The Daily for Saturday Jun 20, 2020

richwmn

today is National Bald Eagle Day and Ice Cream Soda Day

Q:  What's a light-year?
A:  One-third less calories than a regular year.

Meal suggestion for today - Lentil & sweet potato curry

Wine for today - Wine & Soul Douro Manoella vintage 2016

At Sea Indian Ocean
Eurodam destination Singapore eta 6/21
Zuiderdam destination Manila eta 6/25

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam destination Balboa Panama eta 6/23

Balboa Panama
Oosterdam

Jakarta Anchorage
Veendam

Lubuan
Maasdam

Manila Anchorage
Amsterdam
Nieuw Amsterdam off Manila
Noordam
Rotterdam
Volendam

Singapore Anchorage
Westerdam

Scheveningen NL Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam
Zaandam

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the Daily, Rich 🙂 

Ice cream soda - yum - perfect hot day for one today 🙂.  Love the Bald Eagle Day - such glorious birds.

I’ll pass on the curry but the Mancella sounds intriguing.  Must research 😉 

• Like 2

Good morning.

Thank you for the Daily Report.  A highlight of my morning.

Haven't seen any bald eagles around here lately.  There are a few places we see them, but, I guess I haven't gotten out much lately.

I'll pass on the dinner suggestion, but I would love to try the wine.  It's going to be another hot one here, so I may have an ice cream soda.

Hope you have a great day.

Stay healthy.

• Like 2

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I really do appreciate your doing this for us all.

Morning to all the Dailyites & my CC Sisters! Joy good luck today! Denise missed you yesterday, hope all is ok.

We just had two bald eaglets fledge just a bit North of me. A local group has several cameras, so we could watch the entire process: from the parents building the nest to the fledging.  Cheers to Jules & Romy - May they live long and amazing lives.

@rafinmd there used to be a bald eagle’s nest in a park on the Eastern Shore a bit North of the Bay Bridge. There were not always eaglets, but...  Too bad I do not remember the name of the park, or the town it was near. 

Ice cream soda & the meal suggestion sound good. Another wine to research!

Thank you for the quote, it is great to start the day with a laugh.

Stay well everyone!

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  We have bald eagles flying over from time to time (one of the benefits of living on the "frozen tundra"), and it's always nice to see them.  Don't tell anyone, but DH makes THE best orange ice cream sodas anywhere!  He makes them with a ton of foam on the top (which I always get), and they're very creamy.  We always have ingredients on hand to make them, especially in the summer.

We made the 400 mile (643km) trip home yesterday - we break it up by stopping in small towns along the way just to see what's in their stores.  Fortunately wherever we stopped, they had washroom facilities open to the public, which made the trek much more comfortable.  Now that we're home, I'm going to pull something out of the freezer to barbecue for dinner tonight to celebrate the first official day of summer.  (When we were kids, didn't it used to happen on June 21st?)  And wine.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 1

Good morning, and thanks, Rich,

Love seeing the bald eagles "day".  My mom and I would follow two nests--one in Florida sponsored by a realtor if I remember correctly.  Her name was Harriet but I don't remember the dad's name.  The other was near D.C. and the eagles were named the President and First Lady (IIRC).  Haven't followed them since mom passed away.   Seeing them in the wilds of Alaska was amazing.

Coffee sodas my favorite and so easy to make at home too.  Great for these hot and humid days ahead.

Not a fan of curries so we'll have chicken on the grill tonight with roasted peppers and zucchini.  Maybe a soda for dessert.

Have a good weekend on this the longest day of the year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  We have bald eagles flying over from time to time (one of the benefits of living on the "frozen tundra"), and it's always nice to see them.  Don't tell anyone, but DH makes THE best orange ice cream sodas anywhere!  He makes them with a ton of foam on the top (which I always get), and they're very creamy.  We always have ingredients on hand to make them, especially in the summer.

We made the 400 mile (643km) trip home yesterday - we break it up by stopping in small towns along the way just to see what's in their stores.  Fortunately wherever we stopped, they had washroom facilities open to the public, which made the trek much more comfortable.  Now that we're home, I'm going to pull something out of the freezer to barbecue for dinner tonight to celebrate the first official day of summer.  (When we were kids, didn't it used to happen on June 21st?)  And wine.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Glad you are home safe!  I never really paid attention to the date of the Summer Solstice until I retired, so I can not help. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

@rafinmd there used to be a bald eagle’s nest in a park on the Eastern Shore a bit North of the Bay Bridge. There were not always eaglets, but...  Too bad I do not remember the name of the park, or the town it was near. 

Sadly, I don't normally notice eagles on a routine basis but Dutch Harbor especially stands out in my mind.

2eagle.jpg

Roy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

(When we were kids, didn't it used to happen on June 21st?)

It hasn't changed, we have just become more pedantic.  Summer actually begins at the point where the sun climbs highest above the horizon, which varies from year to year, especially since a year has about an extra quarter day.  I don't think it's ever earlier than June 20 or later than June 21 but it can vary over about a 24-hour window.  I think June 21 is a good number, sometimes the first day of summer and other times the first full day of summer.

Roy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, and thank you, Rich, for the report.  I watch the Florida eagles, Harriet and her new mate,  M15;   the two eaglets are about to fledge.  The parents are such good providers. 

https://www.dickpritchettrealestate.com/eagle-feed.html
We have eagles overhead here often.  And vultures.

Thanks for the report Rich. I’ll pass on the dinner suggestion. It’s hard to make some you’ve never tasted. 

To celebrate summer do I wash the car and do laundry or go for a kayak ride on the river? Oh well, I bet the dirt will still be on the car tomorrow. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Happily@Sea said:

Lots of Bald Eagles within a short distance - we have 3 good-sized fresh water lakes surrounding the area - they are great fishing birds - but sometimes thieves, too.

We have lots here, too, backing onto farmland with a salmon-bearing creek.  There are many young and juveniles right now, and one day last week we had many of them soaring over our home.  Wonderful to watch.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lindaler said:

Thanks for the report Rich. I’ll pass on the dinner suggestion. It’s hard to make some you’ve never tasted. 

To celebrate summer do I wash the car and do laundry or go for a kayak ride on the river? Oh well, I bet the dirt will still be on the car tomorrow. 

Exactly! Enjoy your kayak cruise!

• Like 1

Thanks for the daily Rich.  Living in a city we would very rarely see an eagle, but I love being on a cruise (especially to Alaska) where we see eagles in abundance.  I will take a pass in the dinner suggestion.   Has anyone else had to log onto CC quite often over the past several weeks?   Love the saying, if only!

1 hour ago, gigianne said:

Thanks for the daily Rich.  Living in a city we would very rarely see an eagle, but I love being on a cruise (especially to Alaska) where we see eagles in abundance.  I will take a pass in the dinner suggestion.   Has anyone else had to log onto CC quite often over the past several weeks?   Love the saying, if only!

I use an iPad and have remained logged on for at least a few months.

BUT last year I had a major problem, same iPad - but horrible problem, and it disappeared after I switched providers.  I did not expect that to be a benefit of the change, but it was. And of course, it could have been totally unrelated.

Good luck with finding the cause.

• Like 1