Rethinking Muster Drills

LMAO!  Most of the comments tend towards the emergency drill being a joke.  Its not.  Finding our way to your designated station in the dark or in smoke can be a real challenge.  Being at sea is inherently dangerous - and fire is the #1 emergency.  This is a serious issue.  It could not only save someone's life, but yours as well.  Treat it seriously.

• Like 3

What a great topic. Not something that had come to mind as we contemplate whether our cruising days are over.

I have done over 44 cruises and spent close to 2 yrs of my life cruising so have given this a lot of thought. We missed out on a large family cruise in April but I still have one booked this coming January but expect it might be cancelled and if not, still not sure if I want to go.

I agree that they need to stop with the buffet.Take the time to sit and relax and be pampered and waited on. We are not in a hurry to go anywhere and if you are, order room service the night before and eat in your cabin before you take off on your tour.

Would I cruise if I have to wear a mask all the time? No.

Muster drills- I agree. Make us watch a video and sign a waiver that we have watched it. I will not stand on deck in a herd to go through that again because in all honesty I think if there were a real emergency people will just plain panic anyways and run to the nearest and highest deck.  Another option is as we wait to check-in- show the video over and over on a loop so that people watch it out of boredom as they wait to check in.

We already must fight for a deck chair - can't imagine what it would be like if they must be 6ft apart!  That alone would turn me off cruising.

I fear cruising as we knew it is over and if so, will we cruise again? Not likely after hearing a recent report that the only places Caribbean cruises will go is to their private islands. I love days at sea, but somehow the passion is waning for the time being until we know what will really happen

58 minutes ago, summersbreeze said:

I will not stand on deck in a herd to go through that again because in all honesty I think if there were a real emergency people will just plain panic anyways and run to the nearest and highest deck.

Didn't happen on the Concordia, and even if they "stampeded" to a higher deck, there would be crew to "herd" them back to their station.  I've been through maritime emergencies and I know how important structure and accountability are to a successful outcome.

• Like 8

On 6/15/2020 at 9:00 AM, summersbreeze said:

I will not stand on deck in a herd to go through that again because in all honesty I think if there were a real emergency people will just plain panic anyways and run to the nearest and highest deck.  

Having studied many marine incidents and ran pax movement simulations this is not anything I have noted, and even in the unlikely event it did happen, as the Chief responded, the crew are tasked throughout the ship to take control and re-direct.

• Like 2

On 6/15/2020 at 9:00 AM, summersbreeze said:

I have done over 44 cruises...

Sorry, you do not earn the perk to "not stand on deck in a herd" until you've done over 45 cruises. 😉

But in all seriousness, it's probably a good idea to go ahead and consider your cruising days over because as a passenger, you do not make the rules.  Or at least, make sure you research what ships have indoor muster before you book.  

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 6/8/2020 at 10:36 AM, KnowTheScore said:

My 2penneth on the issue of Muster Drills

1.  They can't be done by video imho because every individual ship and every individual captain may have specific things they need to address.   The bulk of the captain's spiel is mandated standard dialogue from marine rules and I can probably recite most of it off the top of my head after close to 40 cruises.  But there may always be additional information that a captain needs to put across, perhaps certain parts of the ship are under repair and not to be used in an emergency etc etc.    They can't keep recording lots of individual videos.

2.  There is a need (presumably legal req't) that they verify that people have attended a drill and have listened to and/or watched any required information.  That can only be done by having staff physically watch people attend and record their cruise cards.

3.  There is a need for people to physically attend their designated muster station in order to know where it is and to be told where the exit doors are in that area that will be used in an emergency.

The above present social distancing issues but  they are not insurmountable.

An obvious solution would be as follows:

1.  At a designated time (say 3:30pm) the captain orders all passengers to go to their cabins and remain there until called for muster drill

2.  In batches, perhaps by deck and odd/even numbers the captain calls people down from their cabins to their designated muster station where, thanks to limited batch numbers they remain socially distanced.   Their cruise cards are scanned on entry.   This teaches them how to get to their muster station from cabin in an emergency.  The staff highlight where the emergency exits are and demonstrate donning life jackets and give out any specific information pertinent to that ship or its current circumstances.   The passengers themselves do not bring their own life jackets as it presents a hygiene risk but if they wish to they can try their jackets in their cabins and phone reception for help if they don't understand how to use them.

3.  After the above visit to the muster station those passengers are then directed to the large theatre on the ship.  This will be co-ordinated so that all those in the batch that left their cabins all move to the theatre together from various muster stations.

Again the batch sizing means that people are socially distanced in the theatre.  Cruise cards are scanned a second time on entry to the theatre.   In the theatre they are given the main oral side of the muster drill by the Captain or other spokesperson.  i.e. the long spiel.  The Captain could even be present on stage to personally welcome people and give some "style" to the proceedings.

4.  Whilst the theatre drill is in progress the next batch of passengers are instructed to leave their cabins and go to their muster stations.   Everyone else remains in their cabins.

5.   The theatre passengers are told to return to cabin and stay there.   The next batch of passengers move from muster stations to the theatre.   The next batch of passengers move from cabin to muster station.

This is all carefully co-ordinated such that at no time are there masses of people milling about bumping into each other.  No movements from cabin to station or from station to theatre or from theatre back to cabins happen at the same time.

Everyone stays in their cabin until specifically called out and once they return from their drills they again stay in the cabin until the entire ship's compliment have been drilled.  

Simple rotation system using 2 locations to ensure careful and controlled movement of passengers.

Or.....they could just do this:  https://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-release/1457/royal-caribbean-group-reinvents-cruise-industrys-safety-drill/

"New technology, eMuster™, will be used to help provide the information to guests via their mobile devices and interactive stateroom TVs. Travelers will be able to review the information at their own time prior to setting sail, eliminating the need for the traditional large group assemblies. The new approach also enables everyone on board to maintain better spacing as guests move about the ship, and it allows guests to enjoy more of their vacation with no interruption.

After reviewing safety information individually, guests will complete the drill by visiting their assigned assembly station, where a crew member will verify that all steps have been completed and answer questions. Each of the steps will need to be completed prior to the ship’s departure, as required by international maritime law."

• Like 1

To say that I am surprised is an understatement.  I have to assume that this has been approved by the IMO and RCI's class society, otherwise it would not be rolled out, but it is interesting that no mention of statutory requirements or approval is made in the press release.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Or.....they could just do this:  https://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-release/1457/royal-caribbean-group-reinvents-cruise-industrys-safety-drill/

"New technology, eMuster™, will be used to help provide the information to guests via their mobile devices and interactive stateroom TVs. Travelers will be able to review the information at their own time prior to setting sail, eliminating the need for the traditional large group assemblies. The new approach also enables everyone on board to maintain better spacing as guests move about the ship, and it allows guests to enjoy more of their vacation with no interruption.

After reviewing safety information individually, guests will complete the drill by visiting their assigned assembly station, where a crew member will verify that all steps have been completed and answer questions. Each of the steps will need to be completed prior to the ship’s departure, as required by international maritime law."

I saw that as well. I suppose it theoretically complies with requirements, as the ship cannot sail until all passengers have attended.

I forsee  that half the passengers will want to carry out the drill before they unpack, so will head en-masse to their muster stations, probably before anyone is ready for them, and the other half will want to stay in the bar as long as possible and will head down en-masse 2 minutes before scheduled sailing, after the 4th call for all remaining passengers to attend their muster stations.

Not sure that this will be an actual improvement - and will almost certainly take up more crew time.

I saw that as well. I suppose it theoretically complies with requirements, as the ship cannot sail until all passengers have attended.
I forsee  that half the passengers will want to carry out the drill before they unpack, so will head en-masse to their muster stations, probably before anyone is ready for them, and the other half will want to stay in the bar as long as possible and will head down en-masse 2 minutes before scheduled sailing, after the 4th call for all remaining passengers to attend their muster stations.
Not sure that this will be an actual improvement - and will almost certainly take up more crew time.

You’ve interpreted the writing on the wall.... this ‘muster drill’ and compliance with regulations if, left to the cooperation and discipline of the passengers, is doomed to failure.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ATC cruiser said:

At least I won’t have to stand at my muster station waiting for the self centered idiots who are late and can’t follow directions. I’ll be relaxing on my balcony having completed the requirement well before departure.

But the ship cannot sail now until those same idiots are chased down. And it will be much more difficult to find them as most of the passengers, the ones who completed the requirements, are also all over the ship.

Edited by ontheweb
corrected a typo

13 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

But the ship cannot sail now until those same idiots are chased down. And it will be much more difficult to few them as most of the passengers, the ones who completed the requirements, are also all over the ship.

Yep, unless they give out colored party hats to designate those who have completed the drill, how will the crew know which of the 20 people lining the bar have complied and which have not, until they start doing a person by person card swipe, on a bunch of moving targets.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

To say that I am surprised is an understatement.  I have to assume that this has been approved by the IMO and RCI's class society, otherwise it would not be rolled out, but it is interesting that no mention of statutory requirements or approval is made in the press release.

Same here, flabbergasted being a reasonable description of feelings towards the changes. Sure glad I am retired.😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Same here, flabbergasted being a reasonable description of feelings towards the changes. Sure glad I am retired.😀

While RCI has offered the software to other lines, I'd be interested whether all class societies have approved this (or even the IMO for permanent usage), since it was "rolled out" on a small line with "optional" participation.  Will be interesting to see how this works out on the first cruises.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I'm very skeptical of RCI's "Muster 2.0."  It still requires passengers, after reviewing the video, to report to their muster stations to take a quiz.  How long will that take for each individual, and how do they expect this to be completed on a 6000+ passenger ship in the matter of only a few hours?  So now, instead of standing at muster all at once, they might potentially stand in a line for what'll probably be the same amount of time...or longer...to take their little test?  

I don't know.....RCI tends to be great at managing crowds, but I'll have to see this charade before I say it's a good idea.  

• Like 1

The comedy of the late Abbott and Costello has infected cruise executives thinking.  

NONE of US know nothing about what cruising will be like in any shape or form, including Muster Drills, until we get the Leadership from someone/somebody that will help us to get out of this MESS.  

It seems that some of the old comments about people who live in the “Sunbelt” have some merit - given the recent surge in infections, hospitalizations, and deaths due to their inability to learn from the experience of others — perhaps the sun really did bleach their brains.

11 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I'm very skeptical of RCI's "Muster 2.0."  It still requires passengers, after reviewing the video, to report to their muster stations to take a quiz.  How long will that take for each individual, and how do they expect this to be completed on a 6000+ passenger ship in the matter of only a few hours?  So now, instead of standing at muster all at once, they might potentially stand in a line for what'll probably be the same amount of time...or longer...to take their little test?  

I don't know.....RCI tends to be great at managing crowds, but I'll have to see this charade before I say it's a good idea.  

If your referring to this paragraph 

After reviewing safety information individually, guests will complete the drill by visiting their assigned assembly station, where a crew member will verify that all steps have been completed and answer questions. Each of the steps will need to be completed prior to the ship’s departure, as required by international maritime law."

I read that as if a passenger has questions the crew will answer them at that time, hopefully everyone won’t be taking a test. I could be wrong. 

11 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I don’t think they are adding a quiz element. Past muster drills didn’t have one. More like the ‘questions’ are asking If you watched the video, you to show whatever proof they use that you watched The video, and that you understand that that location is where to go in an emergency. The most efficient way to do this will be to have timed windows based on your check in/on board time. So if you board between 11-11:30 you have to check in between 12 and 12:30.... then they just run the ‘drill’ for an hour after people are done boarding. It will be less crowded than  people boarding since it everyone will be spread out across multiple muster stations. Yes, it will require passenger compliance. I like to believe that we are all adults that can follow rules. 

or if they want to be super slick about it. Send you a link to the video to watch at home. Some cruise lines don’t issue a seapass card at boarding anymore; they are at your room.... have the seapass cards at the muster stations. You check in and you get one. Will guarantee compliance.

Edited by sanger727