Another projection of cruise openings

Oxo

Thank you for posting the link.  As with what's typical with The Points Guy (IMO) I didn't notice anything new.  It will be interesting to see what happens to the restart timelines after the 100 day ban has passed/been lifted.  According to the leaked NCL start up schedule, many ships are looking at a restart that falls well after the hopeful conclusion of the CDC's 100 day ban.  

2 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I think the issue may switch from CDC to available ports.  Many are extending closers.  

Yes, I agree that this is very likely.  Although, several Caribbean ports are anxiously awaiting cruise ships.  OTOH, I just read that some land resorts in the Bahamas are pushing back their scheduled July opening.  

I wonder if the cruise lines will be vying with other to NOT be the first one starting up, preferring to let one of their competitors play the role of the canary in the coal mine.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Yes, I agree that this is very likely.  Although, several Caribbean ports are anxiously awaiting cruise ships.  OTOH, I just read that some land resorts in the Bahamas are pushing back their scheduled July opening.  

Private islands as well will probably be on the first itineraries.  Unfortunately for us, those locations have no appeal.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

I wonder if the cruise lines will be vying with other to NOT be the first one starting up, preferring to let one of their competitors play the role of the canary in the coal mine.

I think a good point and some evidence that this happening already.  Some cruise lines have extended their No Cruising dates further than others.  See P&O and Princess for examples.

49 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I think the issue may switch from CDC to available ports.  Many are extending closers.  

I've mentioned this many times but ignored. Like is cozumel open. All ships out of Galveston stop here.

All they want is to argue about cdc. 

I guess no one knows about ports so they rather talk about cdc. But yea I agree this is important . .which ports are open to cruising.

17 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I've mentioned this many times but ignored. Like is cozumel open. All ships out of Galveston stop here.

All they want is to argue about cdc. 

I guess no one knows about ports so they rather talk about cdc. But yea I agree this is important . .which ports are open to cruising.

Agree.  And which sailings happen the first 2-3 months.  It's not like they're going to flip a switch and every ship/every sailing starts up at once.

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Someone posted in an NCL thread that MSC was preparing for a start up in the Med.  If that's true then perhaps the cruise lines will look to see how that goes before starting up state side.

What are the MSC ship size. In this case, size does matter. 😇

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I'm curious which ones have decided to push back? Atlantis has already started sending the "we're back!" emails so I wonder if they've had to backtrack already.

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

What are the MSC ship size. In this case, size does matter. 😇

1 hour ago, blueskadoo said:

I'm curious which ones have decided to push back? Atlantis has already started sending the "we're back!" emails so I wonder if they've had to backtrack already.

About 160 ton. Seaside. 

1 hour ago, blueskadoo said:

Sandals Royal Bahamian near Nassau is November 1st.  Their resort on Grand Exuma is aiming for July 1st.

This is a listing of their scheduled opening dates by island. Some resorts on the same islands are opening at different times. As of now Barbados has no official dates for the two resorts there. 

https://www.sandals.com/grand-reopening/

Baha Mar near Nassau is not opening until October. 

https://ewnews.com/baha-mar-postpones-reopening-to-october-announces-further-layoffs?fbclid=IwAR2i1cJFIfoAH41UlYItkZWjIb4_Zc8AlX8Lmvml24hAEr4fxmrMwWr12A4

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I think a good point and some evidence that this happening already.  Some cruise lines have extended their No Cruising dates further than others.  See P&O and Princess for examples.

No surprise about Princess. They will probably be the last to start up given that they are the poster child for Covid at sea sailings.

• Like 3

Curious how long it will take to crew up once decision is made.   Returning crew to their homes took months and getting them back will be complicated given restrictions on international travel and scarcity of flights.  Expect they'll have to start moving people at least a month ahead of re-start.   That's something to keep an eye out for.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

Baha Mar near Nassau is not opening until October.

Did anything change? It says they open July 1. Perhaps July 1 date is for domestic travelers?

Edited by Arzeena

1 hour ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Curious how long it will take to crew up once decision is made.   Returning crew to their homes took months and getting them back will be complicated given restrictions on international travel and scarcity of flights.  Expect they'll have to start moving people at least a month ahead of re-start.   That's something to keep an eye out for.

And the fact they will have to be trained, not only in their jobs but in implementing new procedures for dealing with the Virus.

Which by the way, RCI has not said a word as to what they are going to do.

Airlines, Disney and others are announcing what measures are going to be taken....

RCI gives the impression they're in no hurry. People with reservations and those looking to book do not have a clue.
I have flight reservations for Jan. and had to go and select new seat assignments, and choose a new departure time because they went with a larger plane, allowing more empty seats, spacing between passengers. Every other seat.
We are also going to Disney in Orlando, and I have been getting e-mail news updates on the progress to open.

I have reservation with RCI....and being told nothing.  They act like there's plenty of time.

Edited by B-52
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, B-52 said:

And the fact they will have to be trained, not only in their jobs but in implementing new procedures for dealing with the Virus.

Which by the way, RCI has not said a word as to what they are going to do.

Airlines, Disney and others are announcing what measures are going to be taken....

RCI gives the impression they're in no hurry. People with reservations and those looking to book do not have a clue.
I have flight reservations for Jan. and had to go and select new seat assignments, and choose a new departure time because they went with a larger plane, allowing more empty seats, spacing between passengers. Every other seat.
We are also going to Disney in Orlando, and I have been getting e-mail news updates on the progress to open.

I have reservation with RCI....and being told nothing.  They act like there's plenty of time.

Cuz there is plenty of time. The virus facts are changing weekly. Im sure the cruis industry is tired of constantly updating protocol. By august infection rate may be very low or not. Ports may be open,or not. Theres nothing concrete. Everyone wants concrete answers. Imo they wont sail come august 1st. We will see.

4 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Capacity? I once had a Master 100 Gross Ton Coastal license. 

That's 160,000 tons. 😉🤣🤣

Screenshot_20200614-171359_Chrome.thumb.jpg.353733eac595a0995987199011a06353.jpg

Good as you are, I don't think they will give you the keys

Edited by John&LaLa