Celebrity Cruises Favorite food.

josephml1

9 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

We no longer eat in the MDR, the food is really bad.

I guess it's a matter of opinion. Yes, the food quality has declined over the years but I would not go so far as to say it's bad. If I don't fancy something on the menu I'll have a few appetizers, sometimes a dessert depending on the menu or I'll eat my dessert at cafe el Bacio. 

Yes definitely a matter of opinion but I have noticed here that there are very few fave dishes from the MDR, they are mostly from Blu and Specialty Restaurants.

We know others who would eat from a pigs trough and say it is delicious. So yes, a matter of taste. 

23 minutes ago, Cruiz'nBaers said:

I have enjoyed every meal on Celebrity, but, my husband would be very disappointed if they discontinued the escargot every evening.  I know that he has it every night.

I also used to have it every evening in the MDR but the recipe has changed and lacking the extra garlic flavour.  Just my opinion. 

2 hours ago, jonthomas said:

Here you go. We no longer eat in the MDR, the food is really bad. Since  class distinction now rules Celebrity, MDR is the worst of the dining options. Celeb wants you to spend the big bucks, stay in suites and eat in designated venues.

Not for us. We have almost switched to Viking and Oceania. Just have one more Celeb cruise left because of a particular itinerary. Will not eat in MDR, no longer expect quality and taste there. Buffet is still ok, can have something made to order. 

So there you are, hope that satisfies those who have asked for comments for least favorite. But alas I have not named any specific foods....onion soup used to be amazing, now not edible...there is the word you have been waiting for, processed turkey, it is iridescent, but when you point it out to a waiter, they will tell you, no sir it is just off the bone. Ok enough, no more for us. You can fool some of the people.....you know how that goes...

apologies for being off the initial topic, I really try and not do that... 

This reminds me -----When the Server comes to the table, does he/she ask " is everything ok or is anything ok " ???

Being from a French Canadian culture , with due respect, we know our " Food ".

As far as my favorite food on Celebrity -- too many to list.

We have sailed on Celebrity about 16 times and have enjoyed most meals in the MDR .We always find something to enjoy . In fact, on some of the S class ships there is an app with the daily dining menu which we review ahead of time. That's how we select the nights for the Specialty restaurants.

The Specialty restaurants that we go to are superb ( Murano, Lawn Club Grill , Tuscan Grill ) as far as food quality , presentation, and service. 

Class distinction ??? Total BS--- Never felt it, don't stay in Suites , never had poor service. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, drakes2 said:

The beef short ribs that they serve during the concierge class luncheon. So yummy and fall off the bone. 

My dinner mates each night tease me because the majority of nights I just cannot get past the yummy chocolate cake and a scoop of vanilla ice-cream!  Yum!

4 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I guess it's a matter of opinion. Yes, the food quality has declined over the years but I would not go so far as to say it's bad. If I don't fancy something on the menu I'll have a few appetizers, sometimes a dessert depending on the menu or I'll eat my dessert at cafe el Bacio. 

We have had very few bad dinners in the MDR while on Celebrity cruises.  And, no, I would certainly NOT eat from a pig trough either!  I must give Celebrity kudos on assigning dinner mates in the MDR.  We have had 4 Celebrity cruises and met the most wonderful people to share our evening meal with.  We even stay in touch with some of them.  Back to the subject though:  if you want bad food in the MDR, go on a Carnival cruise.  McDonalds looked great to us after we left the Carnival ship!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, josephml1 said:

Mine are:

the escargot, 

the Rack of lamb.

and the simple one. 
a cheese plate with a glass of wine

How could I forget the cheese plate...
Love the cheese plate - great anytime...
Appetizer

Salad Plate
Soup Option
Entree

Dessert

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Denny01 said:

I try things that aren’t common in local restaurants.....lamb and escargot, and many of the soups. Hold off on most of the deserts and sneak over to El Bacio later to finish it all off!!

I’m surprised we haven’t heard from the ‘Nothing is edible in the MDR’s’ posters!! I really miss them. 

Truly enjoyed the Edge’s four MDRs with their special dishes in each and the fun at the Edge restaurant. I enjoy beef and so on but cutting back and usually don’t get it on board in order to try other dishes. More than a few times have done the 3 or 4 appetizers as a meal.....I think good app’s is the mark of an good restaurant. 

Den

I think even the MDR looks good to them right about now.

11 hours ago, Pinboy said:

This reminds me -----When the Server comes to the table, does he/she ask " is everything ok or is anything ok " ???

Being from a French Canadian culture , with due respect, we know our " Food ".

As far as my favorite food on Celebrity -- too many to list.

We have sailed on Celebrity about 16 times and have enjoyed most meals in the MDR .We always find something to enjoy . In fact, on some of the S class ships there is an app with the daily dining menu which we review ahead of time. That's how we select the nights for the Specialty restaurants.

The Specialty restaurants that we go to are superb ( Murano, Lawn Club Grill , Tuscan Grill ) as far as food quality , presentation, and service. 

Class distinction ??? Total BS--- Never felt it, don't stay in Suites , never had poor service. 

Oh yes the server always asks...then the maître  d' comes over, then the chef...if you want to waste your whole dinner time explaining how the recipe is no longer the same, or that the sliced turkey is definitely processed meat...

no class distinction you say, just try and eat in blu if you are not aquaclass or in Luminae if you are not in a suite...you will promptly be  told to go below deck where you belong...that is classism to me..

and it is not about how many times you have sailed...we have sailed over 40 on Celeb...

"never felt it, never had poor service  and probably never had a bad meal.....all of it BS".....again pigs trough comes to mind....

apologies for being off topic...

In the buffet I do have fresh salmon grilled when available. Usually just the chicken breast or a thin new york strip. They also used to have small lambchops and filet mignon but due to budget  cuts they  are  no longer available.. that comment is straight from the m'aitre d in the buffet...

When they are up to sail, who knows if the buffet will meet the CDC standards or   will be allowed to make anything fresh….I will be doomed to the MDR....but alas only have one more cruise with Celeb and then only Viking or Oceania. No would never consider Carnival and not just because of the food. Again that is a whole other topic.

• Haha 1

We usually do B2B cruises in suites and it's common practice for the Chef's to introduce themselves. They often recognize that we are on the ship for close to a month and ask if there is anything they can offer that is not on the menu.  Since we like to experience food from other places, we often will that the chef make something that is from their country.  We've had two amazing dishes from these options. One was Lamb Biryani as the chef was from Hyderabad, India.  Wow.  The second was jerked chicken from a Jamaican chef.  We've had other great ones, but these two stood out.  We really appreciate the staff going the extra mile.  They are amazing.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

Oh yes the server always asks...then the maître  d' comes over, then the chef...if you want to waste your whole dinner time explaining how the recipe is no longer the same, or that the sliced turkey is definitely processed meat...

no class distinction you say, just try and eat in blu if you are not aquaclass or in Luminae if you are not in a suite...you will promptly be  told to go below deck where you belong...that is classism to me..

and it is not about how many times you have sailed...we have sailed over 40 on Celeb...

"never felt it, never had poor service  and probably never had a bad meal.....all of it BS".....again pigs trough comes to mind....

apologies for being off topic...

In the buffet I do have fresh salmon grilled when available. Usually just the chicken breast or a thin new york strip. They also used to have small lambchops and filet mignon but due to budget  cuts they  are  no longer available.. that comment is straight from the m'aitre d in the buffet...

When they are up to sail, who knows if the buffet will meet the CDC standards or   will be allowed to make anything fresh….I will be doomed to the MDR....but alas only have one more cruise with Celeb and then only Viking or Oceania. No would never consider Carnival and not just because of the food. Again that is a whole other topic.

Did you notice --- " Being from a French Canadian culture , with due respect, we know our " Food ".

".....again pigs trough comes to mind...."

Very classy comment-- 

" no class distinction you say, just try and eat in blu if you are not aquaclass or in Luminae "

It's called " level of service ", the same as going to a show and paying for a more expensive seat.

" only Viking or Oceania " 

I hope you don't run out of Cruise Lines to " serve " you. 

1 hour ago, jonthomas said:

<<<SNIP>>>

<<<SNIP>>>

<<<SNIP>>>

...but alas only have one more cruise with Celeb and then only Viking or Oceania. No would never consider Carnival and not just because of the food. Again that is a whole other topic.

Classism?  Really??

So what's the difference between paying extra for a suite and paying extra for an upscale cruise line?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C-Dragons said:

So sad.

This was a nice thread on a positive and refreshing topic.
Didn’t take long for it to devolve.

Yeah, I guess the board is getting back to "normal".  😂

O is not upscale if you take modest accommodation and know how to include what you need. We don't need drink packages. All we need, sodas, coffees are included. 

Not only "French Canadians" have taste in food. 

Yup board getting back to normal. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The classism definition makes me laugh.  But back to the subject at hand.  I have always found really good to great food onboard. I have not been to luminaire since I have no need to pay for a suite so I guess since I can’t get in there I’m part of the subject of classism to funny, Room is to sleep in n store clothes but that’s my opinion I know many enjoy the little extras.  I know food well, went to culinary institute in ny and worked and ran hotels n restaurants for 25ish years.  I like the main dining room and only once in all my cruises can I think of I didn’t enjoy it.  Was mainly because of family that was traveling with us at that time.  I enjoy the escargot and many of the other dishes on board. The only thing I truly did not like was last year on reflection on thanksgiving they made a terrible stuffing. It was just bad.  LCG is one of my favs just because it’s food done simple n well.   I always find great things in buffet n like the rotating themes there.  

• Like 1