If Royal has to reduce it's Fleet, which ships will be first to go?

30 minutes ago, orville99 said:

IMO, the old, small ships will all eventually go. Any ship going into "cold" layup will never sail under the RCL banner again. Vision class will be first active ships to disappear, followed by radiance class. I also expect that RCL will begin replacing these ships with newbuilds that have similar vertical profiles (so RCL can continue to service popular markets like Baltimore, Tampa, Alaska, and European, but they will be both longer and wider to allow for capacity and amenities found on their larger ships.

Baltimore could be a casualty as well. Couldn't NJ serve those customers as well?

10 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Baltimore could be a casualty as well. Couldn't NJ serve those customers as well?

That will not go over well in the Baltimore market.  Baltimore is the absolute easiest port to get to, park in, etc.  CL is not.  The demand in both markets is very high.  Enchantment is coming here next year for a reason.  In fact, if it wasn't for the bridge height issue, there would be a larger ship here already.   For those of us who live in the DC area, a drive to NJ instead of Baltimore is a pain.  We normally take Amtrak.  It's certainly not as nice or easy a drive as it is between PC and FFL or Miami.

Edited by BND

1 minute ago, Dennis#1 said:

Sad news that RCCL wants to sell the Rhapsody.  I prefer the smaller ships.

Older ships, less efficiency, hence sooner or later no more "smaller" ships with Royal. For this they have X and Azamara + Silversea in their portfolio.

Who knows, in the long run it would be nice to see a replacement of the Radiance Class with a ship in size somewhere between Radiance and Voyager to be used for cruises other ships in the Royal fleet can't go especially for the one way Vancouver - Seward and vice versa itinararies but due to what I mentioned above this liekly will not happen.

1 hour ago, pcur said:

I agree.  We love the Rhapsody.  I wonder if they do (per the link to the sales ad), which ship will replace her out of Tampa?

Jewel would be a nice fit "if" the Rhapsody was no longer part of RC fleet. 

5 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

Older ships, less efficiency, hence sooner or later no more "smaller" ships with Royal. For this they have X and Azamara + Silversea in their portfolio.

Who knows, in the long run it would be nice to see a replacement of the Radiance Class with a ship in size somewhere between Radiance and Voyager to be used for cruises other ships in the Royal fleet can't go especially for the one way Vancouver - Seward and vice versa itinararies but due to what I mentioned above this liekly will not happen.

Sure hope RCCL continues to have cruise ships that can sail from Baltimore, Tampa and Seward.

Moved Explorer of the Seas September 2020 New England/ Canada to Rhapsody of the Seas March 2022 (Western Caribbean)because of Covid...........looks like we will be moving it again once there is no more Rhapsody of the Seas in Tampa in 2022...

Oh well we will be ready to find another ship and rebook that New England/ Canada cruise for fall of 2022.

Edited by Jimbo

39 minutes ago, BND said:

That will not go over well in the Baltimore market.  Baltimore is the absolute easiest port to get to, park in, etc.  CL is not.  The demand in both markets is very high.  Enchantment is coming here next year for a reason.  In fact, if it wasn't for the bridge height issue, there would be a larger ship here already.   For those of us who live in the DC area, a drive to NJ instead of Baltimore is a pain.  We normally take Amtrak.  It's certainly not as nice or easy a drive as it is between PC and FFL or Miami.

Absolutely, but the discussion is what happens if they retire everything smaller than Voyager.  And yes there will be some displeasure, but NJ is still viable for that NE corridor market 

Right now the way my luck is going, along with everyone else’s Rhapsody would sell before April next year when we’re scheduled to do B2B, the TA & Italy. So far we’re only out two cruises that have been canceled. Next up for us in Allure in Nov.

Edited by mworkman

On 5/23/2020 at 3:45 PM, davekathy said:

Looking forward to our Rhapsody B2B cruise, March 2021. 

I believe it is the Rhapsody that is currently for sale for $250 million.  Someone posting a copy of the online listing earlier this month and we all decided we buy it and use it like a timeshare!!  Lol

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I believe it is the Rhapsody that is currently for sale for $250 million.  Someone posting a copy of the online listing earlier this month and we all decided we buy it and use it like a timeshare!!  Lol

The price was $150 million..... but on May 28th though the price was lowered to $85 Million.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1997/cruise-ship-2417-passengers-stock-no-s2509-3024096/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Tampa might be a casualty.  It's not like there aren't 3 other departure ports available for that market 

I could see it disappearing in the beginning, and maybe coming back after things have stabilized.  To get from Tampa to PC isn’t a terribly long drive for those that want to sail. 

1 hour ago, Saab4444 said:

They will not sell any ship now because no cruise line has money to buy ships...

And then there is that slight issue as well. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, orville99 said:

I also expect that RCL will begin replacing these ships with newbuilds that have similar vertical profiles

There's been no indication that RCI will build anything smaller, certainly nothing short enough to fit into Baltimore.

5 hours ago, cruisnfool said:

I know Royal likes bigger and the profit margin is better. I just thought with changes the cdc may require will call for smaller crowds in restaurants and showrooms.

I think more public space at reduced occupancy on Oasis class

• Like 2

5 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

I wouldm't be real surprised if at least one of the Oasis class ships is temporarily shutdown. There are limited docks and terminals that can handle this size ship unless tendering would be an option. 

Luckily thats not an issue for Coco Cay 

4 hours ago, Jimbo said:

The price was $150 million..... but on May 28th though the price was lowered to $85 Million.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1997/cruise-ship-2417-passengers-stock-no-s2509-3024096/

Whoops I thought it was 250 mil.  $85 mil sounds more doable for the timeshare plan.  Lol!

How much did Grandeur sell for?

5 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Looking forward to our Rhapsody B2B cruise, March 2021.