Europe Staying Closed to USA

CPT Trips

SO glad our borders are closed.  Humour crossing the border is the least of the issue and I definitely did not see any humour in your post.

Edited by Senga
Expanding comment.

1 hour ago, Senga said:

SO glad our borders are closed.  Humour crossing the border is the least of the issue and I definitely did not see any humour in your post.

I miss my sister who lives in Rochester (I haven't seen her in over 6 months) but I too am very glad that the border is closed.

4 hours ago, gnome12 said:

I miss my sister who lives in Rochester (I haven't seen her in over 6 months) but I too am very glad that the border is closed.

I live in Rochester and miss being able to visit Canada, but agree that keeping the border closed makes sense.

• Like 1

I'd be happy just to see my family in Canada.  The East Coast provinces are not allowing visitors in, only if you own property or now, if you are from one of the 3 provinces.  

I am sorry for both of you @gnome12 and @KathyK13 but I really hope our borders remain closed until the virus is more controlled in the States.  I see they are now actually charging American tourists who are coming up here and not doing the quarantine.  They better watch out, if they get to many, they could end up doing jail time, and that would interfere with them coming up to their summer homes.

2 hours ago, Daisi said:

I'd be happy just to see my family in Canada.  The East Coast provinces are not allowing visitors in, only if you own property or now, if you are from one of the 3 provinces.  

I am sorry for both of you @gnome12 and @KathyK13 but I really hope our borders remain closed until the virus is more controlled in the States.  I see they are now actually charging American tourists who are coming up here and not doing the quarantine.  They better watch out, if they get to many, they could end up doing jail time, and that would interfere with them coming up to their summer homes.

I agree with you completely, Daisi.  Every country needs to do what they need to keep safe.  We have had low numbers here for quite awhile because we locked down early and opened slowly.  But it's a different story in other states.

22 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

My post contained two types of prose: a statement of fact [about how Americans react when we are told what to do – amply proved by developments since June 8] and a joke about the lack of enforcement.  Neither was a suggestion about how people should act.  Sorry if that wasn't clear.  Humo(u)r clearly doesn't travel across borders.  😉

Still a very inappropriate post making a joke of the Holocaust by referencing placing the letter "A" on clothing for all to see.  You should resign as a "host!"

13 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Still a very inappropriate post making a joke of the Holocaust by referencing placing the letter "A" on clothing for all to see.  You should resign as a "host!"

Really?😲  I didn't read anything like that into the post............boy, the internet can be a funky medium............

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Really?😲  I didn't read anything like that into the post............boy, the internet can be a funky medium............

History.  Jews have been forced to wear identifying clothing in some locales (including Christian) since the 13th Century.

Holocaust Museum:

Reinhard Heydrich, chief of the Reich Main Security Office, first recommended that Jews should wear identifying badges following the Kristallnacht pogrom of November 9 and 10, 1938. Shortly after the invasion of Poland in September 1939, local German authorities began introducing mandatory wearing of badges. By the end of 1939, all Jews in the newly-acquired Polish territories were required to wear badges. Upon invading the Soviet Union in June 1941, the Germans again applied this requirement to newly-conquered lands. 

I believe that Jazzbeau's reference was to Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter.

The "A" in the Scarlet Letter was for "adultery"---which is why my mind went in the direction of Hawthorne--he did not choose a "C" for "covid" but an "A", like in the novel.

Edited by sharkster77
  • Like 7

35 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

History.  Jews have been forced to wear identifying clothing in some locales (including Christian) since the 13th Century.

Holocaust Museum:

Reinhard Heydrich, chief of the Reich Main Security Office, first recommended that Jews should wear identifying badges following the Kristallnacht pogrom of November 9 and 10, 1938. Shortly after the invasion of Poland in September 1939, local German authorities began introducing mandatory wearing of badges. By the end of 1939, all Jews in the newly-acquired Polish territories were required to wear badges. Upon invading the Soviet Union in June 1941, the Germans again applied this requirement to newly-conquered lands. 

I know the history......  I still don't believe he meant his post that way. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

The "A" on clothing has absolutely nothing to do with the Holocaust.  It's a reference to Nathaniel Hawthorne's novel "The Scarlet Letter".  The "A" stands for Adultress.  @sharkster77 and I were posting at the same time.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

You should resign as a "host!"

I don't think Host Jazzbeau is going to resign because you don't have a grasp of classic American literature. 😜

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

While I didn’t find the “joke” at all funny, the letter “A” on clothing is far more reminiscent of “The Scarlet Letter” than the Holocaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

15 hours ago, Senga said:

I have no idea if Host Jazzbeau was referring to the Scarlett Letter or the Holocaust in his ill-phrased post, but I can say that it demonstrates an American attitude of "who cares I'll do what I want" or "the rules don't apply to me".  In Canada, we have a mandatory 14-day quarantine for people arriving in the country from elsewhere.  While most visitors and returning citizens respect these protocols, some Americans have been observed  to be opening defying them.  I guess they believe, as apparently does Host Jazzbeau, that quarantine doesn't matter and life goes on as usual, since who's to know you're supposed to be under quarantine?  There's nothing funny about it.

• Like 1

I understood it as a joke, and did not take it any other way. Yes, we Americans are not getting a handle on this situation due to many people making poor choices.  I am still able to find humor in situations, and find a bit of brevity helpful during these unusual times of negativity. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, MightyQuinn said:

I have no idea if Host Jazzbeau was referring to the Scarlett Letter or the Holocaust in his ill-phrased post, but I can say that it demonstrates an American attitude of "who cares I'll do what I want" or "the rules don't apply to me".  In Canada, we have a mandatory 14-day quarantine for people arriving in the country from elsewhere.  While most visitors and returning citizens respect these protocols, some Americans have been observed  to be opening defying them.  I guess they believe, as apparently does Host Jazzbeau, that quarantine doesn't matter and life goes on as usual, since who's to know you're supposed to be under quarantine?  There's nothing funny about it.

Do the police do anything about people ignoring the quarantine?

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

Do the police do anything about people ignoring the quarantine?

They have also fined some in the Banff area for not going directly to Alaska.  Not only a fine, but also had to quarantine for 14 days, and pay people to get them food etc.  I am thinking that as long as the number of people not obeying the quarantine rules stays low, that will be all they do...but if they start pressing the legal charges (which would probably only happen after the same person was caught breaking quarantine a couple of times), that could be interesting.  Not sure how future trips across the border would work with that on the record.

14 hours ago, Roz said:

The "A" on clothing has absolutely nothing to do with the Holocaust.  It's a reference to Nathaniel Hawthorne's novel "The Scarlet Letter".  The "A" stands for Adultress.  @sharkster77 and I were posting at the same time.  

Well said Roz.

And quite understandably,  Americans are now viewed as the Typhoid Mary of our planet. Sad.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, MightyQuinn said:

I think Jazz (sorry Jazz, I know I can't speak for you, but this is how I took your comments as) was speaking as a reference to the Americans who don't take Covid seriously...the ones who crowd the beaches, go to parties, clubs etc.  I know not all feel the same, I see it on this board as well as with friends from the US who I talk with daily on Face Book.  However, watching US news in the mornings there always seems to be a lot of coverage of people who don't seem to care about how serious this can be.  Just as there are Canadians who disregard quarantines etc (thinking Ont & Quebec, but I'm sure all provinces have their culprits), there are a lot of Americans who wouldn't do it.  I think the main difference is, our disregard of quarantine comes with a hefty fine and possibly jail time....so maybe we tend to respect the request a bit more?

When he mentioned the scarlett A, the book was what I thought of.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Daisi said:

I think Jazz (sorry Jazz, I know I can't speak for you, but this is how I took your comments as) was speaking as a reference to the Americans who don't take Covid seriously...the ones who crowd the beaches, go to parties, clubs etc.  I know not all feel the same, I see it on this board as well as with friends from the US who I talk with daily on Face Book.  However, watching US news in the mornings there always seems to be a lot of coverage of people who don't seem to care about how serious this can be.  Just as there are Canadians who disregard quarantines etc (thinking Ont & Quebec, but I'm sure all provinces have their culprits), there are a lot of Americans who wouldn't do it.  I think the main difference is, our disregard of quarantine comes with a hefty fine and possibly jail time....so maybe we tend to respect the request a bit more?

I initially interpreted the post by Host Jazzbeau as a brush-off of quarantine.  I took it to be a flippant suggestion that self-isolation would be easy to disregard and folks could simply carry on business as usual by skirting quarantine measures.  I thought that was irresponsible.  Now I see that his post could also be taken as an innocent statement of fact about how he perceived that Americans would react. 

I think Canadians, by and large, are listening to public health officials about covid and we accept their recommendations on protocols to protect our collective health and security.  We don't really see these measures as a threat to our individual rights and freedoms.  As for hefty fines or imprisonment for breaking quarantine, I think that will be applied only to the most egregious offenders.  I know that here in BC, our Provincial Health Officer has always stressed the importance of education over enforcement for any covid measures.  So far, it's been working well and we hope it continues going forward.