$3,000 Deposit to Enter Cambodia

Just saw on a Philippines travel site that Cambodia will require a $3,000 deposits from tourists to enter the country.  The deposit is to cover the costs of COVID-19 testing, possible quarantine and/or hospitalization.  Supposedly the unspent balance will be returned upon exit.  There are currently no RCI cruises scheduled to port in Cambodia, and the country has only reported 179 C-19 positive tests.  Perhaps other countries will pick up on the idea.

Yep.  Might as well make it $3M.

What do you do when you don't get your deposit back?  Good luck with that.

Cost of the Cambodian deposit - $3,000

Cost of a Cambodian CV-19 test - $2,999

Cost to avoid Cambodia - Priceless

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The $3000 deposit exists at the moment although Cambodia is not issuing any tourist visas. It is aimed at allowing workers to return to the country and is paid direct into one of two banks. The balance of the deposit is returned at the end of the 14 day quarantine period minus the test fee and 2 days accommodation (about $300).  Perhaps the UK could adopt this since it now requires a 14 day quarantine and travel insurance may not cover Covid-19.

The country has an amazing culture and Siem Reap is well worth a visit as it is steeped in history.  You could also spend weeks exploring other parts of this developing nation to broaden the mind and understand more about South East Asia. 

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, billet said:

The country has an amazing culture and Siem Reap is well worth a visit as it is steeped in history.  You could also spend weeks exploring other parts of this developing nation to broaden the mind and understand more about South East Asia. 

To me the replies on this thread so far other than this one have been highly disappointing....

The 7th wonder of the world, Angkor Wat

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 10

30 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

To me the replies on this thread so far other than this one have been highly disappointing....

I'd absolutely love to visit

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mugtech said:

Perhaps other countries will pick up on the idea.

My limited understanding is that this rule is because Cambodia is a poor country and they can’t afford to pay for visitors to get sick in their country.  I would guess that only poor countries would consider something like this (although I also think you could accomplish much of this with proof of insurance.) What bothers me the most is that, if one person tests positive from your plane, everyone on the plane needs to quarantine for two weeks.

Not sure how this would/could equate to cruising - I suppose the entire ship would be forbidden to stop if one person on board had it and maybe (?) the cruise line could hold the deposit.  IDK. But, I do know that one day I would like to go see Angkor Wat.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

Far from disappointing for me. Those replies are from precisely the type of people I wouldn't want to bump into on my visit to Cambodia - which is on my bucket list 😁

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Bobal said:

Far from disappointing for me. Those replies are from precisely the type of people I wouldn't want to bump into on my visit to Cambodia - which is on my bucket list 😁

Post some pictures after your Cambodia visit.  From what I have heard, Cambodia is a beautiful place to visit.

• Like 2

Just think about how much more expensive tours to this country would be?! Why would anyone want to go there, especially knowing how bad their medical system is. This 3000$ will only be enough to take you back home. But what if something very extraordinary happens? Where would your money go? I wouldnt risk it 

The point is I wouldn't visit any country that required a $3,000 deposit to enter.  That's terrible marketing by the way.

"Things are so bad here you are probably going to die so we'll go ahead and charge a large sum upfront so we don't get stuck with your body".

Heck if Canada required a $3,000 deposit for non-residents I wouldn't go.  Same with France, Germany, UK, etc.

If you don't want tourists to visit just ban them.  

21 hours ago, billet said:

It is aimed at allowing workers to return to the country and is paid direct into one of two banks. The balance of the deposit is returned at the end of the 14 day quarantine period minus the test fee and 2 days accommodation (about $300). 

Where would the average Cambodian get that kind of money? 

I might be misinformed but I thought it was quite a poor country. Am I mistaken?

4 hours ago, twangster said:

The point is I wouldn't visit any country that required a $3,000 deposit to enter.  That's terrible marketing by the way.

"Things are so bad here you are probably going to die so we'll go ahead and charge a large sum upfront so we don't get stuck with your body".

Heck if Canada required a $3,000 deposit for non-residents I wouldn't go.  Same with France, Germany, UK, etc.

If you don't want tourists to visit just ban them.  

Cambodia is closed to foreign tourists. The entry process is for workers and foreign residents. They are not trying to market, their border is still closed to the majority of visitors. You won't be going to Canada either since only Canadian residents and family can enter at the moment. 

15 minutes ago, billet said:

Cambodia is closed to foreign tourists.

Thanks for clarify, I was simply going by OP's original post.

On 6/27/2020 at 12:46 PM, mugtech said:

Just saw on a Philippines travel site that Cambodia will require a $3,000 deposits from tourists to enter the country. 

15 minutes ago, billet said:

You won't be going to Canada either since only Canadian residents and family can enter at the moment. 

So Canadian citizens can't return?  Sucks to be an Ex-Pat when your country of birth blocks you from entering.

Edited by twangster