Oct 16 - what are the chances?

Until cruises set sail again, I would treat any current reservation as an uncertainty and have a plan B in mind.  For a corporate retreat, you would be much safer off planning something at a land-based resort this year.  I do believe that when cruises do resume, Florida will start up first simply because that is the bread and butter of the American cruise industry.  So, your chances of sailing are slightly better than they would be leaving from a different state or country.

• Like 2

This was reported today:

MIAMI – There has been a record rise in the number of positive coronavirus cases in Florida.

I'm guessing cruises in or out of any port in Florida for 2020 are zero to none.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, atanac said:

This was reported today:

MIAMI – There has been a record rise in the number of positive coronavirus cases in Florida.

I'm guessing cruises in or out of any port in Florida for 2020 are zero to none.

It really does matter who is testing positive though - if they are younger chances are they wont be hospitalized and deaths won't rise accordingly.  Over the past 4 months I hope we have learned how to better protect at risk people.

But, obviously the virus is still spreading around and as long as it is, I don't think cruising will start back up.

Edited by mek

9 hours ago, flamingos said:

My group is scheduled for a 'working cruise' with meetings, sailing Oct. 16 out of Canaveral. If it's not going to sail, we need to come up with an alternative plan. Anyone's crystal ball working today?

Since you'll be on the Mariner I'd say you have a good chance. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mek said:

I have a November cruise on Oasis and I don't think it will sail.

We are on HotS in November. I started getting a tingling feeling we will not sail. I expect August and September to be canceled in the next 3 weeks. Which would put November in the crosshairs. That begs the question, do we want to be the real first Guinea Pigs.

31 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

That begs the question, do we want to be the real first Guinea Pigs.

It's a tough job but someone has to do it. Thank God for the 3 or 4 people on CC who have committed themselves to be on the first cruise out come hell or high water. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Retired LEO said:

Since you'll be on the Mariner I'd say you have a good chance. 

Valid point.

Even if the ship sails, isn’t it supposed to be a lower capacity?  Would all the workers make it on board?  If not, how successful would their working vacation be?

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Thanks 1

Eventually after many months of pushing cruises back when do you say until we try it how will we know what is going to happen?? no one knows at this point so go ahead and try for the sake of cruising. because how long can they cancel cruises and keep there business afloat?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, COCKYMARK said:

Eventually after many months of pushing cruises back when do you say until we try it how will we know what is going to happen?? no one knows at this point so go ahead and try for the sake of cruising. because how long can they cancel cruises and keep there business afloat?

You are right, at some point the cruiselines need to start at least in areas where the numbers of new cases of COVID-19 are low. However as long as the virus is around there is a realistic likelyhod that someone or a number of guests and or crew onboard will be positive with the virus on board and for this specific protocols will need to be developed on how the cruise can continue without getting a outbreak and not to be in a scenario that ports will not grant the ships to dock.

Also, at this stage it will be difficult to bring crews on board as in regions such as Philipines, India or Indonesia the situation also doesn't look to good + there are restictions in place to travel to and from these countries which also made the crew repatiration so challening.

I was hoping for a Europe start in August, with a soft start of having Allure and maybe Apex from X start sailing, but for the time being it doesn't look that this will happen either.

3 hours ago, bigrednole said:

We are on HotS in November. I started getting a tingling feeling we will not sail. I expect August and September to be canceled in the next 3 weeks. Which would put November in the crosshairs. That begs the question, do we want to be the real first Guinea Pigs.

Not me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, COCKYMARK said:

It is my understanding that the cruise lines have a business plan in place without any cruises going out in 2020.  They would have to have this right now because there isn't any way they are just winging it month by month.

• Like 1

I just hope when the cdc no sail order lifts in july we start getting more information. 

OP the fact is no one knows. I'm hoping for my October cruise. People posting as no dont know any more than we knew months ago. I dont think we will get more information until the no sail order lifts. .. maybe another round of cancellations before then which tells us nothing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, atanac said:

This was reported today:

There are more cases because of the of the testing.  More important to watch the hospitalizations, if they go up.

Edited by PattiHere
  • Like 2

We were scheduled for a charter on the Brilliance in November and Royal is working with our vendor of this charter to get moved till next year.  The vendor had 5 charters in a row on the Brilliance.  Our Country Cruising was one of them affected.  We have a 12 nighter on the Anthem scheduled in December...fingers crossed but the caribbean has to be ready to take tourists and will they at that point? who knows...

2 minutes ago, PattiHere said:

There are more cases because of the of the testing.  More important to watch the hospitalizations, if they go up.

I agree but aren't they doing more testing across the state. If there are positive cases it means there were symptoms to be tested. I realize Miami is more populated but is there anything happening there in terms of socialization or opening stores and restaurants that's not happening in the rest of the state?  New York is opening one phase at a time which started up state. Long Island hit phase 2 last week. NYC just went into phase 1 on June 8th.