What level of infection is acceptable

35 minutes ago, sugcarol said:

There were many cruises taking place at the same time, but only saw a few that had COVID, what about all the other ships? Did all the ships have COVID?

Here is the list of ships.  This list doesn’t include ships without US ports of call.    The Diamond and Ruby Princess aren’t even on it And the Diamond is the most famous.

By my count 14 confirmed ships on the list and 12 ships with people becoming positive within 14 days disembarkation.   

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/cruise-ship/what-cdc-is-doing.html

And this was before the virus became An all out raging inferno in the US and Latin America.

The media had moved on from cruise ships by the time the cruise ships were getting totally nailed.  Most don’t even know about the biggest disaster of all them, the Ruby Princess.

Edited by rimmit

On 6/2/2020 at 9:54 AM, rtazz17 said:

Many viruses never get a vaccine. Just because theres hype for a vaccine,it doesnt mean it will ever come. The reality is we need to live with this virus among other viruses we live with. Unless you just want to stop living. Focus on making your body healthy and resilient to infections. If your already unhealthy then yes you should be fearful. 

According to the news in the last 24 hours, there will most likely be a vaccine in the new year.  I'm not looking for 100%, just a little boost to fight it off.

1 hour ago, Dennis#1 said:

I would think that those people with weakened immune systems should be the first to get the COVID-19 vaccine and the flu shot.

Unfortunately, that's not the case.  Having a live virus put into your body can cause illness.  My husband had Dengue fever so has to be very careful.  And if you are on certain potent drugs, eg. Enbrel - you are very susceptible.  Vaccines are not for everyone.  And check how many people die every year from the flu vaccine.

NJ 

32 minutes ago, NJ&Ozzie said:

Unfortunately, that's not the case.  Having a live virus put into your body can cause illness.  My husband had Dengue fever so has to be very careful.  And if you are on certain potent drugs, eg. Enbrel - you are very susceptible.  Vaccines are not for everyone.  And check how many people die every year from the flu vaccine.

NJ 

One research analysis examined data related to apparent deaths associated with vaccines and found that, for most vaccines, death rates hover around one or two deaths per million doses. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJ&Ozzie said:

NJ 

The flu shots do not contain the live virus.  It is the nasal spray that contains the live virus that those with compromised immune systems or taking immunosuppressant medications should avoid.  While everyone is different and each individual could have a number of different conditions leading to different responses it has been recommended to me that I should definitely be getting the flu shot as well as the pneumonia and shingles vaccines even with me taking immunosuppressant medication. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, NJ&Ozzie said:

And if you have a weakened immune system to begin with, some say it's best not to take a vaccine or flu shot.

NJ 

Who says that? Certainly not any medical professional I know.

I am immune compromised and also belong to a support group.  All of our docs pretty much demand we get a flu vaccine every year and also recommend everyone in the household gets one for added protection. My hematologist also recommends I get a pneumonia vaccine even though I am not old enough yet and the shingles vaccine.  Of course there will always be individual cases who should not get one, but that should be on the recommendation of their physician. But for the majority, vaccines protect the immune compromised as most vaccines are not live vaccines.

I will be one of the first in line for the covid-19 vaccine as long as it has been tested thoroughly and my physician recommends it.

Edited by cured
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, NJ&Ozzie said:

And if you have a weakened immune system to begin with, some say it's best not to take a vaccine or flu shot.

NJ 

Those are exactly the people who should be getting vaccines, since they are most susceptible to illness and poor outcones. Vaccines cannot be given when people are significantly immunosuppresed, such as those under going a bone marrow transplant, but they get their vaccines before starting the process.

(40 years in the medical field)

16 hours ago, Dennis#1 said:

I would think that those people with weakened immune systems should be the first to get the COVID-19 vaccine and the flu shot.

Some vaccines are live viruses and doctors do not recommend those immuno compromised fetuses those vaccines.  Hoping the one for covid will not be a live virus so my DH get it.

On 6/2/2020 at 11:37 AM, partiamo said:

I do not have a cruise until next April, but I started wondering what level of covid infection would be acceptable and I would still go on a cruise?  For example, by my calculation there are some 300 cruises scheduled for August and September 2020 in the Caribbean.  From 3 days on up.  It seems to me, no matter what protocols are in place, there will be some level of infection on these cruises, just as there is, and will be, some level throughout the US.  So, what level would people find acceptable and still go on the cruise?

1.  Would it be one case on any cruise?

2.  Would it be only X% of all cruises, even if but one case?

3.  Would it be a number not to exceed X% on any and all ships?

4.  Or something else I have not considered?

I would love to hear your comments.

Because we are going to have to learn to live in a Covid-19 world,  there will always be some cases out there. 

Of the 300 cruises scheduled in that time frame, the "acceptable" number for my personal comfort level is single digits. Less than 10 cruises can be affected and less than 10 people on each cruise. Any more than that, I would start to get leery of getting on a ship. 

Some exception would be if a certain ship or port seems more affected. For example, if 5 of the 9 cruises originate from Miami, even thought its within my comfort level, I'd be less likely to sail out of Miami.

Also, how a ship responds to a case.  If the case surfaces on day 2 and the ship has to return to port, that would cause me to hesitate.  

Edited by HBE4

12 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The flu shots do not contain the live virus.  It is the nasal spray that contains the live virus that those with compromised immune systems or taking immunosuppressant medications should avoid.  While everyone is different and each individual could have a number of different conditions leading to different responses it has been recommended to me that I should definitely be getting the flu shot as well as the pneumonia and shingles vaccines even with me taking immunosuppressant medication. 

Thanks Ken.  Will check this out then for sure.

NJ 

• Like 1

I wish the news, CDC, and medical field would produce factual data. We tested 1,000 people for the first 8-weeks. It averaged It average 30 people per week. We are now testing 20,000 per week and the number of cases have skyrocketed to 70 cases per week. What they are not telling you is they have no clue how many people are infected mainly because MANY people that have contracted it show absolutely no signs and it does not impact them in the slightest. Until the CDC, news, and medical field start stating that, then anything they say is a lie.

Yes, I know 2 people that have been or are infected with CV19. Neither one of them have had a fever, showed any signs, or anything. If they weren't forced to take the test because of their jobs, you would have never know it. The 14-day quarantine is the same as any other day in the life. No signs, no impact, nothing. So, unless all the tourists places are going to actually perform an actual test, even then it would be a waste, it won't matter.

• Like 2

On 6/3/2020 at 8:38 PM, NJ&Ozzie said:

NJ 

Why don't you tell me how many - it's going to be insignificant compared  to the number who die each year from the flu.  From what I have read there have been some allergic reactions to the egg proteins in the shot that have been removed so that problem has been eliminated.

If a person has a proven medical reason for not get any vaccine then that is between them and their doctor to make the decision.  All I know is if I can get a C19 shot that will allow me to start living normal life again where I can be with friends and family and especially babysit my 5 year old grandson, then sign me up.  

Vaccines are good and overwhelmingly keep people immune from nasty illnesses.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, cured said:

Who says that? Certainly not any medical professional I know.

I am immune compromised and also belong to a support group.  All of our docs pretty much demand we get a flu vaccine every year and also recommend everyone in the household gets one for added protection. My hematologist also recommends I get a pneumonia vaccine even though I am not old enough yet and the shingles vaccine.  Of course there will always be individual cases who should not get one, but that should be on the recommendation of their physician. But for the majority, vaccines protect the immune compromised as most vaccines are not live vaccines.

I will be one of the first in line for the covid-19 vaccine as long as it has been tested thoroughly and my physician recommends it.

My 86 year old Dad has been receiving IVIG infusions every 28 days for over 30 years. He's done remarkably well but his hematologist says no live virus vaccines. If one is suffering immunodeficiency disease then the best advice is to follow doctors orders.

21 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Some vaccines are live viruses and doctors do not recommend those immuno compromised fetuses those vaccines.  Hoping the one for covid will not be a live virus so my DH get it.

Sorry everyone for my typo.  I fixed it but guess it didnt save.  It was suppose to say get those not fetuses. 

My Dh take immuno suppressant medications and we both get flu and pneumonia vaccines every fall but he is not allowed to get shingles vaccines per his infectious disease doctor.   Hoping the covid vaccine will not be a live virus vaccine.  

On 6/3/2020 at 8:38 PM, NJ&Ozzie said:

NJ 

There were 183 anaphylactic reactions to the flu shot last year, Which may or may not have led to death. There were 60,000 deaths from the flu alone. I think the odds are good that you'll do okay with the flu shot. Yes, as statedof people with a significant immunosuppression such as from enbrel or chemotherapy shouldn't get it. 

1 hour ago, MommaBear55 said:

There were 183 anaphylactic reactions to the flu shot last year, Which may or may not have led to death. There were 60,000 deaths from the flu alone. I think the odds are good that you'll do okay with the flu shot. Yes, as statedof people with a significant immunosuppression such as from enbrel or chemotherapy shouldn't get it. 

Great - thanks.  Will definitely talk to our doctor.

NJ 

1 hour ago, MommaBear55 said:

Great information.  Thanks for posting.

I doubt that you can measure infection level cause at the end it comes to where it is there or not. Low level or high level doesn't make much of a difference. There should be either a vaccine to be already released or the prolongation of the isolation regime to let the virus die by itself. I wonder how long it will last