections.  All those could also contribute to prevention or safety for Norovirus on ships.  Could be plenty of upside.

I will be consciously grateful for the opportunity to travel and to be on a ship.  I have to admit that I've taken it for granted over the last few years. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

There are several remedies online to address the fogging of glasses...easy peasy.  

Royal already has named their planned mask "Seakmark".

Smoking?  Could be banned for good.

Plenty of changes likely - many of which will actually be good ones, some will include new protections.  All those could also contribute to prevention or safety for Norovirus on ships.  Could be plenty of upside.

Firstly , listening to the audio from the Supreme Court ,  first time in history . Case involves Booking.com and trademarking generic terms.  Not one to dwell on or correct others on insignificant, picayune matters however for future reference the mask RCI is seeking a trademark on is called Seaface.  Enough of that ! 

I am aware of anti-fogging remedies and I’ve ordered from Amazon a couple of bottles . Yes , some good will come out of this.  Unfortunately ,  it will come at a cost of much suffering by those affected by Covid-19.  Rules are only as good as they are enforced and cooperation by those involved.  They can start with the self-serve buffet .  How many times have you seen transgressions, there ?  

We don’t wipe down anything in our stateroom and the next time you do , read the directions on the label. The cleaning solution has to wet and remain wet for a certain amount of time eg from 4 to 10 minutes.  In the two years that I took microbiology, we wiped down our lab benches with bleach . It was not only effective but cheap.  On our noro cruise ,  my husband asked the staff many questions about what they were using for cleaning . They were clueless up the chain .  

Edited by NHProud

Not even suggesting you use undiluted or diluted bleach in your stateroom or at home . The fumes are too strong , dangerous when mixed with certain compounds ,  not to be used on  certain surfaces.  Also , very harsh on the skin.   

Edited by NHProud

2 hours ago, NHProud said:

Firstly , listening to the audio from the Supreme Court ,  first time in history . Case involves Booking.com and trademarking generic terms.  Not one to dwell on or correct others on insignificant, picayune matters however for future reference the mask RCI is seeking a trademark on is called Seaface.  Enough of that ! 

I am aware of anti-fogging remedies and I’ve ordered from Amazon a couple of bottles . Yes , some good will come out of this.  Unfortunately ,  it will come at a cost of much suffering by those affected by Covid-19.  Rules are only as good as they are enforced and cooperation by those involved.  They can start with the self-serve buffet .  How many times have you seen transgressions, there ?  

We don’t wipe down anything in our stateroom and the next time you do , read the directions on the label. The cleaning solution has to wet and remain wet for a certain amount of time eg from 4 to 10 minutes.  In the two years that I took microbiology, we wiped down our lab benches with bleach . It was not only effective but cheap.  On our noro cruise ,  my husband asked the staff many questions about what they were using for cleaning . They were clueless up the chain .  

Not sure what you're using, but both disinfectant wipes and other brand bottled sanitizers do NOT have that "wait time" requirement. Neither here not there...

Bottom line is the world will be transitioning to official germaphobia for some time to come.

On 5/3/2020 at 9:53 AM, molly361 said:

Thank you guys.  I was beginning to think we were  the only ones that don't clean the cabin after we get in it 

You're certainly not the only ones. If I felt the need to clean my cabin because the staff did an insufficient job at it, I'm probably on the wrong cruise line. Or I just shouldn't be cruising.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I'll probably bring a large canister of Lysol wipes onboard.  I used to just bring two small packages.

Are you going to carry them around with you?

39 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I'll probably bring a large canister of Lysol wipes onboard.  I used to just bring two small packages.

The Clorox Disinfecting Wipes canister clearly states  

“ .....use enough wipes for treated surface to remain visibly wet for four minutes . Let surface dry “. 

Read the label on your Lysol canister . If you are going to be disinfecting your surroundings , better to be doing it correctly .   

Edited by NHProud

1 hour ago, CruisingNole said:

Regardless of what you do differently, you're still in a confined space with thousands of people that have questionable hygiene practices. Your actions might make you "feel" safer, but you're not. 

Then again....cruising has been that scenario for many decades...and only now is this being brought up as a critical issue.

Howie Mandel is a well-known germaphobe...and NOTHING will satisfy his craving for living in a bubble. NOt everyone agrees thankfully.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

12 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Then again....cruising has been that scenario for many decades...and only now is this being brought up as a critical issue.

It's always been an issue. I know a lot of people that wouldn't cruise pre-covid because they thought the sanitary conditions were unacceptable.

However, to your point, now it's suddenly an issue for current cruisers. It's kind of like that topic no one wants to talk about, so they have just swept it under the rug all these years.

Unfortunately for them, the rug has been lifted.

On 5/2/2020 at 11:01 AM, Erik101 said:

I’m staying away from the buffets. It’s just too crowded especially during embarkation. Also, not interested in touching the same serving spoon touched by 100 other people before me. 

It took COVID for this to occur to you?

22 minutes ago, CruisingNole said:

It's always been an issue. I know a lot of people that wouldn't cruise pre-covid because they thought the sanitary conditions were unacceptable.

However, to your point, now it's suddenly an issue for current cruisers. It's kind of like that topic no one wants to talk about, so they have just swept it under the rug all these years.

Unfortunately for them, the rug has been lifted.

Respectfully don't see things quite that way...

Anyone who has cruised before understands what it's about...and the conditions. Those even vary significantly between cruise lines. It's about standards, practices, and maintenance...and some cruise lines do things much better than others. 

Lumping them all in the same boat (pun intended) is both unrealistic and inaccurate.

Still, the overall point is that much more attention will be given to best practices in terms of cleanliness, sanitation, and general passenger activities. 

Not sure we will do anything different if and when we start cruising again, it really depends on what the cruise line is doing for preventative measures once the ships do start cruising again.  I am someone who has been sick on a ship before, multiple times actually, and has also wiped down the cabin on occasion.  We do eat in the WJ at times, but have been booking more suites to have access to Coastal Kitchen for all meals.  Both my DH and I got influenza A on Anthem and we really think it started with a large family group on day 1.  We passed grandma in the WJ, trying to calm a baby, who looked miserable and feverish.  Baby sneezed directly at us as we passed, four days later, we both had high fevers.

If the ships are going to do extensive fogging and disinfecting as we have witnessed on a norovirus cruise, we will likely have to stop cruising.  While many have no issues with all the chemicals, there are others with chemical sensitivities that can not deal with it.  We had a cabin on a corridor that had many quarantined cabins, including those on either side of us.  Our cabin steward did a wonderful job disinfecting everything constantly, including wiping every flat surface in our cabin, including all the walls, with disinfectant.  They leave everything wet and dripping, so the chemical can kill the virus.  They also had men in hazmat suits fogging the corridor each night.  I saw them through the peephole in the door as most nights they were very noisy.  All of this kept us healthy from the norovirus but lead to serious breathing issues for me.

So, we are going to wait it out and see what everyone reports once cruising starts up again.  We will book full suites on ships with Royal Suite Class and try to stay out of the WJ and crowded areas where we have to wait in line.  We will continue to go to shows and sit in the reserved suite area since it keeps us from having to wait in lines.  We are not going to totally isolate ourselves as we enjoy cruising and meeting others but we are just going to be very conscious of our surroundings.  Hopefully, this whole situation has taught people to wash their hands and cover their mouths when they cough or sneeze.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CruisingNole said:

I'm sure that would apply to plenty of Carnival passengers who got stranded on numerous ships at sea because of poor ship maintenance and lack of best practices over the past 5-7 years (well-documented). They has several major ship failures to underscore how proper ship maintenance is not a priority with that company. It doesn't seem to happen with other cruise lines. Taking those things a step forward to onboard health and other practices...just search and read about Carnival and NCL health-related issues the past 3-5 years...they speak volumes.

2 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Respectfully don't see things quite that way...

Anyone who has cruised before understands what it's about...and the conditions. Those even vary significantly between cruise lines. It's about standards, practices, and maintenance...and some cruise lines do things much better than others. 

Lumping them all in the same boat (pun intended) is both unrealistic and inaccurate.

Still, the overall point is that much more attention will be given to best practices in terms of cleanliness, sanitation, and general passenger activities. 

No matter what standards, practices and maintenance are in place, no cruise line (or any business) can force someone to wash their hands before they leave their cabin. Or sneeze into their elbow. Or not board a ship if they aren't feeling well. 

At the end of the day, we're ultimately at the mercy of those around us. It only takes one inconsiderate jerk to cough without covering his mouth as he walks past you. 

Same as it ever was.