Ncl new covid19 response. Good planning.

cementhands

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

So, he was informing me they will cruise in the next several weeks.

Cruising in "the next several weeks" is not possible as the CDC No Sail Order does not expire until July 24 and NCL already cancelled all cruises though July 31. NCLH CEO Frank Del Rio has stated that they're looking at late third quarter to early fourth quarter as a target for the restart.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

Atriums on ships get very busy.  Getting people there to stay six feet away from you in that venue shows the folly of social distancing on board a vessel.

Thats why the no. of passengers will be only 30 to 50 % of the regular capacity

28 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

That won't really matter.  It's impossible to social distance on a ship.  I highly doubt that any ship will sail at only 30% capacity anyway.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

That won't really matter.  It's impossible to social distance on a ship.  I highly doubt that any ship will sail at only 30% capacity anyway.

Based on the fact that 30% is Breakeven according to Del Rio it might. Price and onboard services will be the issue.

Regards 

5 hours ago, hallux said:

During the early days of temp checks for people entering office complexes I heard of a few people turned away because the no-touch thermometers read a high temp but what had actually happened was that the person had the heat in their car on full blast and their forehead was warmer as a result.  I can only imagine coming back from a day at the beach, having a slightly elevated temp after laying in the sun all day and being flagged for a fever.  Quarantined to the room - cruise ruined.

Even after a day of wandering the port city I could see elevated temps being an issue if it's hot enough.

Take paracetamol  and hour before you get on - temperature will fall. Temp test is anything but fool proof 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bmwman said:

Take paracetamol  and hour before you get on - temperature will fall. Temp test is anything but fool proof 

Thanks for the tip. Can I get it over the counter?

And that's the problem with the masses, someone will try to hide their symptoms because they don't want to lose their "right" to vacation and spread it onboard. No filter is going to help you if they cough or talk moistly in your face. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, JustAPilot said:

And that's the problem with the masses, someone will try to hide their symptoms because they don't want to lose their "right" to vacation and spread it onboard. No filter is going to help you if they cough or talk moistly in your face. 

That's my point, let me be clear I would never do it.

8 hours ago, FLAHAM said:

When I'm in a chair for trivia in the Atrium, be sure to stay six feet away from me.  

Also, please stay six feet away from me in ship elevators.  

• Like 1

I also noticed that email didn’t say a word about masks. I thought that was odd.

As far as the temperature checks I do have a concern that a lot of people who are simply overheated are going to be turned away or quarantined. My mom had a hair appointment the other day and sat in the car until they texted her that she could go in and she read 100.3 just from sitting in the warm car for a few minutes.  100.4 seems to be going number for being denied access.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

It's good PR to start getting the word out as best they can.  The social distancing piece gets me though.  If we still have to practice social distancing measures then maybe it's too soon to cruise.

Agreed!  Fairly strategic by pointing out the filters, increased cleaning, medical equipment, no pax masks but will indeed will be social distancing.

15 hours ago, hallux said:

I posted this in another thread where this information was shared.  The reduced capacity concerns me.  I rely on inside or studio cabins or a good deal on a balcony to sail.  With reduced capacity (and likely temporarily eliminated inside cabins) I likely won't be on a cruise ship for 12-18 months even if cruising restarts in August or September.

They'll likely shut down entire decks, not only do they still want to advertise the cheap inside cabins pricing, blocking off decks is more manageable.  No one has to clean the handrails, vacuum the deck carpet if no one is there.

12 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

It's a whole bunch of window dressing, folks.  The cruise lines, while implementing some changes, are going to do what they need to do to appease the government entities initially and then most likely it will be back to normal after an appropriate period of time for the customers.

Completely agree; social distancing where ever possible.  While some things may stay like the better HVAC, everything else they're doing is reversible.

9 hours ago, CruiseMH said:

My best guess, no less than 50% initially then the average is 60-70%.

3 hours ago, Lbicklel said:

I also noticed that email didn’t say a word about masks. I thought that was odd.

As far as the temperature checks I do have a concern that a lot of people who are simply overheated are going to be turned away or quarantined. My mom had a hair appointment the other day and sat in the car until they texted her that she could go in and she read 100.3 just from sitting in the warm car for a few minutes.  100.4 seems to be going number for being denied access.

My best guess with temps, I would imagine they'll do some testing and figure this all out prior to the first pax sailing.  There are an extremely small amount of crew members relieving other crew members every week who are boarding the ships and are getting their temps taken.

5 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

They'll likely shut down entire decks, not only do they still want to advertise the cheap inside cabins pricing, blocking off decks is more manageable.  No one has to clean the handrails, vacuum the deck carpet if no one is there.

Possibly, but I cannot see them including the stairways because many will not use elevators. That would mean all staircase handrails and carpets will require cleaning.

7 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Possibly, but those prices will still be higher...

2 hours ago, hamrag said:

Possibly, but I cannot see them including the stairways because many will not use elevators. That would mean all staircase handrails and carpets will require cleaning.

On the 3 ships I've been on the stairways are open to the elevator lobby.  By "closing off entire decks" @NutsAboutGolf was referring to leaving the fire doors closed so the hallways to the cabins on those decks are inaccessible.  Shutting down the stairways is simply not possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, hftmrock said:

could you explain this? I didn't think they were starting until later 3rd quarter or early 4th quarter which I would not define as the next several weeks. are you talking about running some tests with crew only?

He didn't make any point about when they'd cruise.  Just that they're doing the inspections and process reviews to get ready to cruise in the next several weeks.  I guess that would put us in Q3 and Q4.

41 minutes ago, hallux said:

@graphicguy your friend is working on the gas turbine engine(s) and attached generator(s) in the Millenium?  I didn't think GE had a presence in the Diesel generator market for cruise ships.

He works for GE Aviation, who provides engines for Marine use (cruise ships).

Edited by graphicguy

3 hours ago, hallux said:

On the 3 ships I've been on the stairways are open to the elevator lobby.  By "closing off entire decks" @NutsAboutGolf was referring to leaving the fire doors closed so the hallways to the cabins on those decks are inaccessible.  Shutting down the stairways is simply not possible.

👍 👍

Honestly, I have no idea how they plan to regulate social distancing. To me it sounds impossible. No news about buffet as well btw. How are they going to manage all that with so many people on board? Are they going to draw red lines all over the ship? This is rediculous. The only option I see so far is a mask policy being mandatory.. but even mask wont really protect you from anything 

27 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

He works for GE Aviation, who provides engines for Marine use (cruise ships).

Those aren't used widely for cruise ships, I think most cruise ships are diesel-electric.  The ones he's working on are gas turbines, effectively jet engines mounted in the belly of the ship.

Edited by hallux

15 hours ago, Lbicklel said:

I think that masks are not going to be a necessity. People can wear them if they choose, but not required.

8 hours ago, deliver42 said:

You are in the Caribbean, and the temp is 95 degrees. After a tour or the beach, don't you think you would show hi temp?

So...from experience at our office this week. The Temperature guns that will be used are the same we have here. We've tested them with "hot flashes" and with people who have sun burns, and even after being in front of a heater (I have one at my desk) and it doesn't make the temp go over the 100.3 thresh hold that is the turn away point.

30 minutes ago, hallux said:

Those aren't used widely for cruise ships, I think most cruise ships are diesel-electric.  The ones he's working on are gas turbines, effectively jet engines mounted in the belly of the ship.

All I know is he’s working on Royal, Princess and Celebrity cruise ships.  What the cruise companies have required him to do is to get the engines inspected, maintained and ready to go.  Don’t know about the type of engines, just that they’re used in cruise ships.

He said he’s on ships for the next 90 days in preparation.  

• Like 1