Interesting article/Miami Herald

Link worked fine for me, unfortunately it does not portray NCL or Royal Caribbean very well.  It also makes it pretty clear cruising as much as well all want it to start up very soon is going to take quite a few months. I have had two cruises canceled so far and want to definitely get back on a ship but this will not happen till ALL crew with All cruise lines are back home and they can attempt to get crew back. Realistically that is going to take at least another 4 months at best. At worst it may take 6 to 8  months.   

• Like 2

I was also wondering reading the article how long it would take to staff the ships, including training replacement crew for those that don't  return. I would think as things reopen, it will take less time to get back up and running than it did to repatriate crew amid all the restrictions.

The article certainly doesn't show the cruise lines in the best light, but does anyone ever? Do the lines bring some of this on themselves by registering in ports with lax or no labor laws? Yet it does seem that to some extent they were trying to navigate restrictions in as cost effective a way as they could.

• Like 1

Port of Miami is dead without Cruises.  Period.

Luckily, Florida is leading the US in phased, measured re-opening.

The cruise line business will be thoroughly phased and measured also, IMO.

It's too important.

As of 2018, PortMiami accounts for approximately 334,500 jobs and has an annual economic impact of $43 billion to the state of Florida.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Link worked fine for me, unfortunately it does not portray NCL or Royal Caribbean very well.  It also makes it pretty clear cruising as much as well all want it to start up very soon is going to take quite a few months. I have had two cruises canceled so far and want to definitely get back on a ship but this will not happen till ALL crew with All cruise lines are back home and they can attempt to get crew back. Realistically that is going to take at least another 4 months at best. At worst it may take 6 to 8  months.   

I completely agree.

13 minutes ago, hallux said:

Isn't this the same doom and gloom article about how crew are being treated but just posted by a different news outlet?  There have been similar articles posted here recently...

The crews (prisoners at this point) are being treated poorly, and that's putting it VERY mildly. Some of them are literally killing themselves to escape this Kafka-esque nightmare. Try having some empathy? 

Edited by PortFees45
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, hallux said:

Isn't this the same doom and gloom article about how crew are being treated but just posted by a different news outlet?  There have been similar articles posted here recently...

well read it and judge for yourself.

At age 72, I am at least as interested in when I can cruise again without significant risk of dying a fairly horrible death on board as in how fast the crews can be replenished.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PortFees45 said:

The crews (prisoners at this point) are being treated poorly, and that's putting it VERY mildly. Some of them are literally killing themselves to escape this Kafka-esque nightmare. Try having some empathy? 

Blame the United States of America’s who won’t let the crew get to their flights (which were all arranged). I would think that it is low risk to take crew directly from the ships via bus to the commenter/charter terminal (not normal passenger terminal) and control the crew there and get them on the way. 

• Like 4

Yup, this is not on the cruise lines, they want the folks off, but no country will take them.  Basically if you read up, they are now sorting their members by country (on the ships) on some lines so they can sail them back to their home country.  And even then there is no guarantee the home country will let the folks off.  I think the fault lies with the countries that wont even let these people go straight to a private air flight so they can get home.  It is sad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shof515 said:

link does not work for me, it is asking to subscribe

Might try on another browser - neither link worked for me either on Chrome but did let me in on Firefox 🙃

49 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Blame the United States of America’s who won’t let the crew get to their flights (which were all arranged). I would think that it is low risk to take crew directly from the ships via bus to the commenter/charter terminal (not normal passenger terminal) and control the crew there and get them on the way. 

Gotcha and who should I blame for the BLATANTLY FALSE threat that crew members could be subject to CRIMINAL PROSECUTION for disseminating info about what's happening on the ship - a shameless and unethical strong arm move meant to further frighten a group of already frightened, powerless people into corporate subservience. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SeaHunt said:

Might try on another browser - neither link worked for me either on Chrome but did let me in on Firefox 🙃

I think the issue is that the original link was posted from Apple's news page rather than direct to the source Apple pulled the news from.

• Haha 1

Every day people and companies are put in difficult situations, most times thru no fault of their own. It is how you handle the situation that sets you apart from others. Lying to your employees? especially about life and death situations is never the answer. Putting a cost over the well being of an employee is never the answer as well. 

As for IF the employees will come back? many will because they have no other choice and it is what is best for them and their family doesn't mean if they come back that how they were treated during the last couple of months was OK. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

Port of Miami is dead without Cruises.  Period.

Luckily, Florida is leading the US in phased, measured re-opening.

The cruise line business will be thoroughly phased and measured also, IMO.

It's too important.

As of 2018, PortMiami accounts for approximately 334,500 jobs and has an annual economic impact of $43 billion to the state of Florida.

The port is dependent on the Federal government to say they can host cruise ships again. 

5 hours ago, PortFees45 said:

Gotcha and who should I blame for the BLATANTLY FALSE threat that crew members could be subject to CRIMINAL PROSECUTION for disseminating info about what's happening on the ship - a shameless and unethical strong arm move meant to further frighten a group of already frightened, powerless people into corporate subservience. 

Crew members sign contracts. Many companies have NDAs, contracts or codes of conduct which limit what an employee of that company can say about their employer. My company does. And I have to reaffirm my understanding and agreement to those terms annually.

The crew are not frightened or powerless, unless you believe the fake news that the mainstream media puts out to sensationalize situations to get web clicks (that's how they get advertisers). Are the crew tired of sitting in a port and not being able to get off the ship,,,, sure. Do they want to go home if their contract is over,,,, sure. Who is to blame,,,, the United States of America, not the cruise line. The cruise lines had charter flights and private transportation all set up,,, until the USA said "here's some unfulfillable terms and conditions for disembarkation". And it is the same for all cruise lines, not just NCL. 

• Like 3