Canada issuing moratorium on cruise ships until October 31st, 2020

kazu

23 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Here's a column from The Globe and Mail, titled:  "In the war on Covid-19, Canadians are deferential, Americans defiant.  Who's right?"  The column states that, compared to Americans, "Canadians have been more submissive, willing to heed the government's desire to extend the lockdown with hardly a word of dissent."  The column continues:  "Canadians' deferential tendencies have been around since the counterrevolutionary United Empire Loyalists fled north, leaving the American revolutionaries behind."

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-in-the-war-on-covid-19-canadians-are-deferential-americans-defiant/

I don’t know if deferential is the right word even if the Globe and Mail chose to use it.

Canadians tend to listen to science and medical professionals.  All of our parties have come together on this issue.  There is no partisanship.  No “I’m not wearing a mask”.  Our Prime Minister (love him or hate him) wore a mask today in public.

We do what’s right for our health and the health of others.  I don’t know if that really makes us deferential as much as considerate.  

And in New Brunswick the outrage at one health professional that ignored quarantine and caused an outbreak and now, our first death is huge. Very sad as normally we do listen and try do what’s right to protect everyone.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Canadians tend to listen to science and medical professionals.  All of our parties have come together on this issue.  There is no partisanship.  No “I’m not wearing a mask”.  Our Prime Minister (love him or hate him) wore a mask today in public.

Some Canadians like to export masks, too, along with other substances.  Quite ingenious, actually.

https://nationalpost.com/news/meth-from-canada-is-discovered-in-covid-19-mask-and-sanitizer-packages-sent-to-australia

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kazu said:

I have had my "hands slapped" on this Forum as well as another that I regularly participate for making what are perceived as "too political" comments.  I hope this comment is not so considered.  

I strongly agree with your post.  I wish that was the case in the United States.    

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

I'll make another attempt to cultivate your sense of humor.  Here's a column about masks and dogs.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/gene-weingarten-who-was-that-masked-man-fido/2020/05/29/1d7b0396-9605-11ea-91d7-cf4423d47683_story.html

Thanks for trying.  I don’t subscribe to Washington post. I do get updates from them on email but I’m not about to subscribe for the sake of an article.  And, yes, covid can stay on the dogs’ fur for a bit but that’s the limit of it.  No one touches our dogs other than us so all are safe.

My sense of humour is pretty lame with a broken foot and covid and the unrest in the world, sorry.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Thanks for trying.  I don’t subscribe to Washington post. I do get updates from them on email but I’m not about to subscribe for the sake of an article.  And, yes, covid can stay on the dogs’ fur for a bit but that’s the limit of it.  No one touches our dogs other than us so all are safe.

My sense of humour is pretty lame with a broken foot and covid and the unrest in the world, sorry.  

Most all of us are suffering these days.   you are not   unique   in that regard.

I cannot think of any friend or acquaintance that is happy as a lark  during these rough times.

All  for our own circumstances  and reasons, with,  of course, the heavy emphasis on covid 19

Edited by sail7seas
  • Like 1

Not survive in warm weather?   Nonsense.   Been listening to some politciians?

It is raging in Latin America at the moment.  Just google covid in South America.   Start with Brazil.  Check the weather for yourself.

Rio temperatures highs are averaging 25C, Porto Alegra in the south daily highs 34C.  Brasilia 20C.

Was that person a politician by any chance?

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Canadians being deferential people, I thought they deferred to their politicians.  "Peace, order, and good government," or something like that.

You really are having an issue with the fact that Canada is doing pretty good in this pandemic, aren't you?  Why not try to learn from us instead of wasting energy lashing out.  The New York Times article quoted on our Dr. Henry here in BC is a testament to the fact that we do, indeed, follow the science and place our trust in our medics, and not necessarily the politicians - though they have done a pretty good job, too, regardless of party affiliation.  Deferential?  Whatever.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Well then, at least Brazil should be safe! Oh wait...

My daughter lives in Egypt and it is HOT there right now.  They've just finished a week of lockdown with everything closed after 6 (or maybe 7?) Egypt has done well, but there was a lot of "respiratory illnesses" in the winter before COVID was making the news. 

9 hours ago, T8NCruise said:

You really are having an issue with the fact that Canada is doing pretty good in this pandemic, aren't you?  Why not try to learn from us instead of wasting energy lashing out.  The New York Times article quoted on our Dr. Henry here in BC is a testament to the fact that we do, indeed, follow the science and place our trust in our medics, and not necessarily the politicians - though they have done a pretty good job, too, regardless of party affiliation.  Deferential?  Whatever.

We scored with Dr. Henry.  Be Kind, Be safe, Be calm.  

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Himself said:

People much wiser than me in science have told me that viruses cannot survive in warmer weather.

That person could be right. 

Perhaps all those reports of cvirus deaths in Brazil, other parts of South America, and India are not true...just fake news.

Or perhaps the Weather Channel has been posting fake daily temperatures in those areas.  Could be that it is actually quite cold in those areas at the moment.

Not.

Edited by iancal
  • Haha 2

They do so at their own peril. Failure to do so could well mean defeat at the polls.   We trust our politicians to the point where we believe strongly  in trust but verify.   More emphasis on the verify than on the trust part. 

If it came down to choosing the advice of a politician or a public health expert/scientist I suspect that 99 percent would go with the latter.  There would of course be a very small few who would go with their favourite politician.

11 hours ago, T8NCruise said:

Don't get overwrought.  I have no problem at all with Canada's response to the pandemic.  I was simply responding to a comment, by a Canadian, that dumped on Canada's politicians.  Echoing a position that Canada's national paper expressed (see link below), I suggested that Canadians tend to be deferential toward their politicians.  That's all.  Relax and don't be so sensitive.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-in-the-war-on-covid-19-canadians-are-deferential-americans-defiant/

Edited by DaveSJ711

21 hours ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Here's a column from The Globe and Mail, titled:  "In the war on Covid-19, Canadians are deferential, Americans defiant.  Who's right?"  The column states that, compared to Americans, "Canadians have been more submissive, willing to heed the government's desire to extend the lockdown with hardly a word of dissent."  The column continues:  "Canadians' deferential tendencies have been around since the counterrevolutionary United Empire Loyalists fled north, leaving the American revolutionaries behind."

17 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Don't get overwrought.  I have no problem at all with Canada's response to the pandemic.  I was simply responding to a comment, by a Canadian, that dumped on Canada's politicians.  Similar to a sentiment expressed in Canada's national paper (see link below), I suggested that Canadians tend to be deferential toward their politicians.  That's all.  Relax and don't be so sensitive.

I think one post on this link sufficed.  Repeating it is just like...

D9DED29A-A0EE-4546-B6E0-9665FAC42384.gif.949ad019e6db71ea4ee083e27123b7b2.gif

12 hours ago, iancal said:

Not survive in warm weather?   Nonsense.   Been listening to some politciians?

It is raging in Latin America at the moment.  Just google covid in South America.   Start with Brazil.  Check the weather for yourself.

Rio temperatures highs are averaging 25C, Porto Alegra in the south daily highs 34C.  Brasilia 20C.

Was that person a politician by any chance?

Manaus had it very bad and the temps there are always in the 30 and up range, often 35 - 40C.

1 hour ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Echoing a position that Canada's national paper expressed (see link below), I suggested that Canadians tend to be deferential toward their politicians. 

Clarification.  That newspaper is ONE of the national newspapers, not THE national paper.  So you may want to read some more before you echo only one of them. In truth, we are not deferential to our politicians.  We are trusting the information provided by our scientific and medical personnel.   

To alleviate financial pressures on Canadian citizens, the government (Canadian taxpayers) is providing many of us with financial support.  We have less financial pressure than people have experienced from the Covid virus in other countries. We, our kids, and our grandkids will be paying off that debt for decades, perhaps longer.  This is really the most cohesive I can remember Canadian society being, working together to do what is in the best interests of all Canadians.

So please don't call us deferential.  If you need a descriptor, "focused" or "determined" or "united in the struggle" would be more appropriate.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VennDiagram said:

Clarification.  That newspaper is ONE of the national newspapers, not THE national paper.  So you may want to read some more before you echo only one of them. In truth, we are not deferential to our politicians.  We are trusting the information provided by our scientific and medical personnel.  

So please don't call us deferential.  If you need a descriptor, "focused" or "determined" or "united in the struggle" would be more appropriate.

Thanks for suggesting that I read some more.  Here are some other pieces I found, all by Canadian authors.

As for The Globe and Mail, I've read the paper throughout Canada (I've been to every province).  I thought its ubiquity and circulation made it a national paper.  Mea culpa.

https://www.toronto.com/opinion-story/9952791-canadians-aren-t-rebelling-against-dr-theresa-tam-s-orders-but-they-might-be-starting-to-bristle/  ("remarkable deference to the authority of Canada's chief health officer")

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/06/opinion/jordan-peterson-canadian-deference.html  ("Canadian deference" versus "American defiance")

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/andrew-potter-canada-needs-more-contrarian-thinking-on-covid-19-measures  (Canadians "trust their governments" and "tend to do as they are asked")