Buffets are back....

4 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

That surprises me as you come across as having quite a distaste for us.

Life life not only about food, at least for me, but when it comes to this I am not a fan at all of the US correct. Buy you have interesting places to do and see and in the major cities you fin enough varieties to get some more international food; I never ended up hungry 🙂

14 hours ago, spunks said:

A bigger health hazard issue than the buffets is allowing people to refill water bottles.

I agree.  In this new age there should be someone at all water stations to make sure this doesn’t happen.  Also people using the same coffee cup or glass to refill their drink.  Get a new one.  Katherine

• Like 1

16 hours ago, karena1 said:

I did not think they would go away totally.  Won't be surprised at all if you make your selections and someone puts it on your plate for you vs you picking it up yourself.  I am fine with that.

More 'cafeteria' style than a grab your own food buffet. Growing up in houston we had several chains of these. Wyatt's Cafeteria, Furr's Cafeteria, & Luby's,  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LXA350 said:

It's about only taking things on your plate that you will eat and not have half full plates ending in the garbage. This is not about cruising this is about being educated with proper manners and should be applied at land and on sea.

Right.

Go ahead and eat as much as you want.... yet after you take what you want... eat it. No matter if it was a mom and pop buffet in my area or the Windjammer. It's just proper to not to take a mountain of food and then have half of it thrown away.

Whether on land or on sea, that's how I was raised.

14 hours ago, davekathy said:

My Magic 8 Ball say's, "very doubtful". 🎱

IDK, this concept may work in an effort to ease the crowds and especially a time factor such as disembarking on port days. Of course it wouldn't be for everyone but I can see people would 'Grab & Go' a breakfast plate as an alternative for those in a hurry. The same concept could be used for a lunch as well. 'Grab a Box lunch'. Again, I understand that it would not be something to be used for every breakfast by everyone, but I can easily see this working for quite a few actually. 

29 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

I agree.  In this new age there should be someone at all water stations to make sure this doesn’t happen.  Also people using the same coffee cup or glass to refill their drink.  Get a new one.  Katherine

So we should not be allowed to fill water bottles or should RCL put in touchless refill stations?

Edited by Newleno

13 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

IDK, this concept may work in an effort to ease the crowds and especially a time factor such as disembarking on port days. Of course it wouldn't be for everyone but I can see people would 'Grab & Go' a breakfast plate as an alternative for those in a hurry. The same concept could be used for a lunch as well. 'Grab a Box lunch'. Again, I understand that it would not be something to be used for every breakfast by everyone, but I can easily see this working for quite a few actually. 

I'm not seeing it for the WJ. Works great for the Cafe' promenade. Agree, limited pre packaged type Grab n Go selections would be an excellent option for those in a hurry or want to eat their selections somewhere else. All speculations on everyone's part. I'll stick with what my Magic 8 Ball says. 😉Time will tell. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LXA350 said:

It's about only taking things on your plate that you will eat and not have half full plates ending in the garbage. This is not about cruising this is about being educated with proper manners and should be applied at land and on sea.

No. No it isn't. Cruising is a vacation. Vacations = Indulgence. Most of us eat more, drink more, relax more, and experience more while on vacation than we do in our normal daily lives. Having said this, having a mound of bacon w/ 3 eggs and multiple pieces of bread on a daily basis is not what we do daily, or at least me anyway. But while on vacation, I might if I'm inclined to do so. No one is advocating that one take more than they can eat and toss the rest away... that isn't manners and it also isn't about being properly educated.  It's called common sense. So while I'm on vacation, what is on my plate is my business using my commom sense and what is own your plate is your business using your common sense. All in the name of proper manners of course. 

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I'm not seeing it for the WJ. Works great for the Cafe' promenade. Agree, limited pre packaged type Grab n Go selections would be an excellent option for those in a hurry or want to eat their selections somewhere else. All speculations on everyone's part. I'll stick with what my Magic 8 Ball says. 😉Time will tell. 

Not sure the Cafe' Promenade could handle the volume. Again I wouldn't use it everyday,  but there have been some port days I'd have used a Grab n Go in a heartbeat as opposed to fighting a crowd in the WJ. Item selection for the Grab n Go would be the key though.  If packaged right, this would be an idea that has merit. 

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin

Much about nothing a waste of time to read. For the record I felt safer flying after 911 than ever before. Security was at high peak. While I understand all of the security check precautions, as the years go on I get more and more annoyed with removing my shoes, jacket and belt and having an X-ray just to get to the gate.  I had made up my mind to sign up for precheck when Trump suspended new applications for NY state, do to Cuomo allowing driver's license for undocumented aliens. 

I do welcome any change in the buffet that will eliminate cross contamination. However, this could mean more service and more staff. Look around we have morphed into a society of self service. We now check out our groceries, order off of a kiosk or App at fast food restaurants and even the makeup counters at department stores have become self service. This is all to cut the largest corporate controllable expense of payroll. I can't imagine that buffet   will go on forever as full service  if that's what they have to do in order to offer that venue

16 hours ago, rich_cathybrock said:

We already have "just enough" time in ports.  If it takes another hour to get off and another to board, it stops being worth it to cruise at all.  What's anyone doing with 5 hours in Livorno?

Royal Caribbean announces a new program called the Scan.

For an additional $26.99 per person per day, avoid the rectal temperature reading. Hold your head high for an infrared scan. Save time and iRay through the line. Don't take a back seat to enjoying a full day in port. 

* D+, Pinnacles and suit guest receive a 20% if purchased on board. Limited to availability

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Please don't tell us that's what you got from this. 

Well, that quote jumped off the page because it simply isn't true.  There may have been a couple of strip searches immediately, but it absolutely was not a policy of the airlines.

If someone says something that is blatantly false, can we trust other things they say?

1 hour ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Not sure the Cafe' Promenade could handle the volume. Again I wouldn't use it everyday,  but there have been some port days I'd have used a Grab n Go in a heartbeat as opposed to fighting a crowd in the WJ. Item selection for the Grab n Go would be the key though.  If packaged right, this would be an idea that has merit. 

Not everyone would be going to the Cafe' Promenade or at the same time. That's why the Cafe' Promenade isn't the only dining option. Grab n Go selections there.  MDR for breakfast and lunch remains the same sit down, order from a menu service. The WJ could still offer many food selections but cafeteria style no matter the time of day or evening while it's open. You walk the line and a server plates your selection(s) for you. Go back as many times as you want. If we ate in the WJ that would be our preference v pre plated shrunk wrapped G-n-G selections. Even the WJ could have a section for limited G-n-G selections. But I'll let RC figure out the logistic for feeding us. Way above my pay grade. We are just along for the ride to enjoy ourselves. I just know we never have and never will go hungry or thirsty on a cruise. 😉 Like life, we'll make adjustments along the way. 

Edited by davekathy

18 hours ago, Pratique said:

I predict that the food will be pre-plated and you’ll just grab and go.

I do not like that idea at all. A buffet has so many different items to choose from . I still want a choice as to what is put on my plate.

My only problem with servers is they never understand or listen to me when I ask for "just a taste" or if I say very very little and show them with my fingers how little I mean. I have a habit of tasting lots of things and putting less than a teaspoon of the food on my plate just for a taste. I've had many a lunch that way.

Edited by coffeebean

17 hours ago, Pratique said:

I’ve seen it done. Every item on a separate plate. You pick and choose. Or take two if you want a larger portion. Rectangular plates to fit on a tray.

Royal has done away with trays. If this is an option, trays would have to be brought back. Trays can not be reused unless sanitized first.

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

The WJ could still offer many food selections but cafeteria style.... You walk the line and a server plates your selection(s) 

How many buffets offer the option to walk the line. All of the newer ships I've been on

have individual food stations. I guess breakfasts might be manageable but having to go

from station to station for lunch and dinner sound like a problem. If you have to wait in a

station line then move to another station line you'll have cold food by the time you sit down.

Cafeteria style sounds workable but not all Windjammers are currently configured to offer that. 

There will be sit down traditional meals, there will be all you can eat buffets, but they will be different.

They are part of the traditions and must have for cruising, they will most certainly continue, maybe modified but will continue.

Now carry on 🙂

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, atanac said:

How many buffets offer the option to walk the line. All of the newer ships I've been on

have individual food stations. I guess breakfasts might be manageable but having to go

from station to station for lunch and dinner sound like a problem. If you have to wait in a

station line then move to another station line you'll have cold food by the time you sit down.

Cafeteria style sounds workable but not all Windjammers are currently configured to offer that. 

OK, to be a lot clearer, walk the line so to speak. You will walk to each individual food station (like currently), stand in a one way only line (new concept) and a server will plate your selection(s) for you. Yes it will be a change but it can work. Make more trips. Your food isn't going to get cold. :classic_rolleyes: Same basic idea as how the cruise lines do it during a norovirus outbreak. Do you think the WJ is going to be the same self serve as pre CV-19? 

Edited by davekathy

18 minutes ago, atanac said:

This is what happens now minus the servers which is one of the reasons I dislike the buffet.   It's a lot of walking to select what you want. If you only eat from one station at a time you are constantly up and down waiting on line.  At breakfast time the omlet line can drag on. Something is going to be cold by the time you sit down.  

19 hours ago, chipmaster said:

Why is that?  I would say everyone that eats in the buffet will touch almost all the serving utensils.

The number of people using the bottle filling is far less iMHO.   Then the contact surface interaction is far lower.  

When you eat you almost always touch the serving utensils, your plate, etc.   then napkin with you hands and likely your mouth etc.    Bottle much less you'd touch side and a small portion of the side touch the dispenser, a risk yes, much less IMHO.

why is that?....have you watched people refilling water bottles? They stick the mouth of the bottle over the spout when they fill it.

I watched one guy stick the spout of a water pitcher inside the mouth of his bottle to fill it. They drink straight out of the bottle. 

Doug

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SSBrickNJ said:

Right.

Go ahead and eat as much as you want.... yet after you take what you want... eat it. No matter if it was a mom and pop buffet in my area or the Windjammer. It's just proper to not to take a mountain of food and then have half of it thrown away.

Whether on land or on sea, that's how I was raised.

me too.  I eat very little.  So for breakfast, it is maybe a bagel and a little fruit and I am done.  Amazed sometimes on the amount of food people put on their plates and then don't eat it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, spunks said:

why is that?....have you watched people refilling water bottles? They stick the mouth of the bottle over the spout when they fill it.

I watched one guy stick the spout of a water pitcher inside the mouth of his bottle to fill it. They drink straight out of the bottle. 

Doug

Scary, as so many do exactly this. 😲 Adults and kids. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, karena1 said:

me too.  I eat very little.  So for breakfast, it is maybe a bagel and a little fruit and I am done.  Amazed sometimes on the amount of food people put on their plates and then don't eat it.

I eat way more than that.....but I totally get your main point that supported my previous post.

Thanks 😊

• Like 1