What will you do differently when we are able to cruise again?

4 hours ago, davekathy said:

No longer will ask someone to take our picture with our camera. 

I bought a long selfie stick that doubles as tripod.  It also has a Bluetooth remote that detaches from the handle.  I'm ready for cruising in the post C-virus world.

Edited by Tree_skier

We have always been interior cabin folks.  It allows us to stretch our travel budget and take 4 or 5 cruises a year.  I have decided to only book balconies for the foreseeable future which will result in fewer trips, particularly when the price for balconies skyrockets due to demand.  I gotta admit I’m a little surprised and the number of folks who say they never wiped down their cabin before.  That’s been a prerequisite for me for decades and I do it nearly every day.  It’s 20 minutes sacrificed for peace of mind.  

2 minutes ago, lifes-a-beach said:

I gotta admit I’m a little surprised and the number of folks who say they never wiped down their cabin before.  That’s been a prerequisite for me for decades and I do it nearly every day.  It’s 20 minutes sacrificed for peace of mind.  

I've never wiped anything down in the cabin and never gotten sick on a cruise either. Oh, I also eat in the Windjammer and push elevator buttons. And sometimes when using the stairs I touch the hand rail.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I've never wiped anything down in the cabin and never gotten sick on a cruise either. Oh, I also eat in the Windjammer and push elevator buttons. And sometimes when using the stairs I touch the hand rail.

Us too.  My wife’s a teacher and loves getting on the ship where everything is so clean. I’m a believer that exposing yourself to daily germs (yes I probably ate dirt as a kid as well) strengthens your immune system and leaves you better prepared to fend off many things. 

• Like 13

53 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

34 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Us too.  My wife’s a teacher and loves getting on the ship where everything is so clean. I’m a believer that exposing yourself to daily germs (yes I probably ate dirt as a kid as well) strengthens your immune system and leaves you better prepared to fend off many things. 

Thank you guys.  I was beginning to think we were  the only ones that don't clean the cabin after we get in it 

• Like 7

All these people, taking the stairs. Instead of crowded elevators, crowded stairs. With the added bonus of everyone huffing and puffing because they are not used to taking multiple flights of stairs. The handrails are the least concern.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We always booked inside cabins and going forward will only book balconies.  Do not think I could handle being stuck in an interior cabin.  

We will not be cruising if you have a wear a mask.  We wear one when we go out but do not think we could enjoy a cruise when wearing one.

53 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

You are such a rebel....  I do all of that in worse places than a cruise ship. I have never seen anyone wiping down the handrails at Penn Station.  They are finally conducting deep sanitization of the stations and subways now. It's probably the first time since the subway opened in 1906.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

You are such a rebel....  I do all of that in worse places than a cruise ship. I have never seen anyone wiping down the handrails at Penn Station.  They are finally conducting deep sanitization of the stations and subways now. It's probably the first time since the subway opened in 1906.  

Lol! Imagine that. We have navigated Penn Station, ridden the NYC subway, and lived to tell the story!😄

• Like 4

One change I would like to see is creating one way lines for the buffet.  The lines often share the passage with those of us just walking through the space and this will help that situation also.  Now it is a free for all and people jump in, go both direction and basically a cluster.  Getting everyone to move in one direction will give greater control and let the staff serve us and allow them to maintain some semblance of order

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Seldom eat in Windjammer or main dining room mainly due to crowds and noise.  Never wipe down cabin but do wipe remote for TV the first day.  Almost always use hand rails and also have never been sick on a cruise but only been on 37 to date.  Cruises 38 and 39 bit the dust with Covid.  Hope and pray this soon ends so we all can get out of the house and back on the ship.

21 hours ago, Snit13 said:

If I am allowed to cruise I will only book Grand Suites on Royal or Aqua Class or Sky Suites on Celebrity.  I will as always avoid the buffet and main dining room, at all cost.  I can't take my money with me so I might as well enjoy it while I am still among the living.

I am guessing on Royal you only sail on Oasis class and Quantum Class? If you sail on the smaller ships, what perks do you use when in the GS or above?

3 hours ago, ThirstyCruiser said:

All these people, taking the stairs. Instead of crowded elevators, crowded stairs. With the added bonus of everyone huffing and puffing because they are not used to taking multiple flights of stairs. The handrails are the least concern.

That's probably what happened in California when they opened the beaches. People who wouldn't normally go to the beach did and it became too much to even try to distance.

I haven't wanted to go in a hot tub/pool since my second cruise. I am not a fan of WJ but if they have servers I may enjoy it again. My DH is somewhat of a suite snob... he has been semi happy with the JS Aft facing, so I am not worried if we get quarantined. I have been leaning more towards UDP, not due to the shutdown, I just enjoy the food better!! I have always washed my hand frequently and use a paper towel to open doors, even locally.

I really don't see myself doing anything different in the future unless the cruise line requires it.

Life is short, enjoy it while you can 

3 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

That's probably what happened in California when they opened the beaches. People who wouldn't normally go to the beach did and it became too much to even try to distance.

What part of CA opened their beaches? Last I heard they were still closed and heavily policed, at least in the South Bay area.

12 hours ago, 2cruisers in Georgia said:

Yikes!  I hadn’t thought of that one

...and hopefully no one will ask you to take a picture of them using their camera. :classic_rolleyes:There's a lot of little things we do that we all need to think first before doing. Hopefully those that haven't always been doing the common sense precautions are now doing them. OK, I'm done typing and just took my rose colored glasses off. 😍

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, LilBlackDress said:

What part of CA opened their beaches? Last I heard they were still closed and heavily policed, at least in the South Bay area.

They open Southern CA for one day and closed them again after too many showed up to the beach. It's human nature at this point. I expect as things open there will be more and more doing things and visiting places that they never did before.  The malls didn't have traffic over the holidays I suspect that once they open it will be like Black Friday. Every day it's like the Easter Parade walking in front of my house.  Before this the typical Long Islander would jump in a car to visit a neighbor at the end of the block.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Same here. I guess my immune system works off the stuff the boss brings home. 

• Like 3

Great thread topic!  DH and I were just talking about this earlier today.  We still have two, not yet cancelled, cruises this year (late August and late October).  I hope by our 2021 cruises we can just do the normal things, but for these 2020 cruises maybe we will change some behaviours:

The August sailing we had origianlly not had a balcony cabin---we do now! (I would have paid more for it too, but as luck would have it the prices have fallen so it was not any added charge).  We will most likely leave the balcony door open at all times that we are in the stateroom (including through the night) so that we get a lot of outside air mixing in regularly.  I have also told DH that I might prefer that he not run the a/c all.the.time as he normally would on an August cruise and instead dial in whatever seems to most limit shared air from coming into the cabin.

I have never been one to wipe down the cabin (or hotel rooms, in a typical year we spend more nights away from home than at home).  I doubt I will change that practice, but maybe I will hit the doorknobs every so often.

We already tend to avoid crowds---especially in ports, we will wait to leave the ship until there are no longer lines, then reboard sooner than most, etc.  So I asusme we will continue to do so, maybe even more than in the past (might not go to trivia games if Schooners is packed, or would skip dance parites in the centrum, might not spend as much time at Diamond Happy Hour  if the lounge is packed, then again maybe so many older D+ cruisers will be staying home that it will be quiet up there?, etc).

Other things we might do differently (depending on how crowded the ship is and what procudeures are in place to space people out, etc already:

Possibly skip shows in the theatre if seating is not spread out enough.

Spend more time on our balcony as opposed to puplic areas

Eat lunch in outside areas (fresh air flowing through)--the sailings are on Jewel which has an outside seating area in the back of Windjammer and Allure which has options for outdoor dining midday as well.

Possibly order room service for dinner and eat on our balcony if we find the MDR or speciality restraurants too crowded.

Avoid elevators alltogether (we normally use them sparingly)

Possibly spend more time on open pool decks (We are not sun worshippers) and/or more time off the ship just walking in open areas in port.

We will also pack both of our laptops, my kindle and a  few games, etc in case we either just spend more time in our room/on our blacony or (God forbid) get quaratined on the ship.

Edited by xxHadleyxx
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, molly361 said:

Thank you guys.  I was beginning to think we were  the only ones that don't clean the cabin after we get in it 

We do not wipe down our cabin either.  Once I wiped down the tv remote and phone but we had just got on a ship that had big noro breakout the week before.  

We already take a small bottle of hand sanitizer everywhere we go when we travel, and we keep a pump bottle in the cabin bathroom, too.

We avoid crowds during the day on our cruises, anyway.

We will wear masks, except when we eat or drink outside the cabin.

We cannot avoid elevators, but I'm hoping RCCL monitors how many are allowed on an elevator at any one time, and we will be wearing masks.

I wish I had worn a mask on our Majesty b2b2b in late Jan to mid-Feb this year.  I came home with pneumonia.  I don't think I'll ever know if it was COVID19 until I can get an antibody test.

11 hours ago, molly361 said:

Neither do I and I never will.   If I'm that worried about catching something on a ship, then perhaps I shouldn't be on it.

• Like 2